Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Another Yeoman WS...yup!

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Another Yeoman WS...yup!
on: August 30, 2019, 10:28:55 AM
This time for a customer. Thank you MTo!  :salute:

Standard Yeoman WS (wood saw) but with the Awl as a back tool for the saw. I reuse the opener backspring (that does not get used in the build) and cut the saw’s backspring tip rest area to get the correct tension and to give the same closing rest area as factory. Other benefit is that you get to keep the stronger keyring attachment point.

Donors were a SC and Compact. Polished the liner edges as the factory stamping is...mmm...rough.  >:(

Also had to modify the profile of two, one to be flush with the saw tip rest area (to give a nice clean landing area for the tip), and the other tapered on the main blade tip area, as the SC liner next to the blades is...mmm...ugly.  ???

Extra effort to ensure the layers were peened back properly to ensure no wiggle, as this tool is designed for use (inline twisting, etc).

Build pics and some ‘beauty’ shots to follow.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 12:33:21 PM by Max Stone »
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

za Offline Max Stone

Re: Another Yeoman WS...yup!
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 10:30:54 AM
Pics...
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 10:58:24 AM
Some more pics of the finished product...

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 10:59:44 AM
Last set of pics showing some details...

us Offline jph_777

Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 06:13:56 PM
Excellent concept and execution, Max! :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 07:23:15 PM
Thank you jph_777  :hatsoff:

What’s your next?

us Offline BClogic

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 01:59:59 AM
That’s a beauty Max!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awlways know if the juice is worth the squeeze.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 02:11:40 AM
Very nice!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 08:02:52 AM
Max, good work again! :cheers:   Personally, I still prefer Metal file/saw than wood saw, since it can do what wood saw does but not vice versa.  But as far as wood saw go, Vic 91mm does have one of the best in industry. :D

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 08:57:33 AM
Thanks BClogic, Sos, comis  :hatsoff:

Tempted to do Yeoman WS+MS, but starting to get to the point where if you’re at 5 layers, you’re losing the benefit of the Combo tool.

Been thinking about a bladeless SAK...

Layer 1 - metal file with corkscrew (pivot base of corkscrew thinned a little to match back spring)

Layer 2 - pliers

Layer 3 - (optional) Phillips/magnifier

Layer 4 - scissors and hook

Layer 5 - opener layer with awl

Could be an interesting build?  :dunno:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 02:22:05 PM
Wow, that is so nice!  :tu: :cheers:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 07:22:25 PM
Thanks Rapidray  :hatsoff:

I think I’ll keep it 4 layers so it’s still pocketable. And rather use a Phillips on the back.

Would be a close to a bladeless version of the Troubleshooter (Discontinued). SAKWiki image.

Would just need to remember to pair it with a folder to have a blade handy if needed, and if the location allowed.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 07:38:22 PM by Max Stone »

us Offline jph_777

Reply #12 on: August 31, 2019, 07:57:54 PM
    Max, answering your question about what is my next mod...  I'm not decided yet.  The Scientist used to be on my list, but I ran across one for a reasonable price on EBay, and decided to buy an original rather than mod it from a Compact and an Explorer.  It's in great shape as you can see in the photo below.  The SAKWiki indicates that Scientists were made from 1986 until 1999.   I believe mine is from 1991-1999 because it has a smooth corkscrew.
    I went big with modding the Yeoman WSMS, but I started modding because I really wanted a relatively small VSAK with the most functions.  My first mod was a Yeoman (3 layers). I love the Yeoman.   I also love the Compact and the Scientist for their size. 
    Another VSAK on my to do mod list is a Waiter Plus (91m).  I would just take a Compact and remove the scissors.  But, I go back and forth on that, because the Compact is so easy to carry, why lose functionality just to go to one layer?  (But I suspect I will do it someday, just to do it and have at least one single layer SAK. :D)
I also love what I've seen of everyone who has added both a Philips and a Corkscrew to their back layers... it's a very cool mod.  But since my favorites already have an in-line Philips, it may not pan out for me.
VSAK Scientist 1991-1999-3003.jpg
* VSAK Scientist 1991-1999-3003.jpg (Filesize: 317.81 KB)

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #13 on: August 31, 2019, 10:47:40 PM
Good discussion jph_777.
I do agree it’s tempting to keep adding layers, but you end up with something you can’t carry. Less is generally more, so long as the compromise is acceptable to you. Could I live with the back Phillips instead of the inline Phillips? Is maybe the Cybertool layer not a better option? Could I live without the small blade? Is the back awl OK or should I mod a Pioneer in-line awl to replace the small blade? Is the combo tool really an acceptable alternative to both opener tools? At the moment, I’m enjoying the Yeoman variations, so I may just keep on these for a while as you can introduce a number of tool variations. It’s all fun at the end of the day!  :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: August 31, 2019, 11:24:35 PM
Thanks Rapidray  :hatsoff:

I think I’ll keep it 4 layers so it’s still pocketable. And rather use a Phillips on the back.

Would be a close to a bladeless version of the Troubleshooter (Discontinued). SAKWiki image.

Would just need to remember to pair it with a folder to have a blade handy if needed, and if the location allowed.
Oh wow, nice Hoffritz!  :cheers:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #15 on: August 31, 2019, 11:31:42 PM
Sadly not mine (SAKWIki), but the more I look at it, the more I’m tempted to build one. Maybe drop it to 4 layers with a Combo Tool.  :dunno:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: September 01, 2019, 12:38:51 AM
Sadly not mine (SAKWIki), but the more I look at it, the more I’m tempted to build one. Maybe drop it to 4 layers with a Combo Tool.  :dunno:
Awww ok. I am a Hoffritz fan so it caught my attention.  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD