Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Case Knives

spudley112 · 2596 · 60899

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Case Knives
Reply #90 on: September 11, 2019, 03:02:02 PM
Great information there! Thanks!  :cheers:

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #91 on: September 11, 2019, 07:58:14 PM
1 = Solid Hardwoods
2 = Smooth Black Synthetic Thermoplastic Rubber
3 = Smooth Yellow Synthetic
4 = Smooth Synthetic
5 = Genuine Stag
6 = Jigged Bone, Jigged Synthetic, Jigged Laminate
6.5 = BoneStag
7/P = Curly Maple, Rosewood, Smooth Laminate
8 = Genuine Mother-of-Pearl
9 = Imitation Mother-of-Pearl
10 = Micarta, G-10
I = Ivory, Imitation Ivory
EX = Exotic (Giraffe, Ostrich, Volcanic Glass, and other Exotic Handle Materials

There should be an asterisk next to #3.

The traditional pale yellow designation begins with 3 but there is a Sunflower Yellow and its designation begins with a 4.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #92 on: September 11, 2019, 09:22:00 PM
Case lot came today, now I've got to decide which ones to keep and which to let go   :think:

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Reply #93 on: September 11, 2019, 09:42:54 PM
1 = Solid Hardwoods
2 = Smooth Black Synthetic Thermoplastic Rubber
3 = Smooth Yellow Synthetic
4 = Smooth Synthetic
5 = Genuine Stag
6 = Jigged Bone, Jigged Synthetic, Jigged Laminate
6.5 = BoneStag
7/P = Curly Maple, Rosewood, Smooth Laminate
8 = Genuine Mother-of-Pearl
9 = Imitation Mother-of-Pearl
10 = Micarta, G-10
I = Ivory, Imitation Ivory
EX = Exotic (Giraffe, Ostrich, Volcanic Glass, and other Exotic Handle Materials

There should be an asterisk next to #3.

The traditional pale yellow designation begins with 3 but there is a Sunflower Yellow and its designation begins with a 4.

Thanks toolguy! With all our input, this could be a great source for people! I appreciate any input, history or other details anyone would like to share. One of the cool things about case knives is their identification makes it easier to date them.
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #94 on: September 11, 2019, 09:44:56 PM
Those are very nice Steve and understand your how tough it will be.

For what my opinionated be worth I like the bottom two for some reason. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #95 on: September 11, 2019, 09:59:20 PM
Let me know buddy!  I can always make room for a Case!
Case lot came today, now I've got to decide which ones to keep and which to let go   :think:

(Image removed from quote.)

Barry

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #96 on: September 11, 2019, 10:10:58 PM

Congratulations Steve.

I like the bottom knife.Is that a Copperhead?

I like the main blade on second from bottom Case as well. Is that a Peanut ?

I can't read the model numbers.My eyesight isn't as good was it was years ago.LOL
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #97 on: September 11, 2019, 10:22:08 PM
The orange one is a Half Whittler and yes the bottom one is an easy open Copperhead with a wharncliffe main . I'm kinda of liking that one as well.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #98 on: September 11, 2019, 10:27:19 PM
The orange one is a Half Whittler and yes the bottom one is an easy open Copperhead with a wharncliffe main . I'm kinda of liking that one as well.

That main blade on your Whittler reminds me of the Select series of Case knives? Maybe it's a Select Half Whittler?

I don't have any Copperheads but I do own three Copperhead Trappers.

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #99 on: September 11, 2019, 10:46:02 PM
Great topic  :tu:

Although I was aware of Case Knives, it wasn't until participating in the recent Traditional Challenge that I had to have one in particular, the Yellow Trapper that appears as my profile photo
It won't be my last  :cheers:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #100 on: September 11, 2019, 10:48:39 PM

Good score!  :cheers:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #101 on: September 12, 2019, 12:01:27 AM
That main blade on your Whittler reminds me of the Select series of Case knives? Maybe it's a Select Half Whittler?

I don't have any Copperheads but I do own three Copperhead Trappers.

Don't know enough about Case select to know    :dunno:

I  gave the whittler a potassium permanganate treatment and it looks so much better IMO.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #102 on: September 12, 2019, 02:43:49 AM
MyCases" border="0

These are my Case knives. I used to have more, but like an idiot, sold them years back for almost nothing. Anyhow, the two trappers to the right mean a lot to me. The older one on the upper right belonged to my grandfather on my dad's side of the family. When we were kids, we would visit my dad's mom (who we used to call Grandma up the hill due to the steep hill my dad had to drive up to get to her house!  :P) in Pittston, PA. One day I found this knife and my grandmother let me have it. My grandfather was gone at this point. Looking back, I am surprised my parents let me have it since I was pretty young at the time, maybe 6 or 7, but I am just guessing. I am 59 now and that was a long time ago. For years the knife was missing then one day I found it at the bottom of one of my tool boxes. I quickly grabbed it and put it in a box for safe keeping. It is not in great condition. My grandfather must have used the daylights out of it, but it has a lot of sentimental value. He died pretty young and I do not remember him very well. Evidently, his taste in knives must have rubbed off on my dad! The trapper in the lower right was his. He passed away in 1988 and I think this knife was purchased sometime in the early 80's. I think my grandfather's knife is form the 1940's. The rest are just the remains of my collection!       

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #103 on: September 12, 2019, 02:54:36 AM

I  gave the whittler a potassium permanganate treatment and it looks so much better IMO.

