Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ranger Challenge!

Nix · 1523 · 27304

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Ranger Challenge!
Reply #1440 on: January 30, 2020, 02:16:25 PM
Day 30 - No better way to enjoy a Month on MTo than to participate in a challenge.

About 2 years ago I never owned a 112, had a few BBW and other Bantams, and a 110 for the 1st April Fools challenge. Loved the lock back design!

Then a 112LT was found. But wanted something more, and different, a Drop Point with Nickel Bolsters. Then at a G&K show a Diamondwood Ranger in like new condition was acquired.  These all were great, yet I knew I wanted something else.  This past summer a visit to Cabela’s while tending to grandson duties, A RED 112 Slim Select reeled me in, and has been my go to EDC since. 

The Nix visited Buck’s factory, and I had been eyeing a Pro, the I acquired a Pro Plus, upgraded blade with G10 scales lined with Red Micarta, it was love at first touch.

Later, a Web special email hit my box announcing colors.  I resisted, for almost 8 weeks.  But a Orange and Black Cherry arrived. 

All great knives, built as expected. Paper feathering sharp, and easy to carry. 

Since, almost all my previous EDC were 2-3/4” to 3-1/4” blades it made since for me to adopt the 112 Slims to serve this duty. 

This picture shows the 112 family as received, with first at bottom to latest on top.

Great challenge, well done everyone who joined as well as those who cheered by the side   :hatsoff: :cheers:

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #1441 on: January 30, 2020, 02:46:32 PM
Powernoodle Day 30

Thanks Brother Nix and everyone for an excellent Challenge.  This was the fastest one ever.  Good times.  :salute: :salute: :salute: :woohoo: :drink: :cheers:

Yeah, the last thing I need is another Swisstool Spirit, but the price was pretty good on Amazon.  This will go into my Special Reserve Collection in case there is a Spirit shortage someday.

Coasters.  Every day it is something new from Amazon.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1442 on: January 30, 2020, 03:03:09 PM
Some really nice pictures and uses.

Day 29
The mailman was nice to me today and the Ranger helped open up what he brought

(Image removed from quote.)
Nice mail call  :like: :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1443 on: January 30, 2020, 03:04:55 PM
Seemed to have misplaced the 112LT when I cleaned out my other pants since it was laundry day.

February, and well, most of 2020's goal is that, instead of buying more stuff, my plan is to A: send knives still under a manufacturer warranty for repair (that includes this older 112, which needs a new blade) B: have the majority of celluloid (and other shrunken synthetic) handled knives I'm using rehandled with something else (which, to have a knife repairman do it, will cost quite a bit), and have broken bone replaced. If it isn't really redoable without spending a great deal of cash, just buy something in passable shape. I should have known what I was getting into when I bought "parts or repair" knives.

Looking forward to seeing that 112 with it’s new blade!  :popcorn:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1444 on: January 30, 2020, 03:05:44 PM
Awesome job, guys!  :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1445 on: January 30, 2020, 03:06:03 PM
Day 29:

Where has this challenge gone....?   :ahhh

Zoom zoom! It went by fast  :like: :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1446 on: January 30, 2020, 03:07:09 PM

New in box Vic Ranger, well that's what it says on the box  :think:   it is certainly new and never used and it did come in a box so all is good, loving the electrician blade already, bonus with OC , what's not to love   :salute:

NIB Remington R2, as soon as i picked this up i knew i would like it, plastic stag by the look of it but F+F is spot on, lovely little knife, why have i always avoided Remington  :dunno: they have my attention now  :tu:

Great scores, Borg!   :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1447 on: January 30, 2020, 03:07:35 PM
I know it went very quick.

Day 30

Because it is technically the 30th and I did just use my Ranger, I’ll post my final pic.  The Ranger helped with cutting a piece of Reese Peanut Butter cup for my late night snack of Triple Chocolate Stout and peanut butter cup.

