Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ozark Trail MULTIFORCE - A Leatherman Inspired Multitool

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Re: Ozark Trail MULTIFORCE - A Leatherman Inspired Multitool
Reply #60 on: January 17, 2020, 07:46:56 AM
Nope the bitdriver has fine magnets. It just only works with double ended bits, which I bought plenty of.

I’ve been using a multiforce as my EDC since dec 22nd. I wanted to give it a full month of use. I really liked how my original tool was loosening up and getting smoother to open and close. As parts wear against each other the action get smoother. Even if I tightened the pivots I could still tell the action was smoother.

Overall I really like this tool, and I may end up having a hard time going back to a bladeless Mp600

Charles.

Offline Eslider

• New User
Reply #61 on: February 01, 2020, 01:23:43 PM
I picked up the OT multi force a couple weeks ago, on a impulse buy. Been using it at work everyday. So far its been working great.

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: February 20, 2020, 02:36:10 PM
Nope the bitdriver has fine magnets. It just only works with double ended bits, which I bought plenty of.

I’ve been using a multiforce as my EDC since dec 22nd. I wanted to give it a full month of use. I really liked how my original tool was loosening up and getting smoother to open and close. As parts wear against each other the action get smoother. Even if I tightened the pivots I could still tell the action was smoother.

Overall I really like this tool, and I may end up having a hard time going back to a bladeless Mp600

Charles.

Thats quite an endorsement, The only long term concern I have are the springs that hold the pliers open, as long as they remain strong, this tool will rock. 

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: February 20, 2020, 11:19:28 PM
Continuing to use it regularly, though my mp600 is back in rotation. I always come back to the mp600 because the blunt nosed jaws open so wide. If I need pliers as my primary tool, I always go for the Gerber. If easily accessible blades, saws, and drivers are needed, I do pick up the Ozark. If I think I'll need a screwdriver most, I grab the Center Drive -- though I've been using it less since breaking the combo prybar/opener tool and Gerber refusing me warranty repairs or even paid repairs because I modded the tool.

Ozark is top 3 or 4 in rotation.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: May 04, 2020, 11:31:02 PM
So, I used this yesterday and really beat the snot out of it. I also used my WorkPro multitool, and the MultiForce was far better.

So, first thing I did was pry. The flat driver in the Ozark Trail Multiforce is beefy AF. It did not bend or break, it never felt like it was abotu to fail, and it did remarkably well. It was narrow and tapered enough to get an edge, and strong enough to do the prying.

The WorkPro I have is the nice model with the scissors. This one: https://www.amazon.com/WORKPRO-Multitool-Locking-Cutters-Stainless/dp/B07PGNJ61P

The flat driver is far thinner, and the edges are rounded. So It was harder to get an edge to pry. Once I did, the driver flexed, and I was afraid I was going to break it, so I backed off and went back to the Ozark trail.

So, I realized i needed to clear more silicone out around the woofer I was trying to unglue and pry out. I used the flat driver on the Multiforce as a scraper. Holding it vertically, I scraped back and forth around the edge of the speaker and the round opening in the cabinet. I was scraping out a narrow 1-2mm channel, as if removing grout from between tiles. No problems at all with the MultiForce. The edges of the driver are sharp and got that silicone out easily. The tool remained locked and never collapsed.

Then comes the WorkPro. It completely failed at this task. First off the edges of the driver are rounded, so it didn't bite into the silicone as easily. But where it really fails is this: When you squeeze the handles of the WorkPro tightly, the pliers press against the internal metal plates and flex them. These plates are part of the locking mechanism. Squeezing the tool tightly unloads the individual tool locks, and the flat driver immediately collapsed. Over and over again, back and forth scraping action caused an almost immediate collapse of the flat driver.

Upon looking at this more closely, even the big knife blade will collapse if you're squeezing the handles tightly. It barely takes any force at all on the open tool. Just grasp it and wiggle it and it will come unlocked. It's also not like I've got gorilla strength either. I'm squeezing the tool normally, as one would do when tackling a heavy-duty situation.

While I initially liked the WorkPro design, and lauded it for being something new and different,... in practice, the Ozark Trail Multi Force is better in every conceivable way. Except price. The Ozark is still $38, and the WorkPro is $20 less on Amazon.

I guess the WorkPro is still pretty good for an $18 tool, but it's no longer in my rotation at all after that test.

I guess what I'm saying is that the Ozark Trail MultiForce is a great buy at $38. It excelled at a task that very nearly broke a "heavy duty" budget competitor.

It excelled at a task at a $38 price point, and there is no Leatherman at that price point which could survive that. My Wingman is a $60 tool, doesn't have locking drivers (so the scraping would be impossible), and the driver is far too thin to be put to any use as a pry tool. Overall a solid win for the MultiForce.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: May 05, 2020, 09:08:52 PM
So, I used this yesterday and really beat the snot out of it. I also used my WorkPro multitool, and the MultiForce was far better.

So, first thing I did was pry. The flat driver in the Ozark Trail Multiforce is beefy AF. It did not bend or break, it never felt like it was abotu to fail, and it did remarkably well. It was narrow and tapered enough to get an edge, and strong enough to do the prying.

