Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Oops!

us Online cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Oops!
on: July 20, 2019, 04:28:39 AM
I've just done probably the second stupidest and most expensive thing in my life; second to the hospital bill I'm still paying off from that concussion in October from slipping on the bathroom floor (I was unconscious for a couple minutes so I decided time to go to the ER). While cutting a bush that had grown into the air conditioning's outside unit, I accidentally poked a hole in it (with the sheepsfoot blade on my Rebar; which I thought would actually prevent that from happening). A friend of mine is a trained HVAC technician (he doesn't work as one; he's retired and actually took the class because he enjoys learning; he later took a job teaching heavy equipment operation at the local community college where he and I met; and he's the best guy for the job; with over 30 years of experience running the equipment) and we've figured out that if we can find the refrigerant (he has the proper gear), we can get it fixed. Unfortunately, R-22 is on it's way out; and I'm gonna have to eat $350 to buy the refrigerant).

Which also explains why Beaker is my avatar. In the Muppets, it often was "If someone's gonna get hurt, it's gonna be Beaker".  Around the house its, "If something's gonna happen, it's always gonna be because of Cody". And that's the truth. I always have to screw something up by not paying attention, trying to work while tired, etc,; and it costing a ton of money to fix.   And next time, keep blades nowhere near the AC unit.

So what have you done with an MT that ended up making the problem worse?

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Re: Oops!
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 04:36:21 AM
Sorry to hear, this is a bad time in most of the eastern US to be without AC.
- Steve

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 06:32:28 AM
I try to do things methodically.  Sorry to hear about the ac. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 06:54:52 AM
I had a similar but not so costly experience a few years back. I bought a spring mattress from IKEA and that thing was wrapped so tight and secure. Whipped out my wave SE and attempted to slice open the wrapping.. On first cut, the blade when right through the mattress.. I think till date my wife still have no idea...

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 06:57:33 AM
We have all been part of the dindaling gang at one time or another. That is called learning curve  ............but does it have to be so dadblamed steep.???
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 11:24:58 AM
I was using the partially serrated blade blade on the PST II to drill a hole in something once, when I twisted it the wrong way and the blade folded.  My hand went down as the blade came up.... and I ended up forcing the tip of my middle finger down on the serrations.   :facepalm:

As the doctor was stitching my finger tip up, I asked him if I'd still be able to drive.  He was confused for a moment then realized why I would need a middle finger to drive and started laughing.... while seeing my flesh together.   :facepalm:

Some days it seems like being a member of the Dingaling clubbis mandatory.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 11:31:40 AM
 :rofl: :rofl:

Sorry Grant, no offence intended to your bodily integrity but that did draw a laugh...

I've lost count of the limited harm done to fingertips, hand palms and such like during what turned out to be clumsy use of multitools, which is why I've come to prefer locking ones ;)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 01:35:56 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 11:52:18 AM
Upside of our medical system is that I can be more or less careless with my own safety and I'm unlikely to go bankrupt over it - but there are plenty of times a should-be-simple job has been rushed (multi-tool related or otherwise) and I've ended up extending the time and financial investment significantly - from spilling paint, cracking door frames, wiring extra 12v outlets in the truck, and that's just off the top of my head now - times when a bit of patience and a few dollars up front would have saved hours and lots of dollars the next day.

but that's life, and human nature, we can't be careful and patient all the time. We'd become too powerful.

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 06:43:22 PM
 No accidents with MT‘s, but don‘t get me started with box cutters  :facepalm: Those things are the work of the devil...at least for me.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 07:05:43 PM
Sorry you are having to sell an arm and a leg over a quick slip of the tool, Cody!

I've got some screw ups too, but mostly at work. Cut myself several times, and some other stuff. I have damaged several antiqie pieces at work being careless, but fortunately was able to cover up what I did. Had the customers known, I'd be in hot water. :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 07:20:18 PM
I have not had any multitool related accidents although at work I have shot my self through the hand with a framing nail gun, nailed my finger to a sheet of ply with a tacking nail gun, screwed my finger to a piece of metal stud work, took the tip of a finger off with a chop saw. Once while drilling through sheet steel with a blunt 4mm bit I though it would help if I place my hand behind the sheet steel to get more leverage. Although the bit struggled to get through the steel when it did it made short work of going through my hand.
I also ripped off a finger nail when I clipped it with a downward cutting jigsaw blade when cutting a work top.

:whistle:
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 07:26:33 PM
I have not had any multitool related accidents although at work I have shot my self through the hand with a framing nail gun, nailed my finger to a sheet of ply with a tacking nail gun, screwed my finger to a piece of metal stud work, took the tip of a finger off with a chop saw. Once while drilling through sheet steel with a blunt 4mm bit I though it would help if I place my hand behind the sheet steel to get more leverage. Although the bit struggled to get through the steel when it did it made short work of going through my hand.
I also ripped off a finger nail when I clipped it with a downward cutting jigsaw blade when cutting a work top.

:whistle:
:ahhh You definitely need a stooge helper chip
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 10:12:11 PM
I had a similar but not so costly experience a few years back. I bought a spring mattress from IKEA and that thing was wrapped so tight and secure. Whipped out my wave SE and attempted to slice open the wrapping.. On first cut, the blade when right through the mattress.. I think till date my wife still have no idea...

Sam, as long as the cut is not too big it is an easy fix. Find a mattress company near where you live. Tell them what you did and how big the cut is and ask them if you can buy an iron label to cover the cut. They will probably give you one. Growing up I had a friend his dad was made mattresses.
Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 05:42:41 AM

NO STOOGES Multitools were harmed in the Posting of this thread.
 :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #14 on: July 21, 2019, 06:26:41 AM
(Image removed from quote.)

NO STOOGES Multitools were harmed in the Posting of this thread.
 :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
'Bout time you came out of the woodwork ............ :twak: :pok:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 22, 2019, 01:52:25 AM
Sam, as long as the cut is not too big it is an easy fix. Find a mattress company near where you live. Tell them what you did and how big the cut is and ask them if you can buy an iron label to cover the cut. They will probably give you one. Growing up I had a friend his dad was made mattresses.
Mike

That initial cut was quite a few years back. So far no one said anything  :whistle:.. Ignorance is bliss! 

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 22, 2019, 02:08:28 AM
That initial cut was quite a few years back. So far no one said anything  :whistle:.. Ignorance is bliss!

either your wife thinks your so helpful always changing the sheets for her OR she took one look at the cut and given your love of sharp pointy things realised what happened straight away and thought there was no point mentioning it.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 22, 2019, 02:52:20 PM

either your wife thinks your so helpful always changing the sheets for her OR she took one look at the cut and given your love of sharp pointy things realised what happened straight away and thought there was no point mentioning it.

Apparently that shows how often she change the bedsheets... She doesn't share the same enthusiasm for pointy things..

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%