Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Day by Day...a Journey down the 91mm Range

Max Stone · 418 · 17007

Poll

So I was asked to add my "Top 3" out of the 91mm (current) range, so here they are. You're welcome to cast your vote:

Swiss Champ
5 (38.5%)
Traveller Lite
1 (7.7%)
Compact
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: October 18, 2019, 11:46:02 PM

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Day by Day...a Journey down the 91mm Range
Reply #360 on: September 24, 2019, 08:56:28 AM
Thank you Aloha, it’s a small contribution among the many excellent threads and posts that make MTo such a great place to learn and share experiences.  :hatsoff:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #361 on: September 24, 2019, 09:55:24 AM
Great work mate! One of the best guides I have seen

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #362 on: September 24, 2019, 10:25:16 AM
Thank you kottskrapa  :hatsoff:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

gb Offline Jaypeebee

• No Life Club
Reply #363 on: September 24, 2019, 11:00:26 PM
Wow! Thanks Max  :tu:
Had a bit of time on my hands and read the whole thread in one sitting, learnt so much.
    Great stuff..... :cheers:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #364 on: September 24, 2019, 11:04:12 PM
Wow, thanks Jaypeebee  :hatsoff:

Been thinking of PDFing the posts into one reference doc as someone suggested earlier in the challenge.  :cheers:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #365 on: September 25, 2019, 12:06:50 AM
PDF - Hmmmm - Good idea - If you did that we could put it at the bottom of the Wiki 91mm page after your family trees

What do you think folks?

us Offline Scubadawg1

Reply #366 on: September 25, 2019, 02:38:51 AM
PDF - Hmmmm - Good idea - If you did that we could put it at the bottom of the Wiki 91mm page after your family trees

What do you think folks?

Great idea!  I would refer to it often.

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #367 on: September 25, 2019, 12:07:39 PM
I think that would be great!

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #368 on: September 26, 2019, 06:07:53 AM
 :iagree:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sos24

Reply #369 on: September 26, 2019, 06:31:25 AM
I like the idea of pdf on wiki

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #370 on: September 26, 2019, 06:35:48 AM

What do you think folks?

That's a brilliant idea!

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #371 on: September 26, 2019, 06:55:03 AM
 :iagree: great idea!

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #372 on: September 26, 2019, 10:53:47 PM
So I collect my Expedition Lite tomorrow!  :woohoo:

This is the final standard 91mm model in Vic’s current range that I was missing, so I can at last complete the ‘bonus’ day of my challenge, put up my top 5 poll and publish a PDF of the journey.

I’ll try to get the mini review of the Expedition Lite out over the weekend, between custom builds and a few domestic chores around the house.  :whistle:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #373 on: September 26, 2019, 11:05:25 PM
Wow, thanks Jaypeebee  :hatsoff:

Been thinking of PDFing the posts into one reference doc as someone suggested earlier in the challenge.  :cheers:

Great idea Max! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #374 on: September 26, 2019, 11:06:42 PM
So I collect my Expedition Lite tomorrow!  :woohoo:

I’ll try to get the mini review of the Expedition Lite out over the weekend, between custom builds and a few domestic chores around the house.  :whistle:

I will be looking forward to your mini review of the Expedition Lite Max! :popcorn: :popcorn:

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #375 on: September 27, 2019, 01:36:56 AM
It's been an interesting challenge.  Don't feel you have to cut it off at 30 days.
- Steve

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #376 on: September 27, 2019, 08:22:00 PM
Thanks everyone!

Bonus Day

Sometimes a manufacturer’s product positioning is difficult to understand. Here’s a case in point...

For many, the ideal SAK is a Swiss Champ without the Fish Scaler and Pliers. With 6 layers, this would be a little more easy to carry, yet still address 95% of what a typical Swiss Champ user needs.

The Handyman is almost there, but the excellent inline Phillips is missing, and it still has the Pliers that are not a particularly popular tool.

So how about the Expedition Lite? “...the what?” I’m sure many of you will ask?

The Expedition Lite is probably the least-known SAK in Vic’s current 91mm lineup. To the point where I had to get one ordered from the factory to finish off this challenge as a Bonus Day.

So imaging a 6-layer Swiss Champ without the Fish Scaler and Pliers, and you (almost) have the Expedition Lite...rejoice! (cue choir...)

I said almost, because the magnifier is replaced with the excellent new clear LED (that is now bright enough to be usable). I could live with this change, but Victorinox decided to pull out all the stops on this model, as they added the digital scale (LCD with time, altitude, barometric trend, temperature, alarm, countdown timer and stopwatch), and bundled the SAK in a leather pouch together with a compass and sharpening stone.

Now you know why it’s called the Expedition Lite.

Of course, what could have sold at a price around that of a Handyman, moved to a collector’s level of an XLT.

So was this a missed opportunity for Victorinox, is there method in their madness? I’m really not sure. The Expedition Lite is basically a Ranger with inline Phillips and an LED, so it would have the potential to be very popular.

However, it does seem that they wanted to create a unique package with this offering, and there’s no denying it would be an excellent companion for an expedition into the great unknown. I just wonder if Victorinox missed a trick by not releasing it as a stand-alone SAK without the digital scale?

Pros:
- Very good tool load in 6 layers
- Much brighter LED (new clear housing)
- Bundled with nice accessories

Cons:
- Only available as a bundled offering
- Electronic, so does not like swimming
- Pricing in collector’s territory

Bottom Line:
I can’t help think that Victorinox made a mistake with this product. The more I look at this SAK, the more I love this tool load. If it wasn’t $200 I’d probably whip off the digital scales and use it for EDC. I may just carry it as is and enjoy it. I guess this is the ‘sleeper’ of the range...a great SAK to finish the range as a bonus day!

(Last pic compared to a Swiss Champ for size)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 08:28:57 PM by Max Stone »

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #377 on: September 27, 2019, 08:32:38 PM
Very nice write up and excellent bonus for us!  :tu: :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #378 on: September 27, 2019, 09:07:59 PM
Nice pics and review Max! :like: :tu: :tu:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #379 on: September 27, 2019, 09:27:25 PM
Great review Max  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #380 on: September 27, 2019, 09:40:53 PM
Thank you Wim, Rapidray, VICMAN.  :hatsoff:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #381 on: September 27, 2019, 10:17:46 PM
Well worth the wait  :hatsoff:.

Ranger with inline phillips sounds amazing.  This SAK like many almost hit the mark dead on but.......  it doesn't.  Great SAK for the collection and overall regardless of what I say. 
Esse Quam Videri

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #382 on: September 27, 2019, 10:28:38 PM
Interesting fact; when Vic pair the inline Phillips with the LED, the Phillips is on the key ring side. When they pair it with the magnifier, it’s on the opposite side. So there’s nothing stopping you having an inline tool both ends...like an awl + Phillips.  :dunno:

gb Offline fullbreakfast

Reply #383 on: September 27, 2019, 11:24:21 PM
Sometimes a manufacturer’s product positioning is difficult to understand. Here’s a case in point...

For many, the ideal SAK is a Swiss Champ without the Fish Scaler and Pliers. With 6 layers, this would be a little more easy to carry, yet still address 95% of what a typical Swiss Champ user needs.

The Handyman is almost there, but the excellent inline Phillips is missing, and it still has the Pliers that are not a particularly popular tool.

So how about the Expedition Lite? “...the what?” I’m sure many of you will ask?

The Expedition Lite is probably the least-known SAK in Vic’s current 91mm lineup. To the point where I had to get one ordered from the factory to finish off this challenge as a Bonus Day.

So imaging a 6-layer Swiss Champ without the Fish Scaler and Pliers, and you (almost) have the Expedition Lite...rejoice! (cue choir...)

Another ‘almost, but not quite’ answer to this conundrum would be the Swiss Champion, of course - the Champ but minus pliers. So you still have the dreaded Fish Scaler, but honestly it's a pretty thin layer! Of course it's not current, so strictly outside the scope of the thread. But not hard to find, and worth considering.

I have one and I dig it.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #384 on: September 28, 2019, 01:26:07 AM
Nice one Max

And once again you have managed to come up with new facts for me - That this model is only available via the Kit!
Although I note that the Wiki has a product code for the Expedition model without the Kit.
Note to self: Wiki page needs updating with more info on the kit!!
Also interesting and very good thought to release it without the Traveller scales !

I was fascinated by this and ....... not that I don't believe you,   :pok:    :D   - I had to do a little of my own research
Sure enough this model in the catalogue and website is only available via the Kit
And this led me to discover three/four errors in the Vic documentation !!

1. If you search for 'expedition' on the website it does not find the model - Although if you search for 'expedit' It does find it - as does predictive text  .... Weird - Anyone else get this?
2. The website describes this model as the "Traveller plus the pouch and accessories" - Wrong - It's got extra tools in the SAK itself ..... (it's not not even the Traveller Lite plus accessories)
3. I also checked my catalogue (which I down loaded from the website) - And right enough - Only available via the Kit - But who can spot the (repeated) error on this page ?  ???    :D   see image below - Hint - Don't go checking bar codes or worry if the text is too blurry - Only prize is the satisfaction of spotting the error   ;)
4. So I went to check the catalogue on the website and the error is not there - But strangely the catalogue (which had been the 2017 version) is now the 2015 version - And does not have the error!
   - I thought having the 2017 version on the website in 2018 was a little outdated - But the 2015 version in 2019 - .... Hello?   ???    :pok:

Sorry - All very sad and OCD - I know    :rofl:
Catalogue traveller.JPG
* Catalogue traveller.JPG (Filesize: 84.62 KB)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 02:38:03 AM by Huntsman »

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #385 on: September 28, 2019, 01:38:04 AM
PS. One more thought ......

This model should really be called the Traveller Kit or the Traveller Expedition (Kit) 
Although not if they take up Max's suggestion !

What do you think?

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #386 on: September 28, 2019, 01:56:02 AM
There kits are very nice! I have the SwissChamp SOS kit and its great!  :tu:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #387 on: September 28, 2019, 02:54:31 AM
Great bonus day info.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #388 on: September 28, 2019, 06:42:29 AM
Nice bonus review!  Also like the comparison shot with the '86/'87 Champ...Also one of my faves (for the thin 2.5mm pliers)

Almost the perfect knife for me...if only it had the pliers!!
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #389 on: September 28, 2019, 07:42:05 AM
Nice one Max

And once again you have managed to come up with new facts for me - That this model is only available via the Kit!
Although I note that the Wiki has a product code for the Expedition model without the Kit.
Note to self: Wiki page needs updating with more info on the kit!!
Also interesting and very good thought to release it without the Traveller scales !

I was fascinated by this and ....... not that I don't believe you,   :pok:    :D   - I had to do a little of my own research
Sure enough this model in the catalogue and website is only available via the Kit
And this led me to discover three/four errors in the Vic documentation !!

1. If you search for 'expedition' on the website it does not find the model - Although if you search for 'expedit' It does find it - as does predictive text  .... Weird - Anyone else get this?
2. The website describes this model as the "Traveller plus the pouch and accessories" - Wrong - It's got extra tools in the SAK itself ..... (it's not not even the Traveller Lite plus accessories)
3. I also checked my catalogue (which I down loaded from the website) - And right enough - Only available via the Kit - But who can spot the (repeated) error on this page ?  ???    :D   see image below - Hint - Don't go checking bar codes or worry if the text is too blurry - Only prize is the satisfaction of spotting the error   ;)
4. So I went to check the catalogue on the website and the error is not there - But strangely the catalogue (which had been the 2017 version) is now the 2015 version - And does not have the error!
   - I thought having the 2017 version on the website in 2018 was a little outdated - But the 2015 version in 2019 - .... Hello?   ???    :pok:

Sorry - All very sad and OCD - I know    :rofl:

Yeah, saw the web site error too!

And the bit driver bits shown with the Traveler pictures in the catalog - is that a silly mistake or what?  :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%