Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why so many of the same?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Why so many of the same?
Reply #30 on: September 01, 2019, 03:51:34 AM
Some people see differences where others do not. Different release dates, tang stamps, versions of implements, such as caplifter with sharpened wire stripper, or different number of twists on the corkscrew. To me, they'd all be multiples of the same thing, but not to the hardcore collectors.

I did try collecting different Wenger Travelers for a while, but I felt uncomfortable and sold most of them. They had very significant differences, such as different scales (stainless, aluminium, wood, etc) and other noticeable differences such as serrated or clip blades, so even luddites like me can see the difference. However, I felt I was only owning them for the sake of it, and just kept the four I liked the best - each of which is quite different to the next.

There were a couple of knives where I owned a like for like spare, and just cut those own to one. The nearest I have to duplication now, is a Spirit X and Spirit RT (identical toolset, but one had a coating on the handles, and an etch on the main blade).

Some folks do have an almost compulsive need for "spares". If they see their favourite knife (or one of their favourites) at the right price, they'll get it - even if they already have fifteen others. Whether it's fear of discontinuation, investment for selling later, or no real conscious thought at all, significant differences to what they already own, subtle differences, or no difference whatsoever, our motivations all seem to differ as wildly as our tastes.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: September 01, 2019, 05:21:56 AM
Two more Camping Campers c. '80...Most wouldn't know at a glance how similar these two actually are. You're looking at the only observable production difference:

Camping inlays are really at the core of my Victorinox chronology. At least for the '70s portion.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: September 01, 2019, 09:42:55 AM
This is the most I've put together at one time, but nowhere close to the whole shebang:

(Image removed from quote.)

Lots of' 70s goodness too  :like:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: September 01, 2019, 09:47:29 AM
Two more Camping Campers c. '80...Most wouldn't know at a glance how similar these two actually are. You're looking at the only observable production difference:

Camping inlays are really at the core of my Victorinox chronology. At least for the '70s portion.

Who wouldn't prefer the inlayed one?  :tu:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: September 01, 2019, 09:59:44 AM
The only thing I've seriously collected once was stamps, and that's quite a while ago.

That means that I'm probably not aware of my current relationship with tools and knifes  :D

I never had enough money to start a serious collection. Because of that I didn't dare to put my few MT pieces to serious use... apart from my Swisschamp.

Just a couple of years ago I found my love back for them and decided to actually use them, giving them some purpose and have fun  :D

That resulted in buying at least one spare for my most used tools that I frequently carry... If they're discontinued.

So far that's the Leatherman OG Supertool and Mini Tool and Vic. OG Traveller.

To be continued...

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: September 01, 2019, 02:29:14 PM
The only thing I've seriously collected once was stamps, and that's quite a while ago.

That means that I'm probably not aware of my current relationship with tools and knifes  :D

I never had enough money to start a serious collection. Because of that I didn't dare to put my few MT pieces to serious use... apart from my Swisschamp.

Just a couple of years ago I found my love back for them and decided to actually use them, giving them some purpose and have fun  :D

That resulted in buying at least one spare for my most used tools that I frequently carry... If they're discontinued.

So far that's the Leatherman OG Supertool and Mini Tool and Vic. OG Traveller.

To be continued...
Cool...  :popcorn:

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: September 02, 2019, 05:14:27 AM
@zenderfall, some of us have a real problem with accumulating multiple examples of stuff that looks alike, but isn't, when you dive into the details anyway.  There's no real explanation or rationalization other than what's been offered in this thread.  I guess if you just don't get it, you should be thankful...   :-)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #37 on: September 02, 2019, 09:22:02 AM
@zenderfall, some of us have a real problem with accumulating multiple examples of stuff that looks alike, but isn't, when you dive into the details anyway.  There's no real explanation or rationalization other than what's been offered in this thread.  I guess if you just don't get it, you should be thankful...   :-)

One for every time zone. :dd:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: September 02, 2019, 10:18:54 AM

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: September 02, 2019, 12:46:43 PM
Nice mil watches :dd:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: September 02, 2019, 01:12:52 PM

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: September 02, 2019, 03:48:23 PM
Thanks guys.  It's kind of a weird collection that just sort of happened over many years.  Some are quite common, and some are quite rare. 

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #42 on: September 02, 2019, 05:39:53 PM
I have quite a few MiniChamps, I don't even know why.  I figure it would take a Psychologist/Psychiatrist too many billable hours to convince me why I do what I do, so I figure I'm money ahead just keeping the little buggers.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: September 03, 2019, 01:43:33 AM
Who wouldn't prefer the inlayed one?  :tu:
Most certainly!  I think that hot stamp version might be the cheapest of the bunch even though it's in the top 10% for condition.  I generally won't bother with a hot stamp if it's not in decent shape.

Lots of' 70s goodness too  :like:
  :cheers: Thanks! Every year from '73 to '79 represented at least once in that pic.

Nicely put.  Some of us have more real problems than others.  ;) :D

I have quite a few MiniChamps, I don't even know why.  I figure it would take a Psychologist/Psychiatrist too many billable hours to convince me why I do what I do, so I figure I'm money ahead just keeping the little buggers.

I could tell you, and would gladly accept payment with some of your recent acquisitions.  :rofl:
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: September 03, 2019, 02:25:34 AM
So, if you're not the collector type than all of this kind of thing is madness. I've found that certain types of personalities (like mine) tend towards collecting and that those that don't - well they tend to think the collectors are a tad strange. Whatever.

One of the best things about SAK collecting is the ability to define the parameters of your collection. I found early on I needed some guidelines around what I collect so there could be a goal - something to look forward to accomplishing. So these are the parameters I set and how I collect, in order of importance to me:
  • Collect only Victorinox 84mm and 91mm. (Later expanded to 93mm and 108mm).
  • Collect one of each model ever made (84mm done AFAIK. 91mm, 93mm, and 108mm: pretty darn close). This was, and still is, my main collecting goal.
  • For 84mm/91mm: Get one example of each model from each time period/era in my taxonomy. This taxonomy is a dating scheme I developed years ago for managing my collection and dealing with the fact that official dates from Victorinox and other sources are not really reliable. I would say this is a medium level priority for me - I tend to seek out era/period variants of the "big 4" (spartan/camper/climber/huntsman) because I can get versions of those back to 1902. For others I'm more opportunistic.
  • Collect variants within time periods. This, for me, is a low priority and something I do opportunistically. For example, I define the Post War Period as going from 1946-1951 (this is the period of the crab claw can opener). So finding a Huntsman with a crab claw can opener would check the "Has a PWAR Hunstman" box for me. Now there are many variants of the Hunstman within this time period - saw changes, scale changes, tang stamp changes, even liner changes. If I get a PWAR Huntsman for a good price that to me is "different"* and in good shape, I'll keep it (last count I had six PWAR Huntsman variants).

* So what is "different" or constitutes a variant? For me it has to be something not easily changed, so this rules out scales (especially scales post 1974 that  are easy to change). This means: major tool changes (no of saw teeth, scissor screw > rivet, clip point > spear point, wire scraper on the cap lifter), tang stamps, knife layer order.

In general, I do NOT consider scale variants to be different knives with the exception of electronic scales and alox. A version of a knife in celidor and one in alox (common with 84mm knives) would be different to me. Other than that, I can only think of a couple examples in my collection where I have the exact same model that differs only by scales (A Yeoman with plain and BSA scales, and a both the Black and Blue Beretta Cybertool variants).

For older knives, keyring/bail vs nothing and T&T vs nothing are a little bit of a grey area, but in general I don't really consider them when collecting variants. The only exception I can think of is for older Motorists and M61 Soldiers where the bail/keyring option where unusual so I do have several of them as variants.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 04:53:05 AM by jazzbass »

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: September 03, 2019, 06:10:05 AM
Here's a poorly lit photo I took real quick to illustrate my approach to collecting from the last post. To almost every sane person in the world these are all the same knife. To me, they are 16 different Motorist variants. Now this is a little extreme since the Motorist is probably my favorite knife so I tend to pick up a lot of them, but that's how a lot of my collection is.

It seems odd that a relatively thin knife that was only made for 20 years would have so many variants, but Elinox knives in the late 60s/early 70s went through a LOT of changes so this is not that uncommon. Funny thing is there are at least 3 other variants that *I know* are missing here and one questionable one that I did not include in the picture but that I do have. (I'm still trying to decide if pen blade spacers count as a variant or not. If they do, then there's #17  ::) ) However, for my collecting needs, I fulfill goal #1 (get one of every model) and goal #2 (one model from each era/period of production) and am kind of overdoing it on #3 (collect variants with periods). So for me, I don't really care that I don't have those other missing variants and don't really buy Motorists unless I get them for a good price.

For the curious - top row, L-R:

MVNT: Middle vintage, 1957-1962. Elinox knives so expect unpolished tools. Late MVNT main blades are polished, early are not.
1. MVNT Motorist

