Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spyderco Jumpmaster 2 H1.

Aloha · 66 · 2473

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Spyderco Jumpmaster 2 H1.
on: August 19, 2019, 09:14:53 PM
I picked up the Jumpmaster from Barry.  First off the transaction was flawless as Barry is top shelf all the way.  I am privileged to call him friend and was super happy to try H1 steel. 

I've had the knife about a week.  It went right to work with me cutting hose, rope, webbing, and ever some shrubbery.  The blade took some scratches but I expected that from what I've read.  I never once wiped the blade or dried the blade.  I want to really work this knife hard.  I won't abuse it however I wont baby it either.  I did have to take my Spyderco triangle ceramic rods to it already.  Not sure what caused the scalloped part of the serrations to burr on the flat side but they did.  I understand work hardening will happen with fatiguing the steel and sharpening.  I am not really sure how or if I am saying that correctly.  I am not sure how the process works with work hardening but I am curious. 

The knife will stay wet until it dries and I will continue to put it back into the sheath wet.  I think H1 is up to the task so I don't consider this abuse. 

Here are some shots from today and I will update the thread to see how H1 and the Jumpmaster work out for my work purposes.  The first pic is the knife enjoying a sunny day here in SoCal.  The second is after a washing with soap and water as I didn't realize how dirty its become.  Its a sharp knife and if you know anything about Spyderco serrations then you know they are wicked.   

IMG_7728.jpg
* IMG_7728.jpg (Filesize: 295.92 KB)
IMG_7731.jpg
* IMG_7731.jpg (Filesize: 242.55 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Spyderco Jumpmaster 2 H1.
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 09:18:18 PM
Nice - I’ll be watching and see how it comes out!  :cheers:  :popcorn:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 09:52:47 PM
I missed an opportunity to send it to the beach on Saturday  :oops:.  My partner went kayaking on the bay but I took the knife with me to work.  It was instinctual as I planned on taking with me.  She asked about it but I had already left for work far out East of where where I live while she was headed West so it wasn't simple to take it to her.

Its ok because it'll get its chance soon enough.  Living less that 3 miles from the Pacific means this knife will see salty water.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 11:32:10 PM
Excellent  :cheers:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 06:09:17 AM
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 06:06:17 PM
nice. this is one to follow
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 09:23:30 PM
 :like: :tu:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 11:15:10 AM
A friend of mine has a Jumpmaster, not sure which version.......handle is too small for my sausage fingers  :facepalm:

Same as the Cold Steel Spartan  :facepalm:

I believe you use the edge of the triangle to sharpen the serrations, and if I understand correctly the work hardening that supposedly means the serrated H1 blades are harder, happens when the serrations are ground in, doubt normal sharpening will have the same effect.

What I do know is the serrations work, and you should be very happy with the performance.  :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 03:19:34 PM
Spyderco serrations are great.  You've got some big hands my friend!  My hand is snug within but I feel more locked in than cramped. 

So far I am loving it.  I've attached it to my work tool belt where it will stay.  I'll snap some pictures today.  I'll use it and re sheath it but I wont dry the blade.  I think over time we should see how it fares.  The water it'll be seeing can range from 000tds to 400tds.  Demineralized water can be very aggressive/corrosive.  We'll see how H1 does over time with no drying of the blade after use.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 04:00:00 PM
I’ll be watching  :popcorn:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 04:19:48 PM
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 04:21:25 PM
Where ya been TPC?  I know you are a fan of the H1 steel and serrations.  I've been wondering if you were gonna pop in and share your experiences.   Good to see ya.   :waving:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #12 on: August 22, 2019, 09:11:55 PM
Thanks Aloha!  I feel the same way and am glad you like it! :cheers:
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 05:12:32 PM
Cutting thru hose with ease ( after pic of hose cut and clamp attached ) Steel looks great with no signs whatsoever of rust. 
IMG_7742.jpg
* IMG_7742.jpg (Filesize: 209.87 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 05:20:25 PM
Very nice use!  :like: :cheers:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 24, 2019, 03:54:13 AM
Awesome knife. I'm watching this one too. :popcorn:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: August 25, 2019, 03:15:42 PM
Worked yesturday which mean so did the Jumpmaster.  I cut thru several feet of twine for a landscaper on the property I was on.  I thought I had given him a Wave a few years ago  :twak:.  Anyway, I rinsed off the knife so I could put it back into the sheath without all the sand and gravel causing scratches.  No drying for this knife.  My Spirit photo bombed. 
IMG_7745.jpg
* IMG_7745.jpg (Filesize: 242.05 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: August 25, 2019, 03:37:13 PM
Worked yesturday which mean so did the Jumpmaster.  I cut thru several feet of twine for a landscaper on the property I was on.  I thought I had given him a Wave a few years ago  :twak:.  Anyway, I rinsed off the knife so I could put it back into the sheath without all the sand and gravel causing scratches.  No drying for this knife.  My Spirit photo bombed.
Wow...you did work it out yesterday! Show no mercy  :rofl:
 :cheers:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 27, 2019, 12:27:28 PM
  You've got some big hands my friend! .   

