Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Case Knives

spudley112 · 2596 · 61007

us Online LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Case Knives
Reply #2220 on: December 03, 2022, 03:22:21 AM
That is beauty, it had been waiting its whole life just for you😉

I luv the wood grain. That is so nice. 
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #2221 on: December 03, 2022, 05:22:20 AM
I decided to keep it.
You chose wisely. The 11031SH is a real looker! :like:
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2222 on: December 03, 2022, 04:08:48 PM
That is beauty, it had been waiting its whole life just for you😉

I luv the wood grain. That is so nice.

:iagree: Well said.  Congrats on this one. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #2223 on: December 03, 2022, 05:06:05 PM
I’d love to just find an old wood case and restore it, when working in the field I’ve found two knives, one might be a case idk, the one I know is a kabar, both folding yet both yellow plastic, I know the one because I was doing some work and I reached up into the joists to run something, could have been pipe, electrical line I don’t remember, but something caught my eye just packed up and in, so I reached for it and it was a funky folding knife and it said kabar, and I’m like huh, kabars are military blades. :think: Never really did anything after that besides just did some cleaning on it, I just didn’t like the color yellow, same with the other one, I don’t remember the name, I’ll have to dig them out and take pics
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2224 on: December 03, 2022, 05:14:32 PM
Yes dig them out and take a look.  Neat finds.  I like the Case Yellow. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2225 on: December 03, 2022, 05:40:35 PM
Yes dig them out and take a look.  Neat finds.  I like the Case Yellow.
Like I said idk if it’s a case I don’t remember a fancy name besides kabar, and was like :think:
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2226 on: December 03, 2022, 06:07:39 PM
When ya locate them I'm interested.  Ka-bar has a long history and yes the knife and company had become synonymous with a particular knife.  The USMC fighting knife. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2227 on: December 03, 2022, 06:57:06 PM
When ya locate them I'm interested.  Ka-bar has a long history and yes the knife and company had become synonymous with a particular knife.  The USMC fighting knife.
I know one is downstairs in my one special storage bucket, but I can’t get down there till the kids up,
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2228 on: December 03, 2022, 09:20:30 PM
Nope, not a case, the one is a Ka-bar, but the other is a Hammer? Personally I’ve never heard of either besides kabar military’s, like the usaf Ontario 499,
JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2229 on: December 03, 2022, 09:51:32 PM
Very cool. 

Hammer is an old brand originally trade marked by New York Knife Co.  Then bought by Schrade.  I also have a Hammer trad. 

Couple oldies ya got there. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2230 on: December 03, 2022, 09:52:48 PM
Opps hit send.  The KA Bar looks like celluloid.  The Hammer looks like mother of toilet seat. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2231 on: December 03, 2022, 10:03:08 PM
Very cool. 

Hammer is an old brand originally trade marked by New York Knife Co.  Then bought by Schrade.  I also have a Hammer trad. 

Couple oldies ya got there.
I haven’t got the slightest clue of them, the hammer has a little piece of that toilet seat missing on the one side, and again I always thought kabar was military
JR

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #2232 on: December 04, 2022, 06:34:14 AM
Ka-Bar is arguably best known for their USMC knives, but they did produce knives for the civilian market (and still do). The Ka-Bar looks to be in decent shape, but keep an eye on it. Decomposing celluloid can ruin a knife. I suspect the Hammer may have a modified secondary blade, but it would be a good user. Nice finds!
USN 2000-2006

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2233 on: December 05, 2022, 01:44:14 AM
Through a missed listing on the the bay the Lockwood knife I thought I won turned out to be a new never used or sharpened Case 6 Dot (1974) 11031 SH . Contacted the seller and he said I could keep it or return it for a refund. This knife has excellent old time Case quality. 1974 was the years I graduated from high school so I decided to keep it. It'll go good with my old XX era 11031 SHCC

That's a beauty David.   :hatsoff:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #2234 on: January 06, 2023, 05:36:11 AM
Case Marilla

I’d been meaning to try one of Case’s “modern” knives, and when I saw they were offering one in CPM 20CV, I jumped on it.

I really want to like this knife, and Case did some nice things with it, but there are also a couple of glaring issues…

Pros:

- F&F and W&T

- Handle shape/ergonomics in hand - the shape of the handle is comfortable and really locks the knife into my hand, in spite of its relatively thin profile

- Action - flips open easily with just the index finger (no wrist flick required), no blade play in either open or closed positions, no concerns with accidental opening

- Blade shape - comes to an acute point while offering plenty of belly

- Premium steel

Cons:

- G10 panel - I understand Case was trying to provide some texture on what would otherwise be a smooth (even slick) anodized aluminum handle, but the panel isn’t flush with the rest of the handle (sits slightly proud) and the texture is too aggressive.  Some light texturing of the aluminum similar to Maglite or Vic 93 mm alox would have been much better, and could have been applied to virtually the entire handle instead of a small patch.

