Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The watch collector challenge.

Chako · 380 · 8909

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
The watch collector challenge.
on: June 13, 2019, 07:30:42 AM
Day 1.

I think it is time. I plan on wearing a different watch every day until I run out of them. Not sure how this will go...but it will give me incentive to wear them all. I have noticed I tend to gravitate towards those I like more. As for simplicity. I will go about this logically. I will open a case, and grab them one by one in order.

Going to start this off with a vintage DeJuno watch bought in the late 80s from Sears if memory serves me right. I was attracted to the train motive. However, I haven't worn this time piece much because the hands are very hard to see. On the plus side, a super comfortable watch to wear, and the leather weave patterned bracelet is awesome as it stretches a little to accommodate large wrists. Still stuck on the last hole...but I do not notice it as much on this one.

Yes, it is 1:31 am as I write this...got a bit of insomnia brewing.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: The watch collector challenge.
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 07:40:20 AM
This should prove to be interesting and awesome. Looking forward to seeing and reading about your experiences with all of your watches, Chako! :popcorn:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 07:47:16 AM
I’d run out after 12, but only 6 of those are running, (well would be since I’d have to wind them and two are solar) the rest are all battery and dead.. I take that back, one of the 6 is a battery and running..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 07:52:31 AM
I figure this could go into October.  :ahhh

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 08:45:34 PM
Go for it!
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 12:17:27 AM
Already started. I wore the watch today to work...so comfortable that I forgot I even had it on until I needed the time.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 12:42:18 AM
Day 2.

I already broke my protocol by wearing the newest addition. I just knew I wouldn't be able to go without wearing the new watch for several months. Today I wore an Invicta limited edition Mickey Mouse watch. The back of the watch states that it is one of 3000. I myself am a fan of Mickey Mouse, and the watch sure is a good looker. This Mickey diver has screw down crown and pushers, and is rated for 200m. I do not have any negatives on this watch other than there is no date complication. The steel bracelet was actually a little large for my wrist out of the box. I had to move the adjustment pin inwards two spots. When a bracelet is too large for me...that is always a great thing.

Here is a photo taken from my classroom. No students today as it was a PD Day.

And one of my supper after work, at a place called Bucci's in Echo Bay Ontario Canada. Great place with great food.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 01:24:36 AM
Lol, cute :tu:
JR

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 02:09:39 AM
 :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 08:43:43 PM
Off to a good start, Chako! :like:

The Mickey Invicta is a rare one indeed. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 08:46:40 PM
Only just noticed your challenge Chako
good luck and great pics and watches  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 12:08:37 AM
Thanks Wspeed.

Day 3.

Got to love Casio. I think they make some of the best quality watches that hit way above their price point. Here is one I wore today. Another thing about Casio...their standard bracelet is longer than most other manufacturers out there. This means I can usually get away with using the third or second last hole. People with big wrists salute you Casio.

This model is AE-1000W. The reason why I bought this...I like the bronze/gold highlights. It has a neat world time illustrating world feature that gets the Geographer in me feeling happy. I do not much care for the dual time feature on this model however. The wee little hands are hard to distinguish from the quadrant markings. Another let down...when using the stop watch, it would have been nice to have that somewhat useless dual time display showing some sort of graphics/motion. I also should mention that the built in light is a brownish/yellow single LED at the 7 or 8 o'clock position. Much like the two G-shocks I have, it doesn't do that great of a job illuminating the display. Overall, I can't complain about this watch. The price is a steal for something that is durable, accurate, and functional. Bonus marks for it being so darn light on the wrist.

I had to visit Walmart today.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 12:20:35 AM by Chako »

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 12:16:19 PM
Nice  :like: :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 10:23:10 PM
Day 4,

Today, I wore a Casio WV-M60 Wave Ceptor Multi-band 5. A nice little watch that sets its own time for accuracy. Like many Casio watches, very generous when it comes to watchband length. I can get away with using the 4th last hole on this watch. Only 5 bar water resistant however. Best to keep this one out of water.

Today, I went on a small road trip to the midpoint of the Trans Canada Highway. The watch made a good road trip companion.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: June 16, 2019, 10:52:28 PM
Nice trip, Chako! :like:

Cool the Casio worked well for your day! :)

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: June 16, 2019, 11:01:06 PM
 :iagree: Nice one  :like: :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 10:39:33 PM
Day 5.

Today, I went super cheap, and a bit weird. I wore a lighter watch today. This one I saw at a local  pawn shop for around 4 bucks. I was attracted to the novelty of having a built in lighter. The watch is super cheap. So cheap in fact that when you pull the crown out, the hands have that cheap as can be shake. That shake hits them when you have set your time and try to push the crown back in. The sub dials are fake, which goes against my creed of never having fake sub dials just for looks. I made an exception to this one due to the lighter function. The wrist band is cheap as well...and feels like vinyl. The sole redeeming factor of this watch, there is a large lever on the side that ignites the lighter, and you get flame. What can I say, small things do amuse me.  :D

The watch and the mode of transportation for the day.