I’m glad I did this challenge because I actually found myself liking the Buck 112 more than expected, especially the Slim Pro.
Very nice  :like: :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1448 on: January 30, 2020, 03:08:31 PM
Day 30

Last day, this challenge has came and gone faster than I expected.  I know I probably say the same line for every other challenge, but it surely does feel this way this time.  First and foremost, thanks to many friends here on MTO, I am slowly developing my love for clip point.  From the traditional 30, to Nix's great thread about him visiting Buck, and using a Ranger everyday for this challenge, clip point blade certainly is growing on me.  So much so I went out and bought myself a few more clip point fixed blades. :facepalm: :D

Through out the challenge, I constantly compare the Ranger to many other folding blades I use.  I think what makes this blade awesome is the solid build, material and construction.  It's no super steel, but it's so easy to maintain and 420 is inherently quite stainless.  The simple handle and lockback might look rudimentary when compared to modern designs, but when cutting hard with it, the smooth handle is an absolute joy to use, and the solid lockback remain one of the lock I could trust and rely on. :tu:

Somewhere in the middle of the challenge, I decided to rotate between the original Ranger and it's modern cousin Slim 112.  I like the new Slim 112 for its great weight reduction, but that's pretty much what I like about this knife.  It's a very different knife, and when you try to cut hard with it, you can tell these are two very different knives.

To wrap up, my sincere thank you for Nix for hosting this wonderful challenge, and everyone who has participated, it was fun and I see you on the next challenge! :salute: :D

Nice Rangers for sure!  :like: :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1449 on: January 30, 2020, 03:08:57 PM

I’m glad I did this challenge because I actually found myself liking the Buck 112 more than expected, especially the Slim Pro.

The perfect reason to do these challenges. It's hard to live with a tool for a month and not come away with a little better understanding and appreciation of said tool.  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1450 on: January 30, 2020, 03:10:52 PM

To wrap up, my sincere thank you for Nix for hosting this wonderful challenge, and everyone who has participated, it was fun and I see you on the next challenge! :salute: :D

:cheers:   As always, it is you guys who make these challenges so much fun!   :2tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1451 on: January 30, 2020, 03:11:18 PM
Day 30 - No better way to enjoy a Month on MTo than to participate in a challenge.

About 2 years ago I never owned a 112, had a few BBW and other Bantams, and a 110 for the 1st April Fools challenge. Loved the lock back design!

Then a 112LT was found. But wanted something more, and different, a Drop Point with Nickel Bolsters. Then at a G&K show a Diamondwood Ranger in like new condition was acquired.  These all were great, yet I knew I wanted something else.  This past summer a visit to Cabela’s while tending to grandson duties, A RED 112 Slim Select reeled me in, and has been my go to EDC since. 

The Nix visited Buck’s factory, and I had been eyeing a Pro, the I acquired a Pro Plus, upgraded blade with G10 scales lined with Red Micarta, it was love at first touch.

Later, a Web special email hit my box announcing colors.  I resisted, for almost 8 weeks.  But a Orange and Black Cherry arrived. 

All great knives, built as expected. Paper feathering sharp, and easy to carry. 

Since, almost all my previous EDC were 2-3/4” to 3-1/4” blades it made since for me to adopt the 112 Slims to serve this duty. 

This picture shows the 112 family as received, with first at bottom to latest on top.

Great challenge, well done everyone who joined as well as those who cheered by the side   :hatsoff: :cheers:
Great collection - 7 Rangers - one for each day of the week!  :like: :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1452 on: January 30, 2020, 03:12:29 PM
Powernoodle Day 30

Thanks Brother Nix and everyone for an excellent Challenge.  This was the fastest one ever.  Good times.  :salute: :salute: :salute: :woohoo: :drink: :cheers:

Yeah, the last thing I need is another Swisstool Spirit, but the price was pretty good on Amazon.  This will go into my Special Reserve Collection in case there is a Spirit shortage someday.

Coasters.  Every day it is something new from Amazon.

Great duo there!  :like: :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1453 on: January 30, 2020, 03:19:19 PM
Day 30 photos

Well a few pocket scratches but nothing serious. After a month of usages, it did not fail me one bit. Even my backup’s saw no use. They were just there for photos. And it is still sharp, but then it is the S30V steel. I can see this one getting rotation time in the future.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1454 on: January 30, 2020, 04:48:34 PM
Day 30 photos

Well a few pocket scratches but nothing serious. After a month of usages, it did not fail me one bit. Even my backup’s saw no use. They were just there for photos. And it is still sharp, but then it is the S30V steel. I can see this one getting rotation time in the future.

Congrats on the finish!  This sure is one handsome ranger!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1455 on: January 30, 2020, 04:50:20 PM
 :iagree:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1457 on: January 30, 2020, 06:21:10 PM
Big Pasta, we need you in the MTo Unleashed challenge.....  :pok:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1458 on: January 30, 2020, 06:25:02 PM
Congrats on the finish!  This sure is one handsome ranger!
Thanks  :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1461 on: January 30, 2020, 06:26:49 PM
Day 30

It's been fun fellas and I've enjoyed the challenge. I always liked my 112 Ranger but it hasn't seen a lot of use in the last 20 years or so.It will probably stay semi retired as it is a special knife to me. I do really like the slim 112 and I can see carrying it more in the future.   :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1462 on: January 30, 2020, 06:35:43 PM
I understand that. When we do the 110 challenge I will be using the Slim Pro because of it being lighter!  :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1463 on: January 30, 2020, 06:40:24 PM
Day 30:

As comis noted earlier, the clip point can be very useful. Garlic here has started to sprout. I cut the peeled bulbs in half and use the fine tip to remove the sprouting parts before tossing them in with the simmering beans. (Making refried beans today. Nachos for the Superbowl!)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1464 on: January 30, 2020, 06:42:44 PM
I understand that. When we do the 110 challenge I will be using the Slim Pro because of it being lighter!  :cheers:

My Fools of April III knife is raring to go!   :viking:

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #1465 on: January 30, 2020, 06:43:06 PM

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1466 on: January 30, 2020, 06:59:56 PM
 :woohoo:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1467 on: January 30, 2020, 09:06:26 PM
Day 30:

As comis noted earlier, the clip point can be very useful. Garlic here has started to sprout. I cut the peeled bulbs in half and use the fine tip to remove the sprouting parts before tossing them in with the simmering beans. (Making refried beans today. Nachos for the Superbowl!)

Cool... :like: :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1468 on: January 30, 2020, 09:07:28 PM

My Fools of April III knife is raring to go!   :viking:

Oh wow, that is very nice and special year stamp!  :like: :cheers:

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #1469 on: January 30, 2020, 10:01:24 PM
Two great looking knives  :like: :cheers:

Thanks Ray  :tu:

Looks like a Camillus made Remington   :like: :tu:

Thanks Steve, that's good to know :tu:

:like: I've got a few Remingtons on my list. Good thing about the later ones that Camillus made, is that most are pretty reasonable and don't really carry huge price tags. I think there isn't a one that can't be had for over $50, sometimes $30-40 or even less for most is common. . On my list is the Trailhand (Camper), Bush Pilot (Moose), and whatever they called the really big 4 1/2" Scout knife they made, like the Trailhand, based on a very old Remington pattern back from the days they made their own line of knives.

I have had one eye open for a fully serrated blade for a while now and i see in the pamphlet an R11, two bladed thing that seems to have a serrated blade alongside a normal blade, i think that would be perfect for me  so i'm going to start looking for one, relieved  to hear Remington don't carry huge price tags  :tu:

Great scores, Borg!   :tu:

:hatsoff:   :cheers:

Day 30  I had a feeling before the challenge i will really like this knife and it didn't disappoint  :tu:

Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD