Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

4-in-1 Screwdriver

us Offline BadMechanic

4-in-1 Screwdriver
on: August 03, 2020, 06:32:22 AM
Im looking to get a personal 4-in-1 (or more?) Screwdriver. I use them quite a bit at work and have needed a Phillips and flathead all in one stroke. They are older and well used, so Im not sure about current production.

any recommendations on current production screwdrivers with multiple tips? Someone on here already has me buying the Stanley pocket screwdriver but would like a fullsize as well. 2 is 1, 1 is none  :rofl:

Thanks in advance.

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: 4-in-1 Screwdriver
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 01:33:56 PM
You talking about something like this?  I have several of these - in the vehicle, the junk drawer, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009V431/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 04:32:33 PM
4 in 1 screwdrivers are great.  Look around, I'm sure you'll find some.  I'm not attached to any particular brand.
4in1 - 1.jpg
* 4in1 - 1.jpg (Filesize: 141.44 KB)
- Steve

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 05:10:42 PM
Yup those things. Very handy.  :drool:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 06:07:23 PM
4 in 1, 6 in 1, 12 in 1, some ratcheting, heck I got a I think a 6 that’s lighted, aluminum body with rubber grip,, I love them..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 08:04:41 PM
Here’s a pic of the ones I could find, there’s others missing cause I have a matching one that has the open bottom like that mini, which both do the ratcheting or lock, as you can see I like the kobalt but that Klein is a real good tool, isn’t a 4 but a 10 in 1!
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 08:49:13 PM
Oh wow. Nice lookin tools JR   :tu:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 10:20:02 PM
Oh wow. Nice lookin tools JR   :tu:
Thanks, I had one with a pouch, now that had like a bunch of cases with 1/4” bits
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 10:50:49 PM
I was curious about the matching one, so I looked in the tool bucket and found it, as you can see it comes with twice as many bits plus the bits sit on an extension, again a ratcheting, or locked. And since I was curious I put batteries in the lighted one an it works, only 4 bits but when your working in a dark area it does the job,,
JR

I’ll say a screwdriver is a good tool to have, some tools you can skim on and get away with cheap stuff, but even for a at home handyman you need something good, I wouldn’t get a ratcheting one cause that’s things that can break, it all depends on what line of work your going to be using it in plus what your more comfortable with, diff style grips, hard or rubber, a lot out there!
JR
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 11:08:58 PM by MadPlumbarian »

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 11:12:36 PM
After you mentioned ratcheting, I checked some out. They were not highly impressed with them. Ill let the ratcheting for my wrenches. Ive done fine with a good ol screwdriver fixed handle.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 11:32:56 PM
After you mentioned ratcheting, I checked some out. They were not highly impressed with them. Ill let the ratcheting for my wrenches. Ive done fine with a good ol screwdriver fixed handle.
Yeah, it can actually get annoying on the wrist, best thing is to go to the hardware store and just look, see what feels good and isn’t cheesy
JR

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 04, 2020, 06:10:43 AM
Not to be a stickler (I am) but I consider the 1/4" bit drivers a different animal from the 4-in-1 drivers.
The bit drivers have the advantage of having dozens of different drivers, and ratchets, and lights...
The 4-in-1 have larger bits (two of them) that are easier to swap around without dropping, and easier to find when you do.
- Steve

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 05:19:12 PM
Not to be a stickler (I am) but I consider the 1/4" bit drivers a different animal from the 4-in-1 drivers.
The bit drivers have the advantage of having dozens of different drivers, and ratchets, and lights...
The 4-in-1 have larger bits (two of them) that are easier to swap around without dropping, and easier to find when you do.
Oh totally, the only advantage they have is that since there so conmen and you have a special bit you like you can switch things out,, unlike the double sided ones your stuck with they give you, but like Smiller said the bits are larger and easier to handle, and switch out when it comes time to do so, it really depends on what your going to be doing with it and what bits you need, that Klein has been great, bits are a little smaller but it’s got 10 diff setups, they even have new one that came out that has 15, all double ended bits, three diff models but a little pricey, then again not a cheap build, only thing is you got to unscrew the back end, unlike the one I have which makes it easy,,
JR

