Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A more serious discussion.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: A more serious discussion.
Reply #30 on: July 13, 2019, 02:31:19 PM
Some folks probably heard me said this in the past--personally, what really attracts me the most about MTO is not just the tools, but the fine folks between it.  This is one of the very few forums I'd been to where people would make you actually felt welcomed and real friendships were bonded from this place.  People might be drawn to this forum at first by our mods or the deep knowledge to begin with, but what makes them stay, I think, is not just the information, but the personal interactions.

So I do agree with some of the assessment about diverging the interaction thru too many social media could be a disservice to the forum.

Different platform of social media, one way or another, could often be some form of advertising or branding.   How successful a 'post' or an 'account' are often judged by how many followers/likes/views but how well do they actually know these thousands of followers?  I think it might be beneficial for the forum, to see how active members are recruited, and how involved are they on different platforms of social media, that might give us some idea whether it is worth the extra effort to promote on certain platform for recruitment.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #31 on: July 13, 2019, 03:19:28 PM
AGREED, to that last ......... :rofl:

Same here  :iagree:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #33 on: July 13, 2019, 03:26:39 PM
I am intending to do more with the various social media accounts, especially Instagram and Youtube.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: July 13, 2019, 03:39:41 PM
 :popcorn:

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: July 13, 2019, 04:32:14 PM
I am intending to do more with the various social media accounts, especially Instagram and Youtube.  :D

Def

That's sweet, if you want help with Pinterest I'll help there.

Cheers,
H.G.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: July 14, 2019, 06:34:21 AM
Not being terribly visible on..various social sites doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.

Much like hanging out in public housing suburbs doesn't really feature on my weekend to-dos.

I don't mind not being exposed to, or subject to, the dregs of the online community and their inane views or sales pitches.

And other than your vague suggestion, I have no reason to believe there is anything remotely useful to be found on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest, so I'm not sure why you think people are looking there for good information.

(I can only assume Grant was a few glasses of maple syrup into the evening when he decided to make a little foray into those realms)

Way I see it, MT.O is where it is, and if you want some of this information, pictures, or what-have-you, you're more than welcome to learn how to use the internet, skim past the first few pages of "hits" that are just listicles and recycled ads-turned-reviews, and find the hidden cave of gurus and enthusiasts that is here.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: July 14, 2019, 12:40:47 PM
The new forms of social media are geared towards vapid narcissists seeking attention from brain dead zombies. Not what MTO really needs I think.

You can proceed to throw rocks at me in 3, 2, 1...

:woohoo:
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: July 14, 2019, 01:45:38 PM
I guess the various discussions about them and social media links on the newsletters are working out as well as many things do here....

We have a Pinterest page too, but I haven't looked at it in years because Pinterest is a real pain in the arse.

Def

There is value to having those pages even if they are not active - at least someone else can't easily register and pretend to be MTO.

As for the social media in general I'm not active at all. I do see major issues if there starts to be parts of discussions and information all over various media. A possible variant just to extend reach a bit might be some no response posts of particular subjects which simply leads to this forum. That way all the info is still in one place (here), but there are some tentacles going out there. (Just to reach all those who don't use google or other search engines? Ok, I've confused myself again - ignore and move on).

For a while there I thought hashtagging was a new site so I tried hashtagging.com  :facepalm: I need to get out more I need to sit more in front of the computer.  :dunno:

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #39 on: July 14, 2019, 02:49:36 PM
PooTube, Felchbook, Instaspam, and Tw@ttier, can all go smurf themselves. I'm stopping here.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: July 14, 2019, 04:07:24 PM
 :rofl:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: July 15, 2019, 12:44:42 AM
Vidar actually brings up a valuable point- we need to register in each of these places so no one tries to pretend to be us.  There is, for example, a website called multi dash tool dot org that swears they aren't copying us.   :facepalm:

As for why MTO has a presence, well, I would like to blame it on the maple syrup, but the fact is, it brings people here to the forum and helps us keep an eye on what other makers and manufacturers are doing.  I have bought a few knives and tools in the past from smaller makers that seem to only advertise on Facebook.

So, bringing more people to the forum and helping us to keep up to date on things, both seem like valuable and viable reasons for getting involved in them.  For those of you that don't care for the Book of Faces, or Instant Gramification, no worries, we will venture out into the virtual unknown and bring back anything that is even remotely worthy of your attention.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: July 15, 2019, 01:00:50 AM
Vidar actually brings up a valuable point- we need to register in each of these places so no one tries to pretend to be us.  There is, for example, a website called multi dash tool dot org that swears they aren't copying us.   :facepalm:

As for why MTO has a presence, well, I would like to blame it on the maple syrup, but the fact is, it brings people here to the forum and helps us keep an eye on what other makers and manufacturers are doing.  I have bought a few knives and tools in the past from smaller makers that seem to only advertise on Facebook.

