Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Day by Day...a Journey down the 91mm Range

Max Stone · 418 · 17052

Poll

So I was asked to add my "Top 3" out of the 91mm (current) range, so here they are. You're welcome to cast your vote:

Swiss Champ
5 (38.5%)
Traveller Lite
1 (7.7%)
Compact
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: October 18, 2019, 11:46:02 PM

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Re: Day by Day...a Journey down the 91mm Range
Reply #270 on: September 16, 2019, 10:15:36 AM
Kudos Max, what a great series of reviews! I keep enjoying my daily fix and will be sad when this challenge comes to an end. Hope you will take us on another journey then, maybe down the discontinued 91mm range?

Will you crown your personal winner at the end of the month? It would be interesting to know which 91mm is your personal favourite and why.

Keep up the good work!  :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #271 on: September 16, 2019, 12:54:32 PM
Nice CT-41 review Max! :like: :tu: :tu:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #272 on: September 16, 2019, 02:50:45 PM
Kudos Max, what a great series of reviews! I keep enjoying my daily fix and will be sad when this challenge comes to an end. Hope you will take us on another journey then, maybe down the discontinued 91mm range?

Will you crown your personal winner at the end of the month? It would be interesting to know which 91mm is your personal favourite and why.

Keep up the good work!  :cheers:

I second that, maybe top three and why? :popcorn:

Someone from Vic should hire this man, definitely one heck of an enabler! :D

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #273 on: September 16, 2019, 03:04:47 PM
Love the Handyman review.  I’ve been considering getting one, but not sure why to choose over just getting theSwissChamp.

The Handyman has the essential tools. The additions on the SwissChamp are more like gadgets to me that I can live without. The dedicated Phillips is great, but the can opener does a good job on screws already. The magnifier is nice to have, but nothing I really need. It is more for fun. Same goes for the fish scaler. While those three tools have their merit, I feel like they are just additions to the essentials.

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #274 on: September 16, 2019, 04:17:47 PM
Nice and comprehensive reviews Max.
It has been a pleasure for me follow this topic.
Good job!

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #275 on: September 16, 2019, 10:30:26 PM
...I will take the opportunity to ask a question: What do you guys use the backside chisel for? So far I have been unable to find a suitable use for it. No way to use it for its intended purpose  :think:

Thanks Hevy, comis, VICMAN, sos, TXSAK, Rapidray and Sir Vic for all the positive feedback and discussion. Top picks may just go into a poll at the end, as we could keep this discussion going a long time...  :whistle:

On the back chisel, I guess it’s a little like the corkscrew, fish scaler and awl. One of those multi-purpose tools that rarely gets used for its intended purpose, but is nice to have if you need it. As a flat, short blade, it could be used to scrape against a flat surface to lift something off. A mini-paint scraper is a good analogy.  :tu:

Day 25

At some time, around 70 years ago, Victorinox realized that there was a market for a multi-layered Swiss Army Knife. Not just the garden-variety three or four layers like they did in the 1940’s, but jumping to six layers. Something that included all the major tools available across the product line, in one medium-sized pocket knife.

This was the ‘52 Champion. And it was exactly that, for over 30 years (with a mid-life upgrade to 7 layers). The flagship of the 91mm range, evolving together with the tools as they were developed and improved over time.

Then in late ‘85, Victorinox launched the Swiss Champ (the name no doubt derived from its predecessor, which continued in production until recently). And today, almost 35 years later, the Swiss Champ is still considered the flagship, even though there are bigger 91mm models available, and even mainstream models, like the CyberTools, with more functions.

But there’s a sense of completeness, like a well-written symphony, about the Swiss Champ. Holding one never fails to impress, to the point where we can excuse some of its shortcomings, like its sheer size and weight.

I carried my Swiss Champ today on a short suspension clip, and it rides quite comfortably in my pocket. It’s probably true that I’ll never use all tools in a week, or even several months, and I could probably rotate a dozen smaller SAKs every day and get by. But there’s something undeniably special about carrying a Swiss Champ.

Sure, the fish scaler won’t get used to scale fish (by anyone), and I would probably not want to assemble IKEA furniture with the inline Phillips. But the point is; with the Swiss Champ, you can. And with 8 layers, 64 individual parts, 16 folding tools that I won’t name here, 5 removable tools and 33 functions, there’s a lot more possibilities with this, the champion of Victorinox.

Pros:
- All the tools you’ll almost never need in one package
- You can pocket EDC if you’re passionate about your SAK
- The reward of owning one

Cons:
- Overkill for most people
- Lives a little on its reputation
- Size makes some tools awkward to use

Bottom line:
It’s really hard to be critical about a product that has been refined over several decades. Many of the tools are quite compromised due to space limitations, but each functions as well as can be expected...sometimes better, and the quality of the fit and finish is top-class. It’s difficult to have an interest in Swiss Army Knives and not own a Swiss Champ, but it’s just as difficult to justify whether you need 33 functions in your pocket.
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #276 on: September 16, 2019, 10:50:57 PM
Another informative review, thank you Max!  :cheers:
The SwissChamp was the second knife I ever bought and still have.  I bought the one with the SOS kit.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

se Offline RF52

Reply #277 on: September 16, 2019, 10:57:38 PM
I want a Swiss Champ, but haven't pulled the trigger yet...

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #278 on: September 16, 2019, 11:31:05 PM
Great review of the Swisschamp  :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #279 on: September 16, 2019, 11:47:33 PM

Then in late ‘85, Victorinox launched the Swiss Champ (the name no doubt derived from its predecessor, which continued in production until recently). And today, almost 35 years later, the Swiss Champ is still considered the flagship, even though there are bigger 91mm models available, and even mainstream models, like the CyberTools, with more functions.

Great review of the SwissChamp Max! :like: :tu: :tu:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #280 on: September 17, 2019, 12:29:03 AM
Once again you have perfectly summed up the model you are reviewing Max, its history, evolution, cabability, usability, and place in the range
- I agree with every word you wrote, especially the carry comments.

When you have a SwissChamp in your pocket you feel like you can cope with anything and conquer the world.   :D

Althought I must admit, when I bought my first couple of SAKs many decades ago - I did think that the SC was a bit ridiculous (....ly big) and 'over the top'
Since my SAK/MT obsession hobby started about five years ago - I have changed my mind ....
- Although I rarely carry the SC - It is in my 'EDC rotation' and love to have it in my pocket.

Who, like me, thinks the Vic pliers came about as a direct response to the Leatherman PST?  ???
As we know, back in 1983 the LM PST was a redefinition of the pocket knife - In Tim Leatherman's own words
- Although later, of course, went on to define a whole new genre of pliers based multitools
My belief is that in 1983/4 Vic thought "Sh1t - We'd better get  something to compete with this PST"
(Or is that sheisse? ;) - Actually neither - As Vic is a highly moral company and I doubt that they swear!!)
- Hence the pliers and the SC in 1985
The timing is too close to be anything else !!

And of couse, ten years later, as the pliers based tools became even more successful, they brought out the Swisstool.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 06:43:55 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #281 on: September 17, 2019, 12:49:23 AM
You may have missed your calling! I enjoy your write ups and always find them educational at the least. Well done!  :cheers: :tu:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #282 on: September 17, 2019, 02:34:10 AM
I want a Swiss Champ, but haven't pulled the trigger yet...

You should. I just did last week and it is awesome  :D

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #283 on: September 17, 2019, 04:51:03 AM
Day 20

We now move to the second 5-layer SAK; the Ranger. And here we find, for the first time, the combination of scissors, wood saw and metal saw/file.

You can think of the Ranger as the combined DNA of the Mountaineer (scissors and file) and the Huntsman (scissors and wood saw).

And the file and wood saw are two of the slimmest layers, so the Ranger is no wider than some 4-layered SAKs, and pocket EDC was OK. Although I was using a suspension clip.

Bit what really makes the Ranger special is that every single layer has a back tool, and it’s the only 91mm SAK to have this density of tools. So in addition to the hook, corkscrew and awl that’s standard fare on many SAKs, you get the fine flat screwdriver paired with the wood saw, and the chisel paired with the file.

It’s no wonder that the Ranger is so popular. And it gets the really smart ‘camping’ logo on the top scale, the same design as the one used on the Camper, but a higher quality application that’s printed and then clear gloss top coated, as is the Victorinox logo.

I really enjoyed carrying the Ranger. It’s almost a Swiss Champ on diet, losing the pliers, inline Phillips/magnifier and scaler, but a lot more compact.

Pros:
- Great tool combination
- Full compliment of back tools
- Surprisingly compact for 5-layers
- Well-priced for what it offers

Cons:
- Difficult to fault. Plus scales would have been nice, but can always be added.

Bottom line:
This is the SAK to have if you’re looking for an all-rounder that won’t break the bank. Anything less and it’s a case of a specific tool requirement or lightweight EDC. Anything more and you’re looking at the much more expensive Swiss Champ.

