Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone EDC food?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Anyone EDC food?
Reply #30 on: May 26, 2019, 05:06:56 PM
I have little experience with real winter but it seems to me that if you kept water bottles in an insulated cooler that it would prevent them from freezing or at least contain the spill if any bottles did burst from freezing. Just a thought.

Winters vary greatly, but the short answer is that the water will eventually freeze, it will just take longer in a cooler.  By themselves the water may freeze in a few hours or overnight, while in a cooler it could take a few days, but it will freeze eventually.

I also second hat Nate said about the plastic bottles.  I used to leave a case of bottled water in the back of the Jeep and they would freeze, and I don't recall any of them actually rupturing.

Of course, there's not a lot of point to having water in the car if it's virtually useless to you when you need it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: May 26, 2019, 11:06:38 PM
Of course, there's not a lot of point to having water in the car if it's virtually useless to you when you need it.

That's where the cans of Sterno and stainless steel cup come in.   :cheers:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #32 on: May 26, 2019, 11:46:56 PM
And a knife to cut away the bottle.  Yes, I have done it before.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #33 on: May 27, 2019, 12:29:52 AM
I keep a can of Red Bull in my work bag.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: May 27, 2019, 12:57:18 AM
I carry water and food in each vehicle and whenever I am carrying a bag of any kind there will be something in there too!
I get CRAZY when hungry really.
Right now I am in a Rice Crispy Treats "Phase" and they are easy to carry and keep well while giving me a quick boost as needed.
I also stock crackers with various crap on them and candy and nuts and gum.
Each car also has a bag with bugout stuff including MRE and Survival Bars along with extra water.
I have had a lot of water freeze but so far none has escaped.

This morning I got stuck in my shop during a torrential downpour when the hunger struck and I squeezed a Hash Browns & Bacon MRE side or 2 I am happy to report!

Tasty!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #35 on: May 27, 2019, 05:19:46 AM
I have frozen bottles of water to chill a cooler for group activities and while they bulged at the bottom we never had one burst. The best part is no mess in the cooler or sandwiches floating in the melt water from ice, and as the bottles warmed we had cold drinking water.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: May 27, 2019, 02:41:08 PM
I have frozen bottles of water to chill a cooler for group activities and while they bulged at the bottom we never had one burst. The best part is no mess in the cooler or sandwiches floating in the melt water from ice, and as the bottles warmed we had cold drinking water.
This is how I keep bottled water cold in the cooler in my trucks too.
If not carrying my Hydroflask with ice water I load 3 frozen Sport bottles under 3 cold fresh ones and the frozen ones keep the cold ones cold all day easily inside the hot trucks.

The only problems I have ever had with this is when I forget to see if a bottle is just ice or fresh water and drink an ice one accidenitly,some of mine have been refrozen 100 times easily and are not as fresh as new ones!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%