So, bringing more people to the forum and helping us to keep up to date on things, both seem like valuable and viable reasons for getting involved in them.  For those of you that don't care for the Book of Faces, or Instant Gramification, no worries, we will venture out into the virtual unknown and bring back anything that is even remotely worthy of your attention.  :D

Def
Glad I could restart the conversation. I have found a lot of cool items and ideas on instagram, instructibles, and Pinterest especially. For me Pinterest is a way to preserve a path to ideas that might be difficult to find otherwise. If someone asks about a tool and mod, I can search through my images on Pinterest in a few min and be immediately taken to the thread on Mt.org . For me atleast its way more effective than Google now that I put the time in saving the images.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: July 15, 2019, 01:49:16 AM
If someone asks about a tool and mod, I can search through my images on Pinterest in a few min and be immediately taken to the thread on Mt.org . For me atleast its way more effective than Google now that I put the time in saving the images.

I have a vague memory of trying Pinterest some years (?) back, and it kept nagging me about having seen too much and wanted to know me a whole lot better. Which seemed unfair as I knew very little about them... With your good feedback I thought I'd take another look so I go to Pinterest.com.

There I get redirected to an empty page with the amazingly correct URL: no.pinterest.com...!!?  :facepalm: 

I assume the "no.pinterest" is their page for Norway. Anyway, that was indeed interesting, and I'll give it another go in a few years time :) (Ok, maybe tomorrow - I assume that is a temporary glitch).  :cheers:

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #44 on: July 15, 2019, 02:14:18 AM
Some folks probably heard me said this in the past--personally, what really attracts me the most about MTO is not just the tools, but the fine folks between it.  This is one of the very few forums I'd been to where people would make you actually felt welcomed and real friendships were bonded from this place.  People might be drawn to this forum at first by our mods or the deep knowledge to begin with, but what makes them stay, I think, is not just the information, but the personal interactions.

So I do agree with some of the assessment about diverging the interaction thru too many social media could be a disservice to the forum.

Different platform of social media, one way or another, could often be some form of advertising or branding.   How successful a 'post' or an 'account' are often judged by how many followers/likes/views but how well do they actually know these thousands of followers?  I think it might be beneficial for the forum, to see how active members are recruited, and how involved are they on different platforms of social media, that might give us some idea whether it is worth the extra effort to promote on certain platform for recruitment.

:iagree:

I found my way here through Google, and I stayed because of the great community.

I am young enough that I should be interested in social media, but I just don‘t give a smurf about it. I used to like to browse pinterest, but they have way too many sponsored posts these days. Also their algorithms suck. They constantly showed me stuff I have no interest in. I like me an old school forum such as this one  :tu:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #45 on: July 15, 2019, 10:13:41 AM
I do see major issues if there starts to be parts of discussions and information all over various media.
:iagree:

A possible variant just to extend reach a bit might be some no response posts of particular subjects which simply leads to this forum. That way all the info is still in one place (here), but there are some tentacles going out there.
:imws:  Yup... tentacles.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #46 on: July 16, 2019, 01:32:16 PM
Well...

wtf.jpg
* wtf.jpg (Filesize: 39.87 KB)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: July 16, 2019, 05:23:25 PM

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #48 on: July 16, 2019, 05:38:52 PM
That is a good point in regards to facebook. I always thought that the forum section link should be larger on the main web page. I recall reading the official reviews and only found that there was a forum about a month or so after finding the website.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #49 on: July 16, 2019, 06:35:15 PM
Nice one pfrsantos  :rofl:.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #50 on: July 16, 2019, 10:07:47 PM
 :imws:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #51 on: July 17, 2019, 02:23:59 AM
Nice one pfrsantos  :rofl:.

Micah made that one months ago.  Obviously you aren't following the MTO Instagram, Twitter or FB page! 

Def

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: July 19, 2019, 12:10:02 AM
Given this seems to be a thread about brand expansion for MTO:

We have had the kerfuffle with the hats; the store is no more; and the only other MTO merch left is to order one of Toffy's tools printed by shapeways...so here's a question

Has anyone thought of perhaps teaming with an all in one merch company?

I was thinking of this after watching some DemoRanch/OffTheRanch YT videos on the company they have built that handles shirts, hats, etc plus does the sales page and shipping too.

The real issues:
-Is the cost/commitment of signing with such a company worth it for MTO?
-Do we have enough member market to support such a thing?
-Would outside/nonmember sales be a factor to consider? The LM/Gerber patent drawing shirts may be a nonmember draw just by appearance for example.
-Would bieng lined up next to other media brands drive increased intrest towards MTO as a form of addvertising in itself.

This is neither criticism nor suggestion; just a series of idle thought that I have been sitting on for a while now.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 12:16:50 AM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #53 on: July 19, 2019, 12:17:23 AM
Micah made that one months ago.  Obviously you aren't following the MTO Instagram, Twitter or FB page! 

Def

:whistle:

Show content

Show content
Tell Micah I said "Nice one Micah  :rofl::pok:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #54 on: July 19, 2019, 12:24:32 AM

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #55 on: July 19, 2019, 02:30:24 AM
Given this seems to be a thread about brand expansion for MTO:

We have had the kerfuffle with the hats; the store is no more; and the only other MTO merch left is to order one of Toffy's tools printed by shapeways...so here's a question

Has anyone thought of perhaps teaming with an all in one merch company?

I was thinking of this after watching some DemoRanch/OffTheRanch YT videos on the company they have built that handles shirts, hats, etc plus does the sales page and shipping too.

The real issues:
-Is the cost/commitment of signing with such a company worth it for MTO?
-Do we have enough member market to support such a thing?
-Would outside/nonmember sales be a factor to consider? The LM/Gerber patent drawing shirts may be a nonmember draw just by appearance for example.
-Would bieng lined up next to other media brands drive increased intrest towards MTO as a form of addvertising in itself.

This is neither criticism nor suggestion; just a series of idle thought that I have been sitting on for a while now.

Don't count the MTO Store out just yet- I think we will be seeing it back soon, although with a slightly shifted focus perhaps.  The fact is, I was trying to be a dealer of multitools, but I fail simply by virtue of geography.

I don't expect members to pay more, but by the time I paid for shipping and import taxes to Canada, I couldn't sell items at a reasonable enough profit to make it worthwhile, and then the Canadian Government went all silly on OH opening blades and that pretty well killed off any chance we had to make a go of it.  If and when the store comes back it is likely to concentrate on the things we can manage, like more MTO and Swiss Army Knights merchandise, with some of the odd knife tool and SAK deals that can be worthwhile.

As for partnering with others, I am not against it, I have just never really found a partnership agreement that I can adhere to.  Dear ol Def doesn't play well with others, and I don't want Partner X's failings to negatively affect MTO.  I have always felt that if we can't do it on our own, we shouldn't do it at all.

Def
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 02:36:15 AM by Grant Lamontagne »

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: July 19, 2019, 11:32:57 AM
Don't count the MTO Store out just yet- I think we will be seeing it back soon, although with a slightly shifted focus perhaps.  The fact is, I was trying to be a dealer of multitools, but I fail simply by virtue of geography.

I don't expect members to pay more, but by the time I paid for shipping and import taxes to Canada, I couldn't sell items at a reasonable enough profit to make it worthwhile, and then the Canadian Government went all silly on OH opening blades and that pretty well killed off any chance we had to make a go of it.  If and when the store comes back it is likely to concentrate on the things we can manage, like more MTO and Swiss Army Knights merchandise, with some of the odd knife tool and SAK deals that can be worthwhile.

As for partnering with others, I am not against it, I have just never really found a partnership agreement that I can adhere to.  Dear ol Def doesn't play well with others, and I don't want Partner X's failings to negatively affect MTO.  I have always felt that if we can't do it on our own, we shouldn't do it at all.

Def

I think the MT store idea is an interesting one, especially if a link from this website/forum could lead to a "special deal" which rebate the forum a little bit to help.  If there is a way to negotiate deals/partnership with local dealers(say one for US/Canada/Europe/Asia), that would do everyone a great favor.  But such arrangement probably is not easy to maintain and negotiate...

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #57 on: July 19, 2019, 01:09:07 PM
Don't count the MTO Store out just yet- I think we will be seeing it back soon
Well you said you might sell Chapman Mini Ratchets so I'm holding off getting one until the MTO Store is back up. :poke:

I don't expect members to pay more, but by the time I paid for shipping and import taxes to Canada, I couldn't sell items at a reasonable enough profit to make it worthwhile, and then the Canadian Government went all silly on OH opening blades and that pretty well killed off any chance we had to make a go of it.
Is there a way items can actually physically ship from the US instead of Canada? Would that get around such issues?  :think:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #58 on: July 19, 2019, 04:30:56 PM
I have thought of that.  In most cases it would result in me paying someone in the US to do it, and that negates any cost savings.  Plus, it means there is another point of failure in the chain, and I am not happy with that.

Then there is also the issue of things generally costing more to ship internationally from the US than it is from Canada.

Sadly the logistics just don't work in my favor, unless I emigrate to the US.  When I was based in Ottawa I was about an hour's drive from Ogdensburg, NY, and I seriously considered setting up a remote office of sorts and working both sides of the border to try and solve some of the problems I was facing, but that is an awful lot of effort, and not without it's own costs.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%