Here I am at work.

Flame + watch not a bad thing.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: June 17, 2019, 11:51:08 PM
Cool cheap watch with the lighter Chako  :like: :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: June 18, 2019, 06:55:10 AM
Fun challenge.  Its nice to get all those watches out for a day.  Well done so far  :like:
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: June 19, 2019, 12:02:12 AM
Day 6.

Here is a watch I have owned since 89/90 if memory serves me correctly. I was still in High School and when I first laid eyes on this watch, I just had to have it. What drew my attention to this one was the novel thermometer feature. Considering I bought this watch new and was stored away for decades with a dead battery, I am very lucky to not have the battery damage this one. Still works, and the bracelet is still good, even after all of these years. There is a scratch on the crystal, and I still remember when that happened at school. This watch has so many great memories for me...that I could never see myself throw it away, even if it stopped working.

I did not get the chance to eat breakfast, and thus ended up with this delicious chicken cesar salad at work. It was a great breakfast.

The athletic department had a rummage sell of old spirit wear. They had these nice hats with football on the back for a few dollars.

in case you were wondering, the model is a Casio 815 TS-100.  :salute:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: June 19, 2019, 12:04:07 AM
Still looking in good condition Chako  :like: :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: June 19, 2019, 12:05:41 AM
Agreed. Casio makes very dependable tough watches.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: June 19, 2019, 06:33:59 AM
Amazing that watch is 30 years old. :o

Very cool. :like:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: June 20, 2019, 01:03:39 AM
Day 7.

Today, I wore a Timex Men's TW4B02500 Expedition Grid Shock watch. Back in 2009, I wanted an ABC watch and couldn't decide on the Casio Pathfinder PAW 1500-3GB or a Timex Expedition WS4. I got both of them. The Timex Grid Shock is based on the older WS4 minus the ABC features that made the WS4 such a neat and unique watch. I got this watch because it reminded me of the WS4, that and I do like a large watch. This watch is smaller than the WS4, even though it is still quite a large watch. Built in vibration alarm is a cool feature. The biggest issue with this watch, and one that I forgot until I wore it today, is that the bracelet is formed with a bend, and my wrist is a little wider than the bend on the bracelet. Go figure. This makes the watch a bit uncomfortable over time, especially as the tight spot is on both sides of the wrist towards the bottom of the watch. After a while, my wrist feels like it is constantly being squeezed in a vice. It is a shame, as I really do like the style of this watch. You can see what I mean if you look at the photos.

Got to work a bit earlier than I usually do. Here I am in my classroom. I did do some report card comments...so the time was well spent. See how tight the watch fits me side to side. The bracelet is long enough that I can easily get to the second last hole. At that setting, I can still fit a finger under between the wrist and the bracelet. The formed bracelet bend on each side of the watch is tight.

After work, I picked up the better half and we ate at Noel's Place in Rankin Reserve. This place is a gem, and the food is excellent to. The owner is good friends with the Timber Kings (BC log builders/chainsaw carvers/tv show), and decked out the restaurant with a lot of high quality wood carvings from them. Here is a grizzly standing guard beside the main entrance to the restaurant. By the way, If you are ever in Sault Ste Marie Ontario, a visit here for their Indian Tacos is an easy recommendation.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 01:11:53 AM by Chako »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: June 20, 2019, 02:30:41 AM
It is a shame the watch bearly fits.  :whistle:

Very cool watch though and looks like y'all had a good time. :like:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: June 20, 2019, 03:01:42 AM
Not sure if I can bear too many puns.

:D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: June 20, 2019, 04:00:48 AM
 :rofl:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: June 20, 2019, 12:21:18 PM
 :rofl: :rofl: :facepalm:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: June 20, 2019, 12:21:54 PM
Nice looking watch  :like: :like: :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: June 21, 2019, 12:23:48 AM
Day 8.

Some watches are just different...and I mean that in a good way. This Skmei Drum Watch fascinates me as it is an auditory watch to wear. Every minute, the watch quietly grinds away to mark the passage of time. It is a super easy watch to read, as the 3 drums rotate in unison to tell the time. Setting this one up is a bit of a challenge as you have to calibrate the drums first to get them to line up. Once that is done however, the watch rotates those drums accurately. As far as features go, this one will only tell you the time, but in a cool way.

Breakfast this morning...raisin bread.

Outside next to a lilac tree.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85