Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vaping to quit smoking

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Vaping to quit smoking
on: June 09, 2019, 01:59:51 AM
Well I'm actually surprised to be able to say this but it's true: I haven't had a cigarette in 9 weeks. I've been a pretty heavy smoker of hand-rolled unfiltered cigarettes for about 20 years and while I dabbled a bit with vaping and used it to cut down a good bit, I've finally made a clean break. I've survived some incredibly stressful days of work as well as gone out drinking with people who smoke, both triggers that normally would have had me puffing away, and while I felt the urge, it wasn't enough to overcome my will. What really seemed to make it possible was finding a juice that I really enjoyed vaping, that and using a high nicotine concentration nicotine salt. While vaping will never replace that needle in the vein delivery that smoking provides, a 50mg/ml nicotine concentration gets pretty close. Lately I've been buying lower nicotine concentrations to try to ween myself off of nicotine altogether. Since I quit, my lungs have been repairing themselves and I've been coughing up lots of phlegm, not fun but hopefully a temporary condition. 

If you've been thinking about it, give it a shot. Go bold on the nicotine concentration and work back from there. If I can do it, seriously anyone can.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Vaping to quit smoking
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 02:06:20 PM
Well Done !   :hatsoff:  :hatsoff:  :hatsoff:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 02:13:35 PM
Well done and good luck with not starting again  :cheers: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 07:03:51 PM
Good job!  :cheers:

I quit smoking after 20 years in 2014, I used tobacco flavored juices for about a year, usually at 18mg range.

Now the taste of the e-juices... eventually you will not taste them at all, which is why these days I just vape clean base (70/30 vg/pg) with around 6mg of nicotine. In all honesty, I would probably not need any nicotine anymore.

In any case if you need any advice, feel free to ask!  :tu:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 08:07:22 PM
Thanks for the tips Aleph :cheers:

I can buy 1 gallon of unflavored 6mg nicotine base (70/30 vg/pg) for $74, holy cow :ahhh

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 06:13:27 AM
Well done. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 04:28:44 PM
Congratulations! I pray you’ll be able to remain without this nasty and deadly habit. I also pray that one day soon you won’t need these adjuncts either. It seems to me taking anything other than air into your lungs is detrimental.
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 05:17:34 PM
Congratulations! I pray you’ll be able to remain without this nasty and deadly habit. I also pray that one day soon you won’t need these adjuncts either. It seems to me taking anything other than air into your lungs is detrimental.

Well there are those asthma inhaler thingies...  :D

Ps: Not that it is at all relevant to this thread but according to this there is a whole lot of things one might want to inhale:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_medical_inhalants

And once again a am the only one that finds this king of stuff interesting right?

I'll see myself out...  :D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 05:24:01 PM by lister »
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 07:32:35 PM
Well there are those asthma inhaler thingies...  :D

Ps: Not that it is at all relevant to this thread but according to this there is a whole lot of things one might want to inhale:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_medical_inhalants

And once again a am the only one that finds this king of stuff interesting right?

I'll see myself out...  :D

I hereby proclaim you the "King of Stuff", and yes, I find that KIND of stuff interesting too...  :D
"Hoarder of weirdness,

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 07:34:22 PM
Thanks for the tips Aleph :cheers:

I can buy 1 gallon of unflavored 6mg nicotine base (70/30 vg/pg) for $74, holy cow :ahhh

You'll probably need 18mg or 24mg base at the moment, but should decrease the dosage gradually, took me 4 years to get down to 6mg, which was probably just my laziness...

It's easier to control if you make your own e-liquids like me, but it's extra dedication not everyone wants to take on :cheers:
"Hoarder of weirdness,

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 07:44:04 PM
Oh and send a pic of your vaping rig, mine are shown here

"Hoarder of weirdness,

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 09:52:23 PM
Good for you on quitting- all of you that have done it!

That is a hell of a monkey to get off your back, and good for you for having done it!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 10:55:14 PM
Very well done mate. :hatsoff:  I went through pretty much exactly the same story about three and a half years ago and, while I've been tempted a few times, so far so good. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 05:37:48 PM
Oh and send a pic of your vaping rig, mine are shown here

I've been using what we call here Pod Mods which utilize refillable pods or cartridges. These do not produce the same volume of vapor as the sub-ohm devices and the pods usually only last between 5 and 10 days before the flavor degrades significantly. But what I really like is their size. If you are discreet and don't create giant clouds of smoke, in my experience, most bars and restaurants won't bother you if you grab a couple of stealthy puffs now and then. In fact there is one bar that I frequent down here in Tennessee where all the millenials openly vape away. I will probably start investigating the larger sub-ohm devices but for now these are working well, though with perhaps a slightly higher total cost of ownership when factoring in all of the pods I've been going through.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%