Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kind of an odd one here

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Kind of an odd one here
on: July 07, 2019, 10:35:57 PM
Just happened by a flea market today. Paid $7 USD.

5 layer 91mm Camping red cellidor scales. Upside down V symbol for camping, whether that's meant as a teepee or front view of a pup tent...

It appears to be a Ranger, however it has no chisel. The "Fine Screwdriver" on the backside is of a "humpbacked" type that SAK wiki says came into play in 2008. It is the back tool of the metal/ nail file

Also, while the screwdriver/bottle opener does have a half-stop, the corkscrew is flouted.

Threadhole in the awl

Shim keyring holder at the side of the knife layer, as opposed to filling a layer

Screwed scissors without spring groove. No parcel hook with the scissors layer

Tang stamp regular size V, 4 lines victorinox, Switzerland, stainless, rostfrei.

Back tang" officer suisse ". Cross touched bowstring, crossbow touches top of letter C in officier.

Is it an old Ranger?

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Re: Kind of an odd one here
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 10:38:32 PM
This thing was full of grime and crud. Filled the nail knocks and on the tools, some in the layers.

Gave it a rudimentary cleaning. Soaked it in very hot water with dish detergent. Scrubbed with a toothbrush. Bunch of opening and closing. Air and towel dried.

Looks a lot better

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 10:39:15 PM
It sure sounds like it.  My Swisschamp is a strange combination of parts, new and old. 
Barry

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 10:54:56 PM
Thanks Barry. Hope you had a nice 4th.

I'll message you over some pics so you can see what I mean. I'm having trouble posting properly sized pics with this budget phone

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 10:57:40 PM
 :worthless:

But that does sound like an interesting find!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 10:59:31 PM
Sorry Nix. Galaxy Star J7 I evidently the redheaded step-child of Samsung's cellphone portfolio

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 11:01:22 PM
I had kind of thought  Handyman, but the long flathead would have to be a layer tool, right? Besides, it seems Handyman has no small blade and this one does.

So I settled on Ranger. It it the closes of the 5 layer tools listed in SAKwiki

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 04:36:11 AM
Sounds like a c.'85 copy.  Chisels were the last of the c. '85 tools to be added and may be as late as early '86.

The bevel on the awl will be toward the pivot end of the eyelet and not toward the tip side like it would be on any big V tang.

Liners are still all anodized and one of the liners should be a thick 1mm type between the saws.

Scales should be date stamped on the inner sides if you want to verify.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 05:35:34 AM
Thanks kamakiri, for all of these points

I'm not sure I know what you mean about the awl bevel. I have a big V Super Tinker and the awl looks very similar. Only this Rangers bevel reaches the eyelet.

Not sure I can tell the liners are anodized. They look similar to my big V Super Tinker. But the liner separating the saws is tall and very nearly the same height as the wood saw.

Bought the Super Tinker in '88, so maybe it is so close in age that the differences are not glaring.

I'm not willing to take the scales off as I never seem to get that right. They never go back on as well for me.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 06:30:18 PM
You are most welcome, TB! 

But...

:pok:

So I think this should help.  Arrows point to the location of the bevel:

And I'd never recommend for someone to pull the scales...just know it's an option for a chronology tool.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 12:09:17 AM
Amazing the details that one can easily overlook!

So this Camping Ranger  has the eye, but the bevel is indeed way back close to the pivot as in the 1986 version

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 12:26:39 AM
This got me looking at all of my 91mm Vics. I do happen to have an old Champion C, pretty old...

There is no eye, and there appears to be no bevel near the pivot at all, though there seems to be one at the last couple mm near the point. Does that seem right?

Anyway, thanks for the info. Helping to dial in all of the years of my 91mm's

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 12:37:21 AM
Amazing the details that one can easily overlook!

So this Camping Ranger  has the eye, but the bevel is indeed way back close to the pivot as in the 1986 version

Devil is in the details!  I looked at everything I could think of when 'cracking' the dates in the '70s.

I guess the Chisel may be more toward/into '86 than I thought, and perhaps the big V is also a bit earlier than I thought. I have a Ranger that is like yours, but with the Chisel.  I have a Champ that has the Chisel and Small 'v' which I took the scales off of...and it had both '85 (10) and '86 (6.) scales.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 12:42:44 AM
This got me looking at all of my 91mm Vics. I do happen to have an old Champion C, pretty old...

There is no eye, and there appears to be no bevel near the pivot at all, though there seems to be one at the last couple mm near the point. Does that seem right?

Anyway, thanks for the info. Helping to dial in all of the years of my 91mm's

I'd call that a ground or machined tip on the awl. Generally, means it's from the '70s.  Show me pics and I can date it for sure.  If you want to make it fun, start with just one pic of the 'bottom' (awl side) with all the tools *closed*.  Post a pic of the top closed later, after I've guessed a date or date range.  I'll ask for specific follow-up pics if I need to dial it down to a specific year.

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #14 on: July 10, 2019, 03:01:06 AM
You are most welcome, TB! 

But...

:pok:

So I think this should help.  Arrows point to the location of the bevel:

(Image removed from quote.)

And I'd never recommend for someone to pull the scales...just know it's an option for a chronology tool.

Check out this awl. I may have the only one of its kind. I have no idea how this one got through quality control.   :rofl:

--
'Buzz

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 07:34:58 AM
I've never seen anything like that Buzz :dunno:
Barry

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 10, 2019, 08:05:17 AM
Check out this awl. I may have the only one of its kind. I have no idea how this one got through quality control.   :rofl:

LOL. That's a keeper! I have one that wasn't machined for the final steps. So no edge, or tip was ground. Just the 'scalloped' area. It's on a keyring 246fmaU in a box. So I know a few duds made it through QC!  :rofl:

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 10:10:15 AM

Strange but  :like: :like: :like:
The Vikings say "when your battle axe is to short do one step forward"

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 10, 2019, 03:48:16 PM
Wow. That's a Monday morning bit of machine work!

Cant post pics with this budget phone. They seem to have a fixed size only, which is too big. But the pics here and descriptions have been helpful. I will post once I upgrade my phone

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 11, 2019, 02:29:59 AM

Wow - What a find

And also weird as the factory is all automated - So how did that happen?

PS. Always assumed the image was a tent - You know .... Camping!!   ;)

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 11, 2019, 06:57:33 AM
Wow - What a find

And also weird as the factory is all automated - So how did that happen?

PS. Always assumed the image was a tent - You know .... Camping!!   ;)

My guess is that a feed mechanism jammed and held it crooked to the grinding wheel. When it was found or unjammed the awl still fell in the finished tool bin.

I always thought tee pee for the logo, since it's from at least a 60's design.

Wow. That's a Monday morning bit of machine work!

Cant post pics with this budget phone. They seem to have a fixed size only, which is too big. But the pics here and descriptions have been helpful. I will post once I upgrade my phone

I'd try emailing them to yourself, if there's an option to re-size...or have them hosted somewhere free. Something like flickr or 500px are free with limitations on number of uploads.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%