Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tile and other trackers

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Tile and other trackers
on: May 26, 2019, 04:47:34 PM
I have often looked at Tiles but never really felt I needed one.  Things like my wallet, keys, phone etc are rarely misplaced as I am a creature of habit and almost always put them in the same spot.  If they aren't in the usual spot then they usually are in one or two other places, and again, not too far.

But, I recently got a Tile built into my Keysmart Pro and it got me interested in experimenting a bit more. 

Anyone else use a Tile or other tracker and have any thoughts/insights/experience to share?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Tile and other trackers
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 05:24:02 PM
I've tried a BT tracker couple years ago, and I just can't recall the name for the best of me.  It was in a coin shape(possibly Chipolo or Trackr), and it was so underwhelming that I just don't even remember its name.

My main complain about that tracker was it's inconsistency--after dozens of tests, in different places and settings, the only conclusion I draw is the inconsistency.  Under the same setting, sometimes it works and sometimes it simply doesn't, and there is simply no valid explanation.  The worst is the limited app or the features lack thereof, the whole thing is just dumb.  Meanwhile, I got some El Cheapo Chinese 'proximity personal alarm', and it works like a charm.  However, due to it larger size, I didn't bother to continue to use that.

I sure tech has advanced enough nowadays, and hopefully something better would have surfaced by now. 

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 09:23:20 PM
I like the idea of a Tile, and the more people that use them, the better they become.

The Til app on your phone apparently registers all Tiles in range, and when you list something as lost it's location is updated as soon as it is in range of any phone with the Tile app installed.  Between the popularity of Tile and the population of most cities, I can't imagine anything would stay lost that long.  It also seems like it might be handy for a lost dog or other pet, and it looks like you could put the dog's name and contact info (like any other tag) on it in case your dog (or really anything) in case someone without the Tile app locates it.

I can see some neat potential for it, especially having worked in the cargo/shipping industry for so long.  I would be tempted to "tag" a piece of cargo for real time tracking because dispatchers often have a very interesting take on where something is located. I once had one insist over the phone that his driver was in the job site's parking lot, while I was standing in the middle of the totally empty parking lot trying very patiently to explain to him why he was wrong.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline GotUCovered

Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 09:40:45 AM
I use the Tile Pro's and have been really happy with them.  My wife has one in her wallet and on her keychain and I have one on my keychain and embedded into my computer case.  They all work great.  Cool extra feature with them is that you can use the tiles to locate your phone well!

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 09:24:19 AM
Is use Tiles eveywhere. KeySmart Pro, car keys, work bag, purse and even one in my car.
Tip! If you have an iPhonr and sign uo for the beta app you have free access to all the pro options like history etc.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%