Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wild Man Giveaway!

Nix · 359 · 13304

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Wild Man Giveaway!
Reply #330 on: December 09, 2020, 06:11:25 PM
So, not only does it look awesome, it also performs awesome...

You lucky, lucky...

Great write up mate, looking forward to the next one  :tu:.

:cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #331 on: December 09, 2020, 06:49:47 PM
I'm really fond of BRK handles, too. (For the most part--I have had a couple that were less than ideal for me. Overall, I think BRK does a great job with their handles though.)

:popcorn:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #332 on: December 09, 2020, 07:53:05 PM
Heres a few pics.  Hopefully what I've described can be seen in the pictures.  I find reading specs vs handling a knife makes a difference.  When I read specs I get a basic idea but once the knife is in my hand the data is only data.  I initially thought the shorter yet thick blade ( 3.5mm +/- ) would be something I need to adjust to.  My go to out door knife is 5 inch blade length and very similar thickness.  Its also very different grind and design.  It performed differently not better or worse just different. 

I like to carry different knives when out.  My little Mora is a wonderful knife for all things whittling.  It handles well and is so comfortable.   I've really taken a liking to this knife.  I use my larger knives for all things, larger.  We get mixed fire wood.  We use pine for kindling and harder wood for the base.  I like to use my larger knife to make the kindling.  No real hard core batoning just a bit of splitting down.  I also like to shave some fat wood.  We make pot stands and other random things for fun.  I'm no expert bush crafter but using my knives when out is fun and something I enjoy. 

My Bushcrafter was finally out in its environment.  We got away for a few days so we could recharge and unwind.   Let me first say I am so sorry but when out we tend to put our phones away tho I do try to take some pics.  This time I failed to do so. 

We camped locally with temps at night in low 40s so a fire was nice.  I broke down some pine with little effort.  No real test what so ever.  I decided to try a harder wood.  We had seasoned oak.  The log as 3 inches in diameter.  I centered the blade on the log and gave it a whack.  A couple more whacks and I had 2 halves of a log.  Easy enough.  I split the log in quarters just because.  This was not really what I planned on using the knife for tho I know CPM3V is pretty tough stuff. 

As we sat around the fire I carved a notch into a 3ft long branch that was about inch or so thick to hold my pot over the hot coals.  The knife was pretty comfortable making the notch due to the spine not being crazy sharp.  I have some knives with 90 degree spines that are uncomfortable with my thumb on them.  This spine did throw sparks from a few ferro rods including the one Nix provided.  I'm glad this knifes spine isn't crazy sharp.  I don't think super sharp spines are needed. 

Just sitting around playing with the knife I wanted to use the tip to create a divot in oak.  Again, easy peasy.  What I was really looking to see was how comfortable would this knife be for all camp chores.  I also wanted to see how well CPM3V edge would last.  I did do some work on it so it left the house very sharp.  I'll cut to the chase ( see what I did there ).  The edge seemed to be exactly the same when I got home.  I took the edge to magazine paper and it curled it as I cut it.  The feel of it was the same as when we left.  I was pretty happy.  I decided to give it a strop then cut magazine paper again.  I couldn't tell a difference.  It very easily cut while curling the paper.  A wash in the sink with soap and water and it looks the same as when I received it.  Not sure what its gonna take to put some real wear on this knife?

It was very comfortable to use and my partner felt the same.  Changing hands using it was no difference in comfort.  With gloves, without gloves it was a joy to use.  The handles are smooth so I thought it would be slippery.  There was no issue at all.  I did notice the weight in hand.  On my hip it was a joy to carry.  Its no slim knife but I like that.  I have other knives that I bring that fill the role of carver, food prep, etc. 

I would bring this knife as my sole knife.  I would not hesitate to push this knife much harder that I did.  We bring a good hatchet when we need to bash on wood.  We also use wedges to split larger logs.  I have no reason to believe this knife could be used but its not how I use my knives.     