Hi Max

My Ranger came to me for a mere $7 usd. From a flea market. I had to clean and sharpen, but a real gem. I've been carrying it daily for months and love it.

Interestingly older Rangers dont have the hook nor any back tool associated with the wood saw. The metal inlay camping symbol is different...instead of three lines making up the tent, it's one very thick solid line, and the line under the tent  extends all the way to the right to underline the word.

Mine has the flouted corkscrew and no hook. One of my new favorites

se Offline RF52

Reply #284 on: September 17, 2019, 11:04:52 AM
You should. I just did last week and it is awesome  :D
I'll start looking then :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #285 on: September 17, 2019, 02:28:06 PM
Do you know when you have to many SAK’s?
When you have a model, ie the Ranger, and you didn’t know you have one already!  :facepalm:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #286 on: September 17, 2019, 03:06:14 PM
 :rofl: :D

us Offline TXSAK

Reply #287 on: September 17, 2019, 03:52:35 PM
 :think:  :whistle:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #288 on: September 17, 2019, 04:11:29 PM
Max, another great writeup for the Flagship Swisschamp! :hatsoff:

It's was my first SAK gifted to me long ago by family members, back then it meant the world to me, and it still does.  Always bring a smile on my face whenever I see one. :D :tu:

us Offline HolyDeuce

Reply #289 on: September 17, 2019, 06:36:16 PM
Max, this thread is AWESOME!  :like:

Cant wait to see the rest!
Once you go SAK, you'll never go back.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #290 on: September 17, 2019, 08:33:23 PM
I love my Swisschamp,
And my Champion.  :D

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #291 on: September 17, 2019, 10:37:05 PM
Thanks again everyone for your feedback, and Huntsman for the interesting idea that Vic may have been responding to the PST when they added pliers. It does seem to line up historically.  :hatsoff:

Day 26

As we’re approaching the end of this challenge, I have a few discontinued 91mm models to fill out the 30 days.

Seeing we reviewed the Swiss Champ yesterday, it’s only fitting to cover the Swiss Champ Super Timer. This was the first time Victorinox added electronics to a Swiss Army Knife, and the last time they included an analogue timepiece in a pocket knife (together with the similar watch-equipped Compact, the Time Keeper).

Launched a few years after the Swiss Champ in the early 90’s, the Super Timer uses a little quartz module designed to clip into a modified top scale. The watch was made for Victorinox by ETA, a Swiss manufacturer of movements that has a history even older than Victorinox. Today, ETA is part of the giant Swatch Group who also own famous brands such as Omega, Breguet and Glashütte.

The little embedded quartz watch is water resistant with a case that is reminiscent of a Swatch watch, and likely designed by the same team. The case and crystal are plastic and sealed as one unit, with a pop-off cover for the battery compartment. Also zero jewels like a Swatch, but this is not an issue as there’s no tension on the gear-train in a quartz watch, and it has no second hand, keeping the height of the movement within the scale, almost.

The custom top scale is a little deeper than normal and swells slightly to accommodate the watch, strategically at the same point where the awl is stowed - cleverly providing some protection for the crown. Victorinox even cut out the liner to recess the battery cover, as can be seen in the picture.

There’s also a picture of one next to a Swiss Champ from the same era. If you have a newer Swiss Champ you might spot a few differences other than the obvious length of the Phillips and the grey magnifier.

Today, Victorinox uses a digital scale with an LCD to display the time, but ironically, like the analogue Super Timer, only hours and minutes are displayed. Some watch connoisseurs may turn their noses up at an analogue quartz movement, but for this application, it was the right choice.

And as nice as it is to have the additional functions that come with the new digital scale, there’s something timeless about the elegant oval face of the Super Timer. It’s one of my most special SAKs.

Pros:
- It tells the time
- It’s still a Swiss Champ
- The watch module can be removed to deep clean the SAK

Cons:
- Won’t be as robust as a standard SAK
- Discontinued and getting expensive

Bottom line:
The Swiss Champ Super Timer is one of the more unusual discontinued models that today is becoming quite collectible. It’s not the most attractive industrial design, with the watch face a tad too big for the scale, reminding me a little of Salvador Dali’s Persistence of Memory painting. But there’s no denying that Victorinox did a good job marrying these two very different technologies, and this quirkiness even adds to its appeal.
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #292 on: September 17, 2019, 11:00:25 PM
Nice one again!  :tu:
Your cons are the reason I pass on it. I would be more afraid of breaking it in the outdoor environment, dropping it, etc.  :facepalm:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #293 on: September 17, 2019, 11:12:59 PM
Yes, that is a concern. But I’ve had Swatches and they’re tough little plastic watches, so it would probably do a respectable job of holding up given it has so much Swatch DNA. But as I only have one, I don’t expect to use mine for EDC.  :salute:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #294 on: September 17, 2019, 11:15:59 PM
Yes, that is a concern. But I’ve had Swatches and they’re tough little plastic watches, so it would probably do a respectable job of holding up given it has so much Swatch DNA. But as I only have one, I don’t expect to use mine for EDC.  :salute:
A Sunday carry maybe!  :tu:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #295 on: September 18, 2019, 05:15:20 AM
Nice write-up again, Max!  :like:

gb Offline fullbreakfast

Reply #296 on: September 18, 2019, 10:22:12 AM
This has been such a fun and educational thread for me - awesome work Max!

It has got me thinking about how, almost counter-intuitively, so many of these models seem to have their own special character that you only really discover when you handle and use them day to day. I mean you'd think that with a limited number of permutations based on a small number of different tools there would be a certain sameness to the range, and choosing between knives would be a simple, utilitarian matter. But it certainly doesn't feel that way.

Part of it, I'm sure, is the well thought out system of naming that Victorinox have, which creates a certain personality for the knife right away, and makes it easy to think and talk about the models...it's much more inviting to get involved in a discussion about the relative merits of the Explorer and the Super-Tinker than if they were the V91.42 and the V91.36. No slouches when it came to marketing, these Elseners!

But there is more to it than that I think. Partly down to an effect I first noticed when I was a watch nut many years ago, that small differences you would think are insignificant in objective terms, a couple of millimetres here or a few grams there, can create a huge difference in subjective experience when they apply to these small objects that we share our personal space with on a daily basis. The 4mm difference in thickness between a Climber and an Explorer isn't much, but it's a world of difference in the hand or the pocket.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #297 on: September 18, 2019, 01:48:38 PM
Great write-up and pics of the Swiss Champ Super Timer Max! :like: :tu: :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #298 on: September 18, 2019, 11:34:04 PM
Thanks VICMAN, Rapidray and Sir Vic  :hatsoff:

And fullbreakfast, you raise an interesting topic of individuality which is certainly stronger on some SAKs than others, with the name contributing to this. Like watches, SAKs are very tactile and personal items, so it’s not surprising that some are held in higher regard.  :tu:

Day 27

Victorinox products are generally designed for everyday use. But like many brands, they have realized there’s good business to be made by targeting enthusiasts and collectors.

And while there’s nothing stopping you carrying a limited edition Victorinox Damascus pocket knife for EDC (and people do), the size of the very large SAKs, with 10-15 layers, do tend to limit them to collectors (that, and the price).

But there appears to be one 91mm Victorinox that has a little bit of an identity crisis. Is it for general use, or for the collector? This is the 11-layer Swiss Champ XLT.

Victorinox realized, shortly after launching the CyberTool family in 2000, that they could add the newly-released bit driver to the Swiss Champ and create a super Swiss Champ. But in an unusual decision, Victorinox decided to add a further two layers, one for the Pharmaceutical Spatula and another for a pair of less common short blades, a Pruning and an
Electrician's blade.

So Victorinox may have missed an opportunity to upgrade the Swiss Champ with just one extra layer, similar to what they did with the Champion, when they added the inline Phillips and magnifier as a mid-life upgrade from six to seven layers.

But there’s a simple explanation. Victorinox had just released the Swiss Champ XL a year before the CyberTool, and I suspect that as sales were poor on this product, they decided to swap out the golf-specific divot repair tool for the more useful bit driver.

There’s also the need to space products and prices to avoid unnecessary sales cannibalization. A Swiss Champ with a bit driver could put CyberTool L (CT-41) sales at risk and even threaten the Swiss Champ. But I still think they missed an opportunity.

As a side note, it’s common for the XLT to be referred to unofficially as the CT-50, for its 50 functions and tool relationship with the CyperTool family. Maybe if they dropped a couple of questionable layers, they could market it as a 9-layer CyberTool XL?

Pros:
- A Swiss Champ with a bit driver

Cons:
- Unnecessarily extra layers come along for the ride

Bottom line:
The XLT should not be seen as a collector’s SAK, but as a Swiss Champ with an added bit driver, ready to be carried in a bag or glove compartment to tackle any range of tasks...even to handle pharmaceutical products.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #299 on: September 19, 2019, 02:13:28 AM
That is some interesting history! Great review for sure!  :like: :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99