Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Some people are just not very smart... (or are just jerks)

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
I won 3 auctions from 1 guy on eBay, each with $12 shipping. Before auctions ended, I asked if he would offer combined shipping, and got a single "Depend" as a reply (point and attitude duly noted).

After the wins, I asked for an invoice with the combined shipping. I estimated the three would fit into a USPS Large Flat rate, which should be about $20, the cheapest option to send from TX to PA. I was hoping for a $10 discount, so the seller would still profit a few bucks on the shipping.

The guy flat out refused to give me combined shipping discount, and was ready to ship them "together" once I paid. Fair enough, it was not in the listing descriptions. I asked if he would send three separate packages, if I paid total shipping charge in full. He said yes if that was what I would want him to  :o   

Well, I certainly paid for those three items with full shipping charges in 3 separate transactions, and specifically asked for three packages.  :dunno:  I expected the paid shipping charge would barely cover actual shipping costs. >:D Granted, I got good deals, and I might have let him profit from the shipping if not for the rude attitude I felt from him through the msg exchange.

Moral lesson: if someone got a good deal from your auction, be grateful that he is paying more than the next bidder. It is not his fault for your auction to end low.  :hatsoff:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Some people are just not very smart... (or are just jerks)
Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 07:34:44 AM
Yeah. That guy is a douche. He would have had so much less to do(aside from the money issue) if he had combined the shipping. Now the guy will have to pack and ship three separate containers like you said. :rofl:

Though. I wonder. Is he using his work's carrier shipping or something(without permission undoubtedly). So he makes the $36? Hard to know for certain. :facepalm:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 07:47:52 AM
I actually bought from him before. He used USPS, paid thru eBay. As the things weigh over 1 lb each with rectangular shapes, he would likely use USPS Medium flat rate boxes, which cost about $12.80 each, whereas the Large FR box is $17.60 thru eBay. Or he could go rouge and ship them Parcel Select just for spite. I dunno. I could have tried to explain the absurdity of his decision, but it might be too much. The way eBay operates nowadays, a seller must be careful with the packaging, no matter how much he does not like the buyer.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 08:03:33 AM
Oh man. That guy really screwed up then. :facepalm:

Here is hoping he doesn't do anything out of spite. :cheers:

Like you said, the eBay repercussions for sellers are harsh. I used to do the eBay end of sales at my last job. It is amazing how much eBay will help buyers. And before the seller protections were implemented, I dealt with many cases of buyer extortion. Example: I'd ship a chandelier with the correct amount of crystals(+4 extra of each in case the buyer broke one putting them on) that were shown and listed, but the buyer would call and say they think more crystals would look better. I'd ask how many they'd like to buy, and the reply might be "well, we will give you good feedback if you just send more crystals"(meaning they get them for free, or we'd get negative feedback.  :ahhh

Seller protection stopped later on, but I digress. Apologies for rambling. :salute:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 08:26:47 AM
I won 3 auctions from 1 guy on eBay, each with $12 shipping. Before auctions ended, I asked if he would offer combined shipping, and got a single "Depend" as a reply (point and attitude duly noted).

After the wins, I asked for an invoice with the combined shipping. I estimated the three would fit into a USPS Large Flat rate, which should be about $20, the cheapest option to send from TX to PA. I was hoping for a $10 discount, so the seller would still profit a few bucks on the shipping.

The guy flat out refused to give me combined shipping discount, and was ready to ship them "together" once I paid. Fair enough, it was not in the listing descriptions. I asked if he would send three separate packages, if I paid total shipping charge in full. He said yes if that was what I would want him to  :o   

Well, I certainly paid for those three items with full shipping charges in 3 separate transactions, and specifically asked for three packages.  :dunno:  I expected the paid shipping charge would barely cover actual shipping costs. >:D Granted, I got good deals, and I might have let him profit from the shipping if not for the rude attitude I felt from him through the msg exchange.

Moral lesson: if someone got a good deal from your auction, be grateful that he is paying more than the next bidder. It is not his fault for your auction to end low.  :hatsoff:

People are like that, I got that kind of 'service' once in a while, and eventually learn to ask the seller before bidding whether they can combine ship and how much discount.

The worst case I'd ever seen was a seller refusing to combine ship after I 'commit to buy', charge full international shipping for all items, and refused to ship separately.  That was a lesson hard learnt, and I sworn not to ever repeat.  Evil bay should have offer the option to seller to inquiry about combined shipping before committing.

