Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My hike pack.

Aloha · 37 · 1552

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
My hike pack.
on: August 30, 2019, 04:43:28 PM
I wanted to let y'all know what I carry when we take off into the beautiful outdoors.  The gear you see is what I keep in the pack at all times.  I replace as needed and add as needed.  What you wont see is how I carry water or clothes.  You wont see my trekking poles or food either.  When we set out we determine the need for that particular hike and pack accordingly.  I will add items but rarely if ever remove items already in the pack. 

I have added a few items that I carry in pockets or on my belt.   I wont discuss each item unless of course you have questions or want further details.  This pack is what I take on full day hikes ( 6 + hours ).  Remember I consider weather prior to heading out so if I feel I need a tarp or some shelter I take it.  Again the contents I'm showing are what live in the pack. 

I'll show my other pack that's used for hikes less than 6 hours.  Those are typically in well traveled areas ( loops ) or out and back hikes on pretty populated trails.

I'll start with my pack. 

IMG_7778.jpg
* IMG_7778.jpg (Filesize: 157.52 KB)
IMG_7779.jpg
* IMG_7779.jpg (Filesize: 204.94 KB)
IMG_7780.jpg
* IMG_7780.jpg (Filesize: 173.94 KB)
IMG_7801.jpg
* IMG_7801.jpg (Filesize: 272.13 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: My hike pack.
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 04:46:57 PM
Thats a little red LED on the back of the pack.  Its great when darkness comes and we're still on the trail.  Helps those behind me follow.  As I walk it bounces and actually is decently bright without blinding those following. 

Thats the basic contents that live in the pack.  I chose the Spirit for my MT and a little diamond/ceramic sharpener for any needed touch ups. 
IMG_7781.jpg
* IMG_7781.jpg (Filesize: 73.23 KB)
IMG_7782.jpg
* IMG_7782.jpg (Filesize: 179.21 KB)
IMG_7783.jpg
* IMG_7783.jpg (Filesize: 213.42 KB)
IMG_7784.jpg
* IMG_7784.jpg (Filesize: 195.81 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 04:49:39 PM
Always have my compass in the pack.  I'll pick up a map of the area and download one to my phone.

My fire kit.  Storm matches, Ferro rod ( orange thing ), lighter ( Bic ). 
I always carry tinder which is Jute and those cotton things ( I forget the name ) which are very flammable.  Inner tube is also great for fires.       
IMG_7785.jpg
* IMG_7785.jpg (Filesize: 214.91 KB)
IMG_7786.jpg
* IMG_7786.jpg (Filesize: 243.32 KB)
IMG_7787.jpg
* IMG_7787.jpg (Filesize: 236.77 KB)
IMG_7788.jpg
* IMG_7788.jpg (Filesize: 242.37 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 04:56:12 PM
Heres a pic of the orange Ferro rod thing.  Its actually pretty good and with the Jute it will certainly get a fire going. 

Here's what people call a ditty bag.  I like to keep things contained within my pack.  More fire kit within.  OC Farmer gets to call for this kit.  Its lives in there now as I think its best for the job.  I tend to prefer a headlamp when on the trail.  This one was inexpensive and tested while camping so its got the call for the pack, Olight H05.  Gorilla tape.  Paracord about 25 feet.  I had a mirror in there which I probably need to replace.       
IMG_7789.jpg
* IMG_7789.jpg (Filesize: 218.5 KB)
IMG_7791.jpg
* IMG_7791.jpg (Filesize: 207.43 KB)
IMG_7792.jpg
* IMG_7792.jpg (Filesize: 226.96 KB)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 05:47:58 PM by Aloha »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 04:58:29 PM
My first aid kit.  This is probably the most debated part of a hike kit.  Well, probably all the contents are heavily debated. 