Potassium permanganate is some interesting chemical for use in a pinch.  :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #104 on: September 12, 2019, 02:56:25 AM
MyCases" border="0

These are my Case knives. I used to have more, but like an idiot, sold them years back for almost nothing. Anyhow, the two trappers to the right mean a lot to me. The older one on the upper right belonged to my grandfather on my dad's side of the family. When we were kids, we would visit my dad's mom (who we used to call Grandma up the hill due to the steep hill my dad had to drive up to get to her house!  :P) in Pittston, PA. One day I found this knife and my grandmother let me have it. My grandfather was gone at this point. Looking back, I am surprised my parents let me have it since I was pretty young at the time, maybe 6 or 7, but I am just guessing. I am 59 now and that was a long time ago. For years the knife was missing then one day I found it at the bottom of one of my tool boxes. I quickly grabbed it and put it in a box for safe keeping. It is not in great condition. My grandfather must have used the daylights out of it, but it has a lot of sentimental value. He died pretty young and I do not remember him very well. Evidently, his taste in knives must have rubbed off on my dad! The trapper in the lower right was his. He passed away in 1988 and I think this knife was purchased sometime in the early 80's. I think my grandfather's knife is form the 1940's. The rest are just the remains of my collection!     
Nice family history and knives!  :tu:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #105 on: September 12, 2019, 04:24:19 AM
 :iagree: That's the great thing about Traditionals.  The history behind them is so neat!
Barry

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: September 12, 2019, 11:30:32 AM
 :like:  :iagree:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #107 on: September 12, 2019, 12:58:08 PM

Nice pics Steve! :like: :tu: :tu:

I think you should keep all of them! :D

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #108 on: September 12, 2019, 01:03:11 PM
MyCases" border="0

These are my Case knives.

Nice collection mike! :like: :tu: :tu:

I enjoyed reading about the background of the 2 Trappers. I love knives that have a family history to them. They bring back such great memories! :D

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #109 on: September 12, 2019, 01:07:18 PM

Here is info on the Case Knife Select Series

Case XX Select Series Knives

Case XX Select knives are an elite class of Case knives, fashioned not through modern means of mass production, but by the time-honored hand-crafting of skilled American artisans - for no machine has yet been devised that compares to the workmanship of our own master cutlers. Journeyman artisans carefully offset-grind and swedge every blade, give each an extra hand-polishing, and hone it by hand to a razor-sharp edge.

Everything about a Case XX Select knife says “premium quality.” Case XX Select blades are crafted from our highest grade Tru-Sharp surgical steel; double-tested by our own hardening and tempering processes, then stamped with a unique mark reserved only for Case XX Select knives. Liners, bolsters, and pins are fashioned from the highest quality brass and nickel-silver. Each of these components is polished by hand to a luster that’s unmatched by any other manufacturer. All Case XX Select handles are formed from the most coveted materials, such as genuine Abalone, Elk Horn, and exotic hardwoods. The completed knives receive the signature “Case XX Select” artwork on the main blades before receiving an extra hand-polishing. Some Case XX Select knives may sport French or common nail marks or special embellishments like worked backsprings or blades.

Case introduced its Case XX Select series back in 1998. The program’s mission is to create knives which could be considered showpieces for collectors; knives which stand out as exceptional samples of Case hand-crafting. Now, more than a decade later, Case continues to push the envelope to create the perfect knife for every enthusiast through its Case XX Select program.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 01:13:11 PM by VICMAN »

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #110 on: September 12, 2019, 02:31:52 PM
Nice information on the XX  :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #111 on: September 12, 2019, 02:38:59 PM

Thanks Rapidray! :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #112 on: September 12, 2019, 02:41:20 PM
 :iagree:. Thanks Vicman!
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #113 on: September 12, 2019, 03:10:14 PM
I always hesitate to come into these threads.  There are so many lovely knives  :ahhh
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #114 on: September 12, 2019, 03:17:33 PM
I always hesitate to come into these threads.  There are so many lovely knives  :ahhh.
You get used to it!  :whistle:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #115 on: September 12, 2019, 03:58:40 PM
Thats what I'm afraid of  :gimme:.   At some point I will pick up something.  There are so many patterns and thankfully I cannot figure out which I like best.  Unlike SAKs traditionalsaren't a rabbit hole I want to go down. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #116 on: September 12, 2019, 06:06:23 PM

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #117 on: September 12, 2019, 07:31:21 PM
Thats what I'm afraid of  :gimme:.   At some point I will pick up something.  There are so many patterns and thankfully I cannot figure out which I like best.  Unlike SAKs traditionalsaren't a rabbit hole I want to go down.
I understand. I am the same way with the Gerber and Leatherman tools. If I were still working HVAC maintenance I would have a ton of them. The spares I did have, I have gifted away. I now have one of each and thats it.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #118 on: September 12, 2019, 08:39:55 PM

Not to put too fine a point on the Vmans post but it's not an explanation of the XX but instead about the "Select" series.

http://www.authorizedknifedealeroutlet.com/select.html

The XX is used on many different Case knives and is not a designation of the "Select " series.

The top photo illustrates the many ways in which Case uses the  XX designation but they are not part of the Select series of knives.

The bottom picture is a model belonging to the Select series.
case-trapper-xx-1.JPG
* case-trapper-xx-1.JPG (Filesize: 267.39 KB)
case-select-stag-1.JPG
* case-select-stag-1.JPG (Filesize: 238.21 KB)

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #119 on: September 12, 2019, 08:44:14 PM
Not to put too fine a point on the Vmans post but it's not an explanation of the XX but instead about the "Select" series.

:iagree:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD