Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What lurks in this knife drawer?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
What lurks in this knife drawer?
on: July 02, 2019, 05:22:07 PM
Ok...I haven't done one of these in ages. Thought it might be a bit fun to lurk into one of my collection drawers. Today, it is my small knife repository drawer that will be laid bare for your viewing pleasure.

Before we start, I must confess...I do not think of myself as much of a knife collector...which is an odd statement to be sure. See, I collect multi-tools, and because of their multi-functionality, I also like the Swiss Army stuff. This little drawer contains some of the folding knives I have accrued here and there over time. I think I have a little of everything in here...from the really cheap stuff to a few quality pieces.

Well onto the drawer...

As you can see, I am starting to do a second layer...which I do not want to do...so I haven't added anything to this knife drawer in some time now...having more knives in other drawers for the time being.

Not sure why I like 12 gauge knives, but I can't seem to not buy them whenever I see one I don't have.

A little Winchester money clip.

This one was bought for me from a good friend on a trip.

This terribly cheap knife has the stiffest springs I have ever seen. A true nail breaker. This necessitated making a second photo to show the tools in the spine...as I couldn't get them out along with the larger implements.

Not sure what this one is...but I like it. Got it from a forum member.

A Bear Hunter Operation Desert Storm.

A Case Fisherman?

This is a Gerber.

A Northwest Trail little pocket knife with clip.

A slightly large knife much like the one above.

A cheap Canada Victorinox Classic type knife.

This one is very cheap. I think I paid a whole dollar for this one in a hardware store.

Another Classic type knife of the super cheap kind.

This beautiful home made knife given to me by a forum member.

I will leave this one talk for itself.

This smallish Spyderco.

This one is a bit unique. a Smith & Wesson 12 Gauge knife with breech lock.

A 30-06 bullet knife.

A Stanley pocket knife.

A Northern Trail Tactical knife.

This neat Browning knife.

This Canadian Military navy knife.

A Camillus US military knife.

A Ritchartz Solingen knife.

A wine waiter.

A Ruko Elite pocket knife made in Japan.

This copy of a WW2 German Nazi paratrooper knife. I found the way it opened intriguing. Don't much care for the symbols of hatred this one has all over it though.

Another little cheap knife.

A rather old Niagra Falls advertiser.

I can't make the mark out all that well..but it seems to state: WILH.WAGNER Solingen. Nice horn scales.

A Ruko Swiss Champ Wannabe. I had to have this one once I saw it in a store. It does not even remotely compare to a real Victorinox.

This Colonial marked knife.

Another pocket clip knife.

Syracus Poland knife.

And another one.

And the last one.

An interesting lock back pocket knife.

A Western pocket knife.

A Ruko knife.

A companion knife that came with a newer Schrade Tough Tool Multi-tool.

And last but not least, a Kershaw knife.

:salute:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 05:28:18 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Re: What lurks in this knife drawer?
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 02:17:19 AM
Thanks for letting us peek into another one of your drawers! That Western lock back is a real beauty!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 02:32:54 AM
You are welcome.

That one was my Dad's knife.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 04:21:48 AM
Are any of the springs broke on your Metal Stampings Ltd. Canadian Navy Knife? On mine, the blade spring is broke (more like cracked, really) next to the second center pin. Luckily, I only paid just under $15 for it. It's a beast! I use it all the time to take out knots I can't get loose by hand.  It carries in a pocket surprisingly well for its huge size. One to look out for is the 1917 WWI Wostenholm Canadian issue British Navy Knife.  Now it's a work of art it's so well made.

I have the same shell knife (Antonini 1031) in green. My only complaint is that the plastic is a bit fragile. I try to avoid buying them in red or yellow seeing as that's the main colors of shells around the house.

The silver and red one that you have marked as unknown is well, unknown. I can tell you its Soviet, ca. 1960s however. The bottle opener/hooked thingy combo tool is a dead-giveaway that it's Soviet. The hooked thing was to open some kind of special bottle cap they had.

With the Case fishing knife--take those handles off as soon as possible!  They are celluloid and will outgas, and will corrode everything it's next too, all while ruining the knife. I learned the hard way once; in Granddad's collection with an old Boker that had celluloid handles.

First I've seen of that Gerber SAK clone. That saw looks quite good!

The handmade knife is a thing of beauty.

Spyderco Ladybugs are great knives. I need to pick up a straight-edged one. I only have the serrated hawkbill.

Winchester is neat--I have a thing for knives with unconventional opening/closing mechanisms.

I have a couple of those Demo knives--a 1970 Camillus (currently apart; it had a broken spring, so I took it apart) and a 1961 Imperial.

Those Syracuse Knife Works SAK clones are in great shape--and that's the first pouch I've seen wtih one.

The carabiner knife is weird--most of those I see are a linerlock not a lockback. Seems like it would be kinda awkward to use with  a lanyard attached.

The Western is a great knife. They engineered them well, and they are tough. Unfortunately, the lockbacks ain't cheap; but the Kershaws are. Those Black Horses show up under $20 quite regularly, and have been meaning to get one as a work knife.

I share your feelings on the knockoff German WWII knife. I don't buy replicas normally anyway--and there are tons of stupid looking knives out there with swastikas plastered all over them that never come even close to any thing actually used in WWII. A friend of mine has a whittler whoever sold him it fooled him into thinking it was a WWII German knife, and I later found it was a fake made in the 1970s.   Besides, I think the Mercator was the common German folding military knife, and those are common and inexpensive. Personally,  with WWII, I only buy Allied and, er, um Switzerland.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 06:48:26 AM
No...guess I am lucky. I have nothing with broken springs in the drawer.

I have both green and red shells mostly. I keep these far away from the real ammo. Mind you, I have never tried to load one. I did try with the 30-06 shell knife...and that one will fit a rifle.  :ahhh

That silver and red knife is a nice looker. I like the patterns on the handles. Making it Russian makes sense.

Good to know about the Case fishing knife.  :salute:

Yes, the Gerber sak clone is of excellent quality throughout.

I agree about the handmade knife.

Considering it is the only Spyderco knife I own, and I found this one at a local gun show, I just wished it was a bit bigger.

I wish Winchester didn't plaster their name on such cheap goods.

The US Demo Knife is my only copy.

Agreed about the pouch on the Syracuse. That was sent to me  by a forum member as well.

Yes, a bit surprised that the knife features a lanyard, seeing that you must press down the whole bar to lock/unlock the blade.

That Western was my Dad's daily user. The blade once had a beautiful quail design on it. The Kershaw Black Horse was my Dad's work knife. I haven't even bothered cleaning the handle because of that.

As for that knockoff German knife. I am not a fan of it mostly. I did buy it because I liked how it deployed. I just do not understand why they plastered it with swastikas. As far as it goes, I am happy it isn't real. I draw the line at buying things that may have harmed others...and that goes to my sword collection as well. On the plus side, I hardly paid anything for it.

:salute:

Offline Keyboardinator

Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 05:41:06 PM
That silver and red knife is certainly Soviet (AFAIK they stopped stamping the price on almost anything by 1990), but almost certainly manufactured later than the 1960s. The price is extremely high for the period. My guess is that it was a souvenir, and probably from some of the republics, rather than in Russia. I may be wrong, of course:)

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 01:30:38 AM
Nice assemblage from the vault! The,"WWII German paratrooper knife" is a total fantasy piece that was made in England in the 1960's and sold along with Wells Fargo Bowie knives and belt buckles.I forget the name of the company but they had an enormous catalog of items;most of which were fantasy.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%