Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I just bought a kayak!

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
I just bought a kayak!
on: July 25, 2019, 06:15:21 AM
Now what haha?!  :woohoo:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: I just bought a kayak!
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 07:47:48 AM
:worthless:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 08:51:26 AM
I was looking at mine over the weekend, can't really miss all its lime green glory, felt a bit sad...

Seat is perished from the sun, should replace the paddle somebody else broke........

Thinking about the effort and expense to get it, the 100's of hours spent on it, I just couldn't believe I never get around to it anymore.

So my advice is something like " ashes to ashes, dust to dust, if you don't take it out and use it, it'll rust (or something)"

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 09:23:34 AM
:worthless:
It’s purchased and paid. Waiting in the sporting goods store stockroom. Still excited haha :whistle:

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 09:53:01 AM
Congratulations on a good buy and a lot of fun!

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 11:35:07 AM
That's great news!

What did you get?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Last week a friend of mine asked me to help him (finally) pick out a kayak so we went to one of the local stores and got him a nice Capix Amazi 12 foot boat.

https://www.sportchek.ca/product/capix-amazi-12-kayak-332779371.html#332779371%5Bcolor%5D=73

I had never heard of the brand before but it appears they are a sub- brand of Riot, a company I am quite familiar with as my father has a Riot and I have a Sun Flight, another sub- brand of Riot.

He's thrilled with it as his first kayak, and the price was certainly right.  It was listed at $700, marked down to $500 and with the in store points he had, he managed to get it down to $400. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 10:02:06 PM
I went to return a baseball glove and ended buying a cheap kayak for $150 a pelican trailblazer 100nxt to be exact. 10ft’r for the small streams, rivers and lakes around Oregon. I didn’t plan on buying one at all. I got in and tried 3 kayaks at different price ranges and seemed to not need some things the others offered as this may only be recreational use for me. I didn’t need the containers or fishing rod holders, or slide foot holes. I actually liked the cheap model had a multi pegs on each side it felt comfortable to me?

I’ll report back again after my maiden voyage at some point. Still probably need a couple things, like a vest and paddle  :D

I’m also wondering what multitool is a good one for kayaking as it seems like it’d be valuable to have of course. Probably an inexpensive one not worried about rust or losing...

But I’m excited to become add paddling to my adventures!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 11:19:52 AM
Paddling is indeed a lot of fun, and you can't really argue with the price range of a Pelican kayak.  Even I have one, very similar to yours no doubt.  I think it's a Summit 100, and I like how light it is.  Its handy for getting into spots that you have a hard time getting a bigger boat into.

It's not what I call a "traveling boat" though as the relatively short length and wide beam don't lend themselves to efficient tracking (the ability to make the boat go straight) but the shape does offer a lot of stability which makes them a good platform for swimming, snorkeling or fishing.  Also the shorter length is a lot easier to store than a bigger boat, which is often a major concern, and you are likely never going to puncture the RamX plastic it is made of!

As for a good multitool, I rarely carry one on the boat, although I do believe that a good knife is absolutely mandatory.  Here is a list of the knives I currently have for paddling:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,71554.0.html

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 27, 2019, 12:50:17 AM
I went to return a baseball glove and ended buying a cheap kayak for $150 a pelican trailblazer 100nxt to be exact. 10ft’r for the small streams, rivers and lakes around Oregon. I didn’t plan on buying one at all. I got in and tried 3 kayaks at different price ranges and seemed to not need some things the others offered as this may only be recreational use for me. I didn’t need the containers or fishing rod holders, or slide foot holes. I actually liked the cheap model had a multi pegs on each side it felt comfortable to me?

I’ll report back again after my maiden voyage at some point. Still probably need a couple things, like a vest and paddle  :D

I’m also wondering what multitool is a good one for kayaking as it seems like it’d be valuable to have of course. Probably an inexpensive one not worried about rust or losing...

But I’m excited to become add paddling to my adventures!
More important than all that, is it pink?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #9 on: July 27, 2019, 01:35:10 AM
OMG :facepalm:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 07:43:36 AM
Not pink  :think:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 27, 2019, 07:46:09 AM
Paddling is indeed a lot of fun, and you can't really argue with the price range of a Pelican kayak.  Even I have one, very similar to yours no doubt.  I think it's a Summit 100, and I like how light it is.  Its handy for getting into spots that you have a hard time getting a bigger boat into.

It's not what I call a "traveling boat" though as the relatively short length and wide beam don't lend themselves to efficient tracking (the ability to make the boat go straight) but the shape does offer a lot of stability which makes them a good platform for swimming, snorkeling or fishing.  Also the shorter length is a lot easier to store than a bigger boat, which is often a major concern, and you are likely never going to puncture the RamX plastic it is made of!

As for a good multitool, I rarely carry one on the boat, although I do believe that a good knife is absolutely mandatory.  Here is a list of the knives I currently have for paddling:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,71554.0.html

Def

Ahh. Longer boat, straighter ride, makes sense. I have some creeks and stuff to explore so this may be good having a 10ftr. And entry level to the hobby. If I like it, and start to do it allot, I’m sure to upgrade. Thanks for the response, I’ll check out your water knives now. I could only expect the salt to be on there?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD