Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A more serious discussion.

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
A more serious discussion.
on: July 12, 2019, 12:31:28 AM
It is certainly possible that this has been answered before, but why does Multitool.org have no social media presence?

I'm referring to instagram/pinterest/youtube/etc etc. Today these are crucial avenues of attracting attention that can result in more income from the site. God knows we have more than enough experience and resources. Is there just no interest? People spend hours on instagram and pinterest looking for information. I've spent a good amount of time myself searching forums here for information, screenshots, and instructions on all kinds of mods. Yet I keep getting introduced to new ones by older members that were present when the mods were done. Unless I know what I am looking for there is no repository of information. Basically what we have atm at MT.org is:

tons and tons of valuable info with no easy way to find what you are looking for. Yes, you can do a search in a forum but I've tried it...very few people will have the kind of patience I have to sift through thousands (yes thousands) of posts containing a set of search terms.

How about a pinterest page sponsored by MT.org that looks something like this:

https://cms.qz.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/desk-and-sleeper-e1475843931764.jpeg?quality=75&strip=all&w=1600&h=900&crop=1

within just a few moments of searching though these images someone might find the mod they are looking for then get redirected to MT.org to learn about it.

Heck we could post literally a hundred MT images every day if we wanted to with all the picture threads we have..

so...why?

Cheers,
H.G.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: A more serious discussion.
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 12:46:13 AM
Well, I guess I'm becoming an old f*rt since I don't care for instagram and pinterest, same goes for Facebook, Twitter and Hashtagging ...  ::)

For me, the search itself is half the fun, going through heaps of old topics.  In real life, the same goes for the library.  I love to go through old books to find what I'm looking for, the smell and feel of old books and documents... And not to mention it makes you feel like an old school P.I., I'm quite sure instagram or pinterest will not give me the same amount of satisfaction.

Wait a minute ...  :think:

Oh no ...

I'm not becoming an old f*rt, I AM an old f*rt  :ahhh.

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 12:56:32 AM
Well, I guess I'm becoming an old f*rt since I don't care for instagram and pinterest, same goes for Facebook, Twitter and Hashtagging ...  ::)

For me, the search itself is half the fun, going through heaps of old topics.  In real life, the same goes for the library.  I love to go through old books to find what I'm looking for, the smell and feel of old books and documents... And not to mention it makes you feel like an old school P.I., I'm quite sure instagram or pinterest will not give me the same amount of satisfaction.

Wait a minute ...  :think:

Oh no ...

I'm not becoming an old f*rt, I AM an old f*rt  :ahhh.

AGREED, to that last ......... :rofl:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 12:57:59 AM
I guess we'll have to wait for Boss to chime in but for me,  :iagree:

I have no online presence other than my here at MTo.  No FB, no nothing and not interested.  I don't get it actually but that may be because I also don't care about those online sources.  The wealth of info here has been more than enough to keep me coming back again and again. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 01:05:25 AM
I guess we'll have to wait for Boss to chime in but for me,  :iagree:

I have no online presence other than my here at MTo.  No FB, no nothing and not interested.  I don't get it actually but that may be because I also don't care about those online sources.  The wealth of info here has been more than enough to keep me coming back again and again.

:iagree:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 01:10:01 AM

We are on Facebook even that I think takes away from The MTO experience  ;)

us Online cody6268

Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 01:26:41 AM
I'm a 22 year old. I didn't know Facebook even existed until into my teens; and really didn't really understand it that much until 3-4 years ago. Let's just put it at that.  And l'm not even talking about all the heaps of trouble Facebook is in with the federal government right now. Or the fact that most social media agencies utilize such heavy censorship; what they do is technically violating the First Amendment.

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 01:38:43 AM
I think social media is out for MTO.

That said I would like to see something similar to Grant's old 'multi-tool minute' YouTube series restart as a member collaboration.

We have an incredible amount of obscure and unique multi tools and knives available to us as a group and this form is generally the only place with information on a lot of it.
I've been kicking around doing something similar on my own for a long time, but will probably never follow through. And this right here highlights why social media for MTO is a bad idea...
It's a lot of work to maintain; Grant and the mods already run this excellent forum for us. And the best part is since Grant owns the forum servers we aren't beholden to anybody else.
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 01:59:21 AM
What I observer is that MT.org is a massive wealth of information that really isn't very visible. I wasn't suggesting facebook exactly because facebook doesn't redirect back to the source. Youtube, instagram, and especially Pinterest would be a great way to generate more traffic. More traffic means more money and more chance that this site stays up. The lifeblood of the internet is new blood. I am a scientist and have no trouble with research. However, I came across 2 mod projects by accident recently that are beyond anything I thought had been tried before. This got me frustrated with just how many gems we have hidden. Furthermore...think about how many times the same questions get asked over and over, or the same discussions over and over because the information is either difficult to find or spread across 10+ threads..

I've begun organizing the information that I am interested in using Pinterest, so I was just wondering why MT.org hasn't considered it.

cheers

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 02:04:53 AM
I think social media is out for MTO.

That said I would like to see something similar to Grant's old 'multi-tool minute' YouTube series restart as a member collaboration.

We have an incredible amount of obscure and unique multi tools and knives available to us as a group and this form is generally the only place with information on a lot of it.
I've been kicking around doing something similar on my own for a long time, but will probably never follow through. And this right here highlights why social media for MTO is a bad idea...
It's a lot of work to maintain; Grant and the mods already run this excellent forum for us. And the best part is since Grant owns the forum servers we aren't beholden to anybody else.

Its kind of strange how you admit that we have a lot of value and that in your own words have "the only place with information on a lot of it" yet you think its not worth the effort. If information is of value, and people want to find it, you can generate an advantage from managing and maintaining it. Something like a Pinterest page is minor upkeep at best. The task can be shared by multiple people (pinterest allows for collaborators).

I bring up Pinterest a lot because unlike other forms of social media, it always takes individuals back to the source of the information. Think of it kind of like a visual index for a forum. Wouldn't that be a great way to get people to come to Mt.org?

I think its great that people are willing to donate on a regular basis, but wouldn't it be worth considering ways to make the site pay for itself past small add revenues?

Before I found MT.org I struggled to even scratch the surface on some of the information found here. But even being here for months and making an effort to find and catalog the important stuff, there is still sooo much available.

Just look at the link I posted in the OP, how many of those MODs do you remember? Sometimes you have to see what is possible before you get interested in something in the first place.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 02:11:38 AM by Happy Gilmore »

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 03:31:46 AM
Couple of comments

1. Don't forget we do have our structured databases online ie
SAKWiki and the Multitool Wiki
Of course these systems are standard product orientated and don't contain the wealth of info in MTo

2. Google is a great tool to find out info / get answers about multi-tools - and whenever you look for something you normally end up in MTo
This is how and why I first came to MTo - I was googling stuff the whole time and the answer I was looking for was always in MTo
Now I am a member I search MTo sometimes - But google is often a better way to search.

I have dabbled with Facebook for SAKs - But it's not so easy (impossible) to use to find out stuff

So I find I don't need any of the other social media tools

Proviso - I am an old fart - So not so familiar with all the latest SM tools    :pok:    ;)

us Offline getahl

Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 04:02:55 AM
I've used social media in the past, up until 2012. I still technically have accounts on many of the platforms, but they aren't active. The most I'll do these days is surf around Instagram, but never post anything, communicate with anyone, follow anyone or be followed, or actually socialize. My kids and I get a kick out of the various filters on Snapchat. And everything else is completely inactive. 15 years ago, I was active on MySpace, and met my wife there. Mostly, though, I surf here and Bladeforums. I'll occasionally pop into THR once a year or two. I just don't get social media.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 04:24:42 AM
Start towards the back of each sub forum and start reading them all :D I have been here a long time and remember most of the things that have happened here over the years but also I have read an extreme amount of the forum as a whole :cheers: I have been stretched for time as of late because I use to be much more active than I have been lately :facepalm:

I have only used Pinterest for searching a few different ideas and after a bit of searching it is mostly just the same thing over and over :shrug:  I don't personally know anyone that maintains any info on there so I can't comment on how easy it is to maintain a Pinterest page but I don't know many that would be willing to volunteer for such a project :dunno: I have been a MTwiki editor in the past and put a good bit of time into it but we really don't have anyone actively editing there so instead of heading into a new direction,  we could possibly get some fresh faces helping in that :salute:

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 05:10:57 AM
MTO, the speakeasy of the multi tool community.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 05:18:02 AM
Best lawyer I ever knew used to spend time in the law library looking up his case law in the books while other students were at the computers searching by subject.

The difference was:

- they got the one thing they were looking for immediately and he got what he was looking for after a while, but learned a lot of extraneous info along the way.

He was unbeatable in court.

Same goes for social media vs this type of forum.

I second what was said about googling for multitool or SAK info and winding up here all the time, then finally becoming a member

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 05:54:01 AM
Expanding MTO into social media could dilute the existing multitool.org forums.  It is tough enough for me to keep up with postings here.

I am a member of another, unrelated organization.  Its main method of information sharing for years has been via a Yahoo discussion group.  The organization then decided to branch out and have a Facebook account and share part of another forum as well.  That made it difficult to stay active because it required looking in three different venues to keep up with developments.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Wessaen

• Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
Reply #16 on: July 12, 2019, 05:59:37 AM

I was a lurker here for years before I finally made an account and started supporting the forums.

I have no other social media outside of a Reddit account that is used for a mix of EDC and Warhammer 40K sub forums and is only browsed while on lunch break.

That is enough for me for focus/keep up on.

-Wes.
Work EDC: LM Raptor/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 12, 2019, 06:08:08 AM
Expanding MTO into social media could dilute the existing multitool.org forums.  It is tough enough for me to keep up with postings here.

I am a member of another, unrelated organization.  Its main method of information sharing for years has been via a Yahoo discussion group.  The organization then decided to branch out and have a Facebook account and share part of another forum as well.  That made it difficult to stay active because it required looking in three different venues to keep up with developments.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: July 12, 2019, 06:28:13 AM
Best lawyer I ever knew used to spend time in the law library looking up his case law in the books while other students were at the computers searching by subject.

The difference was:

- they got the one thing they were looking for immediately and he got what he was looking for after a while, but learned a lot of extraneous info along the way.

He was unbeatable in court.

Same goes for social media vs this type of forum.

I second what was said about googling for multitool or SAK info and winding up here all the time, then finally becoming a member

Good post.   :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #19 on: July 12, 2019, 06:42:33 AM
Lots of great points already written here.   :iagree:

My personal view is:

Message boards encourage equality, accountability, and interaction among users, while social media encourages likes, shares, followers, subscribers; and rates people accordingly while being fueled by corporate greed.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #20 on: July 12, 2019, 07:06:21 AM

Also, Huntsman put it well  :tu:

Despite being young, I fall into the old fart boat with social media, and I think MT.o does fine as it is

I like the similarity to a library and the community it has

Edit: spelling  :ahhh
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 07:23:40 AM by CallsignBadger »
~CsB

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #21 on: July 12, 2019, 07:19:28 AM
I first found MTO looking for reviews. I googled a tool I think, and it brought me here.
I do not remember how long after that I actually joined, but it was quick. And I am glad I did. :cheers:

I think the average person who is looking for information on the subject will first check Google, and probably end up here, or Youtube.
Youtube is massive when it comes to multi-tools. I do not have any experience with all that twitter, instagram, pinterest stuff. But if MTO was to be promoted to gain more attention and traffic, I'd suggest Youtube.

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #22 on: July 12, 2019, 07:24:20 AM
Well said  :cheers:  :like:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 12, 2019, 08:41:28 AM

Funny enough facebook is no longer a young person's thing, more and more young people shun it. I have several colleagues that surprised me in that regard, even people in their 30's

Instagram I find less intrusive, but I'm barely active there.

I also believe there's very little value for MTO on social media.  :salute:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #24 on: July 12, 2019, 12:19:12 PM
I occasionally check out posts on MTO's Facebook page but here is where I prefer to interact.
Posts there are ordered in a linear fashion by popularity and/or chronologically, here there is structure, different categories, searchable etc.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: July 13, 2019, 03:47:29 AM
I'm not active online anywhere except LinkedIn (which I keep strictly professional) and here.

:cheers:

us Online cody6268

Reply #26 on: July 13, 2019, 03:51:12 AM
I do admit, I do a little Pinterest; but it's primarily tied to my fire apparatus historian hobby. I did have a LinkedIn account, for all of about 5 minutes, before wondering if it was really necessary.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: July 13, 2019, 04:02:40 AM
I did have a LinkedIn account, for all of about 5 minutes, before wondering if it was really necessary.

I would say that depends on your job/profession.  I actually got my current job because a recruiter found and contacted me on LinkedIn, but YMMV.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #28 on: July 13, 2019, 12:48:06 PM
I guess the various discussions about them and social media links on the newsletters are working out as well as many things do here....

MTO Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/multitoolforum/?ref=bookmarks

MTO Instagram page:
https://www.instagram.com/grant.lamontagne/

MTO Twitter account:
https://twitter.com/Multitooldotorg

MTO Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Multitooldotorg/featured?view_as=subscriber

We have a Pinterest page too, but I haven't looked at it in years because Pinterest is a real pain in the arse.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #29 on: July 13, 2019, 01:13:52 PM
Seems like the original question is partially answered now. MTO does have a presence in all mainstream social media, but most people prefer the forums. :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88