Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mod failure. 1463

No Life Club Posts: 1,599
Re: Mod failure.
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2019, 07:04:03 PM »
These are some of my favorite SAK modding tools. For me it is much easier for me to use a spring loaded center punch to find the center of the pins. I prefer a  lighter hammer.  Their is no right way keep at it and you will get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 15,549

Nix us

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2019, 08:15:13 PM »
I've got a spring punch that will get pressed into service..... Sorry about the pun there..... (not really) :facepalm:

Illegitimi non carborundum
No Life Club Posts: 2,933
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2019, 09:36:22 PM »
If I can do it then so can you! Worst case is more trying

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

Nix us

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2019, 09:48:59 PM »
Scrounging for donors right now.....  :D

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,407
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2019, 10:21:55 PM »

Formerly known as MTMatt
Global Moderator No Life Club Posts: 3,006
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2019, 01:50:52 PM »
Every time I see this thread pop up - I think it's going to say that me, or one of my MT.o colleagues, has done something wrong, and will be in trouble with the big boss.
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2019, 02:09:18 PM »
 :rofl:

Formerly known as MTMatt
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,663 Never gonna run around and desert the SAKs
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2019, 02:12:59 PM »
That's a good way to wake up quickly. :D

Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 24,297
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2019, 02:38:03 PM »
Yeah, that was my plan. I even had my cell phone in my pocket. And then it awl sort of exploded.......

I should have used some wire to replace the pins as I took them out, thereby keeping the set up intact and awl the pieces in one room....and inside the house.....in the same county...... :facepalm:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,106
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2019, 02:54:05 PM »
Every time I see this thread pop up - I think it's going to say that me, or one of my MT.o colleagues, has done something wrong, and will be in trouble with the big boss.

:rofl:

I've got a spring punch that will get pressed into service..... Sorry about the pun there..... (not really) :facepalm:
I actually prefer the manual punch, maybe the spring punch I got was a dud, it got too much slack in it to be reliable enough to punch at dead center.
Jr. Member Posts: 63
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2019, 10:20:14 PM »
I like to punch the pins with a spring loaded center punch.  Then I use a #0 combined drill and countersink like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Morse-Cutting-Tools-25051-Combination/dp/B00PY3HJIO/ref=sr_1_36?keywords=%230+combination+drill+countersink&qid=1572297375&sr=8-36

If my center punch is off, I have found that I can apply a little side pressure to move my hole to center using this type of bit.  The countersink really helps remove the peened head on the pin so I can drive through easily.  I would say since I started using this, I am salvaging about 4 out of 5 bushings.

Nix us

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2019, 11:51:16 PM »
Nice. I recently discovered that my spring loaded center punch is misbehaving. Not sure if I can fix it, maybe I'll end up with a new one.

Jr. Member Posts: 63
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2019, 03:54:15 PM »
Nix, I am kind of new to this forum thing, I am not sure how you do it, but I think you can PM me. 

If you want, send me your address, I think I have 3 bushings to spare that I could send you.

Nix us

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2019, 11:59:44 PM »
That is awesome, Chewie!  :cheers:

Thanks for the offer but I have the needed bushings to tackle the project now.  However, if you have any skill to spare, I'd appreciate some of that......   :rofl:

Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 24,297
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2019, 05:29:24 AM »
Any new news?  :popcorn:
Jr. Member Posts: 87
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2019, 11:32:24 PM »
Hey Nix,
Hope you don't give up. 
If you go through all the great advice here, and still want a little visual help, I found a series of videos on that big video site where the vlogger made 9 videos about the process of using hand tools to mod a Swiss Army Knife.  If you go to the site and search for "Cyber Champ, Victorinox mod" you will be able to find these 9 videos.  He uses only hand tools (no drill press) and very clearly goes through all the steps needed to disassemble and reassemble a swiss army knife.  This person may even be here on MTo for all I know, given his enthusiasm for VSAKs, but I don't know who he is other than seeing the videos.  Even though he is modding a Cyber Champ, all the steps would apply to any mod that you are trying to do.  I found this extra visual information, and step by step explanation to be valuable to me before I tried my first mods, as I also needed to use only hand tools.
And, of course, do a thorough search for and read the many posts here that outline how to do the mods.  Great information here, and many with good photos!
Try to treat it as a fun learning experience, and don't worry about problems.  You can get cheap donor SAKs to practice with on the big auction site.  Go ahead and trash a few in the process... so what?
Good luck! :tu:
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2019, 09:15:39 PM »
Hey Jack!
Just think about how wonderful it could turn out to be  :pok:

Formerly known as MTMatt

Nix us

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2019, 11:17:24 PM »
My parts are in a box in the garage..... :facepalm: