Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

BushHawk Camera Mount.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
BushHawk Camera Mount.
on: August 30, 2019, 02:03:02 AM
I bought this around the mid 2000s, looking for something I could walk around and support a massive Bigma lens for wildlife photography. As of two days ago, I just pulled it out of storage, and thought I might talk a little bit about a neat piece of kit. From what I know, it appears that BushHawk is no longer doing business. At the time of purchase, I bought the 320D Pro kit for the Canon system. The kit came with the camera shoulder mount, a fore-stock grip, a hand sling, a shoulder sling, a bag, the Canon remote shutter cable, and the rubber butt-stock pad. There are a few adjustments you can do to custom fit the BushHawk, mostly in stock length and angle. A tripod adapter is used to screw onto your lens or camera, and there is a quick release attached to the camera mount. Right under the camera mount, is the cable release socket. Attaching the remote shutter release to the BushHawk allows you to press a button to activate your focusing and shutter release. Half press the trigger and you will focus. Fully press the trigger button and you will take a photo. I had to buy a gun sling mount for the fore-grip as the included nylon sling wouldn't fit properly upfront. The Camera system is a bit heavy, and having the sling is very helpful. The included fore-grip is much needed with a large heavy lens, and the Bigma needs it. The Bigma is a Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM Lens that weighs 4.1 lb (1.8 kg). Include a camera and the whole thing does become a bit heavy. However, with this setup, I can walk along and take handheld photos with zero shake in the field without carrying around a cumbersome tripod or mono pod. Frankly, this setup rocks for wildlife if you plan on moving along. I gain the mobility of taking bird in flight shots easily. Furthermore, the great range of the Bigma is ideal for opportunity photos. With a crop factor of 1.6X, the Bigma gives me the focal range of 80 to 800mm which makes for a very versatile lens for wildlife. I have the older version which does not include lens stabilization...but I have found that I do not need it with the BushHawk. Combine this rig with a Better Beamer for an external flash gun, and you have the perfect rig to get the plumage colours out of birds you will encounter on a nature walk.

Here is my rig minus the shutter cable. The BushHawk camera mount, a Canon 50D, and the Bigma lens. Considering they no longer make these, I am very happy I was able to get one when the getting was good.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: BushHawk Camera Mount.
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 04:52:25 AM
Interesting device, never seen that before. I use a monopod, but would not mind to give this one a shot  :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: BushHawk Camera Mount.
Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 11:32:44 AM
It is unfortunate that they no longer make these. I do think there are other "gun mounts" out there...but the BushHawk to me is the better of the lot.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69