Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

It's not you, it's me...

us Online FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: It's not you, it's me...
Reply #30 on: June 29, 2019, 05:50:55 PM
For me it's the Spartan.  I have some and some are older ones, but I just don't carry them. 

A lot of the SAKs that I love are Spartans with a few more tools, like the Camper (Spartan with wood saw), or the the Climber (Spartan with scissors), or the Huntsman (Spartan with wood saw and scissors), so the Spartan is within all of the knives I love, I just prefer the added tools.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #31 on: June 29, 2019, 08:07:10 PM
I feel like anything smaller than the 91mm models is too small, except for the Classics which I'm very fond of, and I feel that a SAK without scissors is incomplete and I don't like to carry them.

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #32 on: June 30, 2019, 12:01:53 AM
I'm a big SAK fan but the one I just cannot warm up to is the Classic. Just too small, both the blade & scissors.  My favorite and most carried is the Pioneer-Rancher. Ilike having a small blade so I ground the Pruner blade down to a sheepsfoot so it's much more useful to me. 
Perception is reality

us Offline Intorikata

Reply #33 on: June 30, 2019, 04:26:08 AM
Funny how we can want such different things from our knives - for me, the Classic is Robin to the Pioneer's Batman.

I have to say, though, that in the days since I started this thread...I've started warming up to the X. Used it today to prune some dead Gerrardanthus vines stuck in with a tangle of live ones, and it was as much if not more friendly in the hand as the Climber. Hmm.

I'll change my answer to another alox (horrors!): the Minichamp. I love the size and the way it feels in the hand, but...too much redundancy. And...that cuticle pusher. If it were slightly dished it would be good for powders. If it tapered a bit it could maybe work for phone cases, phone/computer batteries. But nope. BRING BACK THE VAGABOND. With a teeny inline awl instead of the second blade.

us Online FolderBeholder

Reply #34 on: June 30, 2019, 05:33:47 AM
BRING BACK THE VAGABOND. With a teeny inline awl instead of the second blade.
:iagree:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: June 30, 2019, 10:20:25 PM
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #36 on: June 30, 2019, 10:52:32 PM
 :iagree:
Barry

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #37 on: July 01, 2019, 01:01:15 AM
I carry a Vagabond EDC.  And I do not think the AWL would piratical on the small frame.  And yes, I luv yo use the orange peeler as it also slices clamshell packages effortlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

Offline Mattexian

Reply #38 on: July 08, 2019, 06:25:10 AM
I was worrying that I was going mad, for not liking some of my SAKs (or maybe I *am* mad, but I've finally found the right support group!)  ;)

My problems are the Pioneer X and the Silvertech Climber.  For whatever reason, I just don't like the Silvertech scales, and despite my preference for a SAK with scissors,  I can't overcome it for the Climber, but I have no trouble with a Super Tinker.
The PX suffers from a similar dilemma, as a plain Alox Soldier was a favorite for many years, but no amount of rationalization can make me stick with the newcomer for more than a couple of days.  (I've even tried amusing myself by thinking of it as the Urban Pioneer,  which was the favored nickname here of the custom mods of this configuration, before Vic released a factory version.)

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

R

us Offline Intorikata

Reply #39 on: July 08, 2019, 10:55:57 AM
Don't you feel better after letting that out?

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: July 08, 2019, 02:06:09 PM
I carry a Vagabond EDC.  And I do not think the AWL would piratical on the small frame.  And yes, I luv yo use the orange peeler as it also slices clamshell packages effortlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Wenger put an awl on the 65mm I see no reason why Vic couldn't put a similar awl on the 58mm. For me the 65mm awl is one of my most used tools.
IMG_20190530_080340.jpg
* IMG_20190530_080340.jpg (Filesize: 245.02 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: July 09, 2019, 05:02:42 AM
The Blackbeard Foundation will accept donations of any type of sak you have no use for or doesn't click with you  :salute:
The foundation members(me) love them all  :rofl:

Ha ha! I was reading through the thread, formulating my response, when I came upon this. That's exactly where I was going!

I may detest the Classic, but it is a great little emergency tool that clips to my Beagle's collar! So my own little foundation will even accept those

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: July 09, 2019, 05:14:57 AM
I guess to me, the "classic" Swiss Army Knife is red, with a blade, scew drivers, openers and a couple of other tools. And I cant really get into anything under 91mm.

That means, for me, the Classic model is anything BUT a classic. I feel its blade is too puny, and the 91mm scissors a far and away better.

If a typical 91mm made an entire length of backspring a nailfile that you didnt have to open, they wod be just about perfect.

us Offline Intorikata

Reply #43 on: July 17, 2019, 10:26:21 PM
... an entire length of backspring a nailfile that you didnt have to open...

That...is a hell of an idea 😎👉👉

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: July 18, 2019, 12:10:08 AM
That...is a hell of an idea 😎👉👉

Well, it's not the full length of the back spring, but if you get one of the models with the hook/nail file combo (e.g. Compact), you can indeed use the nail file without opening the tool.

us Offline pipedreams

• Improvisational Engineer
Reply #45 on: July 18, 2019, 03:16:20 AM
I hate, hate, hate the combo tool. Give me a can and bottle opener with their respective drivers.
-Todd

Every moment is an adventure. Are you equipped?

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Reply #46 on: July 18, 2019, 04:09:51 AM
If Wenger put an awl on the 65mm I see no reason why Vic couldn't put a similar awl on the 58mm. For me the 65mm awl is one of my most used tools.

On my Wenger awl, I put a 45 degree edge and it really drills well, makes a good scraper and it is needle sharp.

As for the one that never did it for me....the Evo models. I really thought they would be great, but I just never could carry one for long. I also wish it came with a small blade instead of nail file.
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

Offline Mattexian

Reply #47 on: July 18, 2019, 09:29:02 AM
On my Wenger awl, I put a 45 degree edge and it really drills well, makes a good scraper and it is needle sharp.

As for the one that never did it for me....the Evo models. I really thought they would be great, but I just never could carry one for long. I also wish it came with a small blade instead of nail file.
Regarding the nail file on Wenger knives: when the In-laws gave my a serrated Traveler, it had that nail file, and after a while of carrying it, I sharpened about a half-inch of the tip.  Made it a bit handier as a nail tool, being able to scrape under my nails and trim cuticles.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

R

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44