The WorkPro I have is the nice model with the scissors. This one: https://www.amazon.com/WORKPRO-Multitool-Locking-Cutters-Stainless/dp/B07PGNJ61P

The flat driver is far thinner, and the edges are rounded. So It was harder to get an edge to pry. Once I did, the driver flexed, and I was afraid I was going to break it, so I backed off and went back to the Ozark trail.

So, I realized i needed to clear more silicone out around the woofer I was trying to unglue and pry out. I used the flat driver on the Multiforce as a scraper. Holding it vertically, I scraped back and forth around the edge of the speaker and the round opening in the cabinet. I was scraping out a narrow 1-2mm channel, as if removing grout from between tiles. No problems at all with the MultiForce. The edges of the driver are sharp and got that silicone out easily. The tool remained locked and never collapsed.

Then comes the WorkPro. It completely failed at this task. First off the edges of the driver are rounded, so it didn't bite into the silicone as easily. But where it really fails is this: When you squeeze the handles of the WorkPro tightly, the pliers press against the internal metal plates and flex them. These plates are part of the locking mechanism. Squeezing the tool tightly unloads the individual tool locks, and the flat driver immediately collapsed. Over and over again, back and forth scraping action caused an almost immediate collapse of the flat driver.

Upon looking at this more closely, even the big knife blade will collapse if you're squeezing the handles tightly. It barely takes any force at all on the open tool. Just grasp it and wiggle it and it will come unlocked. It's also not like I've got gorilla strength either. I'm squeezing the tool normally, as one would do when tackling a heavy-duty situation.

While I initially liked the WorkPro design, and lauded it for being something new and different,... in practice, the Ozark Trail Multi Force is better in every conceivable way. Except price. The Ozark is still $38, and the WorkPro is $20 less on Amazon.

I guess the WorkPro is still pretty good for an $18 tool, but it's no longer in my rotation at all after that test.

I guess what I'm saying is that the Ozark Trail MultiForce is a great buy at $38. It excelled at a task that very nearly broke a "heavy duty" budget competitor.

It excelled at a task at a $38 price point, and there is no Leatherman at that price point which could survive that. My Wingman is a $60 tool, doesn't have locking drivers (so the scraping would be impossible), and the driver is far too thin to be put to any use as a pry tool. Overall a solid win for the MultiForce.

Charles.

Mic Drop!

thats impressive. My only real concern for failure comes from the area of the plier springs, but if those hold the tool is a beast and for 40 unbeatable imo..

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: May 05, 2020, 10:13:44 PM
Plier springs? The multiforce is not a spring-loaded design. The workpro is.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: May 06, 2020, 09:06:49 PM
Plier springs? The multiforce is not a spring-loaded design. The workpro is.

Charles.

Sorry, I mean those metal flaps that lock into the plier when the pliers are fully open. This is a possibility that the plier head slips off the stop under extreme pressure.

I was actually wondering if the multiforce had crapped out on you, to hear its still going strong gives me lots of confidence to recommend it.

:cheers: :cheers:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #68 on: June 16, 2020, 01:25:14 AM
I still want one but I'm still waiting to find it discounted or second hand.  $38.00 is a used Leatherman Wave so there's no point to the Ozark Trail as far as I'm concerned, until I find it cheaper. :whistle:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #69 on: June 16, 2020, 05:55:27 AM
I wonder what the folks at Leatherman think of this tool, especially how the long tools pivot the other way compared to the Wave.

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: June 29, 2020, 12:13:12 AM
Sweet. Like five people are getting these for Christmas :)

Charles.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #73 on: June 29, 2020, 05:00:17 PM
I still want one but I'm still waiting to find it discounted or second hand.  $38.00 is a used Leatherman Wave so there's no point to the Ozark Trail as far as I'm concerned, until I find it cheaper. :whistle:

And the Wave still has LM's warranty. Do the Ozark Trail and Mossy Oak tools have warranties--I don't think they even do.  That being said, I do like how the tool has a bit driver; and the Mossy Oak is $10 cheaper than the Walmart version.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: June 29, 2020, 11:47:59 PM
And the Wave still has LM's warranty. Do the Ozark Trail and Mossy Oak tools have warranties--I don't think they even do.  That being said, I do like how the tool has a bit driver; and the Mossy Oak is $10 cheaper than the Walmart version.

Where are you guys getting full sized tools at these prices? I'm asking, for a friend....  :whistle:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: June 30, 2020, 06:50:34 AM
I was able to get my broken Multiforce replaced after calling walmart's returns number. They authorized an exchange at my local walmart. It was a hassle, because none of the employees knew anything except one manager, who immediately left to go do something else while I had to track down some smurfwit to open the display case in sporting goods (that took like 45 minutes). But once I had the tool back at the desk they authorized the exchange... once they tracked down that manager again.

So it wasn't ideal, but I did get a warranty replacement after I .... erm... abused the tool a bit too hard and broke one of the plier tips prying something I had no business prying.

Don't forget, to outfit a brand new wave with a case that holds a bit adapter, a pocket clip, and a bit adapter ends up being $100 more expensive than the multiforce, which comes with all of that. That's a lot of money to pay for a warranty. That's... roughly cost of three of the new multiforces. And I like the Multiforce better, TBH.

Now we just need to see if the new Mossy Oak branded tools have the same quality as the Ozark Trail versions.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: July 09, 2020, 06:14:00 PM
I was able to get my broken Multiforce replaced after calling walmart's returns number. They authorized an exchange at my local walmart. It was a hassle, because none of the employees knew anything except one manager, who immediately left to go do something else while I had to track down some smurfwit to open the display case in sporting goods (that took like 45 minutes). But once I had the tool back at the desk they authorized the exchange... once they tracked down that manager again.

So it wasn't ideal, but I did get a warranty replacement after I .... erm... abused the tool a bit too hard and broke one of the plier tips prying something I had no business prying.

Don't forget, to outfit a brand new wave with a case that holds a bit adapter, a pocket clip, and a bit adapter ends up being $100 more expensive than the multiforce, which comes with all of that. That's a lot of money to pay for a warranty. That's... roughly cost of three of the new multiforces. And I like the Multiforce better, TBH.

Now we just need to see if the new Mossy Oak branded tools have the same quality as the Ozark Trail versions.

Charles.

wow...thats crazy...I know it was a hastle...but still way faster than other warranties..which mossy oak are you referring too??

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: July 10, 2020, 01:27:59 AM
He is referring to the Mossy Oak branded Multiforce

WOOOOW,

even cheaper! but after I heard the return story I think the extra 4ish dollars is worth buying from wall mart. Can anyone outside the states confirm if this is purchasable for them? I would love to know as I get asked about it somewhat regularly.

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: July 10, 2020, 01:34:55 AM
 Do note that Walmart has been slowly running out of stock on these. I have seen the numbers go down at all of my local Walmarts, and they never get new ones in. Perhaps they have no new stock of the Ozark trail branded item, to make way for the mossy oak.

Now that it has an actual mossy oak brand-name, the warranty is a lot easier to handle. Just go here and fill out the form: https://www.mowarranty.com/

Charles.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: July 10, 2020, 04:19:57 AM
WOOOOW,

even cheaper! but after I heard the return story I think the extra 4ish dollars is worth buying from wall mart. Can anyone outside the states confirm if this is purchasable for them? I would love to know as I get asked about it somewhat regularly.

UK here, Amazon won't ship it here (they do with other things though).
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: July 10, 2020, 06:49:54 PM
UK here, Amazon won't ship it here (they do with other things though).
LAAAAAME!!! :rant: :rant: :rant:

On a side note...I just discovered another awesome modification you can do with this because the frame scales are remoable...I am going to remove the outside long tools from one side so that I can both slim the tool down AND remove the most mediocre of the implements (file/serrated blade). it should also reduce the weight by a bit as well.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: July 15, 2020, 02:23:32 PM
If you country have access to AliExpress, this is available.

#Aliexpress SG$ 23.86  51%OFF | MOSSY OAK 17 in 1 Multi Plier Wire Stripper Folding Plier Outdoor Camping Multitool  Pocket Mini Portable Folding Pliers
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dYfS9Fb

us Offline 43north89west

• Tool Dabbler, Beer Dribbler
Reply #84 on: July 15, 2020, 03:50:28 PM
Wow!

$30 is a great price for this tool!

Just went to Amazon to link this to someone asking for a cheap EDC multitool and looks like the price is already up to $39.99  :-\

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: July 15, 2020, 07:04:26 PM
Yup, saw that too. Actually, a lot of stuff in my amazon cart increased in price over the last week. Wonder what's up with that.

I used my Multiforce last night when working on a door that I had previously taken apart to paint. (I took the glass out so I could spray paint the plastic trim and paint the door itself without having to mask anything off). I used the drill to seat the screws, and then the multiforce to make sure they were all tight. Multiforce with adapter to screw the doorknob back on... but somehow the doorknob broke (won't lock or unlock) when I took it off... so off to Lowes for a new doorknob today. I didn't like the brass knob anyways, and this way I can have it keyed to my house key now.

Charles.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #86 on: July 18, 2020, 12:09:43 AM
Is the Mossey Oak tool on AliExpress the same as the one you guys were looking at on Amazon?  Because the link to the tool on Amazon now gives you one of those "Sorry, page no longer available" messages.

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: July 18, 2020, 01:45:38 AM
D'oh. I see that too. I was going to buy one to see if the quality was the same. Maybe it'll come around again.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: July 30, 2020, 04:38:28 PM
D'oh. I see that too. I was going to buy one to see if the quality was the same. Maybe it'll come around again.

Charles.

I cant see why the one on ali would be any different. plus its camo which looks very cool. and only $25??!!?!?1

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: July 30, 2020, 07:29:02 PM
Sorry, I think camo is laaaaame and none of my friends or family are the military/hunting wannabe types. They won’t appreciate camo, even if the tool is otherwise awesome.

Did anyone end up getting one of the mossy oak models from amazon?

Charles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD