Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox SwissTool Spirit - Pliers Tips Misalignment

Offline MrVic

Hey all,

I’ve just received a SwissTool Spirit and everything on it is perfect as you would expect from Victorinox, except for the tips of the pliers.

It may be a little OCD to question this, but I thought
I should, as you guys and gals on MTO have a crazy amount of knowledge.

The tips of the pliers, when closed, are very very slightly misaligned laterally. When closed the tips touch fully, but aren’t 100% aligned. It’s only a fraction of a millimetre, so it’s not really an issue, but I thought I’d check with you all if it’s normal, or if I should expect 100% flush alignment.

I don’t expect this to affect the use of the tool in any way. The handles are perfectly aligned, which I know is an issue for some of these Spirits. I guess I ask only because some of these Vic tools are works of art, and maybe I’ve come to expect a little too much art..

Any thoughts would be much appreciated  :multi:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 01:42:48 AM by MrVic »

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: Victorinox SwissTool Spirit - Pliers Tips Misalignment
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 01:57:57 AM
If we are talking fractions of a millimeter then mine is the same. It doesn't affect it any practical way, so I assume that is well within tolerance.

All manufactured products are off at some scale. There is never truly perfection, only degrees of closeness to perfect - and exponential costs to get ever closer. I assume Victorinox decided nobody would pay for non-important perfection, and so put down a tight and working tolerance instead.

That said some tools will be more off than others for a given feature - but with so many features on a multi-tool it is very unlikely to find a tool with near perfect measures all around on every feature.

Looking over some other multi-tools here they seem similar or worse. A Knipex flush electronics cutter is dang near perfect though. :tu: (Edit: I take that back - it is near perfect at one end but not the other - it seems it tapers somehow).

« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 02:03:30 AM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 02:27:49 AM
What Vidar says is true.
I spent more than a dozen years in manufacturing everything from wireing harnesses to PPE/rescue eqipment, much of that in quality control.  We always had a certain variance in size, dimensional shape and angle that was allowed and passable. These tolerance variations are noted at the bottom of every print.

For a usable tool I would say that is close to perfect. Anything more would probably have to be custom fit one at a time and cost several times as much.

Here is a look at how SAKs are made

« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 02:37:28 AM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

Offline MrVic

Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 03:34:59 PM
What Vidar says is true.
I spent more than a dozen years in manufacturing everything from wireing harnesses to PPE/rescue eqipment, much of that in quality control.  We always had a certain variance in size, dimensional shape and angle that was allowed and passable. These tolerance variations are noted at the bottom of every print.

For a usable tool I would say that is close to perfect. Anything more would probably have to be custom fit one at a time and cost several times as much.

If we are talking fractions of a millimeter then mine is the same. It doesn't affect it any practical way, so I assume that is well within tolerance.

All manufactured products are off at some scale. There is never truly perfection, only degrees of closeness to perfect - and exponential costs to get ever closer. I assume Victorinox decided nobody would pay for non-important perfection, and so put down a tight and working tolerance instead.

That said some tools will be more off than others for a given feature - but with so many features on a multi-tool it is very unlikely to find a tool with near perfect measures all around on every feature.

Looking over some other multi-tools here they seem similar or worse. A Knipex flush electronics cutter is dang near perfect though. :tu: (Edit: I take that back - it is near perfect at one end but not the other - it seems it tapers somehow).

Thanks Noa and Vidal, really appreciate your thoughts on that - especially in light of your experience  :salute:

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 07:46:14 PM
Cool video and thanks for sharing, Noa.

Offline MrVic

Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 09:15:16 AM
What Vidar says is true.

Thanks for the video link too! Really amazing to watch :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%