Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

the Amazing August Explorer Challenge!

TonySal · 1384 · 22228

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Re: the Amazing August Explorer Challenge!
Reply #1290 on: August 30, 2019, 07:09:32 PM
Day 30

Figure I’d do another snack photo for comis on the last day.

Ice cream and whiskey again.  I don’t cut it open like Nix, because I don’t eat the entire pint in one sitting.
(Image removed from quote.)
Nice Arleigh Burke glass.

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #1291 on: August 30, 2019, 07:30:56 PM
:rofl:
I can understand that!

What Barry? you didn't dazzle em with distracting  light through the Mag? I'm disappointed .... :whistle:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1292 on: August 30, 2019, 07:32:27 PM
Great challenge, everyone.  It has been fun and the Explorer is a great knife, but the Yeoman will still continue to be my favorite.

Thanks, Hevy.  The etching is actual the Surface Warfare Officer insignia.  The U.S. Navy’s “jack of all trades” officer for surface ships.  There are several on the Arleigh Burkes.

Nix - plus scales are nice, although I they probably won’t regularly appear on my knives until they start adding them to the scales with special designs.  Even as useful as they are and as nice as the translucent looks, I’m addicted to pretty picture scales.  Here’s a few of my favorites.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 08:02:10 PM by Sos24 »

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #1293 on: August 30, 2019, 07:37:30 PM
Thanks, guys.  :cheers:

Some final thoughts for this challenge:

First, I love a Swiss Army knife.  :SAKnight: 

The Explorer has a well deserved spot in the pantheon of SAK's, and for good reason me thinks. While some models come and go, the Explorer keeps on going. I can see why. For me, the Explorer might be my ideal urban SAK.

I thought I might miss the saw blade, but the one time I might have needed a saw....I just left that little job undone....  :rofl:  So....in a sense the Explorer saved me a little work there.  :rofl:

In general, my preference is for a 4-layer or thinner SAK. I have come to enjoy the mighty Swiss Champ, but for EDC I think 4-layers is more than ample and easy to carry. Fairly soon, I'll be going on a short road trip, the Ruby Explorer will be going along. I've come to rely on enjoy the magnifying glass and just feel better knowing it's in my pocket (i've been known to forget my reading glasses...... :facepalm:).

The rest of the toolset is perfect for me: opening layer, knife blades, awl, hook, and corkscrew are some of my favorites. Now, with a pen and pin in addition to the T&T, this little SAK feels like a very handy little tool box.

I might prefer to see a nail tool in place of the pen blade, but I do enjoy using the pen blade. So that's a trade for me. Besides, Mrs Nix usually has a nail file handy somewhere......

I don't see the Explorer becoming my SAKMC knife--that position is still well held by my Compacter by Syph--but the Explorer probably should be my SAKMC knife. It's just that good for EDC.  :tu:

This is so true. I came aboard late but have thoroughly enjoyed taking part because I've never really given the mag much thought and the Phillips - well that's a known win isn't it. But the mag has been fun and the Explorer really is a versatile urban EDC I should carry more. It is a bit thick for my liking but not so much as to annoy.

So today has been quiet and I've been at the desk all day so here's a snap of Swiss red with Brigade red.
IMG_1283.jpg
* IMG_1283.jpg (Filesize: 87.44 KB)
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1294 on: August 30, 2019, 07:49:48 PM
It is a bit thick for my liking but not so much as to annoy.

My thinking as well.  :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1295 on: August 30, 2019, 07:55:54 PM
Day 30 (Last Day) :woohoo:

Explorer helps open up the small Svord for a quick mod, a common problem for this particular model is the belly of the blade always clip/touch the end pivot due to its poor design and fit/finish.  A more detailed writeup will soon be featured in the Edged subforum. :D

Thats a bummer.  :facepalm:
Great Explorer photo!  :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1296 on: August 30, 2019, 08:02:13 PM
Great challenge, everyone.  It has been fun and the Explorer is a great knife, but the Yeoman will still continue to be my favorite.

Thanks, Hevy.  The etching is actual the Surface Warfare Officer insignia.  The U.S. Navy’s “jack of all trades” officer for surface ships.  There are several on the Arleigh Burkes.

Nix - plus scales are nice, although I they probably won’t regularly appear on my knives until they start adding them to the scales with special designs.  Even as useful as they are and as nice as the translucent looks, I’m addicted to pretty picture scales.

I'm sorry the Yeoman is discontinued. I've never tried one out. I suspect I'd like it. I've become more accustomed to 4-layer SAKs, so the Explorer has some small benefits, but I always like carrying a 2- or 3-layer SAK.

In re plus scales...... you could replace the back scale with a plus scale and keep your Gadsden scale up front..... :pok:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1297 on: August 30, 2019, 08:04:14 PM
 :oops:

My bad. I didn't realize the Gadsden scale was the back scale. I've got a Gadsden-scaled Tinker--great little SAK--so you might think I'd know better..... :facepalm:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #1298 on: August 30, 2019, 08:08:40 PM
I'm sorry the Yeoman is discontinued. I've never tried one out. I suspect I'd like it. I've become more accustomed to 4-layer SAKs, so the Explorer has some small benefits, but I always like carrying a 2- or 3-layer SAK.

In re plus scales...... you could replace the back scale with a plus scale and keep your Gadsden scale up front..... :pok:

I’ve never thought about that but true.  This could lead down a new rabbit hole for me.  [My Smokey could have a black plus back and my Adapted Sports a blue plus back.  Those are my most commonly used, so I could stop there.]

My Gadsden is on the front and now it has a black plus scale with belt clip on the back.  Why didn’t I think of this?  Now with the challenge being over and a new one about to beginning, I want to give the Explorer more pocket time to try out the new configuration.  Oh and the mini screwdriver got to screw on the belt clip for some added use.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 08:33:46 PM by Sos24 »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1299 on: August 30, 2019, 09:30:24 PM
 :ahhh

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1300 on: August 30, 2019, 09:32:50 PM
Beautiful scales Jack, and I couldn't put it better!  The only thing I will add is that the inline Philips is terrific!

Bonus pic: I used the wire stripper to pull a small nail out of the wall this morning.
Thanks, guys.  :cheers:

Some final thoughts for this challenge:

First, I love a Swiss Army knife.  :SAKnight: 

The Explorer has a well deserved spot in the pantheon of SAK's, and for good reason me thinks. While some models come and go, the Explorer keeps on going. I can see why. For me, the Explorer might be my ideal urban SAK.

I thought I might miss the saw blade, but the one time I might have needed a saw....I just left that little job undone....  :rofl:  So....in a sense the Explorer saved me a little work there.  :rofl:

In general, my preference is for a 4-layer or thinner SAK. I have come to enjoy the mighty Swiss Champ, but for EDC I think 4-layers is more than ample and easy to carry. Fairly soon, I'll be going on a short road trip, the Ruby Explorer will be going along. I've come to rely on enjoy the magnifying glass and just feel better knowing it's in my pocket (i've been known to forget my reading glasses...... :facepalm:).

The rest of the toolset is perfect for me: opening layer, knife blades, awl, hook, and corkscrew are some of my favorites. Now, with a pen and pin in addition to the T&T, this little SAK feels like a very handy little tool box.

I might prefer to see a nail tool in place of the pen blade, but I do enjoy using the pen blade. So that's a trade for me. Besides, Mrs Nix usually has a nail file handy somewhere......

I don't see the Explorer becoming my SAKMC knife--that position is still well held by my Compacter by Syph--but the Explorer probably should be my SAKMC knife. It's just that good for EDC.  :tu:
IMG_20190830_113537.jpg
* IMG_20190830_113537.jpg (Filesize: 103.46 KB)
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1301 on: August 30, 2019, 09:54:06 PM
Excellent use, Barry.  :tu:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #1302 on: August 30, 2019, 10:14:43 PM
Good use Barry.

za Offline Humayd A R Mahomedy

Reply #1303 on: August 30, 2019, 10:28:19 PM
Day 30
20190830_110025 by Humayd a r Mahomedy, on Flickr
20190830_110029(0) by Humayd a r Mahomedy, on Flickr

snipped the inner strands of paracord.
is today the last day?

