Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Man on the Moon LE

Reinier · 197 · 10168

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Man on the Moon LE
Reply #90 on: July 23, 2019, 03:05:22 PM
The blade etching is worth the price of the knife alone.  The part that gets me is how I missed them when they came out in '89.. :facepalm:
Barry

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #91 on: July 24, 2019, 06:50:20 PM
"Wednesday , 7/24/2019 8:38 am, On FedEx vehicle for delivery"

Damn. Like a smurfin' kid on Xmas.   :ahhh

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #92 on: July 25, 2019, 12:33:58 AM
*whew* Just got home before FedEx stopped by.

man on the moon unboxed.jpeg
* man on the moon unboxed.jpeg (Filesize: 391.6 KB)
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #93 on: July 25, 2019, 02:43:55 AM
Nice!!
Barry

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #94 on: July 25, 2019, 02:54:01 AM
Mine and CeHo's MOTM SAKs came today. Pics coming later. :woohoo:

Gotta get CeHo's headed to Germany soon.  :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #95 on: July 25, 2019, 04:02:30 AM
Some pics.  :woohoo:

With the SKS Exclusive. :)

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #96 on: July 25, 2019, 04:14:13 AM
Nice pair GLBM!  :tu:  Thanks for the pics. Now I see how the two front scales look together.

Might need to reconsider one or more of those too... :think:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #97 on: July 25, 2019, 04:26:52 AM
Glad I got one to carry. Wiped the excess oil after I unboxed it and straight into the change pocket.  #1,19X for this one.  Maybe I shoulda ordered later. :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #98 on: July 25, 2019, 04:33:47 AM
Nice pair GLBM!  :tu:  Thanks for the pics. Now I see how the two front scales look together.

Might need to reconsider one or more of those too... :think:
The SKS is striking. I think it is a little bit better graphic for the scales than the official Vic version. But, that said, having the official Vic version makes the SKS feel more legit. :D

Glad I got one to carry. Wiped the excess oil after I unboxed it and straight into the change pocket.  #1,19X for this one.  Maybe I shoulda ordered later. :D

(Image removed from quote.)
Very cool you got one to carry! :like:

My money has been slim lately, so I didn't split for a user. Hope the graphics hold up for you! It is definitely a beautiful piece. :climber:

The Vic scale graphics feel tougher than the SKS version scales. In fact, I wouldn't even keep the SKS version in the box, because the scale finish feels a tiny bit "tacky" to the touch, so I am leaving it out for a few weeks on a piece of paper(and flipping it over periodically). :ahhh

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #99 on: July 25, 2019, 05:18:13 AM
The SKS is striking. I think it is a little bit better graphic for the scales than the official Vic version. But, that said, having the official Vic version makes the SKS feel more legit. :D
Very cool you got one to carry! :like:

My money has been slim lately, so I didn't split for a user. Hope the graphics hold up for you! It is definitely a beautiful piece. :climber:

The Vic scale graphics feel tougher than the SKS version scales. In fact, I wouldn't even keep the SKS version in the box, because the scale finish feels a tiny bit "tacky" to the touch, so I am leaving it out for a few weeks on a piece of paper(and flipping it over periodically). :ahhh

Thanks for your thoughts on the SKS  :tu:...your pictures make me think the same. And thanks for the tip on the finish...I'd do the same if I get one.

I did splurge on the user since I was curious about the PS and I think I'd have regretted only getting a shelf copy when a user PS Spartan cost almost as much.  I've carried the clear-coated type print (not even sure of the process name, but different from the older non-clear printing)...they seem to hold up pretty well and tolerate a bit of polishing. I have bought used knives for parts where the coating was chipped and failing...seems almost/about as thick as automotive clear.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #100 on: July 25, 2019, 05:53:49 AM
Thank you for the info, kamakiri! :cheers:

It is satisfying to know at least one of the MOTM LE SAKs is going to voyage out into the unknown(via a pocket). :like:

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #102 on: July 25, 2019, 02:26:01 PM
I guess the complete set of Apollo 11 50th Anniversary SAKs would also have to include the Swiza.  Anybody pick up one of these?

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #103 on: July 25, 2019, 09:58:19 PM
I guess the complete set of Apollo 11 50th Anniversary SAKs would also have to include the Swiza.  Anybody pick up one of these?

Not me, but I'd go with the black tools, even though I'd prefer the phillips and openers:

Too bad the D04 isn't finished in black.

And there's the SD for the 58mm fans:

Thank you for the info, kamakiri! :cheers:

It is satisfying to know at least one of the MOTM LE SAKs is going to voyage out into the unknown(via a pocket). :like:

:cheers:

Only mail call duty today. Cut a few boxes yesterday for recycling.

What's crazy is the copy FB posted earlier actually sold:

MOTM LE 1st 2 sold on *bay.jpg
* MOTM LE 1st 2 sold on *bay.jpg (Filesize: 87.92 KB)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #104 on: July 25, 2019, 09:59:09 PM
:facepalm:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #105 on: July 25, 2019, 10:09:44 PM
:facepalm:
"Buy now or regret later"

I *almost* feel sorry for the buyer. Almost.

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: July 25, 2019, 10:32:38 PM

Hey,

I have the complete Swiza-set inclusive the number 2/100 of a special model limited to 100 pieces. Maybe I can show some pics in the next weeks  :cheers:

They are real beauties.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #107 on: July 25, 2019, 10:32:57 PM
Ah yes, my signature usually gets attention when the damage is done :D

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #108 on: July 25, 2019, 10:37:26 PM
Normally you can expect those prices after a couple of years. This time it’s happening really quick. Some peope really wanted it and missed it due to the issues with the Victorinox website.

But apart from those website issues Victorinox is also to blame for these insane quick price raise, allowing 3 of these to be ordered per person. I think that’s just an inapprehensible and unfair decision to collectors  :dunno:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #109 on: July 25, 2019, 10:50:01 PM
Ah yes, my signature usually gets attention when the damage is done :D

Yeah...caught my attention even when I was lurking since 2016.  Every time I read it, I'd think, "Yup."  :D

Normally you can expect those prices after a couple of years. This time it’s happening really quick. Some peope really wanted it and missed it due to the issues with the Victorinox website.

But apart from those website issues Victorinox is also to blame for these insane quick price raise, allowing 3 of these to be ordered per person. I think that’s just an inapprehensible and unfair decision to collectors  :dunno:
I'm new to new purchases and the LE releases in general...is 1 per buyer the norm?

Maybe it was an experiment to go to 3 per?

Hey,

I have the complete Swiza-set inclusive the number 2/100 of a special model limited to 100 pieces. Maybe I can show some pics in the next weeks  :cheers:

They are real beauties.

Cool!  Looking forward to the pics. Glad you have the Vic one inbound already.  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #110 on: July 25, 2019, 10:54:39 PM
As I said before, those scalpers are scumbags.  :rant:

But, that said, nobody should ever let their obsession lead them to pay 4X+ for a knife the same week it was officially sold. That just keeps scalpers doing what they do.

scotland Offline VictorinoxEDC

• Scotland, UK
Reply #111 on: July 26, 2019, 07:52:36 AM
I really wanted one of these, but as mentioned above, the UK site was down... Despite me trying for almost two hours, I just couldn't get on to purchase one.

If anyone wishes to relieve themselves of theirs at a reasonable price, please just me know. Thanks

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #112 on: July 26, 2019, 04:08:36 PM
I really wanted one of these, but as mentioned above, the UK site was down... Despite me trying for almost two hours, I just couldn't get on to purchase one.

If anyone wishes to relieve themselves of theirs at a reasonable price, please just me know. Thanks

You can have mine if you’re still looking.  I like it but don’t need another SAK.  :)

Looks like you’re in Scotland. Send me a PM or email and we’ll go from there. 

Myron

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #113 on: July 26, 2019, 06:21:47 PM
Do you have more than one, Myron? :pok:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #114 on: July 26, 2019, 07:44:02 PM
Do you have more than one, Myron? :pok:

Haha, no, just the one unfortunately.  :)

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #115 on: July 26, 2019, 08:31:50 PM
I noticed some tiny silver spots on the liners on my user copy when I unboxed it. Seems like there are a few more now, and I have to question the durability there. Rest of the knife has been fine with light use and pocket carry.  Still lots of oil coming out of the joints.

I bought this one to use it and I like the PS coating so far, but not a fan of whatever was used for the black liners.

One sold this morning at $200 +$7.88 shipping. Looks like he has one more BIN.  Same seller that did not get any bids at $275 and had a BIN price of $357.50...that auction ended last night.

Deleted the picture with the sleeve upside down from the new listing.  :facepalm:
MOTM sold 190726.jpg
* MOTM sold 190726.jpg (Filesize: 119.7 KB)

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #116 on: July 26, 2019, 08:55:04 PM
About 3 per person and about the model choice, I've heard from a friend who spoke directly with someone at Vic that:
- the craftsman officially became the cosmonaut's knife in the 80s. SAKs were used before that but not specifically this model and not officially.
- the black finish is expensive and using a thicker knife would've made it too expensive. Why "too" expensive? Because they wanted to make a "popular" realease... Just like the event was a popular event.
- the 3 per person choice was so that people could share it; because people who witnessed the event all have a story about what they were doing at the time, who they were with etc. and have shared that story just like Vic wanted this knife to be shared.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #117 on: July 26, 2019, 08:58:16 PM
Sure. Shared at price x2 within a week.
Thank you Victorinox ::)

I feel as if they really dropped the ball here this time.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #118 on: July 26, 2019, 09:41:09 PM
About 3 per person and about the model choice, I've heard from a friend who spoke directly with someone at Vic that:
- the craftsman officially became the cosmonaut's knife in the 80s. SAKs were used before that but not specifically this model and not officially.
- the black finish is expensive and using a thicker knife would've made it too expensive. Why "too" expensive? Because they wanted to make a "popular" realease... Just like the event was a popular event.
- the 3 per person choice was so that people could share it; because people who witnessed the event all have a story about what they were doing at the time, who they were with etc. and have shared that story just like Vic wanted this knife to be shared.

Thanks for the insight Syem!  :tu:  Good to know the reasoning behind the move.

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #119 on: July 26, 2019, 09:51:32 PM
Sure. Shared at price x2 within a week.
Thank you Victorinox ::)

I feel as if they really dropped the ball here this time.

More like x3 or x4 ;)

These are sold listings (sorry for the Dutch, my ebay app is on Dutch language)
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24