Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Should I update my charger?

Roc · 11 · 624

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Should I update my charger?
on: December 10, 2019, 01:07:23 AM
I’ve been using an original intellicharger i4 for a long time. I’m wondering if there is a better choice out there. I charge eneloops, 14500’s, 18650s and recently 26650s. What is everyone’s choice when it comes to a more current charger?

it Offline Stefano

Re: Should I update my charger?
Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 01:23:55 AM
Is it very old ?? (before 2016)
If it works, you are not in a hurry and you do not need ultra-fast charge, you can also keep it.
Defect of the old I4 is that it is slow if you have to charge 4 batteries together (only 375 mA)

Try looking at Xtar chargers
There are endless models both USB and AC powered
I recommend trying a USB because it is more versatile, you can use it in a car, with a solar panel or a powerbank, but you must have a vaido adapter to use it at home connected to the mains (at least 2.4 A)
Among the many models see VC4 or VC4S or even better VP4 but as I said there are so many models.
If you always want to charge 4 batteries at a speed greater than 0.5A I think you have to go for VP4 or similar.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 01:38:19 AM
Is it very old ?? (before 2016)
If it works, you are not in a hurry and you do not need ultra-fast charge, you can also keep it.
Defect of the old I4 is that it is slow if you have to charge 4 batteries together (only 375 mA)

Try looking at Xtar chargers
There are endless models both USB and AC powered
I recommend trying a USB because it is more versatile, you can use it in a car, with a solar panel or a powerbank, but you must have a vaido adapter to use it at home connected to the mains (at least 2.4 A)
Among the many models see VC4 or VC4S or even better VP4 but as I said there are so many models.
If you always want to charge 4 batteries at a speed greater than 0.5A I think you have to go for VP4 or similar.
The bays charging at a different rate is the downside for me. I also recently bought a light that takes a 26650 battery. I honestly don’t like the way it sits in the charger. Probably my OCD coming out, but still don’t like it. I also vape and need to be able to charge multiple 18650s every other day. Maybe I need to look into multiple chargers.

it Offline Stefano

Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 01:51:33 AM
If it is very old you may have some problems with some new battery formats (especially if you use protected batteries)
If you don't want to spend a lot of money, you could settle for 2-slot Xtar versions to charge only lithium batteries
Look at xtar.cc/charger   there are all the versions on display.

Although I didn't need it (I already have bigger models) this year I wanted to try MC2, MC2S, MC3
They are fast and cheap.

Edit: I also tried the SC2 version it is very valid.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 02:00:23 AM
If it is very old you may have some problems with some new battery formats (especially if you use protected batteries)
If you don't want to spend a lot of money, you could settle for 2-slot Xtar versions to charge only lithium batteries
Look at xtar.cc/charger   there are all the versions on display.

Although I didn't need it (I already have bigger models) this year I wanted to try MC2, MC2S, MC3
They are fast and cheap.

Edit: I also tried the SC2 version it is very valid.

Price doesn’t matter, with in reason. I’m just not up to speed with what’s out there. I’ll have a look at your suggestions. Thanks for your input.  :cheers:

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 02:48:41 AM
I have a Basen smart charger that does well, but I agree, the Xtar get great reveiws. There is an extensive testing database over at BudgetLightForums in which many chargers were tested and the Xtar rated very well.

What I like about my Basen is it can be plugged in or use mini usb. It can also serve as a power bank as it has a usb out port. I tested it on my tablet and with an 18650 battery, it charged quite well. I just like having all the versatility that I can in my charger.
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 03:25:41 AM
Both XTAR and Nitecore make some really good chargers.  My preference is the Nitecore SC4.  If you do not like the automatic charging settings you can manually adjust them.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 03:41:41 AM
Both XTAR and Nitecore make some really good chargers.  My preference is the Nitecore SC4.  If you do not like the automatic charging settings you can manually adjust them.

Great suggestion. I’ve had great luck with my intellicharger, so this wouldn’t be a great leap for me. Are the bays deep enough for a 26650? That’s my current issue. I can only charge 1 at a time in the i4. Second slot and it doesn’t fit very well. It works, but just seems unnatural.

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 06:07:34 AM
I do not have a 26650 battery to test but I know it says that it fits them and at a minimum I would think that they should fit in channel 1 and 4.

it Offline Stefano

Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 10:35:46 AM

I did not know this model of Nitecore.
It seems to have very excellent features.

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 03:52:06 PM
I am kind of interested in one of the chargers with the ability to connect to my phone via Bluetooth. Seems like a good way to monitor progress. I don't know...maybe it is just gimicky. Just seems cool.
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%