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 04, 2020, 09:44:51 PM
Here’s a pic of the ones I could find, there’s others missing cause I have a matching one that has the open bottom like that mini, which both do the ratcheting or lock, as you can see I like the kobalt but that Klein is a real good tool, isn’t a 4 but a 10 in 1!
JR

I'll put in a plug for the Klein.  They make good tools.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 04, 2020, 09:47:10 PM
Don't get me wrong, I like bit drivers too.  Just pointing out that IMHO they are different animals.

As to the "stuck with the bits they came with", that's not 100% true.  99% sure, but not 100%.
Back when there was still a Sears, they did sell those 4-in-1 bits separately.  These are Torx!
Now when did I acquire THREE Craftsman 4-in-1 drivers?
Bit Drivers - 2.jpeg
* Bit Drivers - 2.jpeg (Filesize: 175.45 KB)
Bit Drivers - 1.jpeg
* Bit Drivers - 1.jpeg (Filesize: 111.76 KB)
- Steve

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #15 on: August 06, 2020, 06:36:33 PM
Im looking to get a personal 4-in-1 (or more?) Screwdriver. I use them quite a bit at work and have needed a Phillips and flathead all in one stroke. They are older and well used, so Im not sure about current production.

any recommendations on current production screwdrivers with multiple tips? Someone on here already has me buying the Stanley pocket screwdriver but would like a fullsize as well. 2 is 1, 1 is none  :rofl:

Thanks in advance.

Any particular sizes you need? I have a pen with PH0, PH1, Slt3 and Slt4.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Sidney Porter

Reply #16 on: September 06, 2020, 01:17:35 AM
I have a enderes that I really like. It is probably 15-20years old.

I have a bunch of the blue harbor freight ones that used to be free with coupon (now.99) they are ok for back up, office drawer etc

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
Reply #17 on: September 08, 2020, 01:47:22 AM
I also have an Enderes 4-Way driver, like Sidney.  Two other brands to consider are the ubiquitous Klein, or Proto 8-Way.

"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 10, 2020, 03:26:09 AM
My dad had an old Japanese made that he swore by! Whenever I tagged along to help him, I could take the 4-in-1 and do pretty much everything he would through at me (considering my very low skill level) without constantly needing to get one of his drivers. I see a lot of good, USA made options, sadly only Chinese stuff end up getting here where I live.
I also have an Enderes 4-Way driver, like Sidney.  Two other brands to consider are the ubiquitous Klein, or Proto 8-Way.

(Image removed from quote.)

I've seen a few of their tools on ebay (Enderes that is) how do you like them?

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
Reply #19 on: September 23, 2020, 07:36:26 AM
I used my Enderes 4-Way for five years as a telecom tech.  No appreciable wear whatsoever.  Its a "dark horse" brand that many people don't know about.
Replacement bits are standard; so any brand of bits, will work in these drivers.  The handle also serves as a suitable nut-driver.  Just as good as Klein, or Proto.
"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: October 03, 2020, 03:53:56 AM
I used my Enderes 4-Way for five years as a telecom tech.  No appreciable wear whatsoever.  Its a "dark horse" brand that many people don't know about.
Replacement bits are standard; so any brand of bits, will work in these drivers.  The handle also serves as a suitable nut-driver.  Just as good as Klein, or Proto.

Thanks for the info man, they look like good tools and are reasonably priced. As soon as I can I'll grab some!

Offline engineer_in_nj

Reply #21 on: January 20, 2021, 12:48:07 AM
Klien makes one. The driver itself is good but the bits break. Granted I use it a lot but it is what it is.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD