Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mountaineer Club

comis · 38 · 3566

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Mountaineer Club
on: September 09, 2019, 05:06:59 PM
Hi, everyone.

Just like to start a club for those of us whom has the appreciation or curious about the Victorinox 91mm Mountaineer, personally it is one of the best EDC multitool that covers both urban and rural usage. 

When Huntsman often gets all the attention because of the wood saw, Mountaineer is the unsung hero with the metal file saw in the 91mm family.  I love the Metal file/saw, for it can do what the wood saw can do, and then more.  I vividly remembered how Mountaineer save my long haul trip, where I found myself without the key to my suitcase lock.  Since then, it has been part of my EDC and it is my trusted companion for all my travels.

Have you used or collected one?  Any story or thoughts to share?  Any questions?  Don't peek, please join right in! :D

« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 05:17:32 PM by comis »

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Mountaineer Club
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 05:24:04 PM
No Mountaineer but will be watching!  :popcorn:

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 07:09:47 PM
I like mine too! Just got it recently, but carried it a few times already.  :cheers:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 07:42:19 PM
No Mountaineer but will be watching!  :popcorn:
You know you want one... :pok:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 07:55:47 PM
You know you want one... :pok:
If I come across one and have the money and see nothing else! Yep, I probably would.  :tu:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 08:09:26 PM
The Mountaineer is the first, and so far only +2 layer SAK I found at a flea market.

I noticed it on the floor. Like new condition, fluted corkscrew, €3...

So I brought it home :D

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 08:15:37 PM
I like mine too! Just got it recently, but carried it a few times already.  :cheers:

(Image removed from quote.)

Awesome pix and scale!  Hope the bond grow stronger in time to come.

I love mine because it really embodies what I think is quintessence of SAK, what I called the "80% rules".   Though a SAK(or most MT) were not meant to replace real tools and their efficiency, I do believe a good EDC worthy SAK should cover 80% of all my quick fix needs. 

Through out the years, I tried different layers of SAK and eventually settle on 4 layers.  As many 4 layer lovers would know, it really does hit that sweet balance between ergo/weight/tool selection.  Ultimately, amongst current lineup, it was a choice between Explorer vs Mountaineer for me.  I chose later because I can still make do with a can opener for Phillips, but choosing the more capable inline Phillips will forgone all together the metal saw/file(and even the ability to saw wood too).  So in the end, that's how Mountaineer becomes my choice of EDC

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 08:17:45 PM
The Mountaineer is the first, and so far only +2 layer SAK I found at a flea market.

I noticed it on the floor. Like new condition, fluted corkscrew, €3...

So I brought it home :D

That's just too good to be true! :tu:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 08:19:15 PM
If I come across one and have the money and see nothing else! Yep, I probably would.  :tu:

:cheers: Should talk to Mechy here, I don't know how he does it, but man, that was a steal.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 08:20:44 PM
I don't know how it was still there since it was the third edition of the flea market that year :shrug:

So how did I do it??

:dunno:

I do know I wasn't man enough to negotiate about the price :rofl:

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 09:18:32 PM
The Mountaineer is much, and undeservedly, overlooked. A Club to appreciate them is overdue !  :cheers:

Edit. I do recall this thread https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,74491.0.html
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 10:03:52 PM
Let me join right in...  :like:

Love the Mountaineer and the lovely saw/file. It's my nº 2 EDC when i need something with more tools and for "off urban" envoirement.

Since i'm on the Compact as main edc these days, i'd love to get my hands on on a Trail Guide...  :drool:  for that i'd edc 3 layers regularly again

"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 03:54:20 AM
I don't know how it was still there since it was the third edition of the flea market that year :shrug:

So how did I do it??

:dunno:

I do know I wasn't man enough to negotiate about the price :rofl:
:rofl:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 04:03:32 AM
The Mountaineer is much, and undeservedly, overlooked. A Club to appreciate them is overdue !  :cheers:

Edit. I do recall this thread https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,74491.0.html

:cheers:

Ah, I see, I would have no problem if Mods decide to merge thread.  After all, it's for those whom appreciate or curious this tool to have a place to hang out. :D

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 04:14:20 AM
Let me join right in...  :like:

Love the Mountaineer and the lovely saw/file. It's my nº 2 EDC when i need something with more tools and for "off urban" envoirement.

Since i'm on the Compact as main edc these days, i'd love to get my hands on on a Trail Guide...  :drool:  for that i'd edc 3 layers regularly again

That is why I like most about Mountaineer is that it covers all ground sufficiently, both urban and rural, so in some way it is my "one tool" solution to covers most of my needs.

