Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

PSA - Check your flashlights

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: PSA - Check your flashlights
Reply #30 on: June 24, 2019, 04:38:12 AM
Thank you very much, Pabs!  :salute:

Definitely worth getting back into rechargeable batteries again. My only experience with them is limited to the rechargeable NiCd and rechargeable alkaline batteries from the 90s(which weren't great and got set aside when they couldn't run my digital camera and other modern high-drain devices). Will be nice to try the NiMH, with Eneloops.  :)

I think the eneloop is light years ahead of good old nicd or even most nimh cells, they don't have as much 'memory' problem, and no need to empty to charge everytime.  If you are into rechargeable, they are really nice to get.

Personally, I am just a really forgetful person, and it's hard to keep track what needs to get charged or not.  So most of my AAA/AA remotes/appliances I use Lithium AA/AAA, but for stuff I use very frequently and track everyday(like my wireless keyboard/mouse), I think eneloops are the way to go.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #31 on: June 24, 2019, 04:44:18 AM
 :iagree: thanks, comis!  :cheers:

I was thinking Eneloops for my EDC lights, digital camera, and neck fan(I use at work to keep my face from sweating while finishing wood). They are all high-drain, so the costs would even out relative to the Lithium rather quickly. But, for emergency gear and such, Lithiums are still the best option as far as I can figure. 10-20 year average shelf life, high output, lower cost, and reliability are the strong suits.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #32 on: June 24, 2019, 09:12:38 AM
Yeah, lithium is best for emergency gear that needs to stay on standby.  :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: June 24, 2019, 12:45:12 PM
I think the eneloop is light years ahead of good old nicd or even most nimh cells, they don't have as much 'memory' problem, and no need to empty to charge everytime.  If you are into rechargeable, they are really nice to get.

Personally, I am just a really forgetful person, and it's hard to keep track what needs to get charged or not.  So most of my AAA/AA remotes/appliances I use Lithium AA/AAA, but for stuff I use very frequently and track everyday(like my wireless keyboard/mouse), I think eneloops are the way to go.

An Eneloop is simply a Brand Name plopped on a NiMH Battery made by Sanyo/Panasonic.

I agree that they are great and can be a lifesaver if you are a Flashlight that gets sporadic use and if I were able to monitor and make sure that I was always carrying charged cells on the job every day.

I am not though and experience has shown me 2 things about this.

1-I will simply not have working batteries when I need them if I am required to keep charged units with me during work.
2-I will be OK with regular Alkaline Batteries as long as I make sure to use them quickly and move on to fresh ones as soon as I need them and I need them a lot.

I am trying to balance the needs of work which I can not negotiate or plan for really vs. the idea of recharging batteries all the time so that I always have them ready and I just need them faster and more than I can recharge them.

If this is not your reality for whatever reason then I am happy for you but it is not mine.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: June 24, 2019, 01:46:05 PM
One thing I love about eneloops is the discharge curve:

At a discharge rate of 1 Amp, which would deplete a 1900mAh white eneloop AA in about 2 hours, the eneloop gives you higher voltage, and thus power (because power = volts X amps) than a alkaline non-rechargeable Duracell Ultra AA.

BUT! At a small discharge rate of 0.3 Amps and less, while the eneloop gives you the same discharge curve, the alkaline Duracell suddenly has a much better discharge curve. Eneloops are still cheaper over even 30 cycles though.

Thus, eneloops outperform Alkaline batteries at high discharge rates by a huge amount, and Energizer Lithiums outperform eneloops by a similar margin.
At low discharge rates, alkalines outperform eneloops.