LVNT: Late Vintage, 1962-1968. Elinox knives so expect unpolished tools except main blade, NS spacer.
2. LVNT Motorist, no nick file, large Elinox, AL spacer
3. LVNT Motorist, no nick file, large Elinox, bail
4. LVNT Motorist, large Elinox, AL pen blade spacer (NS version not shown)
5. LVNT Motorist, large Elinox, bail
6. LVNT Motorist, small Elinox, bail
7. LVNT Motorist, small Elinox
8. LVNT Motorist, small Elinox, key ring

bottom row, L-R
TRAN: Transitional Period, 1969-1974. Small Elinox stamp, tools transition unpolished > polished by the end, +PAT disappears, KR replaces bail
9. TRAN Motorist, +PAT, pol cap lifter w/o scraper
10. TRAN Motorist (St Christopher on rear scale), no +PAT pol can opener, pol cap lifter with scraper, pol Philips
11. TRAN Motorist, no +PAT pol can opener, pol cap lifter with scraper, pol Philips, pol fine screwdriver
12. TRAN Motorist, no +PAT pol can opener, pol cap lifter w/o scraper, pol Philips, pol fine screwdriver
13. TRAN Motorist, no +PAT pol can opener, pol cap lifter w/o scraper, pol Philips with file, pol fine screwdriver, Victoria OS main blade, new style metal file with nail cleaner

ECLS Early Classical, 1974-1979. Elinox lines phased out for all "specialty" models, new 2.4mm blades, file with nail cleaner, all polished tools
14. ECLS Motorist, 2.4mm VSSR/Officer Suisse blade, Philips with can key, key ring, flat style file backspring
15. ECLS Motorist, 2.4mm VSSR/Officer Suisse blade, Philips with can key, key ring, bump style file backspring, 1mm divider full height divider

MCLS Mid Classical, 1980-1985. Officier Suisse blades, SS inlays, all polished, square > round can key philips transition
16. MCLS Motorist, square can key Philips, tapered awl

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 06:27:23 AM by jazzbass »

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: September 03, 2019, 01:04:47 PM
Absolutely superb, Jazzbass.  Thank you for the post and detailed explanation.

Myron

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #47 on: September 03, 2019, 01:17:33 PM
The Master has spoken   

The grasshoppers listen and absorb !

:D    :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: September 03, 2019, 03:26:48 PM
 :iagree: :hatsoff:
Esse Quam Videri

Reply #49 on: September 03, 2019, 05:36:26 PM
I could tell you, and would gladly accept payment with some of your recent acquisitions.  :rofl:
I think this is a case for me where ignorance is bliss!  :pok: :cheers: :D :D

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: October 02, 2019, 06:45:41 PM
More of the same. (but different)  :rofl:

]

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: October 02, 2019, 07:02:59 PM
 :like:
It’s Bartholomew Richard Fitzgerald-Smythe!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: October 02, 2019, 07:15:41 PM
:like:
It’s Bartholomew Richard Fitzgerald-Smythe!

:tu:  :salute:  :cheers: You know your nuts Ray!!  :rofl:

And more of the same-ness:

Copy 1:

Copy 2 (on top with PX below):

Copy 3:

All the *exact* same...but different condition on these.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: October 02, 2019, 07:22:31 PM
That mint OC is just  :drool:  :rofl:

I remembered his first name and had to google  it to find out the rest of his name.  :cheers:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: October 02, 2019, 08:09:11 PM
Why so many of the same?

In my case, only one word:

Backups

Since for me Sak's, are 95% of the time, standard red cellidor models, different scales pr colors are of little relevance. The last time i bought Climbers i ordered 3 of them exactly alike. When i bought my first Compact o ordered 2 of them.

One of the units is for EDC rotation, the others sit patiently in their boxes on a drawer waiting to be needed.

But for me this is not just a Sak thing, its a "backup OCD" thing. If i could I'd have an exact backup for everything...  :facepalm:

Don't let my wife read this though....    :ahhh:dwts:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: October 02, 2019, 10:24:07 PM
That mint OC is just  :drool:  :rofl:
:cheers: Thanks, Ray!

I remembered his first name and had to google  it to find out the rest of his name.  :cheers:

:cheers: I can barely remember the first name!

Hard part is knowing there is at least one other version to get:

:facepalm:

us Offline Frailer

Reply #56 on: October 03, 2019, 01:30:08 AM
...One of the best things about SAK collecting is the ability to define the parameters of your collection. I found early on I needed some guidelines around what I collect so there could be a goal - something to look forward to accomplishing....

Very, very well said.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #57 on: October 03, 2019, 01:56:53 AM
:cheers: Thanks, Ray!

:cheers: I can barely remember the first name!

Hard part is knowing there is at least one other version to get:

:facepalm:
Very nice one  :like: :cheers:

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: October 03, 2019, 01:57:53 AM
Very, very well said.

I think this hits upon the distinction between collecting and accumulating.   I tend to do a little of both.  Following my nose and picking up whatever strikes me for a while, and then feverishly pursuing a series or grouping for a few months.   It's a sickness, I swear.

Reply #59 on: October 03, 2019, 01:59:52 AM
:tu:  :salute:  :cheers: You know your nuts Ray!!  :rofl:

And more of the same-ness:

Copy 1:
I still covet that box, tape and all!  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%