Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Day by Day...a Journey down the 91mm Range

Max Stone · 418 · 17033

Poll

So I was asked to add my "Top 3" out of the 91mm (current) range, so here they are. You're welcome to cast your vote:

Swiss Champ
5 (38.5%)
Traveller Lite
1 (7.7%)
Compact
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: October 18, 2019, 11:46:02 PM

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Re: Day by Day...a Journey down the 91mm Range
Reply #120 on: September 01, 2019, 06:31:31 PM
Very good read here Max and thanks for entertaining us. I'm a corkscrew fan because that allows you the small nested screwdriver and for that reason I only have one Tinker in my collection. Climber it is for me. Keep up the good work with the Challenge ! :cheers:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #121 on: September 01, 2019, 08:11:55 PM
I don't remember if I have written anything here but to be on the safe side.. Hi!

This is just awlsome reading and should be compressed to a guide later on

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #122 on: September 01, 2019, 10:32:22 PM
Thanks kottskrapa, will be fun to wrap in all up at the end!  And thanks Aloha, Fast Bill   :hatsoff:

Day 10

The last of the 3-layers in the current 91mm range is the Hiker, and really can be viewed as a Camper with a Phillips back tool instead of the corkscrew.

The Hiker brings a good alternative for those wanting a SAK with a wood saw for pocket carry when off the beaten track, but don’t see the need for a corkscrew.

Personally, I think there’s more chance of needing a corkscrew when you’re away from home and the kitchen draw, so it’s maybe a less convincing argument to marry the Phillips with the wood saw.

In days past, Victorinox had many more 91mm SAKs with the back Phillips, but they only added the wood saw to the 5- and 6-layer versions. The Hiker and it’s 4-layer saw/scissors Fieldmaster brother, are the only saw-equipped models in the current 91mm range with the back Phillips. All the 5- and 6-layer models are discontinued, so these two are your only options if you want this combination.

Pros:
- Great wood saw
- Small and lightweight
- Very affordable

Cons:
- You may miss the corkscrew, but maybe not

Bottom Line:
Like its Camper cousin, the Hiker is a great little SAK with an excellent wood saw. However, if you like the back Phillips and want a wood saw, you may want to also consider the Fieldmaster.

(Apologies for reusing a pic used earlier today, the Hiker with a Yeoman mod).
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #123 on: September 01, 2019, 10:37:16 PM
Thanks kottskrapa, will be fun to wrap in all up at the end!  And thanks Aloha, Fast Bill   :hatsoff:

Day 10

The last of the 3-layers in the current 91mm range is the Hiker, and really can be viewed as a Camper with a Phillips back tool instead of the corkscrew.

The Hiker brings a good alternative for those wanting a SAK with a wood saw for pocket carry when off the beaten track, but don’t see the need for a corkscrew.

Nice finish to the 3 layer models Max! :like: :tu: :tu:

Nice pics! :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #124 on: September 01, 2019, 10:45:47 PM

Day 10

Personally, I think there’s more chance of needing a corkscrew when you’re away from home and the kitchen draw, so it’s maybe a less convincing argument to marry the Phillips with the wood saw.

In days past, Victorinox had many more 91mm SAKs with the back Phillips, but they only added the wood saw to the 5- and 6-layer versions. The Hiker and it’s 4-layer saw/scissors Fieldmaster brother, are the only saw-equipped models in the current 91mm range with the back Phillips. All the 5- and 6-layer models are discontinued, so these two are your only options if you want this combination.

Pros:
- Great wood saw
- Small and lightweight
- Very affordable

Cons:
- You may miss the corkscrew, but maybe not

Bottom Line:
Like its Camper cousin, the Hiker is a great little SAK with an excellent wood saw. However, if you like the back Phillips and want a wood saw, you may want to also consider the Fieldmaster.

(Apologies for reusing a pic used earlier today, the Hiker with a Yeoman mod).
Nice duo for sure!  :like:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #125 on: September 01, 2019, 10:48:38 PM
Thank you VICMAN, Rapidray  :hatsoff:
4-layers start tomorrow...   :popcorn:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #126 on: September 02, 2019, 02:34:34 AM
Looking forward to the 4-layer SAKs Max! 
As I mentioned my first SAK was a 3-layer Camper, but after becoming a member here I became very interested in the 4+ layer SAKs.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #127 on: September 02, 2019, 03:33:43 AM
Yes, much like sensor watches (like Casio G-Shock, Protrek, etc), most are never used where the information they supply can be of real value (like your hiking example), and I suspect that 4 out of 5 Travelers fall into this category too. In the watch collecting forums, they refer to ‘desk divers’ when a watch designed for diving (100m+) is used more in a terrestrial environment (the owner may not even swim). The Traveler’s sensors are certainly very capable and it would be a good pocket choice for hiking. However, I still maintain it’s a SAK of interest mostly for its fun-factor.

Interesting thoughts Max ...
I love the (derrogatory!!) term desk-diver - I had not heard that before - Very funny.

Yep - I am sure you are right only 20% of people who get a Traveller will actually use the altimeter/barometer functions - And I guess the timer functions are usually available elsewhere (watch phone etc)
- And for sure the fun/gimmick factor is really good and cool

But just thinking - Does that category of tool/function not apply to many many tools on a SAK or multitool?
 - ie You have this amazingly capable tool (especially as you go up the SAK layers) - But you may never, or rarely, use some of the individual implements
They are just there in case you need them - fishscaler, hook - even the wood saw, metal file etc etc spring to mind!

I guess the difference with the altimeter - Is - Unless you are hiking or climbing mountains - You would never really need the altimeter - The other tools you may have occasional occasion to use in every day life!   

Anyway great reviews once again - Keep up the good work - Looking f to the XAVT !!!

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #128 on: September 02, 2019, 09:14:31 AM
Good points Huntsman...I think the main benefit of carrying a SAK is the convenience of having a range of tools available for unplanned use. Rather have a tool and never use it, than not have it when you need it!  :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #129 on: September 02, 2019, 01:35:47 PM
Day 11

Vic’s current 91mm range runs from 2 layers all the way to 15 layers, but the most popular are those that fall into the 4-layer category...all 8 of them.

With 3-layers, we had choice of scissors, wood saw, inline Phillips, LED or bit driver. Moving to 4-layers introduces the option to combine some of these tools, while introducing some new tools that you can’t get in the 2- and 3-layer SAKs.

So over the next week or so we’ll cover SAKs with tools we have not touched on before, such as the file/metal saw, ruler/fish scalers, pliers and magnifier.

And it’s the magnifier that gets our attention today, as this is a tool found on the 4-layer Explorer.

The Explorer is often touted as the best SAK for urban EDC, and for good reason. It packs the essential Spartan toolset (openers, blades, corkscrew), and then adds 2 further layers that include Vic’s excellent scissors and inline Phillips, paired with the magnifier.

We first came across the inline Phillips with the Spartan Lite, where it’s paired with the LED. Unfortunately the good people at Victorinox seem to like the LED, as it is the preferred pairing for the inline Phillips. If you want a non-electronics SAK with the inline Phillips other than the bigger Swiss Champ, you have exactly one choice...the Explorer.

Thankfully, the Explorer is a great SAK choice to do away with the LED, but if you have a fondness for batteries and electronic circuits, the 4-layer Traveller Lite gives you the LED/inline Phillips combination with scissors, plus you get the same digital scale we covered in the Traveler review a few days ago.

So back to the Explorer, and specifically the magnifier. Not to go into a deep history lesson on this little tool, but there are essentially 3 versions; the original with a smaller, grey surround for the glass lens, a later, larger version with clear surround and a...er...plastic lens, and the current version that returns to a glass lens within the clear plastic surround.

To be clear :D there’s nothing wrong with the plastic lens. It’s optics are just fine, and it won’t pop out like some of the latest glass version have a tendency to do. But it will scratch more easily over years of service, and customer feedback may have seen Victorinox switch back to glass.

There are whole discussion threads on the magnifier, so I best stop with just a final couple of points. The first is that while the original grey version has a higher magnification, the longer depth of field and wider viewing angle of the newer design is easier to use. However...the newer, bigger design necessitates a slightly shorter inline Phillips. Does this detract from the overall improvements? I don’t think so, but the old design sure has a strong following!

As the first 4-layer SAK up for review, it’s worth touching on the reason many feel 4 layers is the maximum for pocket EDC. The reason is quite simple; a 4-layer SAK typically has close to a 1:1 width to depth ratio, so there’s no orientation issues when dropping it into a pocket. With 5 or more layers, the width of the SAK becomes more noticeable in the pocket, as does the weight. In fact, some people feel that 4 layers is already too much. I guess it all depends how tight your jeans are!

So the Explorer sets a tough benchmark for the rest of its 4-layer brethren. It may also explain why the discontinued Yeoman (Explorer with opener layer replaced by combo tool), remains so popular.

Pros:
- Excellent scissors and inline Phillips
- Still considered pocketable for EDC
- Magnifier not as pointless as it may seem

Cons:
- Glass lens in clear frame can pop out

Bottom line:
The Explorer is a good EDC choice for the urban environment, and the inline Phillips will be the differentiator for many people. For a bit of fun, look for the older one with the longer Phillips and grey magnifier.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #130 on: September 02, 2019, 02:03:49 PM
Great write up and excellent photo’s!  I prefer the gray’s myself. I do have a couple of the clear’s.  :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #131 on: September 02, 2019, 02:08:55 PM
Great review of the Explorer and nice pics Max! :like: :tu: :tu:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #132 on: September 02, 2019, 02:29:09 PM
Good reading, Max!  Thank you for taking the time to do all these writeups!

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #133 on: September 02, 2019, 02:39:22 PM
Thanks comis, Rapidray, VICMAN  :hatsoff:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #134 on: September 02, 2019, 03:03:27 PM
When I got my first Explorer it was a game changer for me.  I finally got a second and then a Yeoman.  The Yeoman is good but for me the Explorer is the benchmark. 
Esse Quam Videri

se Offline RF52

Reply #135 on: September 02, 2019, 03:05:53 PM
My first SAK was an Explorer, still got it :like:
I'm enjoying your quick review challenge :tu: :hatsoff:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

Reply #136 on: September 02, 2019, 03:09:42 PM
Day 11
I guess it all depends how tight your jeans are!
Great write up and I had to chuckle at your disclaimer!   :cheers: Seems like a great ad campaign for Victorinox.
I like the looks of the grey magnifier, but when I had a custom made, I opted for the larger viewing area of the clear plastic.

us Offline jph_777

Reply #137 on: September 02, 2019, 09:27:54 PM
Good summary on the Explorer, Max.
I have been using Explorers since the mid '80s, and have owned more of them over the years than any other model.  One was always a staple in my camera bag.  Having said that, I now enjoy using a Yeoman (mod) more, as it offers roughly the same capabilities in a smaller package.  But, I will always keep and value my Explorers... and they are readily available!

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #138 on: September 02, 2019, 09:39:12 PM
Another great write up  :tu:
And thanks for taking the time  :cheers:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #139 on: September 02, 2019, 10:53:47 PM
Thanks Greg, jph_777, FB, RF52, Aloha  :hatsoff:
Explorer is indeed a great SAK!

us Offline Sos24

Reply #140 on: September 03, 2019, 09:44:32 AM
Another great write-up, Max.

When I got my first Explorer it was a game changer for me.  I finally got a second and then a Yeoman.  The Yeoman is good but for me the Explorer is the benchmark.

I’m the opposite, after discovering the Yeoman, I loved it and couldn’t believe more knives didn’t incorporate combo tool and magnifying glass/inline Phillips.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #141 on: September 03, 2019, 02:47:57 PM
 :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #142 on: September 03, 2019, 02:55:32 PM
Grand total of two...Yeoman and Scientist.  :salute:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #143 on: September 03, 2019, 04:20:19 PM
Day 12

The 4-layer Mountaineer has a bit of a confusing name, as it’s not much related to mountains, hiking or camping. Maybe adding a file/metal saw to the 3-layer Climber was the inspiration?

Of course, the Climber is an excellent base to build on, and indeed, most of the 4-layered SAKs have scissors plus another tool to make up their tool set.

In the case of the Mountaineer, the metal saw is not immediately obvious. The design of the tool lends itself more to that of a nail file, complete with nail cleaning tip and an overall shape that closely matches the common nail file you’ll find in most manicure sets.

But a close inspection of the bottom edge reveals a finely pitched, single row of teeth, raked forwards to give an aggressive cut on metal or other hard materials.

The file is a very old tool for Victorinox, and there have been many versions over the years. The current stainless steel version has a cross-cut design that is only visible from certain angles. It normally looks like just one direction of filing, but there’s a light second angled cut that overlays the first, deeper ones.

There’s no back tool paired with the file on the Mountaineer, but you get the corkscrew, awl and hook.

If you like the file/metal saw, the Mountaineer is the only SAK in the 4-layer lineup (and none lower) that has it. But it does become a regular tool from 5 layers and up. Certainly a good option if you want this tool in a SAK that’s still considered pocket-friendly.

Pros:
- Smallest (current) 91mm with file/metal saw tool
- Still has the excellent scissors
- One of the thinnest 4-layers SAKs

Cons:
- Only good for occasional metal cutting

Bottom line:
The file/metal saw is one of the least appreciated SAK tools, but is more multi-functional than the wood saw. The Mountaineer is the only 4-layer to house this tool, and should get more recognition because of it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 04:42:32 PM by Max Stone »

se Offline RF52

Reply #144 on: September 03, 2019, 04:28:27 PM
Nice :tu:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

Reply #145 on: September 03, 2019, 05:04:22 PM
I'm sure learning a lot from your 91mm journey, thank you Max!  :tu: :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #146 on: September 03, 2019, 06:42:16 PM
 :iagree: so am I. Looking forward to your next post  :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #147 on: September 03, 2019, 06:44:20 PM
Another great review Max! :like: :tu: :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #148 on: September 03, 2019, 07:15:41 PM
Thanks VICMAN, Rapidray, FB, RF52. Really appreciate all the positive feedback!  :hatsoff:

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #149 on: September 03, 2019, 07:27:50 PM
Max - been reading through this thread over the past couples days and love all the write ups you're posting. Nice work; please keep going.

Bottom line:
While there’s really no need to have a digital timepiece with atmospheric sensors on your SAK, it’s a fun addition that adds to the already excellent “fiddle” quality of any SAK. Makes a great gift or as an emergency egg timer.

95% of the time I carry a Compact. The times I don't are when I need something more suited to a specific activity - I carry a Pioneer Harvester when doing yard work (gets dirty; easy to clean) and I carry an Expedition Lite when hiking. The latter has the same scales/electronics as your Traveller. As an everyday knife I agree with you - I wouldn't use the electronics at all, esp since I usually wear some sort of chronograph. However, when hiking - they're indispensable. I spent a week with my son hiking out in Colorado and used the thermometer, timer, altimeter and barometer constantly. I clip the knife to my pack with a carabiner (keeps it out of my pocket where body temp messes up the thermometer) and go.

My Expedition Lite at Crystal Creek Reservoir with Pike's Peak in the (out of focus) background.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%