Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My latest Gerber, the CenterDrive.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
My latest Gerber, the CenterDrive.
on: July 04, 2019, 01:43:23 PM
I had been thinking about getting one for a long time, but at 140 Euro over here I thought it was too expensive, but then the local outdoor store had them at -30% discount and I was tempted, but still, didn't bite.

And when they got to -50% they were sold out very quick.  And I regretted not getting one until, a couple of days later, it popped up being available again, tried ordering two, but turned out they only had one left, proceeded to checkout and yes, it was mine  :D.

And the day before it was being delivered I checked the site again to track my package when I noticed it was in stock again, checked out to see which store had that one CD in stock, turned out it was the one closest to my home  :ahhh.

Picked up the phone, called the store and they told me it was a return from another costumer, but still completely unopened. Asked them to keep it aside for me, jumped in the car and arrived at the store 10 minutes later to pick up another perfect, unopened back up Gerber CD  :woohoo:.

So now I have a user and one to keep NIB for the collection, just the way I like it  8) (Sorry Nick, if I happen to find a third one I'll do all I can to get it for you, but I'm holding on to these two myself...  :-[).

And I must say... I'm impressed by the CD, it's one fine tool, and has a great fit and finish. My very limited experience with Gerber had me thinking they couldn't really compete with Victorinox or Leatherman when it came to fit and finish, but I'm happy to say I was wrong, this is one nice looking tool, and it feels great in hand, despite the weird looking shape of the handles with things sticking out on both sides, it's quite comfortable in my opinion.

The blades are not hair shaving sharp out of the box, but that can be fixed.  The awl on the other hand has to be the most pointy one I've ever seen on a multitool.  The pry bar looks and feels great.

And last but not least, that center bit driver...  :drool:

And the fact that it takes regular bits makes it one of the most versatile multitool drivers out there.  And I also like that you can store the extra bits in the sheath, great work Gerber  :tu:.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: My latest Gerber, the CenterDrive.
Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 03:21:49 PM
Well done, sir. Well done! :like:

€70 is a great price.  :o
It is always a bit disheartening to read about how much those tools cost outside or the US.  :ahhh
The Center-Drive was a fun tool to use, and during the CD challenge, it proved to be a good tool. :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 05:55:43 PM
Thanks GLBM  :salute:.

I like the CD a lot more than I thought I would, it's a well made tool and a very original concept, with the outside OHO long reach bit driver.  I really think Gerber should get more credit for this design.

And the sheath looks well made as well, I would've preferred a snap button closure (like on the new LM sheaths) instead of the velcro, but the velcro works just fine at the moment, and if in time it would start to wear, I could always put a snap button in it myself, easy fix  ;).

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 09:08:26 PM
 :cheers:

Gerber does have a well made leather sheath with snap, but it doesn't have a place for the bits. :facepalm:

https://www.gerbergear.com/Equipment/Sheaths/Center-Drive-Leather-Sheath_30-001603

So I guess with that sheath, you're limited to the bit in the driver and the one stowed bit. :-[
Looks like a nice sheath though. :)

Your snap addition is probably the best direction to take for the sheath though.  :like:

As soon as the list of rarities I'm after is checked off, the Center-Drive plus is on the radar. That one is still too expensive though, but does come with that leather sheath.  :dd:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 10:30:59 PM
Omfg :facepalm:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 11:07:49 PM

Gerber does have a well made leather sheath with snap, but it doesn't have a place for the bits. :facepalm:

https://www.gerbergear.com/Equipment/Sheaths/Center-Drive-Leather-Sheath_30-001603

So I guess with that sheath, you're limited to the bit in the driver and the one stowed bit. :-[

Your snap addition is probably the best direction to take for the sheath though.  :like:

As soon as the list of rarities I'm after is checked off, the Center-Drive plus is on the radar. That one is still too expensive though, but does come with that leather sheath.  :dd:
According to the page there, that sheath actually does have a place for the bit comb. If you look at the ad video for the CD+ you can see it in action. That sheath is probably my favorite thing about the CD+, as I'm not crazy about combo edge blades, and the stumpy-handled scissors look uncomfortable to me.

ETA: If that sheath is real leather, $23 is a pretty good price.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 11:11:01 PM

I'm really, really sorry mate, I really am...  :-[

The first time I saw the CD at -50% was during my lunch break at work, and by the time I got home they were all gone  :-\.

I got extremely lucky, not once, but twice. 

I mean having it pop up once was lucky, having one being returned to the shop closest to my home was so lucky it got creepy.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 11:47:23 PM
According to the page there, that sheath actually does have a place for the bit comb. If you look at the ad video for the CD+ you can see it in action. That sheath is probably my favorite thing about the CD+, as I'm not crazy about combo edge blades, and the stumpy-handled scissors look uncomfortable to me.

Seems I shouldn't post so hastily. :oops:

Thanks for the correction! This may be something I will be ordering for the CD. :like:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 11:52:00 PM

That leather sheath looks great, and it looks to be high quality also, and at a great price ... :drool:

But chances of finding it over here are slim, very slim ...  ::)

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 11:56:43 PM
And I stand corrected ...

Already found it on a Dutch site, and at 25,9 Euro the price is still very reasonable compared to the price in the U.S. ($23 versus 25,9 Euro is okay in my book  ;)).

And if I order two I get free shipping ... (but I should probably wait, since the tool budget is quite low at the moment  ::)).

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 12:08:36 AM

Just had a look at the CD+, and apart from the fact that it's way too expensive over here (169,9€), being all stainless it doesn't look half as nice as the regular Stainless/BO CD, and I don't care much for combo edge blades either, and the Gerber scissors are also not my favorite thing ...

And since I always pair my plier based tool with a SAK (mostly my Swisschamp), scissors (or better said, the lack of) is not an issue.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #11 on: July 05, 2019, 02:10:00 AM

I've been checking the link I have to the CD page on the AS site multiple times a day, ever since the second one popped up, hoping to see another one back in stock (since you can return for 30 days or so, in this store), but haven't had any luck so for. If I see one I'll order it right away (even if you decide you don't want it, I can still return it to the shop, or more likely, have a back up for my back up ...  ::)).

I've also been looking on the net and the cheapest one I found  (in Western Europe) was at 99,95€ on a Dutch site (I know it's the price that A.S. had them when they were at -30%, but now that I own one, I do believe the CD is worth it).

Again, I'm very sorry I couldn't get you one (still hoping to see one pop up again, but with every day that goes by I'm starting to loose hope).

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: July 05, 2019, 02:26:44 AM
And I stand corrected ...

Already found it on a Dutch site, and at 25,9 Euro the price is still very reasonable compared to the price in the U.S. ($23 versus 25,9 Euro is okay in my book  ;)).

And if I order two I get free shipping ... (but I should probably wait, since the tool budget is quite low at the moment  ::)).
Wow. That is a good price! That is one of those things I would have presumed to be way more expensive outside of North America(accessories seem to be priced as if they are made of gold sometimes haha). Good one on Gerber for that. :)

Good points on the Plus version, T-G!
It doesn't get my salivating like the original CD did when it came out. So I'm kind of looking at it in the same way. I'm not even that big of a fan of the BO only for the CD(even though I sometimes like the more serious appearance of BO on certain tools).
When the OG CD came out, I thought it was the coolest looking tool Gerber ever made. Still think that.
But, we both know the CD+ will end up in the collection, because MT collecting is a lifestyle. And, I would like to try out the silly looking scissors in person....well....that is one excuse. :rofl:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #13 on: July 06, 2019, 11:47:18 PM
So much for waiting...

This is one fine sheath, very well made, real thick leather.  And for 25,9€, these are very well priced for a U.S. made sheath. The "made in China" leather sheath for the Wave costs 27,95€ around here.

Compared to this the "new" leather box sheath that comes with the Leatherman Heritage PST feels like it's made from cardboard...

And it will also hold the MP600  :tu:.

And anybody who knows me will also know what's next...  ::)

Show content

Once again I bought the entire stock  :facepalm:

By the way, there's a nice difference in colour as you can see.  These are awesome sheaths.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #14 on: July 07, 2019, 12:47:03 AM
 Those are some great pics, TG24. Well done  :cheers:

That sheath looks really sweet up close too. Some nice, heavy looking leather there.

The "made in China" leather sheath for the Wave costs 27,95€ around here.

Yeesh... You could almost get a Skinth for that.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #15 on: July 07, 2019, 12:58:13 AM
Those are some great pics, TG24. Well done  :cheers:

That sheath looks really sweet up close too. Some nice, heavy looking leather there.

Yeesh... You could almost get a Skinth for that.

Thanks mate  :salute:.

It looks just as nice in real life as it does in the pics  :tu:.

It did say on the site that it will hold the MP600 as well, but I just checked and I guess it will only hold the blunt nose version, because the needle nose ones I own don't fit  :-\.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: July 07, 2019, 10:16:08 AM
Damnit, T-G. Those are some gorgeous sheaths! :o :drool: :dd:

So, your sheath post pushed me over the edge. :D :salute:
Instead of looking for an MP400 Fisherman, I ordered the Center-Drive Plus w/ Leather sheath this week. The sheath looks like a $70 leather craft sheath, so I feel like I only paid $60 for the CD+..  :whistle:
Should arrive Tuesday. :woohoo:

us Offline JonesE

Reply #17 on: July 09, 2019, 06:27:56 AM
Wow, that really is a great looking sheath for the Center Drive. This is definitely now on my list. I will be picking up one of these as soon as funds allow. Thanks for sharing T-G.

By the way congrats to you T-G and gerleatherberman on getting the CenterDrive. It truly is a good multi tool. I really enjoy caring and using mine.

JonesE

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD