Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Idea For Multitool with Replaceable Parts

Offline gadgetman7

Idea For Multitool with Replaceable Parts
on: August 29, 2019, 10:34:10 AM
I wonder why no one has produced a pliers based multitool with adaptors for blades and bits. Leatherman and Gerber have the parts but have never put them together.

A pliers based multitool with a T shank adapter, 1/4” bit driver, utility blade holder and replaceable wire cutters on the pliers would be great. It would also be TSA friendly and could be carried most anywhere.

They could even sell specially adapted tools like an awl for the bit driver. You could build in storage and sell a kit with extra parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: Idea For Multitool with Replaceable Parts
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 12:24:47 AM
I've thought about the same earlier and looked at each one. Without really remembering all the details I think the big picture was along these lines:

T-shank adapter: Fairly easy to do well and compact at that. Also a great variety of various of tools available - mainly saws, but also some files and knives. The main issue is that most of those tools are made to be used with a power tool. Few seem stiff enough for manual use, and the frequency one can achieve manually is far less than the power tools they are made for.

1/4" bit driver: Takes some width, and needs a center position on a generally straight tool to be used properly. Very flexible though with lots of inserts widely available. It is kind of useless though without bits, and the right ones at that, so those will take some space as well - and that space is not available inside of normal sized multi-tools. Still, a great option.

Utility blade holder: There are many utility blade standards but the most available is Stanleys. The holder can be made quite compact at about 4mm width, and again there is a varity of options for the blades themselves. It does make a lot of sense for say a urban work tool. The main issues it the height it requires which limits it as an option for high handles. Smaller blades than Stanleys is an option of course, but then less choice and not widely available.

Scalpel blades: I'll just add that one as I looked at that too, and it is in the same general direction as the others. Fairly compact holder with lots of cheap sharp blades available, and in several size standards too. Not very sturdy blades though (unlike utility blades), and not long enough blades for general stuff. Thus mostly for precision cutting. A multi-tool is also a rather clumsy handle compared to the thin sleek handles they are normally attached to.

Replaceable wire cutters: The main problem is that multi-tools don't have proper cutter geometry in the first place and thus get damaged easily. I'd prefer a solution with proper cutters that do the job, rather than fixes for when it couldn't. (That might be harsh as it will work for lots of things, but you get the idea).

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 10:45:04 AM
Valid points.

I have found that the Gerber Center Drive works very well and it does have an extra bit on board unlike the Leatherman models.

I’ve used a Surge for years and have never had an issue with the t shank adapters. I use the saws frequently in minor construction and they have never failed me. Also, the flexibility of the choices allow for metal saws.

Utility blades are tall but if the tool were designed to incorporate them it could be doable. This is the one area that would require additional experimentation.

One of the benefits of this approach is that the tool could be adapted to environments that are not blade friendly. Also, the tool could be adapted to jobs that require different tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 03:35:32 AM
The leap is close as you can remove the blade, but yes should have utility blades. Check out havalon Evolve, that's basically what u are looking for.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 12:32:08 PM
I’ve used a Surge for years and have never had an issue with the t shank adapters. I use the saws frequently in minor construction and they have never failed me. Also, the flexibility of the choices allow for metal saws.

There sure is a lot of choice, and the holder can be compact. When considering this though I tested some random t-shank saws I had laying around, and of those only one worked fairly well for me manually. I do assume other working ones can be found so with some exploration one might get a decent and varied kit. And of course I might just be useless at whatever technique it takes.  :dunno:

Utility blades are tall but if the tool were designed to incorporate them it could be doable. This is the one area that would require additional experimentation.

There are utility knives with additional functions though without pliers. I think I've seen some in various websites tracking back to the middle kingdom. I do like that concept as it makes a lot of sense for some jobs.

One of the benefits of this approach is that the tool could be adapted to environments that are not blade friendly. Also, the tool could be adapted to jobs that require different tools.

Indeed, and that is a proper upside. (The potential downside if you need change very often is that it is likely a bigger and heavier solution overall than one with similar fixed tools).

I did like to bring up the 1/8" /  4mm screwdriver bit standard too as it makes a lot of sense for compact multitools. It is an official standard worldwide with bits available everywhere and in every nuance. The holder and bits are lighter and takes less space compared to a 1/4". And most importantly they still cover all the usual bit sizes in a normal household/ bicycle/ car setting.   
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%