Fits with the rest of me  :salute:

We come in all colours flavours shapes & sizes......had a funny experience making my first quadriplegic's knife recently that I will have to share in a separate thread....

Cutting thru hose with ease ( after pic of hose cut and clamp attached ) Steel looks great with no signs whatsoever of rust. 

Serrated Pacific goes through garden hose better than my (very sharp) 14C28 Skyline...... :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: August 28, 2019, 09:16:46 PM
Long day yesterday.  I use a bucket with organizer for work to keep random things I may need.  I also keep water for drinking and misc other liquids.  I tossed the JM2 in the bucket at the end of a day and again the following day.  I finally decided to take a look at it today.  Its still wet but unfazed.  I won't dry it so back into the sheath and into the bucket.  My vehicle is in my driveway and we've had some really humid days.  I'm also less than 3 miles from the Pacific Ocean and 100 yds from a salt marsh.  I'm sure those conditions over time will tell a tale.  I've had things already began to show rust after the 1st year here.  I don't think the JM2 will be effected but we shall see. 

So far so good and this thing just keeps cutting.  No touch ups since my first one.  Just use put back into sheath and carry on.   
IMG_7769.jpg
* IMG_7769.jpg (Filesize: 294.65 KB)
IMG_7770.jpg
* IMG_7770.jpg (Filesize: 325.12 KB)
IMG_7771.jpg
* IMG_7771.jpg (Filesize: 295.97 KB)
IMG_7772.jpg
* IMG_7772.jpg (Filesize: 296.86 KB)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 09:32:21 PM by Aloha »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: August 28, 2019, 09:39:12 PM
Very nice on the testing!   :tu:
 :popcorn:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: August 28, 2019, 09:46:36 PM
 :tu: I'm certainly gonna give it a run with everything I can.  Like I said, I wont abuse the knife but I also wont baby it. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: August 28, 2019, 11:12:45 PM
Exactly what I would be doing.  :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #23 on: August 29, 2019, 08:08:48 AM
 :tu: :tu: :like:
Barry

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #24 on: August 29, 2019, 06:20:13 PM
Very nice knife Aloha and you are right, the Spydie serrations are top notch IMO as well!   :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: August 30, 2019, 05:49:48 AM
Hey sir_mike  :waving:.   Great to see you popping in.  Long day again with the JM2.  I forgot it in the bucket again :whistle: so its sitting in among wet towels.  I'll get it out in the morning.  I was too tired to fetch it when I got home.  Fired up the grill and made dinner.   
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #26 on: September 01, 2019, 05:42:05 PM
Where ya been TPC?  I know you are a fan of the H1 steel and serrations.  I've been wondering if you were gonna pop in and share your experiences.   Good to see ya.   :waving:

Aloha, Aloha!!  :D
I am very busy all day nowadays but I couldn't avoid getting attracted by the smell of H1... :ahhh  Yes, my love for this steel is no secret at this point.
It is true that it scratches easily and is soft, but those are two qualities that just add to the "working knife" nature of the beasts that carry this steel.

Truth is, after using the JM 1 for two years and testing the steel in the Aqua Salt and Rock Salt, this JM2 is the blade I had planned on getting next when I get back to spending $ on the hobby. I miss a nice, sharp point on the Jumpmaster  :P

These blades keep on cutting, and don't complain when I leave them wet in the sink or they are attacked by my corrosive sweat!  :D

Glad to see you're putting it through its paces, not many reports on the JM2 on the web!!  :cheers: :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: September 01, 2019, 11:21:06 PM
Aloha, Aloha!!  :D
I am very busy all day nowadays but I couldn't avoid getting attracted by the smell of H1... :ahhh  Yes, my love for this steel is no secret at this point.
It is true that it scratches easily and is soft, but those are two qualities that just add to the "working knife" nature of the beasts that carry this steel.

(Image removed from quote.)

Truth is, after using the JM 1 for two years and testing the steel in the Aqua Salt and Rock Salt, this JM2 is the blade I had planned on getting next when I get back to spending $ on the hobby. I miss a nice, sharp point on the Jumpmaster  :P

(Image removed from quote.)
These blades keep on cutting, and don't complain when I leave them wet in the sink or they are attacked by my corrosive sweat!  :D

Glad to see you're putting it through its paces, not many reports on the JM2 on the web!!  :cheers: :salute:
Nice collection of H1 steel you have there!  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: September 02, 2019, 06:03:13 AM
Very nice collection of H1 TPC  :tu:.  Glad to see you pop in again.  I'll be taking it to the beach tomorrow  :salute:

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: September 02, 2019, 02:36:54 PM
Very nice collection of H1 TPC  :tu:.  Glad to see you pop in again.  I'll be taking it to the beach tomorrow  :salute:
The beach! Yeay.  :popcorn:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $0.00
PayPal Fees: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Below Goal: $300.00
Site Currency: USD