Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

About Those SwissChamps

nl Offline EMZ

Re: About Those SwissChamps
Reply #60 on: June 23, 2019, 10:24:44 AM
"Is everything crafted in Switzerland always perfect?"

Just came back from a visit to the Schweiz, and yes, it seems that everything they make is built to last forever! It's their way of economic survival, I guess.
My wife and I had a wonderful time over there (although it was very expensive). We only met very friendly people!

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #61 on: June 23, 2019, 03:20:45 PM
Things are finally coming together. One SOS pouch arrived today from the Ukraine. Hopefully, I’ll manage to get a hold of a second one before vacation starts.

Just in case the SOS pouches don’t work out, I ordered some wool pouches from Switzerland, made from retired Swiss Army blankets. I can use them to hold the survival items, and store the pouches in fanny packs. The pouches are of extraordinary quality. Is everything crafted in Switzerland always perfect?

Very cool wool pouches Buzzbait! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #62 on: July 09, 2019, 08:01:26 PM
Just to add to the madness, I've added some more Swiss Army goodness to this summer's vacation, with a bit of pocket watch fun. I'm going to try to bench my favorite Seiko Alpinist for the vacation, and try carrying a pocket watch. The Victorinox just arrived yesterday. The Wenger I've had for a number of years, and I'm throwing a favorite old Timex in as well.

The Victorinox gives me lots of interesting carry options, with all of the accessories included. The quality of the watch itself looks pretty good, and it's quite handsome. The leather and the stitching might not be too great, but time will tell. Overall, I really like the style.

I've had the Wenger for a long time, but never grew too fond of it. The included leather lanyard broke on day one, and the leather Case never really fit quite right. The pocket clip was also a lost watch waiting to happen. Great idea, but bad execution. We'll see how it compares, but I'm not expecting too much.

The Timex has been used a ton over the years. Every now and then, I have to repair some stitching. But I just can't seem to kill this watch. The pig skin case is absolute genius. Hang it from your belt with the watch face oriented to the inside, and you can just unsnap the case and view the watch. Turn the watch around inside the leather case, so it faces outward, and you can carry it like a normal pocket watch. Press on the stem, and the backlight lights up. The downside is that the backlight activates so easily, that it often does so by accident, quickly draining two of the three batteries. Yes, it takes three batteries to power the darned thing. One for the movement and two for the Indiglo backlight. If it weren't for the insane battery issue, this would have been an EDC watch.

--
'Buzz

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #63 on: July 10, 2019, 12:04:05 AM
Just to add to the madness, I've added some more Swiss Army goodness to this summer's vacation, with a bit of pocket watch fun. I'm going to try to bench my favorite Seiko Alpinist for the vacation, and try carrying a pocket watch. The Victorinox just arrived yesterday. The Wenger I've had for a number of years, and I'm throwing a favorite old Timex in as well.

Cool pics Buzzbait! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #64 on: August 06, 2019, 07:39:50 PM
Two weeks of this summer's SwissChamp vacation are now complete, and it was a lot of fun. Our SwissChamps, pockesmurfches and survival kits were used quite a bit. We made sure to record as many tool uses as possible, and here is the breakdown.

• Large Blade - 9
  • Can Opener - 3
  • Bottle Opener - 6
  • Reamer/Punch - 1
  • Scissors - 3
  • Wood Saw -1
  • Ruler -1
  • File - 5
  • Pliers - 2
  • Magnifier - 2

So there it is. Every major layer on the SwissChamp was used at some point, and the fun is only half over. We head back out in ten days for the next two weeks of camping. The last leg will be a bit more leisurely, so I expect more time to be devoted to projects, which should theoretically show a spike in usage.

The wonderful SwissChamp - Mark I

Me opening a can of Beefaroni at base camp.

Of the pockesmurfches, the Victorinox was by far my favorite. Easy to take on and off, without having to undo my belt. It hung just low enough, when using the belt hanger, to slip just into my front pocket, to help protect it. And when I wasn't wearing a belt, I could just use the included leather pocket slip. Great watch.

And a few vacation pics

--
'Buzz

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #65 on: August 06, 2019, 07:42:24 PM
Great pics!!! This is exactly what it's all about!
Barry

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: August 06, 2019, 08:26:16 PM
Looks lika a lot of fun!

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #67 on: August 06, 2019, 08:47:30 PM
Fun thread Buzz, and great pics  :like:
Nice to see the tank got lots of usage. Love those green scales.  :cheers:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: August 06, 2019, 09:41:47 PM
Awesome pics Buzz!
And very nice see the swisschamp having so many uses!

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #69 on: August 07, 2019, 03:24:03 PM
What amazing memories I'm sure.  I don't need to tell you, you are truly a blessed man.  I cherish every moment I have with my kids. 

The pocket watches are cool.  I really like the leather cases.  Its nice to hear the Swisschamps got a good workout.  The pictures are amazing thank you so much for sharing with us  :hatsoff: 
Esse Quam Videri

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #70 on: August 07, 2019, 09:48:58 PM
What amazing memories I'm sure.  I don't need to tell you, you are truly a blessed man.  I cherish every moment I have with my kids. 

The pocket watches are cool.  I really like the leather cases.  Its nice to hear the Swisschamps got a good workout.  The pictures are amazing thank you so much for sharing with us  :hatsoff:

:iagree:

Great pics and lots of sweet memories there, thanks for sharing them here  :salute:.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #71 on: August 08, 2019, 12:56:28 AM
Two weeks of this summer's SwissChamp vacation are now complete, and it was a lot of fun.

Great pics and list of uses Buzzbait! :like: :tu: :tu:

You are making memories that will last a lifetime! :cheers:

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #72 on: September 03, 2019, 05:30:26 PM
My second week of Adirondack adventure has now concluded, and I'm pleased to say that the SwissChamp still reigned supreme. Actually it reigned alone. I was confident in its abilities to leave all other knives behind, and rely solely upon its merits. My daughter and I did a ton a bikepacking, canoeing and some very remote camping while were in the Adirondacks, and my SwissTank proved invaluable.

I was actually out in the field for so long this summer that I had to file down my toe nails with the file, which is no easy chore. But the file made quick work of the job. The fish scaler was never used for its intended purpose, but proved to be an excellent coffee stirrer for those rare times when I was close enough to civilization to find some cream.

My daughter's favorite Swisschamp implement turned out to be the wood saw, which she used to saw dead wood she had collected, for the creation of her tiny tipi.

During a brief time that were in civilization, we went to the Adirondack Museum, which featured an old Adirondack railway train. Some miscreant had decided to remove one of the old wooden knobs from the train's control center and left it on the ground nearby. I took it upon myself to return the knob to it's original location in the train, and used the cap lifter's flathead screwdriver during the assembly.

At this point in time, the SwissTank is firmly entrenched in my own sense of self. It has been with me continually from dawn until dusk, constantly put to task. I've become thoroughly accustomed to its reassuring weight in my front pocket. It's what I always use for pretty much everything I do, a constant companion. The SwissTank has been the primary implement I use to interact with the world around me. I hate to use the word "tool" because it is so much more than that. It doesn't just build and fix things. It helps me to explore and further understand the natural world. It aids me in my own self keeping, and even helps feed me. It grooms me and helps me to build things. It is truly an aid to life.

--
'Buzz

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #73 on: September 03, 2019, 06:34:49 PM
Two weeks of this summer's SwissChamp vacation are now complete, and it was a lot of fun. Our SwissChamps, pockesmurfches and survival kits were used quite a bit. We made sure to record as many tool uses as possible, and here is the breakdown.

• Large Blade - 9
  • Can Opener - 3
  • Bottle Opener - 6
  • Reamer/Punch - 1
  • Scissors - 3
  • Wood Saw -1
  • Ruler -1
  • File - 5
  • Pliers - 2
  • Magnifier - 2

So there it is. Every major layer on the SwissChamp was used at some point, and the fun is only half over. We head back out in ten days for the next two weeks of camping. The last leg will be a bit more leisurely, so I expect more time to be devoted to projects, which should theoretically show a spike in usage.

The wonderful SwissChamp - Mark I

(Image removed from quote.)

Me opening a can of Beefaroni at base camp.

Of the pockesmurfches, the Victorinox was by far my favorite. Easy to take on and off, without having to undo my belt. It hung just low enough, when using the belt hanger, to slip just into my front pocket, to help protect it. And when I wasn't wearing a belt, I could just use the included leather pocket slip. Great watch.

And a few vacation pics

:rofl:
Great photos and great post! Glad you both had fun!  :tu: :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #74 on: September 03, 2019, 06:38:45 PM
My second week of Adirondack adventure has now concluded, and I'm pleased to say that the SwissChamp still reigned supreme. Actually it reigned alone. I was confident in its abilities to leave all other knives behind, and rely solely upon its merits. My daughter and I did a ton a bikepacking, canoeing and some very remote camping while were in the Adirondacks, and my SwissTank proved invaluable.

I was actually out in the field for so long this summer that I had to file down my toe nails with the file, which is no easy chore. But the file made quick work of the job. The fish scaler was never used for its intended purpose, but proved to be an excellent coffee stirrer for those rare times when I was close enough to civilization to find some cream.

My daughter's favorite Swisschamp implement turned out to be the wood saw, which she used to saw dead wood she had collected, for the creation of her tiny tipi.

During a brief time that were in civilization, we went to the Adirondack Museum, which featured an old Adirondack railway train. Some miscreant had decided to remove one of the old wooden knobs from the train's control center and left it on the ground nearby. I took it upon myself to return the knob to it's original location in the train, and used the cap lifter's flathead screwdriver during the assembly.

At this point in time, the SwissTank is firmly entrenched in my own sense of self. It has been with me continually from dawn until dusk, constantly put to task. I've become thoroughly accustomed to its reassuring weight in my front pocket. It's what I always use for pretty much everything I do, a constant companion. The SwissTank has been the primary implement I use to interact with the world around me. I hate to use the word "tool" because it is so much more than that. It doesn't just build and fix things. It helps me to explore and further understand the natural world. It aids me in my own self keeping, and even helps feed me. It grooms me and helps me to build things. It is truly an aid to life.

Excellent - thanks for sharing your adventures with us.  :tu: :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #75 on: September 03, 2019, 06:40:23 PM
My second week of Adirondack adventure has now concluded, and I'm pleased to say that the SwissChamp still reigned supreme.

Great write-up and finish to your Adirondack adventure Buzzbait! :like: :tu: :tu:

Nice pics! :cheers:

The memories you have created will last forever! :D

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #76 on: September 03, 2019, 07:18:56 PM
Great job Dad!!
Barry

gb Offline fullbreakfast

Reply #77 on: September 03, 2019, 07:32:04 PM
No. The G-10 scales were ordered from a third party. I just modified the green ones a bit.
Thanks for this wonderful and rather heartwarming thread Buzzbait. I have greatly enjoyed reading it.

If I may ask a question, what grades of sandpaper did you use to finish the G10 scales on the SwissTank? They look perfect.

I haven’t worked with G10 but I imagine the dust from sanding it would be good to avoid inhaling, getting in eyes, etc.

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #78 on: September 03, 2019, 07:59:22 PM
Thanks for this wonderful and rather heartwarming thread Buzzbait. I have greatly enjoyed reading it.

If I may ask a question, what grades of sandpaper did you use to finish the G10 scales on the SwissTank? They look perfect.

I haven’t worked with G10 but I imagine the dust from sanding it would be good to avoid inhaling, getting in eyes, etc.

I used a number of pieces of adhesive backed SIC wet/dry paper, mounted to old computer mouse pads. I believe I started around 600 grit, and went as far as 2000 grit to put some shine on them.

G10 dust is definitely something you don't want to inhale. I sat outside, next to a folding table to do the work, and wore a breathing mask. But it wasn't too bad. The work was done very quickly.
--
'Buzz

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: September 03, 2019, 08:34:51 PM
Thanks for sharing! Sound like another great week out adventuring and not forgetting the bind between you and your doughter

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

gb Offline fullbreakfast

Reply #80 on: September 03, 2019, 10:16:51 PM
I used a number of pieces of adhesive backed SIC wet/dry paper, mounted to old computer mouse pads. I believe I started around 600 grit, and went as far as 2000 grit to put some shine on them.

G10 dust is definitely something you don't want to inhale. I sat outside, next to a folding table to do the work, and wore a breathing mask. But it wasn't too bad. The work was done very quickly.
Thank you for the tips. I hope to make use of them before too long; will post the results to the forum if they are not catastrophic. Or perhaps even if they are.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #81 on: September 04, 2019, 11:47:32 AM

Great write-up and finish to your Adirondack adventure Buzzbait! :like: :tu: :tu:

Nice pics! :cheers:

The memories you have created will last forever! :D

:iagree:  :like:

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #82 on: September 04, 2019, 02:35:13 PM
Thanks everybody. It was a wonderful experience, that I hope to partake in next year as well. So many great sights and memories.

--
'Buzz

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #83 on: September 04, 2019, 03:16:52 PM
Thanks everybody. It was a wonderful experience, that I hope to partake in next year as well. So many great sights and memories.

Again some great photo’s - and that tree stump - big enough to serve as a table top!  :like: :cheers:

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #84 on: September 04, 2019, 03:37:43 PM
Again some great photo’s - and that tree stump - big enough to serve as a table top!  :like: :cheers:

Yeah. It was a huge stump. I had to use the spirit level from my Victorinox compass to find a flat spot on the stump for the cooking stove, so the pot didn't slide off while cooking.

The homemade SOS kit actually came in handy quite a few times. Tons of Bandaids and antibiotic ointment were dispensed, and the tiny BIC lighter was used continually to start the stove. But also the tiny Vic sharpening steel I put inside, which actually worked beautifully to keep the main blade cutting well. Even the sewing kit was used to sew a button back onto my cargo shorts. Lots and lots and lots of uses.
--
'Buzz

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #85 on: September 04, 2019, 03:56:30 PM
If pictures are worth a thousand words yours with your daughter have to be worth millions.  Thank you for sharing. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #86 on: September 04, 2019, 04:01:38 PM

Great pics Buzzbait! :like: :tu: :tu:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #87 on: September 04, 2019, 06:54:40 PM
 :iagree:  Nice stories and pics  :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00