Energizer Lithium batteries have a much better discharge curve at low to medium-high discharge rates than eneloops.
Screenshot_20190624-123646.jpg
* Screenshot_20190624-123646.jpg (Filesize: 97.42 KB)
Screenshot_20190624-124754.jpg
* Screenshot_20190624-124754.jpg (Filesize: 112.94 KB)
Screenshot_20190624-125000.jpg
* Screenshot_20190624-125000.jpg (Filesize: 114.29 KB)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 01:51:06 PM by Don Pablo »

All hail the hook!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #35 on: December 06, 2019, 10:19:14 PM
I don't trust anything, I lost a ThruNite T10s flashlight to an Eneloop that spilled its guts inside it. :cry:

If you wanna store it for a longer time, lithium or lithium ion from reputable brands. Otherwise, store separatly

Kinda surprised Eneloops leaking  :-[ .  I've had some Eneloops sitting in lights for a while with no issues. I also make sure to unscrew the heads slightly so no accidental activation while sitting.  Thanks for the heads up tho, Ill keep an eye on those lights. 

I have Surefire Lithium and Panasonic as well as Olight 14500s rechargeable.  I run the 14500s in my Zebralight SC52L2.     

Interesting. I've never had an eneloop leak.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

I know it's been a while :facepalm: ...

But I just found it. I thought I threw it away, I knew I kept it for some time as a reminder and as I wanted to take pics of the leak, but couldn't find it ... till now.

The culprit, the leaky eneloop lite.

I know I've had it for years, and the rest of the pack it came with are still going strong in other devices and flashlights, but this one ... :shrug: ... leaked. And not like alkalines leak, this one just seems like it got wet, hardly if any corrosion, no build up on either the flashlight it ruined or itself.
MVIMG_20191206_215739.jpg
* MVIMG_20191206_215739.jpg (Filesize: 112.38 KB)
MVIMG_20191206_215820.jpg
* MVIMG_20191206_215820.jpg (Filesize: 190.26 KB)
MVIMG_20191206_215840.jpg
* MVIMG_20191206_215840.jpg (Filesize: 194.03 KB)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: December 06, 2019, 10:24:37 PM
I know it's been a while :facepalm: ...

But I just found it. I thought I threw it away, I knew I kept it for some time as a reminder and as I wanted to take pics of the leak, but couldn't find it ... till now.

The culprit, the leaky eneloop lite.

I know I've had it for years, and the rest of the pack it came with are still going strong in other devices and flashlights, but this one ... :shrug: ... leaked. And not like alkalines leak, this one just seems like it got wet, hardly if any corrosion, no build up on either the flashlight it ruined or itself.
That's the first time I've seen an original generation Lite! :o
50-70% of my age...

All hail the hook!

it Offline Stefano

Reply #37 on: December 06, 2019, 11:05:10 PM
I was unaware that Lite in the AA version existed (so far only seen in the AAA version)   ???

Searching the web I found them, they are AA with a capacity of 950 mA and have 3000 guaranteed cycles.

This official link could perhaps help ..

https://www.panasonic-eneloop.eu/en/faq/what-could-cause-leakage-ni-mh-rechargeable-batteries

it Offline Stefano

Reply #38 on: December 06, 2019, 11:25:39 PM
I do not understand if something has changed over time, I knew that this type of battery does not contain electrolyte.
I also found an old thread on CPF where, however, a bad battery charger is also blamed.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?180661-NiMH-leakage-Does-it-happen

in these FAQs we talk about possible leaks but also gas emission if the battery is stressed.
In this case, I wonder if the leaked gas may seem to be an electrolyte leakage to the touch
https://eneloop101.com/faq

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #39 on: December 07, 2019, 12:16:05 AM
That's the first time I've seen an original generation Lite! :o
50-70% of my age...

Ha? :think:

These were bought in 2012. That would make you 10-14 years old.... :shrug:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: December 07, 2019, 04:24:47 PM
I was unaware that Lite in the AA version existed (so far only seen in the AAA version)   ???

Searching the web I found them, they are AA with a capacity of 950 mA and have 3000 guaranteed cycles.

This official link could perhaps help ..

https://www.panasonic-eneloop.eu/en/faq/what-could-cause-leakage-ni-mh-rechargeable-batteries
The Lite version is made for Panasonic now, in China!
In AA and AAA versions.
When Sanyo was in control of eneloop, they were made in Japan.

Speaking of the Chinese-made Panasonic eneloop Lite, IKEA sells them too under their "Ladda" name, at a ridiculously low price. That's where I got my Lites.

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: December 07, 2019, 04:27:36 PM
Ha? :think:

These were bought in 2012. That would make you 10-14 years old.... :shrug:
:oops:
All the signs on the battery wrapper made me believe that they were made pre-2009, possibly as far as 2006. I guess what applies to the standard capacity eneloops doesn't apply here...
Like 91mm vs 84mm SAK tool evolution. :rofl:

All hail the hook!

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Reply #42 on: December 07, 2019, 08:19:07 PM
I must be a high capacity battery...I also often leak.
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: December 09, 2019, 04:48:47 AM
I must be a high capacity battery...I also often leak.

I think DP's chart make sense, and I do remember using nimh for high draw usage back in my incan days.  But for those small lights I use less often(AA, AAA), I do tend to use the Li AA or AAA to prevent leaks.  Maybe it was the construction or chemistry of it, but it just never leak on me.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #44 on: December 11, 2019, 02:41:04 PM
My Sidewinder wouldn't work last night; and it had been a little fussy for about the past week. Had been using the light every night.  Noticed the negative terminal of one of the AAs had corroded (not leaked!). Battery was a couple months old ,and had been in the light a month or less.  Hard to believe a Duracell would do it. Maybe it explains why Maglite has changed from Duracell to Rayovac in terms of the batteries they pack with the lights.  I put in Energizers this time.

it Offline Stefano

Reply #45 on: December 11, 2019, 03:12:18 PM
My Sidewinder wouldn't work last night; and it had been a little fussy for about the past week. Had been using the light every night.  Noticed the negative terminal of one of the AAs had corroded (not leaked!). Battery was a couple months old ,and had been in the light a month or less.  Hard to believe a Duracell would do it. Maybe it explains why Maglite has changed from Duracell to Rayovac in terms of the batteries they pack with the lights.  I put in Energizers this time.

All this is normal!
I do not use alkaline but over the years I have bought several alkaline batteries to keep for emergency, when in theory the gift should arrive towards the deadline.
Over the years I have seen Duracell lose more than any other brand (particularly Duracell Industrial)

The reliability record is given by the free AA batteries that the Fenix gives in the blisters of their AA lights (Pairdeer Industrial)
It is thought that being free they are cheap, I have lights bought in 2012 that have these batteries still without any loss.
In many cases I removed the batteries from the blister pack for fear of leaks and put them in an airtight bag but still no leaks, batteries that are now 6 or 7 years old!
Even AA Energizer (alkaline) is very reliable.

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #46 on: December 12, 2019, 03:27:22 AM
I use Eneloops for all my AA and AAA needs. They are rechargeable, hold the charge for a very long time and I never had one leak at me. Love ‘em  :tu:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: December 12, 2019, 12:58:19 PM

Frequent 'Duraleaks' were one factor why I switched to various brands of NiMH cells (all LSD).

All hail the hook!

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #48 on: December 21, 2019, 03:04:52 AM
I had removed the batteries from electronics that do not get used often, but a flashlight escaped.  :oops:
The battery had corroded, but the flashlight still works. :tu:

Check your stuff, and remove batteries from them and store them separately if you don't use them often.

It's always a good practice to remove the batteries from things that don't get regular use.  If you do discover that a battery has started to leak acid you might be able to clean up the corrosion if it isn't too bad.  Wipe away as much acid as you can, then clean the corroded metal contacts with cotton swabs and white vinegar.  I saved a couple radios that a friend had written off as total losses.  One just needed cleaning, the other I had to make a new ground spring for, but it was a easy fix.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%