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #1304 on: August 30, 2019, 10:37:56 PM
Day 30

Something I regularly do with my SAK's, and with the Explorer in the past few weeks, but forgot to show until now: poking a secondary air hole in the milk carton to ensure continuous flow when pouring.
explorer_30.jpg
* explorer_30.jpg (Filesize: 24.73 KB)

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #1305 on: August 30, 2019, 10:43:08 PM
Great pics and uses everyone  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Sos24

Reply #1306 on: August 30, 2019, 11:24:02 PM
Great uses Humayd and Exeter.

Today is the last day of this challenge (30 days, 1-30Aug) but there are others starting on September 1st, if you are wanting to join another.
Fixed Blade
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,81639.0.html
Modified SAK
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,82525.msg2001723.html#msg2001723
Mini Case Knife
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,82605.msg2001773.html#msg2001773

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #1307 on: August 30, 2019, 11:46:52 PM
Day 30:

Snuck my phone into the shop to show the door edge films I’m installing. Grabbed a couple pics but then a supervisor came up so had to stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline cody6268

Reply #1308 on: August 31, 2019, 04:36:54 AM
Day 23. Again, basically light cutting.

I thoroughly enjoyed this challenge. Pretty much, beforehand, this Explorer languished in the Plano box and wasn't carried a lot. However, I've found O really like the knife. Definitely going to carry it more regularly. For around the house and town--it's got just what's needed.

Now to decide--Mini Case or fixed blade.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1309 on: August 31, 2019, 05:28:51 AM

Nix - plus scales are nice, although I they probably won’t regularly appear on my knives until they start adding them to the scales with special designs.  Even as useful as they are and as nice as the translucent looks, I’m addicted to pretty picture scales.  Here’s a few of my favorites.

These scales are really unique and cool looking.  I too love the National Park ones, and collect them whenever I could.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1310 on: August 31, 2019, 05:30:23 AM
Beautiful scales Jack, and I couldn't put it better!  The only thing I will add is that the inline Philips is terrific!

Bonus pic: I used the wire stripper to pull a small nail out of the wall this morning.

Barry, that is one great use!  I rarely have to do work like that, but I probably wouldn't be creative enough to think of that.  :tu:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1311 on: August 31, 2019, 05:32:02 AM

Today is the last day of this challenge (30 days, 1-30Aug) but there are others starting on September 1st, if you are wanting to join another.
Fixed Blade
Modified SAK
Mini Case Knife

Thanks for the reminder, and good luck with the Modified SAK 30! :cheers:  I will be joining Nix in Fixie 30, but definitely will try to pop in to support the Mod SAK group.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1312 on: August 31, 2019, 05:32:41 AM
Day 30:

Snuck my phone into the shop to show the door edge films I’m installing. Grabbed a couple pics but then a supervisor came up so had to stop.

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zroxa, great job on the film!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1313 on: August 31, 2019, 05:49:46 AM
Thanks Comis!  I've actually used it to strip insulation, which it does well.  I stumbled on this prepping a wall to paint awhile back.  I just had to move a picture today.

Great challenge everyone! 
Barry

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1314 on: August 31, 2019, 06:15:42 AM
I’ve never thought about that but true.  This could lead down a new rabbit hole for me.  [My Smokey could have a black plus back and my Adapted Sports a blue plus back.  Those are my most commonly used, so I could stop there.]

My Gadsden is on the front and now it has a black plus scale with belt clip on the back.  Why didn’t I think of this?  Now with the challenge being over and a new one about to beginning, I want to give the Explorer more pocket time to try out the new configuration.  Oh and the mini screwdriver got to screw on the belt clip for some added use.
Nice!  :like:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1315 on: August 31, 2019, 06:16:56 AM
Great posts and photos.
And congratulations one and all.  :cheers:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1316 on: August 31, 2019, 06:41:33 AM
Day 31 (Post Challenge thoughts and bonus pix)

Posing the Stayglow Explorer next to my recent mod of Mountain Yeoman with GITD scale :D

Years ago, I had carried Explorer for a long while, before settling on Mountaineer as my EDC(my go-to for SAKMC), so the 4 layers SAK is nothing new to me.  Here are some of those thoughts:

Large blade: every SAK has them, I think it is a good size of blade for food prep and not too large that it is intimidating to strangers.

Small blade: Strangely, I actually always prefer small blade over the large blade, it is more versatile and nibble, especially for tighter cuts.  Again, this I could definitely use in public and will probably never raise any eyebrows whatsoever

Scissors: every SAK user knows how good they are, it goes without saying...

Mag glass: I really don't have much use for it, except for fun factor or splinter.  It is a strange tool to me, either I don't need it or I really do need it.  The way I justify it is better to be safe than sorry.

Inline Phillips: When settling on Mountaineer as my SAKMC knife, I think this is the trade-off I have to make.  If you do want to apply force, I would think this inline phillips is the way to go.  On my daily encounter, I do can make-do with the can opener if push come to shove with a Mountaineer, but in return I get a metal file/saw which can both work on wood and metal.  I guess that was the reason motivate me to do my "Mountian Tinker" and "Mountain Yeoman" mod.

Openers layer: I don't drink much soda/beer with the bottle, so I use the flat head way more than the bottle opener.  The can opener I do use from time to time, definitely love that tool.

Summary: I always believe the thesis behind SAK is fulfilling 80% of your quick fix needs, it will never replace tradesman or real tools.  In that sense, if the pliers is not needed on a regular basis, I would say Explorer is probably one of the best urban EDC that is easy to carry.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1317 on: August 31, 2019, 06:45:00 AM
Day 31 (Post Challenge thoughts and bonus pix)

Posing the Stayglow Explorer next to my recent mod of Mountain Yeoman with GITD scale :D

Years ago, I had carried Explorer for a long while, before settling on Mountaineer as my EDC(my go-to for SAKMC), so the 4 layers SAK is nothing new to me.  Here are some of those thoughts:

Large blade: every SAK has them, I think it is a good size of blade for food prep and not too large that it is intimidating to strangers.

Small blade: Strangely, I actually always prefer small blade over the large blade, it is more versatile and nibble, especially for tighter cuts.  Again, this I could definitely use in public and will probably never raise any eyebrows whatsoever

Scissors: every SAK user knows how good they are, it goes without saying...

Mag glass: I really don't have much use for it, except for fun factor or splinter.  It is a strange tool to me, either I don't need it or I really do need it.  The way I justify it is better to be safe than sorry.

Inline Phillips: When settling on Mountaineer as my SAKMC knife, I think this is the trade-off I have to make.  If you do want to apply force, I would think this inline phillips is the way to go.  On my daily encounter, I do can make-do with the can opener if push come to shove with a Mountaineer, but in return I get a metal file/saw which can both work on wood and metal.  I guess that was the reason motivate me to do my "Mountian Tinker" and "Mountain Yeoman" mod.

Openers layer: I don't drink much soda/beer with the bottle, so I use the flat head way more than the bottle opener.  The can opener I do use from time to time, definitely love that tool.

Summary: I always believe the thesis behind SAK is fulfilling 80% of your quick fix needs, it will never replace tradesman or real tools.  In that sense, if the pliers is not needed on a regular basis, I would say Explorer is probably one of the best urban EDC that is easy to carry.
Great GITD  :cheers:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1318 on: August 31, 2019, 06:58:07 AM
Great GITD  :cheers:

Thanks! :cheers:   I actually quite like the original Stayglow, especially during the day time, the fluorescent yellow is very smart looking and easy to catch eyes should I misplace the too. 

Still working on the GITD scale writeup for mod squad, been waiting the second set of GITD scales to finish so I would wrap it up. :facepalm:

za Offline Humayd A R Mahomedy

Reply #1319 on: August 31, 2019, 07:03:36 AM
thanks Sos24.
and thanks to all the other guys who "played",i apologise for not responding much,it's a busy time for me at work,and my boss is an smurfhole.
i can carry what i want,theres no dress code,i can smoke while working.

this was quite interesting.
i did sign up for the fixed blade challenge but will probably have to pull-out.

20190831_065309 by Humayd a r Mahomedy, on Flickr
last pic from me,comparison between the Explorer and an older Champ [my 1st,i acquired a few weeks ago].
i would have preferred a longer Phillips like on the Champ.
my son has a current production Champ,but i forgot to compare it with that.

Fixed Blade
Modified SAK
Mini Case Knife

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30