Oh man. That guy really screwed up then. :facepalm:

Here is hoping he doesn't do anything out of spite. :cheers:

Like you said, the eBay repercussions for sellers are harsh. I used to do the eBay end of sales at my last job. It is amazing how much eBay will help buyers. And before the seller protections were implemented, I dealt with many cases of buyer extortion. Example: I'd ship a chandelier with the correct amount of crystals(+4 extra of each in case the buyer broke one putting them on) that were shown and listed, but the buyer would call and say they think more crystals would look better. I'd ask how many they'd like to buy, and the reply might be "well, we will give you good feedback if you just send more crystals"(meaning they get them for free, or we'd get negative feedback.  :ahhh

Seller protection stopped later on, but I digress. Apologies for rambling. :salute:

I think people are just people, nowadays, as a buyer, I just filmed every package opening to be fair.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 02:41:41 PM
I am not sure just why you are upset here?

The listing does not mention combined shipping discount which you acknowledge right?

Then the Seller does give a not at all helpful one word reply to your inquiry but again this just follows the listing so how is this an issue?

If not satisfied with the answer did you follow up and ask for a better one?

I consider this a Red Flag myself and after the one word reply I will simply move on but I have little right to judge a situation that I literally know nothing about unless I persist in learning more,do I?

Ebay has gotten a lot more crappy on both sides over the years I think and is no longer anything for me other than a Store where I will shop as needed but I rarely have any real expectations of "Fair" treatment from anyone as people are certainly more insane and entitled everywhere and have little respect for the process of "Selling" as an active effort on the part of the Seller?
They act like they are doing you a favor of some kind if merely shipping yo the item.

I used to receive Computers in Envelopes with no protection or padding  or consideration for the item arriving safely before Ebay stepped in to regulate that somewhat and while this might seem unbelievable on the face of it Stupid=Jerks when I have paid good money for the item to arrive safely.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 03:11:47 PM
I am a little upset, but mostly annoyed. At the end of the day, if you demand 3 separate shipping charges, it is within my right to request 3 shipments. This is what regular business would do when you place orders.

The discounted combined shipping is more of a give and take, both parties save some money and time. I am savvy, but am always respectful toward others when buying or selling on eBay. If I receive smartass treatment, the other end should expect the same as well.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 04:22:57 PM
I am a little upset, but mostly annoyed. At the end of the day, if you demand 3 separate shipping charges, it is within my right to request 3 shipments. This is what regular business would do when you place orders.

The discounted combined shipping is more of a give and take, both parties save some money and time. I am savvy, but am always respectful toward others when buying or selling on eBay. If I receive smartass treatment, the other end should expect the same as well.

So are you saying that he did not ship them separate?
I did not see where you mention this.

But yes I agree people can be Jerks and Stupid all day long.

On the other hand you might be making assumptions based on facts you have no idea about with him too?

I sure would not buy from him again.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 05:07:45 PM
You can see in my 1st post, he said he would ship them together, but I had to pay all separate shipping charges. I did not ask for shipping discount after paying. My theory is, since I won at low prices, he wanted to get some money from the shipping (the "depend" thing).

I will still buy from him if he has good deals. But I will surely ask for separate shipping, if this is the game he plays. Some of the USPS clerks in my area are nice people, I can give them some business there.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 06:54:59 PM
You can see in my 1st post, he said he would ship them together, but I had to pay all separate shipping charges. I did not ask for shipping discount after paying. My theory is, since I won at low prices, he wanted to get some money from the shipping (the "depend" thing).

I will still buy from him if he has good deals. But I will surely ask for separate shipping, if this is the game he plays. Some of the USPS clerks in my area are nice people, I can give them some business there.

Yeah I saw where you said what you wanted him to do but I still do not know what he actually ended up doing?

I am trying to understand which part annoyed you,the fact that he would not pass on cheaper combined shipping or that even after that did he not ship as was requested in separate packages or both?

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 08:24:49 PM
What annoyed me was the fact that there was money to be saved, less packing labor would be needed, but the seller decided to play hardball. As said, I might have let him profit from the extra shipping gain, if not for his $#itty communication attitude. I did not even suggest the $10 saving I hoped for. He got to decide the shipping charge in the invoice, which he did not bother to send.

I have not received the shipments yet, so can't tell how he actually shipped. He said he would ship separately. If I get 3 packages in the condition shown in the listings, he will get positive feedback. If I get 1 package with 3 items in it, depending on how they are packed, he will get neutral at most. I want to get what I pay for, which includes the shipping.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 09:23:05 AM
The funny part is he probably didn't get any bids cause his shipping was too high to begin with and most people are turned off by sellers making extra money that way.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 08:30:50 PM
When I'm considering buying multiples of a particular item I usually ask the seller if they will do a better price because of the savings on postage.  I'm surprised how many refuse, but unless it is a really cheap deal I often don't buy from them just on principal ie we should be able to share the savings on shipping costs.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #13 on: June 28, 2019, 01:06:47 AM
I received packages from the guy. I actually bought 4 identical items, one is a day before the 3 mentioned in this thread. As expected, the 1st one was shipped with Priority, in a box. The three shipped individually were shipped with Parcel Select Ground, with a layer of bubble wrap, stuffed inside plastic mailers. I guess he tried to keep the weight just below 3 lbs, or just out of spite  :dunno: Luckily, there is no damage to my items. I checked the postage cost from his zip to mine: $12.54/each against $12/each I paid.

