Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do your Leatherman bits do this?

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Do your Leatherman bits do this?
on: August 05, 2019, 01:30:08 PM

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Do your Leatherman bits do this?
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 01:53:50 PM
Only when I'm trying to reassemble Mjölnir.
Then I have to bring out the SAKs. :poh:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 02:32:46 PM
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

The thinness of that tool makes it really easy to bend. Send it back to Leatherman for replacement. I find all the flats to be relatively soft. Cheers.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 02:51:40 PM
I'm going to have to look at my bits however I do not believe any of mine deformed  :think:.  The bit holder held up or that bit deformed well before the holder was damaged? 

I cranked on my bit yesterday as I was adjusting a strike plate and lock assembly.  I was cranking on the screws with a phillips bit but nothing happened other that what was supposed to, a loosened screw. 

Esse Quam Videri

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 07:40:53 PM
Only when I'm trying to reassemble Mjölnir.
Then I have to bring out the SAKs. :poh:

:rofl: :like:

Back to topic: Has not happened to mine yet, but i use mostly the Phillips. They seem to be kind of soft though, they strip relatively easy.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 01:08:39 PM
I haven't had any problem with the LM flat bits that I wouldn't have with any regular bit :salute: Had a few of the star bits start to wear but I don't think I have ever broken one or warped one like that :o :ahhh

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 05:01:40 PM
Looking at the bit pictures, it looks as if the tiny flat bit was being used in a screw a bit to large for it. Maybe try using one or two sizes up from that bit. :dunno:

I use the hell out of my bit kits and have never damaged a single driver tip. But, thing about it is, I am careful to select the correct bit for the fastener being loosened/tightened. It also helps to make sure the bit is perpendicular to the screw head. When trying to use the bit with tool handles closed, the likelihood of getting a twisted driver tip increases.
These are all true of any brand drivers. I would say that LM bit kit drivers are on par with Vic steel in hardening, so they definitely cannot take the torque of regular integrated LM drivers. Why LM doesn't harden the bits to the level of their integrated drivers is beyond me. :ahhh

Like I said, best things that can be done to protect the bit kit bits is to always get the largest bit that will fit the fastener and keep the bit tip perpendicular to the screw head when turning. It helps to always use the bit exchanger with one handle open as well, since it makes the tool more like a real screw driver.

Edit:

And of course, there is always the chance your bit was not hardened properly from the factory and was defective to begin with.  :ahhh
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 05:53:00 PM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 10:39:01 PM
This happened a while back and from memory I wasn't using much force.
This bit was in my Skeletool, having lost the original flat bit, so there wasn't much option for getting the exact size.
I have had this happen with dedicated drivers as well but not as bad. I think the tips might be too thin.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 03:16:42 PM
I'm sorry for not getting back.  I checked my bits and while I can see wear on some more heavily used ones none are bent.  I'm glad you posted this so others can see a potential for this to happen.  Good to know the bit holder wasn't damaged.  I find some screws absolutely mangle bits so if I am struggling at all I generally use a dedicated driver.  I should push my bit driver/bit to failure at some point just to see how much it would take  :dunno:.  After years of using the bit driver/bits I have good idea of when to stop. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 05:03:36 PM
My flat bits are not completely straight but useable. But I don’t carry a bit kit for my Skeletool so I tend to not properly use the right size bits.

Leatherman warranty can be generous.

ca Offline Walley

Reply #10 on: August 07, 2019, 11:42:52 PM
i have had this happen. infact, i took a look at the ones in my holder just now and every flat tip in there has a bend to it lol. I also had a phillips bit break too. it was the combo bit that came with the surge.
if you have never bent or broken a bit before, then you are not trying hard enough!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 11:55:02 PM by Walley »

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 02:21:04 AM
I had this happen on the large driver on my Supertool - Which was very surprising/disappointing :(  - As that guy is meant to be the beefy tool   :pok:
Especially as I was not applying massive force!

Will try and snap a pic later.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 08, 2019, 04:50:49 AM
i have had this happen. infact, i took a look at the ones in my holder just now and every flat tip in there has a bend to it lol. I also had a phillips bit break too. it was the combo bit that came with the surge.
if you have never bent or broken a bit before, then you are not trying hard enough!
If you frequently bend and break driver tips, you're trying too hard. :pok: :D
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: August 08, 2019, 04:55:52 AM
I had this happen on the large driver on my Supertool - Which was very surprising/disappointing :(  - As that guy is meant to be the beefy tool   :pok:
Especially as I was not applying massive force!

Will try and snap a pic later.
The large driver on my Surge chipped once. Had to grind down and reprofile the tip. Rare to see that happen though.  :ahhh

Never had a large dedicated driver bend, but a lot of my user tools have twisted small flat drivers(rebar, mp, mp600, swisstool, spirit, toughtool, free p3, bear grylls, bear mfg, and some others).
The bit kit bits get a harder workout than those drivers, so maybe LM had a defective batch of bit kits at one time?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 05:05:21 AM
Here is the only set I have used since beginning to carry it. They ever work great in the Crunch. :)

Looks like the T6 needs to be ground down to a fresh tip though. :ahhh

us Offline superpaco

• Bigly bragadocious
Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 01:28:34 PM
I am usually pretty good with my drivers. But, the small slotted driver on my Micras usually ends up a little twisted and the smallest torx bits in my bit kit have also gotten twisted. I do think the LM bits are significantly softer than the dedicated drivers and bits I have. I got both the LM bit driver and the bit kit, but I only carry one card so I cherry-picked the bits I carry thus leaving out the slotted bits so I have never used them. The on-board drivers for my ST300 are pretty mint save a couple scratches even after I use them hard. I think this means I dont abuse my tool and I dont feel out of place saying LM bits are not very good quality. The only reasons I carry them are: I already bought them and I would like my money's worth out of them. The shape means I can almost carry 2 for the space of one real 1/4" bit. There is still enough non-mangled ones left to provide utility. And finally, I'm not sure if a strip of actual 1/4" bits would fit in the slot in my Skinth (which I will Not be giving up as far as I can see). It won't be too long before I simply must find out, in the mean time I'll make do with what I got. I mean, that's what we do here isn't it?
Life is hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it.

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 08, 2019, 01:46:41 PM
Hi, guys  :hatsoff:I believe I've seen a similar discussion somewhere a while ago and anyway most of the participants noted they have a more or less asymmetrical flat bits. So is the one that came with my new Signal - never used before, almost brand new, didn't see any hard work yet, however it's noticeably off center as well - just like the one on my Wave and all other flats in the bit kit... Don't know why, but I believe they were manufactured that way...

Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

ca Offline Walley

Reply #17 on: August 09, 2019, 12:12:29 AM
FYI for anyone with a bench grinder, you can easily grind down the sides of any standard bits to make them fit in your MT.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: August 09, 2019, 02:10:34 AM
Only thing about grinding is it ends up annealing the metal. Either you will need to reharden the ground bits, or use them gently.  :ahhh

ca Offline Walley

Reply #19 on: August 09, 2019, 05:34:46 AM
the bits that i ground down were 2" and 6" long impact bits. they retain the hardness on the tip, they just dont fit in the sheath holder very well. :D
you could also avoid annealing by rigging up a water tray under your grinding wheel.
where there is a will, there is a way!
tormek-t8.jpg
* tormek-t8.jpg (Filesize: 119.3 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: August 09, 2019, 05:49:20 AM
Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.  :dunno:

Offline Amallott

• New User
Reply #21 on: August 10, 2019, 03:27:49 AM

Looks like the T6 needs to be ground down to a fresh tip though. :ahhh

That's a good idea! I'm on the 2nd T6 I've had this happen to. Last time leatherman sent me 2 new ones. Holding out on using my last new one.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: August 10, 2019, 04:45:57 AM
That's a good idea! I'm on the 2nd T6 I've had this happen to. Last time leatherman sent me 2 new ones. Holding out on using my last new one.
:cheers:

Work like a champ. I've used a coarse stone to fix T6/T8 bits before. They usually have three good tips by grinding to a fresh one before the taper. :woohoo:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: August 11, 2019, 02:45:36 PM
I may also get to freshen up a couple mine as well :salute: great tip for those tips :D :like:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: August 11, 2019, 03:05:17 PM
 :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%