On food.  Flat grinds are always best for food.  Thin is better as well.  Is this a chefs knife?  No, but y'all know I love using all knives on food regardless of what the knife was designed for.  My Nimravus has been used for all manner of kitchen prep.  Not the best but I make it work.  I was happy with the performance of the Bushcrafter on food. 

It was a bit windy our so guy lines were tied to keep our tent stable ( I got to use some knots learned on the Nix knot thread ) so I also took the opportunity to cut cordage.  Easy.  I cut jute, paracord, nylon, and some random yellow plastic stuff.  No real "test".

It was comfortable to carry all day.  My addition to the sheath was nice when I had a few layers on.  It hung a a good lower length.  It sure looked awesome too.  Theres something to a good looking knife right?  It felt good having on my hip too.  The bit of weight is always nice for me.  My little KJ Mora is so light I forget its there then have to pat my side to make sure.  I didn't think about the steel at all.  Truth is when out I don't worry much about my blades.  I give them a wash and dry and replace in the sheath.  When I get home I take a closer look but otherwise I don't worry.   

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #333 on: December 09, 2020, 07:54:55 PM
 :oops:  Forgot to add some pics.  I didn't take any while out  :facepalm:.  I leave my phone in my vehicle.  The pics are some different angle of the knife. 
IMG_1756.jpg
* IMG_1756.jpg (Filesize: 221.18 KB)
IMG_1757.jpg
* IMG_1757.jpg (Filesize: 210.51 KB)
IMG_1758.jpg
* IMG_1758.jpg (Filesize: 248.86 KB)
IMG_1759.jpg
* IMG_1759.jpg (Filesize: 225.45 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #334 on: December 09, 2020, 07:56:42 PM
Few more.  I'll be getting back out and I will take some pic of it in its natural environment.  The last pic is my go to out door knife and the Bushcrafter.   
IMG_1760.jpg
* IMG_1760.jpg (Filesize: 226.12 KB)
IMG_1761.jpg
* IMG_1761.jpg (Filesize: 204.25 KB)
IMG_1764.jpg
* IMG_1764.jpg (Filesize: 218.37 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #335 on: December 09, 2020, 07:58:40 PM
I'm really fond of BRK handles, too. (For the most part--I have had a couple that were less than ideal for me. Overall, I think BRK does a great job with their handles though.)

:popcorn:

I have a couple Bark Rivers and so far I've been very happy.  This one is a good fit in my hand.  I am appreciative of its comfort in a few grips. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #336 on: December 09, 2020, 08:33:13 PM
 :like:

Great write-up, Aloha!   :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #337 on: December 09, 2020, 09:13:06 PM
Not only does this knife look amazing its handles amazingly well and that makes for a knife I want to carry and use.  I cannot say enough how appreciative I am to have this knife.  I feel incredibly fortunate and thankful to you Nix. 

I know over the years this will be a knife I carry with me on my outdoor adventures.  It will be a knife that my family will recognize more and more.  I can see why this was so well received by many.  My go to outdoor knife is a bit worried and as well it should be.  Its nice they are so different because otherwise it'd be right to be out right scared. 

We plan to get up to the mountains after Christmas once our mandatory stay at home orders are lifted.  We'll see.  I am enjoying carrying it at home using if for any and everything.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #338 on: December 09, 2020, 09:18:56 PM
 :cheers:  Great to see it ended up in good hands.   :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #339 on: December 10, 2020, 02:01:23 PM
Good  write up  !    :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #340 on: December 10, 2020, 03:20:24 PM
 :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #341 on: December 10, 2020, 06:11:02 PM
Such a beauty of a knife that couldn't have gone to a more deserving member! :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #342 on: December 11, 2020, 12:28:20 AM
 Thank you for the kind words  :hatsoff:.   
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #343 on: December 11, 2020, 04:38:13 PM
:cheers:  Great to see it ended up in good hands.   :tu:

Yup! I'm awlways glad when I don't win a GAW. Everything would just disappear from the face of the Earth, tucked inside a box kept in a drawer locked in a safe hidden in a bunker deep in a cave under a mountain.

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #344 on: December 11, 2020, 08:11:58 PM
One fine day, pfrsantos.....  ;)

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #345 on: May 08, 2021, 01:24:49 PM
What a lovely thread this is! :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #346 on: May 08, 2021, 03:01:38 PM
What a lovely thread this is! :like:

And a fun one, too!   :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #347 on: May 08, 2021, 03:20:54 PM
 :iagree: :iagree:

This was a very fun GAW.  I carry the knife quite a lot.  While a lot was closed last year many are opening again so I'll be able to do more.  I enjoy using my knives for everything so my precious gets to see a variety of task/chores.  Recycling is one thing many of us are doing a lot of with all the packages we get.  Our container fills fast so cutting everything down helps a lot.  I am not the best "in action" photographer but when I carry it it then becomes my kitchen knife  :rofl:.  All fixed blades must take on this role when I carry them.  I've got a few succulents that grow like crazy so a whack with the knife sets them straight. 

I remove the bark from apple tree cuttings so I can use them to smoke meats.  We get cut fire wood for our fireplace and outdoor pit.  I've used the knife to make some kindling.  Its seen a lot of tasks/chores I'm sure the fellas over at Bark River didn't think this knife would be used for.  Its fun thats for sure. 

Its certainly a knife I am very proud to own not to mention its from a terrific member.  It'l be passed on to my kids thats for sure.       
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #348 on: May 08, 2021, 03:37:37 PM
I am very happy to hear that! And also a little jealous! :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #349 on: May 08, 2021, 03:39:24 PM
 :-[

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #350 on: May 08, 2021, 04:56:24 PM
I am very happy to hear that!

:iagree:   :cheers:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #351 on: May 08, 2021, 08:26:32 PM
I am very happy to hear that! And also a little jealous! :cheers:
:agree:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #352 on: October 01, 2021, 05:01:16 PM
For one I wanted to bump this great thread.  There is some good reading on wild men and women. 

I also wanted to continue to echo what I said about the knife I won.  Its still incredible and still cherished by me.  As we know the pandemic really spoiled a lot but as we near my favorite time of the year to camp and really hit the trail I thought I'd post. 

I still carry the knife around my home.  Its been a great addition to my go to fixed blades.  While its purpose is buschcrafting I like to use it for any and everything while its on my hip.  I gave it a nice wipe down tho this thing doesn't show wear  :dunno:.  I am so excited to get camping and get out and use the heck out of this knife. 

The thread has some great reading so do go though and read up.   
IMG_3522.jpg
* IMG_3522.jpg (Filesize: 336.9 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #353 on: October 01, 2021, 05:38:11 PM
Nice bump Aloha!

This topic is memorable! (Another great idea from Nix)
I spent a good time reading and learning here.

And man... That knife is awesome!

Enviado de meu Moto Z2 Play usando o Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #354 on: October 01, 2021, 07:27:06 PM
Because of wildfire smoke and the fact that Adventure Boy is aging and needs more care and attention, I haven't been doing much camping, either. Just one overnighter! I hope to get out a bit more soon.

I did go for good hike, armed with a bow, the other day. Boy was that a tonic! Get outside!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #355 on: October 01, 2021, 07:31:07 PM
That's pretty marvellous.  :hatsoff:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #356 on: October 01, 2021, 08:06:33 PM
Nice to have a smoke-free day!   :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #357 on: October 01, 2021, 08:21:01 PM
Nice. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sos24

Reply #358 on: October 01, 2021, 08:23:09 PM
@Nix - I can understand how hard it must be to live in such a beautiful area and have smoke impede the enjoyment of it.  Glad you were able to get at least some time out and away.

@Hevy - agree.  This topic was so interesting and great for some occasional reread.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%