Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Free T4 knife oriented multitool

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Re: Leatherman Free T4 knife oriented multitool
Reply #30 on: June 27, 2019, 08:24:18 PM
Yeah, I am definitely agreeing with this.  They should be inset into the clip so there is nothing grabbing the pant material.  Those screws will eat your pocket over time. 

(Image removed from quote.)

I wonder if we can simply drill a concave indent and replace the screws with recessed ones, I have a similar issue when using the leatherman pocket clip on the Charge ALX.

To be fair, I see this same think happen over and over. Even on really expensive pocket knives. they could have easily gone with a domed style screw which would definitely help immensely. Finding a screw that would be more ergonomic would probably be easier than the mod I am suggesting.

us Online powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: June 27, 2019, 09:25:28 PM
One handed opening and locking make using these tools quite a bit safer.

Yeah, no question about that one.  Having locking drivers is pretty awesome.  I have not been able to "thumb roll" the main blade open, but I might also be wimpy.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: June 27, 2019, 10:36:42 PM
I have not been able to "thumb roll" the main blade open, but I might also be wimpy.

I'm not sure you're suppose to thumb roll the blade, don't recall seeing that in their video.

us Online powernoodle

Reply #33 on: June 27, 2019, 11:22:58 PM
Maybe that's why I can't do it.  The spring tension on the blade is just too strong.

But it does have the same little flipper tab as the tools that you thumb roll, but that little flipper also serves to engage the lock.

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: June 28, 2019, 02:15:05 AM
I'm not sure you're suppose to thumb roll the blade, don't recall seeing that in their video.

Actually that sparked some memory of previous videos. Someone asked that out of concern for safety. The main blades have much stronger retention on purpose to prevent accidental stabbing when opening other tools as part of the thumb roll... will see if I can find the video. Mostly I'd be opening the blade normally like any folding knife imo.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #35 on: June 28, 2019, 02:34:53 AM
Maybe that's why I can't do it.  The spring tension on the blade is just too strong.

But it does have the same little flipper tab as the tools that you thumb roll, but that little flipper also serves to engage the lock.

Looks like the end of each implement serves as a cam which presses against the spring loaded lock.  The cam on the knife blade is shaped differently than the cam on the pry tool and file so that it presses against the lock more aggressively "early" in the blade's deployment.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline OUTDOORTREE

Reply #36 on: June 28, 2019, 08:38:08 AM
Mine will arrive from Amazon on Tuesday. I'll start a 30 day challenge.
Right now I own:
the signal - comes camping, hunting, fishing... I wish it had scissors
wave - around the house and in the yard
Surge - stays in the jeep and use when on the road or working on the Jeep
I haven't had a daily carry leatherman since I lost my last skeletool. I am hoping the T4 will be good for me for a daily carry.  Wave is just to big for me to daily carry as I wear suits, slacks, or gym shorts a lot.

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: June 28, 2019, 02:50:35 PM
Mine will arrive from Amazon on Tuesday. I'll start a 30 day challenge.
Right now I own:
the signal - comes camping, hunting, fishing... I wish it had scissors
wave - around the house and in the yard
Surge - stays in the jeep and use when on the road or working on the Jeep
I haven't had a daily carry leatherman since I lost my last skeletool. I am hoping the T4 will be good for me for a daily carry.  Wave is just to big for me to daily carry as I wear suits, slacks, or gym shorts a lot.

There is actually space for scissors over the can opener, u just have to make the exchanger work on the other side by cutting a slot in it. Check the hacked Leatherman club for pics of my signal with surge exchanger and scissors.

Edit: the k4 is 89.95...not even close to worth it compared to T4, unless u are left handed I guess. I think the T4 as it stands might be my only addition from this new gen atm.

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #38 on: June 29, 2019, 04:22:33 AM
I am finding it better to carry the T4 in the bottom of the pocket rather than clipped on the pocket.  It is pretty much the same same size as an Explorer, though thinner and 0.5 ounce heavier.  So about the same really.  It makes it easier to get the hand in the pocket, and eliminates the minor issue of the clip screws ripping across your pant.

But in the end, I will always return to my true love - the Explorer Plus.  It lacks the T4's file, pocket clip and locking tools, but in all other respects packs more utility into the same form factor.  The T4 is superior if you employ the file regularly, like the locking tools (which is no small benefit) or the clip.

(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks for the great pics and SAK comparison powernoodle.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #39 on: July 01, 2019, 01:48:55 AM
I have been using the T4 and really like it (except for the pocket clip screws).  I removed the pocket clip, added a short lanyard, and carry it along a Knipex Cobra pliers in a belt pouch.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Wessaen

• Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
Reply #40 on: July 02, 2019, 02:41:46 AM
Got my T4 on Saturday and have been carrying it since.

Overall I like it. Not sure it will replace my Compact/Pioneer X but the locking features and decent Phillips screwdriver are major pluses.

The biggest gripe I have about the T4 is the clip. Why in the heck did they make it tip down carry rather than just incorporate the Phillips side tools axial screw into the one of the screw clips? I guess the locking mechanism would also be more difficult to release..

I don't know of anyone that carries a knife tip down as you have to then rotate the knife in your hands 180 degrees to get it into position to then open it one handed.

Also, does anyone else have an issue with the awl being constantly "stuck" to the scissors when trying to thumb deploy them?

Has anyone picked up the T2? It seems like most of us just went for the T4 instead.

-Wes.
Work EDC: LM Raptor/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: July 02, 2019, 05:02:34 AM
Got my T4 on Saturday and have been carrying it since.

Overall I like it. Not sure it will replace my Compact/Pioneer X but the locking features and decent Phillips screwdriver are major pluses.

The biggest gripe I have about the T4 is the clip. Why in the heck did they make it tip down carry rather than just incorporate the Phillips side tools axial screw into the one of the screw clips? I guess the locking mechanism would also be more difficult to release..

I don't know of anyone that carries a knife tip down as you have to then rotate the knife in your hands 180 degrees to get it into position to then open it one handed.

Also, does anyone else have an issue with the awl being constantly "stuck" to the scissors when trying to thumb deploy them?

Has anyone picked up the T2? It seems like most of us just went for the T4 instead.

-Wes.

The T2 misses the file, scissor ,and clip..yes..not worth it at 40 imo. T4 on the other hand has a great toolset

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #42 on: July 02, 2019, 07:34:39 AM
I dunno about not worth it? Locking blade and drivers - made in the US? $40 is cheap enough IMO. Not as bang-for-buck as the T4, but still a good buy for someone wanting a locking blade and drivers in a smaller package for $40. :dunno:
I paid more than that for my Vic Nomad when it was on sale.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: July 02, 2019, 04:27:30 PM
I dunno about not worth it? Locking blade and drivers - made in the US? $40 is cheap enough IMO. Not as bang-for-buck as the T4, but still a good buy for someone wanting a locking blade and drivers in a smaller package for $40. :dunno:

your right, I am super spoiled.  :facepalm: def worth at $40, but that T4... :drool: :drool:

BTW, any one have some calipers to measure the Thumb opening on the main blade? If we can get some accurate #s, ZapWizard can make some thumb tabs for it.

Cheers,
H.G.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: July 02, 2019, 06:51:56 PM
 :iagree:
That T4 looks to be a bonified winner for LM.  :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Wessaen

• Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
Reply #45 on: July 03, 2019, 01:36:17 AM

As I already have the T4 that I will be carrying for awhile I've made up my mind to save my amazon rewards bucks to buy a T2 for "free" in another month or two.

I really wish the T2 had scissors rather than the awl but oh well, can't have it all I guess. (Anyone want to nudge LM in the direction of a T3 model with scissors?  :pok: )

-Wes.
Work EDC: LM Raptor/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: July 03, 2019, 02:43:22 AM
That T4 looks to be a bonified winner for LM.  :)

More than any of the others for sure. I think the K series would have been amazing, but the pricing makes no sense.  :facepalm: :facepalm:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: July 03, 2019, 04:06:32 AM
More than any of the others for sure. I think the K series would have been amazing, but the pricing makes no sense.  :facepalm: :facepalm:
At $80-$90, LM is going to have a hard time moving them. :facepalm:

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: July 03, 2019, 05:23:48 PM
At $80-$90, LM is going to have a hard time moving them. :facepalm:

The T4 is the sweet spot imo. Its actually an incredibly clever tool with the stacked orientation, keeping it very thin while having quite a bit of tool thickness present. Double locking mechanisms with 2 magnet setups...come to think of it....I think we are getting a damn good deal considering the engineering that is going into this...some 1 pieces tools are twice as much as the T4.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: July 03, 2019, 06:04:57 PM
I hope to get my T4 this week, but the T2 is out for delivery. :woohoo:

Will do a little write up on the T2 if I can this evening since the T2 isn't as popular as the T4 and hasn't gotten much attention. :)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: July 04, 2019, 05:25:05 AM
Hopefully these out of order(thanks imgur) photos tell the story well enough. Quality is outstanding. Beautiful tool.
Any questions about the T2, please let me know. :)

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #51 on: July 05, 2019, 01:57:26 AM
 :drool:

Sweet pics GLBM :tu:.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: July 05, 2019, 02:04:38 AM
Thank you, T-G! :cheers:

• No Life Club

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #54 on: July 05, 2019, 05:10:59 AM
Great pics and thanks for taking those and doing all the measurements :like:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: July 05, 2019, 05:41:21 AM
 :cheers: and thanks for the nice comments, T-G-24, Happy G, and Poncho!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: July 10, 2019, 12:59:23 AM
The T4 arrived today. Pictured with the T2, P2, and P4.

With the second P4(user) in one of the LM drawers.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #57 on: July 10, 2019, 02:32:49 AM
They should have made that plastic Black, the grey is not so hot looking and might show marks easier over time.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: July 10, 2019, 02:49:25 AM
Then they couldn't milk money from the black-oxide versions of the P2/P4/T2/T4 later on. :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: July 10, 2019, 06:30:50 AM
Leatherman used a new dating system for the T2 and T4. It is a small circle with the year number in the center with an arrow between the two year numbers pointing at the month.

Pics:

T4: Each plastic cover has its' own date circle.

Engraved scale side "A". Date = 5-19.

Plain scale clip side  "B". Date = 4-19.

T2: There is only one plastic cover on the T2. It has the date circle in a very hard to read place. But, a little patience will help read it.
I couldn't picture it well enough to see in the photo, but it is 4-19.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%