So I won more items from his listings today. Prices were good. Again, guy refused to combine shipping. I paid $47 shipping fee for items which should fit in a flat rate box for $18. I obviously asked for individual packages.  :salute:

Thank you guys for reading my rant  :cheers:

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #14 on: June 28, 2019, 07:25:20 AM
It has to be something really, really, really special for me to get it from fleabay without free shipping. For that matter I don't order from much of anywhere without free shipping.

OK, SO I'M A SKINFLINT.   :shrug:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 30, 2019, 02:23:45 AM
Meanwhile I bought a used sak & returned it cause it was not even close to sellers description, he gave me partial refund that did not include original shipping fee(And did not mention he would do this in our communication), so I got fed up with the shenanigans and opened a case with ebay. I won't name names at this point, but will update after I hear back. It's not much money, but it's the principal of the thing.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #16 on: June 30, 2019, 08:24:18 AM
It has to be something really, really, really special for me to get it from fleabay without free shipping. For that matter I don't order from much of anywhere without free shipping.

OK, SO I'M A SKINFLINT.   :shrug:
You know there is no such thing as free shipping, right?  >:D 

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: June 30, 2019, 09:49:50 AM
I received packages from the guy. I actually bought 4 identical items, one is a day before the 3 mentioned in this thread. As expected, the 1st one was shipped with Priority, in a box. The three shipped individually were shipped with Parcel Select Ground, with a layer of bubble wrap, stuffed inside plastic mailers. I guess he tried to keep the weight just below 3 lbs, or just out of spite  :dunno: Luckily, there is no damage to my items. I checked the postage cost from his zip to mine: $12.54/each against $12/each I paid.

So I won more items from his listings today. Prices were good. Again, guy refused to combine shipping. I paid $47 shipping fee for items which should fit in a flat rate box for $18. I obviously asked for individual packages.  :salute:

I don't quite get him...if the seller's cost is $12.54, and you paid $12 for shipping each, there is just absolutely no gain but just more hassle?  Ok, if the seller worries about lost package, will the combined shipping with insurance still be cheaper than shipping separately(he could probably even seize in a few bucks incentive, and everyone still win-win)? :think:

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #18 on: June 30, 2019, 01:29:34 PM

I don't get it why he refuses to combine the shipping  :dunno:

Maybe it has something to do with fear of eBay buyer protection misuse? You can't use the same tracking number on multiple items so maybe he's affraid that you'll claim the other items as not received?

But if you simply make one invoice for all the items, the one tracking number counts for all the items on the invoice. Maybe your seller doesn't know that?
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #19 on: June 30, 2019, 06:09:38 PM
I don't get him either. Sometimes, people just do irrational things to satisfy their ego. He uses eBay-logoed shipping supplies, pays thru the eBay system for shipping discount..., the guy is well prepared for this business. I have over 1,000 feedback score, he should not be worried about me pulling a stunt on him.

Perhaps, he just does not like people to suggest him what to do. Granted, I went out of my way to do something that had absolutely no gain on my end (by asking him to ship separately). But his communication sucks, and well, I was bored  >:D

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 01, 2019, 12:19:35 AM
Ebay came through and ruled in my favor, so I got the shipping charge back...still I think this seller was very unscrupulous and I would not buy from him again, this was probably the first used SAK I bought on ebay and I have been a member there for over 15 years so I was like wtf is this how it's gonna be? Anyway if someone wants the sellers name shoot me a PM as I don't want any of you guys having the same issue.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #21 on: July 05, 2019, 01:32:08 PM
I bought two different items from the same seller on ebay within about a minute of each other. Even though they were separate transactions I figured it would still be easier to get them both from the same seller and they could ship them together (the shipping costs were next to nothing so I wasn't worried about trying to save there).
The two items arrived 9 days apart.  ::)

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #22 on: July 06, 2019, 02:14:20 PM
I bought two different items from the same seller on ebay within about a minute of each other. Even though they were separate transactions I figured it would still be easier to get them both from the same seller and they could ship them together (the shipping costs were next to nothing so I wasn't worried about trying to save there).
The two items arrived 9 days apart.  ::)

Depending on when they were sent that delay may be down to the shipping company, not the sender.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%