- Huge protruding screw heads on the screws that hold the pocket clip on (see last pic) - This seems like such a rookie mistake, and it really interferes with using the pocket clip.  Screws should have been countersunk so they sat flush with the handle.  This is one of those things that make me ask, “Didn’t you build a prototype and have someone carry and use it for a week before putting it into full production?”

I’ve modified the pocket clip on my Marilla.  It essentially just hangs on the edge of a pocket now, but that’s perfectly fine for my use.  I won’t be parachuting out of airplanes with it clipped to my gear or anything of that nature.  This modification pretty much negates the issue with the pocket clip screw heads.

With this change, I’ve actually been carrying it quite a bit lately.  The blade continues to impress, and to confirm my initial impressions.  It’s really a terribly useful shape, and has easily handled cable ties, cigars, various packaging…pretty much everything I’ve managed to throw at it, with no sign of dulling or damage.

* IMG_0787.jpg (Filesize: 78.23 KB)

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #2235 on: January 16, 2023, 10:08:40 PM
That's a nice looking knife nate :like: how are you liking that Marilla, I haven't seen any yet and haven't had the chance to try one out

* IMG_20230116_160422.jpg (Filesize: 405.66 KB)
Send In the spartans

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2236 on: January 16, 2023, 10:48:29 PM
Great photo of the Trapper Spartan.  :hatsoff:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #2237 on: January 17, 2023, 05:58:57 AM
That's a nice looking knife nate :like: how are you liking that Marilla, I haven't seen any yet and haven't had the chance to try one out
Thanks Noah.  Overall, I like it and have been carrying it a fair amount lately.  My thoughts are pretty much laid out in my previous two posts about the Marilla in this thread, but to summarize.
- The blade shape is fantastic.  Strong but acute point, continuous curve with plenty of belly.
- Mine came razor sharp out of the box, and has handled everything from cigars to various packaging to cable ties without batting an eye.
- This is the CPM 20CV version; the S35VN version is identical except for the steel, but is more common, less expensive, and has more handle color options.
- The knife flips open quickly and fairly smoothly with the integral flipper, and with the liner lock is easy to close one handed.
- One of my major complaints was that the large screw heads on the pocket clip interfered with using the pocket clip.  However, by bending the pocket clip out I fixed that problem, with the trade off that it doesn’t really grip the pocket anymore (rather just hangs on the edge of the pocket).
- My other complaint is that, while the G10 grip panel provides some welcome traction on what might otherwise be a slick anodized aluminum handle, I don’t feel it was executed as well as it could have been.  I would have preferred they skip the G10 altogether and instead provide some texturing of the aluminum handle, which would have looked better, felt better, and could have covered virtually the whole handle.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #2238 on: January 29, 2023, 10:01:31 PM
Couple of recent acquisitions:

Peanut in peach seed jigged brown bone

Small pen in smooth black synthetic

red Marilla in S35VN

* IMG_0866.jpg (Filesize: 215.44 KB)

us Offline David

Reply #2239 on: January 29, 2023, 11:07:19 PM
Nice Case knives Nate!    :like:
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2240 on: January 30, 2023, 02:20:37 AM
A couple of beauties Nate.  :hatsoff:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2241 on: January 30, 2023, 03:53:21 AM
Nice selection. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #2242 on: January 30, 2023, 04:49:10 AM
Thanks guys!  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2243 on: February 01, 2023, 03:18:41 AM
In the last several days I've spent time with my Case knives.  I have come to really appreciate the brand.  One thing I realized is I enjoy carrying a knife with some history.  It doesn't have to be my history to make it fun to carry.  I also love taking on others knives either thru trade or sale. 

Here are two such knives.  One is a Coke Bottle and the other I got from Dan thru trade. The Copperhead is a patter I've come to really love.  I use my SS in the kitchen like any knife.  I use carbon for most everything else. 

* IMG_7403.jpg (Filesize: 91.65 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #2244 on: February 02, 2023, 05:40:38 AM
I'm awlways happy to see you enjoying the Copperhead. The Coke bottle is equally nice. :like:
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2245 on: February 03, 2023, 04:51:48 PM
 :D I really do.  I mentioned Catherine liberated me of my wonderful Grey Peanut  :(.  She tried to liberate me of the Copperhead when she saw it  :ahhh.  Its striking in person pictures cannot do it justice especially not mine.  Its so comfortable in hand too. 

Not one thing I don't like about it.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Online LoopCutter

Reply #2246 on: February 03, 2023, 08:29:36 PM
A Case Stockman, came to me on Wednesday.

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2247 on: February 03, 2023, 11:31:50 PM
Looking good.  The Stockman is one I very much like.  I have a hard time saying "favorite".  I like them all.   :gimme:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #2248 on: February 04, 2023, 06:22:03 AM
That amber bone awlways looks good! :drool:
USN 2000-2006

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2249 on: February 04, 2023, 08:38:15 PM
Congrats Gordon, nice Stockman !  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30