Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why so many of the same?

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Re: Why so many of the same?
Reply #60 on: October 03, 2019, 04:12:08 AM

I think this hits upon the distinction between collecting and accumulating.   I tend to do a little of both.  Following my nose and picking up whatever strikes me for a while, and then feverishly pursuing a series or grouping for a few months.  It's a sickness, I swear.

You and me both.  I only pretend there are limits to what I'd collect.  :ahhh

I still covet that box, tape and all!  :cheers:

I'm sure you'll find one even minty-er! This one has too much 'character'.  :D
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: October 03, 2019, 04:28:18 AM
For example, I have a handful of 'original' Woodsman 236 and 236U...though not even one of my favorites, or even on the 'list'.

But when I saw this:

:gimme: was the only reaction.

The only reason I didn't end up with it is that I underestimated it's market value... :oops:

Strangely, the only real value to me was that it 'proves' my point about old names and how far back they were used...there are other models from this era that I'd prefer for the same purpose.

s-l1600-3790.jpg
* s-l1600-3790.jpg (Filesize: 77.33 KB)
s-l1600-3791.jpg
* s-l1600-3791.jpg (Filesize: 91.73 KB)
s-l1600-3792.jpg
* s-l1600-3792.jpg (Filesize: 85.97 KB)
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: October 03, 2019, 01:04:52 PM
I can think of several reasons for ending up with a significant number of duplicates:
  • One is so fond of a particular model that one wishes to ensure a lifetime supply.

A lifetime supply? That would have to be one hell of a heavy duty user/collector  :rofl:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #63 on: October 03, 2019, 03:27:28 PM
So many still isn't enough...

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: October 03, 2019, 05:29:42 PM
A lifetime supply? That would have to be one hell of a heavy duty user/collector  :rofl:

Check.

Yes. I have Marlboro Troubleshooters just for that reason. Can't even tell you how many.  Heaviest use is on the cap lifter as a pry bar, primarily for rebuilding and fixing SAKs. Does a lot of damage to the tools in very short time. And I do a lot of regrinding, forging and polishing in-between, before I move on to the next one.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #65 on: October 03, 2019, 05:30:55 PM
 :rofl:
Never enough...always that one more!

us Offline Frailer

Reply #66 on: October 03, 2019, 05:42:27 PM

I think this hits upon the distinction between collecting and accumulating.   I tend to do a little of both.  Following my nose and picking up whatever strikes me for a while, and then feverishly pursuing a series or grouping for a few months.   It's a sickness, I swear.

Based on this description I'd say you and I are cut from the same cloth.

I tip my hat to the serious collectors we have here, and I *love* seeing the photographs of the beautiful knives they own, but I already have more than enough expensive hobbies to do more than dip my toes in the collecting waters.

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #67 on: October 03, 2019, 07:29:24 PM
I have about 75 SAKs, no duplicates except some 58mm.
Many of them get carried and used.
I´m more a hoarder than a collector, buying more SAKs when I ´need´ them but not getting rid of the ones I don´t use anymore.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: October 03, 2019, 09:18:00 PM
This sounds familiar.  I'm probably up around 100, but seem to carry the same 5 or 6 everyday. 

These days I love finding nice BYSAKs for friends and family.   

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: October 04, 2019, 09:55:21 AM
The pretties makes us happy. Go away with your questions.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: October 04, 2019, 06:56:04 PM
The pretties makes us happy. Go away with your questions.
:tu:
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #71 on: October 04, 2019, 08:14:09 PM
 :iagree:
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: October 05, 2019, 08:49:04 AM
I agree in part, always thought the basic Red SAK loses its appeal when it’s photographed in a mountain of other Red SAKs
The image of the seemingly never ending TSA confiscations that are listed on eBay whereby a job lot is offered does absolutely nothing for me, in fact it makes me think collecting is rather sad.
Yet a single picture of close up detail gets my attention every time.

The only sak I own multiples of are the Wenger Realtree series. Both Snows and Blaze - I just love them, which is profoundly sad!!
 :D
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #73 on: October 05, 2019, 12:06:32 PM
The only sak I own multiples of are the Wenger Realtree series. Both Snows and Blaze
- I just love them, which is profoundly sad!!
 :D
No ........ It's just what floats your boat

Gotta say I agree with you on that one
- After the merger I was really hoping that Vic would continue that franchise for the Rangers - But no such luck    :(

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: October 22, 2019, 06:16:49 PM
Because I need a 'fixer' to go with my pretty one?

us Offline cody6268

Reply #75 on: October 22, 2019, 06:34:35 PM
Because I need a 'fixer' to go with my pretty one?

(Image removed from quote.)

Fix the problems, and you've got a gorgeous user!  :like:     Wondering what scissors could be used for parts?  Oldest SAK I own with scissors is pretty much what's a Ranger today, and it's '57-61.

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #76 on: October 22, 2019, 07:21:53 PM
For me it's partly back up and partly "just because".  I won't buy a SAK just because I don't have that model, I buy because I like and will use it and the price is right. I like Pioneers, Cadets, Tourists, Spartans, Tinkers, Super Tinkers, Climbers, Hikers, Campers, Huntsman &  Fieldmasters. I have at least 2 of each and some I have as many a 4, "just because"  I like them.
Perception is reality

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: October 23, 2019, 04:31:38 PM
Fix the problems, and you've got a gorgeous user!  :like:     Wondering what scissors could be used for parts?  Oldest SAK I own with scissors is pretty much what's a Ranger today, and it's '57-61.

For me, that's always the thinking with broken ones that aren't just for parts. Scissors would be the worst part to replace, but either a whole assembly otherwise I'd try with more modern 84mm.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #78 on: October 23, 2019, 11:35:58 PM
I just don't understand why anyone would need more than one MultiTool or SAK. Aren't they all the same thing? Knife with screwdrivers and/or pliers with screwdrivers.

:whistle:

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: October 29, 2019, 09:03:39 PM
More Same.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #80 on: October 29, 2019, 09:07:58 PM
For me, that's always the thinking with broken ones that aren't just for parts. Scissors would be the worst part to replace, but either a whole assembly otherwise I'd try with more modern 84mm.

Victorinox gave me the old scissors back (which had a broken return spring; and the screw had been replaced with a poor repair using a brass pin/wire) when I sent in my 1960s 84mm Craftsman/Artisan for repair due to those scissors.   I don't know if they'd be of any use on such an old knife, but I'd be more than happy to send them to you if you'd think they'd work. My plans were to fix them (by putting in a new screw and spring) and put them into a Cadet using an additional blade backspring, but I'm not sure that would work.  They're just languishing in a junk drawer right now.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #81 on: October 30, 2019, 12:06:34 AM
More Same.

Very nice...especially the Elinox!  :cheers:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #82 on: October 30, 2019, 02:25:07 AM
I just don't understand why anyone would need more than one MultiTool or SAK.
Aren't they all the same thing? Knife with screwdrivers and/or pliers with screwdrivers.
:iagree:    :D    :o    So how come I have a hundred SAKs (maybe a couple of hundred now) and over a dozen LMs ?   ???    :think:    :dunno:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #83 on: October 30, 2019, 05:08:15 AM
:iagree:    :D    :o    So how come I have a hundred SAKs (maybe a couple of hundred now) and over a dozen LMs ?   ???    :think:    :dunno:
:whistle:  >:D

:rofl:

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: October 30, 2019, 06:57:09 PM
Victorinox gave me the old scissors back (which had a broken return spring; and the screw had been replaced with a poor repair using a brass pin/wire) when I sent in my 1960s 84mm Craftsman/Artisan for repair due to those scissors.   I don't know if they'd be of any use on such an old knife, but I'd be more than happy to send them to you if you'd think they'd work. My plans were to fix them (by putting in a new screw and spring) and put them into a Cadet using an additional blade backspring, but I'm not sure that would work.  They're just languishing in a junk drawer right now.

:cheers: Thanks for the offer Cody...but I didn't end up with that knife. It sold on a best offer while I was thinking about what I'd offer for it.  And besides that, I've got period correct donors if need be. I buy a fair amount of smurfed up crap for parts.

Very nice...especially the Elinox!  :cheers:
:cheers: Thanks, RR!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: November 05, 2019, 03:35:14 AM
Because I don't want them all to look like the bottom knife?  :dunno:

There are at least a few more of these stored MIB.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: November 13, 2019, 04:35:22 PM
Same but different.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #87 on: November 13, 2019, 04:47:39 PM
Nice collection of Coke!  :cheers:

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: November 13, 2019, 05:35:49 PM
So nice kamakiri  :like: :drool: :drool: :drool:
The Vikings say "when your battle axe is to short do one step forward"

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: November 13, 2019, 06:06:26 PM
 :cheers: Thanks for your support of my 'same' problem!  :salute:

Sad thing is I still want another Spartan...and that I was too lazy to get the NIB bantam out for the picture.  :facepalm:

The Spartan is 'too nice' to use for an only copy...so I gotta find a perfectly minty one or a real user. Sigh.

And I didn't think the other style of Coke inlay would work in the shot. Not same enough.  :rofl:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%