Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Man on the Moon LE

Reinier · 197 · 10462

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Re: Man on the Moon LE
Reply #150 on: August 08, 2019, 06:45:42 AM
:cheers:

I still have CeHo's MOTM, but haven't opened the shipping carton. I'm assuming it is close to the one I have, but we'll find out when CeHo gets it. :ahhh

:cheers: I'd assume the same unless he says otherwise! 

Now, would you have looked if yours was #1,968?  :D
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #151 on: August 08, 2019, 08:07:09 AM
:cheers: I'd assume the same unless he says otherwise! 

Now, would you have looked if yours was #1,968?  :D

It would have certainly led to a question to check and see, respecting an answer either way.
It helps I have never been strongly motivated by money or prestige, to my own detriment many times.   :rofl:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #152 on: August 08, 2019, 06:12:47 PM

It would have certainly led to a question to check and see, respecting an answer either way.
It helps I have never been strongly motivated by money or prestige, to my own detriment many times.   :rofl:

Then you are a better man than I!  :hatsoff:

Only a sense of honor would compel me to leave it be.  I've been strongly motivated by money...used to care about prestige. Perhaps just less so now.

19 of these sold on * bay so far...so just less than 1%.  I wonder when the scalper/speculator copies will run out.

Not liking the wear that's visible on the backside of the small blade. Makes light contact with the main blade when opening and it put in some fine arced swipe marks.  :P
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #153 on: August 08, 2019, 06:52:29 PM

You are the best  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #154 on: August 08, 2019, 08:50:09 PM
Then you are a better man than I!  :hatsoff:

Only a sense of honor would compel me to leave it be.  I've been strongly motivated by money...used to care about prestige. Perhaps just less so now.

19 of these sold on * bay so far...so just less than 1%.  I wonder when the scalper/speculator copies will run out.

Not liking the wear that's visible on the backside of the small blade. Makes light contact with the main blade when opening and it put in some fine arced swipe marks.  :P
I'm sure given the actual choice, you'd do it right.  :cheers:

I'm also curious to know how many are left with the scalpers.  :think:
The three per customer thing really did set up a precarious situation for actual collectors who missed out on the selling. :ahhh

You are the best  :tu:
Thank you much for the kind words, CeHo! :cheers:
Feeling it mutual. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #155 on: August 11, 2019, 06:52:40 AM
I'm sure given the actual choice, you'd do it right.  :cheers:
:cheers: Yeah, in reality I'd make sure whatever was going to happen would be agreed to in advance by both parties.  :tu:

I'm also curious to know how many are left with the scalpers.  :think:
The three per customer thing really did set up a precarious situation for actual collectors who missed out on the selling. :ahhh
Yeah, I wonder how many are waiting out there.

Looks like #1,002 came to the States.

Went for 'only' $165.  Not sure if that was a BIN price or maybe a short duration auction. Didn't notice it earlier. 

Only one more for sale on *bay right now in the US, and 5 globally.

Outside of the US, looks like they've *all* sold at over $300 USD shipped. Crazy.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #156 on: August 13, 2019, 07:43:05 AM
Looks like #634 and #359 (sold) originally stayed in Switzerland.

14 sold from the US so far and 22 globally from * bay.

Gotta wonder where #1,969 is!  :ahhh

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #157 on: August 13, 2019, 11:43:56 AM
Interesting question, Kamakiri - I should imagine #1969 stayed in the factory! #1537 came to the UK - when the e-mail arrived on Saturday, I tried the link, and as many here have reported, it didn’t work, so I tried again early on Sunday morning and had success (6a.m.) - I tried again 30 mins later, and they were sold out, so I was very lucky.... :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #158 on: August 13, 2019, 11:49:38 AM
I'd love to put those scales on my early 80s Master Craftsman!
Barry

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #159 on: August 13, 2019, 11:59:02 AM
Now there’s an idea!!  :like: sadly, I’m sure I’d botch it up and have snapped scales, scratched tools etc!! Pity Victorinox didn’t go for a PS master craftsman/astronaut with special scales.... :drool:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #160 on: August 13, 2019, 12:02:57 PM
 :iagree: :tu:
Barry

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #161 on: August 13, 2019, 06:42:36 PM
Wouldn't be an expensive set of scales at all.  :whistle:

Would look good though! Have you looked into the SwissKnifeShop MOTM Tinker scales?

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #162 on: August 13, 2019, 07:38:04 PM
Interesting question, Kamakiri - I should imagine #1969 stayed in the factory! #1537 came to the UK - when the e-mail arrived on Saturday, I tried the link, and as many here have reported, it didn’t work, so I tried again early on Sunday morning and had success (6a.m.) - I tried again 30 mins later, and they were sold out, so I was very lucky.... :cheers:
That would make too much sense for them to keep it!  Does anyone know if that's typical for Victorinox?  I'd like to think it went to some really lucky Smurf!

:cheers: And thanks for the number info!  I'm hoping that later placed orders have a better chance at higher numbers.

Yeah great idea!
Now there’s an idea!!  :like: sadly, I’m sure I’d botch it up and have snapped scales, scratched tools etc!! Pity Victorinox didn’t go for a PS master craftsman/astronaut with special scales.... :drool:
Hrm...I do have a lightly used one...and am pretty good at removing scales...  :ahhh

Wouldn't be an expensive set of scales at all.  :whistle:

Would look good though! Have you looked into the SwissKnifeShop MOTM Tinker scales?

:iagree: Still a spendy mod to go that way!  And I wouldn't want to get just one... :think:

Maybe, just maybe, if Vic makes some of the other tools needed in the PS finish.  :ahhh

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #163 on: August 13, 2019, 09:13:53 PM
I haven't Gman, but I'm going to!
Barry

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #164 on: August 14, 2019, 05:05:17 AM
 :like: :cheers:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #165 on: November 07, 2019, 04:51:20 AM
39 sold so far on *bay worldwide.  Scalper inventory appears to be out in the states and the handful available elsewhere are listed in the $500-$750 range USD.  Crazy.

Aside from #100 (which sold for a best offer under $500) and the one that was pre-sold for $440, looks like the practical high range for these is about $250 in the states and about $350 elsewhere.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #166 on: November 07, 2019, 05:46:07 AM
Oh boy,  :facepalm:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #167 on: November 08, 2019, 04:36:42 PM
Another one of these sold. This time for $569.

Another one sold NIB recently for $699.

One before that was $550.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #168 on: November 08, 2019, 05:03:21 PM
 :facepalm:
Next thing you know it will be hitting the Black Beauty $$$

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #169 on: November 08, 2019, 07:25:45 PM
I watched that one go today and could not believe my eyes.  No box or manual, no other provenance, no nuthin'.   I guess I will never own since their values have gotten so crazy outta hand.   

And to think I had the opportunity to buy one brand new at a Cutlery World store back in 1989 but couldn't justify the price tag then, when I was a starving graduate student living on loans... :facepalm:

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #170 on: November 11, 2019, 03:46:57 PM
Now this is bananas.  Anyone who missed out on the MOTM now has an opportunity to buy 15 of them for only $10k.  I mean, that's only $667 apiece.  Who wouldn't do this?

Same seller has a Fischer Pioneer listed for $2k.  Also nuts but I'd sooner buy that than 15 double-priced MOTM's. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Victorinox-Limited-Edition-Man-on-the-Moon-2019-very-Rare-Swiss-Army-knife/113960228669?hash=item1a888f173d:g:0ZkAAOSwM~ddyD4z

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #171 on: November 11, 2019, 05:59:18 PM

It has gotten out of control with the 20th Anniversary copies! They weren't even on my radar in '89.  There's no way I would have spent a week's pay on something like that!

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #172 on: November 12, 2019, 02:35:26 AM

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #173 on: November 12, 2019, 03:44:06 AM
Any guesses how high this one will go?

I don't think it will tap $400. Mostly considering how many sold recently. $300 ish?
s-l1600-4216.jpg
* s-l1600-4216.jpg (Filesize: 128.18 KB)
s-l1600-4215.jpg
* s-l1600-4215.jpg (Filesize: 72.2 KB)

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #174 on: November 12, 2019, 04:03:31 AM
That is a nice anniversary model!  :like: :cheers:

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #175 on: January 12, 2020, 12:17:17 AM
I found another special edition:

https://www.schweizermesser-shop.de/victorinox-deluxe-tinker-lunar

Looks cool...

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #176 on: January 12, 2020, 01:35:21 AM
Nice - like the surface on the scales  :cheers:

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #177 on: January 12, 2020, 09:22:09 AM

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #178 on: January 12, 2020, 10:33:32 AM
I found another special edition:

https://www.schweizermesser-shop.de/victorinox-deluxe-tinker-lunar

Looks cool...

Originally, this shop offered three SAKs with those scales, Super Tinker, Huntsman and Deluxe Tinker. The first two, which were cheaper obviously, sold out faster. Being still in my compulsive phase, I had to amass them all  :facepalm: Can confirm the scales are VERY nice. The moon surface is not printed, but apparently laser engraved, so the scales feel like very fine sandpaper. Swell.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #179 on: January 12, 2020, 02:38:08 PM
Originally, this shop offered three SAKs with those scales, Super Tinker, Huntsman and Deluxe Tinker. The first two, which were cheaper obviously, sold out faster. Being still in my compulsive phase, I had to amass them all  :facepalm: Can confirm the scales are VERY nice. The moon surface is not printed, but apparently laser engraved, so the scales feel like very fine sandpaper. Swell.
What...laser engraved...I didn’t know that. I have only seen photos, so it looked like a photo/printed. Enjoy  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%