I chose to bring what I feel comfortable and will likely encounter.  I have not renewed my certifications like my partner who is my companion on all hikes.  I do however feel capable to take care of most likely injuries should any happen.   
IMG_7793.jpg
* IMG_7793.jpg (Filesize: 204 KB)
IMG_7794.jpg
* IMG_7794.jpg (Filesize: 190.59 KB)
IMG_7795.jpg
* IMG_7795.jpg (Filesize: 254.11 KB)
IMG_7796.jpg
* IMG_7796.jpg (Filesize: 244 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 05:02:27 PM
More contents of First aid kit. 
IMG_7797.jpg
* IMG_7797.jpg (Filesize: 199.33 KB)
IMG_7798.jpg
* IMG_7798.jpg (Filesize: 219.66 KB)
IMG_7790.jpg
* IMG_7790.jpg (Filesize: 152.49 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 05:03:39 PM
This is some of what I like to carry on my person.  I don't carry both fixed blades, those are just ones I like.  They are small and easy to carry.  I know the HEST is very small but its a brute and within the handles is another Ferro rod and flammable cotton thing.

I always bring a whistle.  I like to have a light with strobe in my pocket.   

IMG_7800.jpg
* IMG_7800.jpg (Filesize: 227.3 KB)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 05:12:19 PM by Aloha »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 05:32:54 PM
Here are the water container I like.  The Nalgene has the holder which can somewhat keep items warm.  Its light weight and has a belt loop option for carry. 

We are fans of Hydroflask ( great customer service too  :tu: ).  Thats my partners bottle which she likes to place her paracord bracelet on it.  The rubber hose I always carry.  Nice for sips of water in crevasses ( clean sources ) and for use with my Platypus bag/bottle. 

I'm a big fan of my Camelbak.  100oz/3L bag which I can rig into my pack.  I have carried it and my pack ( not recommended ) as its annoying.     
IMG_7802.jpg
* IMG_7802.jpg (Filesize: 220.14 KB)
IMG_7803.jpg
* IMG_7803.jpg (Filesize: 234.83 KB)
IMG_7804.jpg
* IMG_7804.jpg (Filesize: 231.39 KB)
IMG_7805.jpg
* IMG_7805.jpg (Filesize: 161.27 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 07:01:39 PM
nice set up. ofc I gotta ask what is that small sharpener in the picture with the Spirit
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 07:10:55 PM
nice set up. ofc I gotta ask what is that small sharpener in the picture with the Spirit
:iagree:

I used to use Lifestraw too, but both of the ends fall off the body during transport and it felt a little flimsy to me.  Nowadays I use the Sawyer Mini which is much smaller and felt sturdier.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: August 30, 2019, 07:17:28 PM

Its branded SOG.  It has a diamond side and little ceramic rod.  I cannot recall were I got it.  While small it has been beneficial especially to my SAKs.  I have actual stones but I just didn't see the need to carry those even tho they are size of credit cards.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: August 30, 2019, 07:19:44 PM
@ comis.  The Sawyer has wonderful reviews.  While I believe the water I carry is enough the Lifestraw is peace of mind.  I need to make clear tho, I'd likely boil any water that I even hesitated to drink.  Water is the heaviest item I carry unfortunately.   
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 07:24:57 PM by Aloha »
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #12 on: August 30, 2019, 08:21:30 PM
Looks like a very thought out setup. A lot more thought out then my one. :cheers:
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: August 30, 2019, 08:33:59 PM
Thanks.  I tried to keep it simple  :think:.  I am not "hoping" to ever test out the contents but its peace of mind to have.  All to often folks head out never expecting a problem.  My number one peace of mind is letting people know my plans.  I always let a least 2 people know where I am going and when I plan to return.  If I have cell reception when I park the vehicle I let them know I arrived and will set off soon.  They always have my route so IF anything should happen I'd be good to go. 

« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 09:30:51 PM by Aloha »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sos24

Reply #14 on: August 30, 2019, 08:52:28 PM
Great pack and contents.  Thanks for sharing.

As far as water, I always have a Hydroflask with me and love them.  I’m with comis on the Sawyer Mini.  I do an Evernew or Platypus soft bottle which the mini will screw on to.  The Evernew even has a 2L with a 2nd large opening to aid in filling.  I also carry a micro dropper bottle of bleach for another purification option that takes very little space.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: August 30, 2019, 09:41:49 PM
Love the Platypus bottles  :tu:.  I'll likely pick up the Sawyer at some point.  I had purification tablets and I should really get some more.  So far I've not run out of water however I have had to fill up bottles on the trail for others  :whistle:.  Water is heavy but I dont actually mind the weight. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: August 30, 2019, 09:47:29 PM
We keep food simple.  Foil packs of tuna, salty treats, easy to eat bars of all types ( cliff, kind, nature valley ), dried fruits, dried meats (salami), if we want hot food we'll bring the GSI Soloist and MSR Pocket Rocket and dehydrated foods.  I'll bring instant coffee packs, tea, or cocoa if we think we want a hot beverage.  I've made fruit leather, dried my own fruit and made granola.  All awesome trail foods.

Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #17 on: August 30, 2019, 10:01:03 PM
Its branded SOG.  It has a diamond side and little ceramic rod.  I cannot recall were I got it.  While small it has been beneficial especially to my SAKs.  I have actual stones but I just didn't see the need to carry those even tho they are size of credit cards.   

That's why I asked. More of a touch up if needed item than anything else
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: August 30, 2019, 10:15:24 PM
Yes exactly.  Enough to realign and get back to cutting but with the different blades I have I'd be set not having it at all.  Its small so I bring it. 
Esse Quam Videri

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 31, 2019, 12:56:34 AM
Great setup! Where do you usually hike?
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: August 31, 2019, 08:08:42 AM
Thanks.  I tried to keep it simple  :think: .  I am not "hoping" to ever test out the contents but its peace of mind to have.  All to often folks head out never expecting a problem.  My number one peace of mind is letting people know my plans.  I always let a least 2 people know where I am going and when I plan to return.  If I have cell reception when I park the vehicle I let them know I arrived and will set off soon.  They always have my route so IF anything should happen I'd be good to go. 

That prep-trip planning is the best 'survival gear' anyone can have!  :cheers:

As I always say, if no one comes looking for you in a life-threatening 'survival' situation, all those gear would be pointless.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: August 31, 2019, 09:13:13 AM
Great setup.
But I have to ask...

No Mylar blanket??

us Offline Sos24

Reply #22 on: August 31, 2019, 09:39:22 AM
That prep-trip planning is the best 'survival gear' anyone can have!  :cheers:

As I always say, if no one comes looking for you in a life-threatening 'survival' situation, all those gear would be pointless.

Completely agree.  People knowing where you are going and when to expect to hear from you is very important.

Great setup.
But I have to ask...

No Mylar blanket??
I believe there is one pictured as part of the first aid kit.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: August 31, 2019, 09:45:01 AM

I believe there is one pictured as part of the first aid kit.

Aha...

Now to figure out how I missed that :facepalm:

Thanks!

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: August 31, 2019, 02:28:45 PM
Nice set up. I especially like your two choices of small fix blade knives!   :tu: :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: August 31, 2019, 03:58:47 PM
Great setup! Where do you usually hike?
Our usual hikes range from out east of us in the mountains or local loops on fairly popular trails.  If we want to get away we camp and hike the following day.  Thankfully there are more trail and day trips that we could ever do.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: August 31, 2019, 04:09:52 PM
My partner also is carrying a pack as is my daughter when she goes.  They carry similar items however there are a few differences.  My partner carries a SAM splint, wound seal, Bug spray and some things I don't.  She also likes to carry powder mixes for her water.  My daughter likes sports drinks as well as water.  She likes cashews on the trail as well.  We try to compliment our gear but keeping in mind our basics.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: August 31, 2019, 04:58:59 PM
Nice set up. I especially like your two choices of small fix blade knives!   :tu: :cheers:

Thanks.  I have several and will show others I have carried.  I believe having one is a good idea but I don't personally need a really large knife.   They are fun to fool around with for sure.  I think my largest fixed blade is 6 inches  :think:

Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: September 15, 2019, 03:53:15 PM
I just discovered this great topic, thanks for sharing, it looks well thought out  :hatsoff:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #29 on: September 15, 2019, 08:08:35 PM
I like everything in your pack.  I find no fault in your selections or your explanations for why you have each item.  I used to take weekend trips with scouts and civil air patrol cadets and I can't tell you how many times my first aid kit came out during weekend trips because nobody else had one and saved us from having to bring someone 100 miles back to town for medical care. :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%