Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for slimmest scissors and saw

us Offline Tarheelpwr

Looking for slimmest scissors and saw
on: May 25, 2019, 03:59:23 AM
I’m very new to SAK - been mostly a plier based MT guy.  But, I’m looking for a scissor and saw to compliment my EDC center drive.

I see the huntsman, but that has LOTS of stuff i. Don’t need. Is there anything smaller?

Can someone make me a 2 layer tool with the scissors and saw?  I wouldn’t mind both metal and wood saws if I had to add somethings.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Re: Looking for slimmest scissors and saw
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 04:47:41 AM
maybe an older discontinued model has that configuration, but I don't think there is one now, huntsman or the evolution 18 version are probably the "smallest"
The evo has no hook, but is probably about same width as huntsman.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 04:56:35 AM
Welcome to the world of SAK!
 :cheers:

With regard to current production models with both scissors and saw, I'm afraid a four-layer knife (Huntsman, Fieldmaster, Evo 17, or Evo 18) is as small as it gets.

The saw takes a full layer (typically with no back spring tool).  The scissors also take a full layer (typically with hook on the back spring).  I don't see any technical reason why a two-layer mod consisting of just these two layers could not be done.

Other mod options might include Compact + saw, or Huntsman (or similar) - opener layer, either of which would be a three-layer mod.

FWIW, I find the Huntsman (or equivalents) to be easy pocket carry, though not everyone agrees.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 07:35:29 AM
^^^^  Yep - That is the story

However - As my name might suggest - I can thoroughly recommend the Hunstman - I carried one for decades   :tu:   :D
Depending on your needs - You may even find you could carry a Huntsman (or a Fieldmaster) instead of the Centre Drive, on days when you don't need pliers/heavy duty ?  ???

Else a Mod ......  Compact + Saw would be pretty good !! Or even highly customised 2 layer Saw + Scissors mod!!
One of the US modders could knock one up for you - You could even try yourself - See the modding guides in the Mod Forum
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 08:17:10 AM by Huntsman »

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 10:11:41 AM
Other than a custom mod, you could look at the 85mm Evolution range. The scissors/saw combo is a little thinner than the Huntsman.
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 06:33:10 PM
A Marlboro - The Trail Guide has Scissors the Metal Saw. ...Which I find cuts wood okay. Better with hardwoods than anything green. I would like this model better if it came with a back Phillips instead.

A mod with just just the scissors and wood saw would have a blank spot in the back that might bother some. Might look least goofy with the scissor/hook version on that side, but the spring would be partly exposed.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 06:37:24 PM
And the mod wouldn't have a keyring. Or I can't think of a way to incorporate a factory looking one, unless it's a shackle type.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 03:03:24 AM
If you want to follow the mod route, how about taking a Ranger and removing the blade and opener layers? Keep the associated back side tools and you'd have a nice multitool a little thinner than a Camper - and you'd have parts for a Spartan left over. ;)
Rambler

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 10:29:37 AM
There's still no easy way around the ugliness of the scale gap where the corkscrew won't be when removing the blade layer. If you can't live with a Huntsman, I'd take the saw from a Camper and add it to the Compact as you get to keep the lanyard loop which is in a different location already on the Compact. The Camper can be rebuilt to a Spartan and the Compact basically becomes a Trail Guide with a wood saw instead of a file. You would still need new brass rod to build out the Camper another layer. Alternatively, just ditch the opener layer of a Huntsman and reuse the brass pins as there should be enough length left. But then there's no lanyard loop.
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 10:40:23 AM
Layer comparison:
Handyman (6)
Ranger (5)
Huntsman (4)
Camper (3)
Compact (2)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 10:43:13 AM
FYI: you can put the saw in the blade layer, instead of the blades, and keeping the corkscrew!
You just need to make a spacer on the keyring end to fill the empty spot and provide a place for the sawtip to rest on when closed.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 10:45:13 AM
Here's the way jaya_man did it, but it's not the only way:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,68332.0.html
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 11:07:55 AM
That's a great idea DP...especially if you can use the Compact as the base and you then get the saw, scissors and retain the corkscrew in a 2-layer SAK...but it would need some spacers on the other end.

This does seem to be the best solution for this request!  :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%