Compact is another unsung hero in the lineup, really capable tool sets in a really small package.  It is also sad to see Trail guide discontinued, but good thing is modding SAK is not too difficult.  I have made a few mods regarding Mountaineer, please do take a look if it is of interest:
Mountian Tinker
Mouontin Yeoman and GID Scale

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 10, 2019, 06:09:12 AM
I always used to EDC a Huntsman (surprise - huh?)  - But thought a file would a pretty decent addition - So got a Ranger - But it was too big for weekdays and work trousers.
So I went completely the other way and now EDC a Compact!!

However all this Mountaineer love has made me think I should give it a go - Thinner than the Huntsman too....

NB Please note:
..........   Though a SAK(or most MT) were not meant to replace real tools and their efficiency, I do believe a good EDC worthy SAK should cover 80% of all my quick fix needs.  ......

I really think we should ban anyone who uses this phrase in this context    :o
So Mr. Comis - Are you saying SAKs and Multitools are not real tools?    :think:   Huh?   ???    ;)

I much prefer the term 'dedicated tools' !!   :o   :pok:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 07:29:31 AM
I always used to EDC a Huntsman (surprise - huh?)  - But thought a file would a pretty decent addition - So got a Ranger - But it was too big for weekdays and work trousers.
So I went completely the other way and now EDC a Compact!!

However all this Mountaineer love has made me think I should give it a go - Thinner than the Huntsman too....
:pok: :D

NB Please note:
I really think we should ban anyone who uses this phrase in this context    :o
So Mr. Comis - Are you saying SAKs and Multitools are not real tools?    :think:   Huh?   ???    ;)

I much prefer the term 'dedicated tools' !!   :o   :pok:
You caught me there brother! :ahhh Full permission to go back and edit that phrase... :D

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 13, 2019, 08:13:42 PM
On a Mountaineer mood today... :D

"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 13, 2019, 10:29:36 PM
Nice!  :like:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: September 17, 2019, 03:59:32 AM

Thank you, Fast Bill, for the props!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 17, 2019, 04:02:45 AM
Hi, everyone.

Just like to start a club for those of us whom has the appreciation or curious about the Victorinox 91mm Mountaineer, personally it is one of the best EDC multitool that covers both urban and rural usage. 

When Huntsman often gets all the attention because of the wood saw, Mountaineer is the unsung hero with the metal file saw in the 91mm family.  I love the Metal file/saw, for it can do what the wood saw can do, and then more.  I vividly remembered how Mountaineer save my long haul trip, where I found myself without the key to my suitcase lock.  Since then, it has been part of my EDC and it is my trusted companion for all my travels.

Have you used or collected one?  Any story or thoughts to share?  Any questions?  Don't peek, please join right in! :D

I agree, Comis. The Mountaineer is a good one!

za Offline WaynejG

Reply #21 on: September 18, 2019, 08:23:52 PM
Mountaineer was my first SAK. A Christmas present from my wife about 20 years ago.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

us Offline boatman422

Reply #22 on: September 19, 2019, 07:26:35 PM
I recently acquired a NIB Trail Guide on the 'bay. I wasn't certain of whether I would EDC it or keep it on the shelf.

Why, EDC of course! I have a yeoman mod in the three-layer camp, but there's something about the width / heft of the trail guide that feels right. The metal saw is in the dead center layer too, which definitely helps with ergos.

Plus scales are a treat as well, even if I have explain the marlboro stamp : D

Does add a certain...character...to the knife, though.
IMG_5578.jpg
* IMG_5578.jpg (Filesize: 190.95 KB)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: September 20, 2019, 04:36:47 AM
I recently acquired a NIB Trail Guide on the 'bay. I wasn't certain of whether I would EDC it or keep it on the shelf.

Why, EDC of course! I have a yeoman mod in the three-layer camp, but there's something about the width / heft of the trail guide that feels right. The metal saw is in the dead center layer too, which definitely helps with ergos.

Trail Guide is a pretty cool and condensed version of the Mountaineer, how did you like the Metal File Saw?

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: September 20, 2019, 11:10:17 AM

:drool:   :drool:   :like:

That would definitely kick my Compact / Climber out of my pocket for EDC... :D

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: September 20, 2019, 02:40:32 PM
Interesting Trail Guide!  :tu:

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: September 20, 2019, 02:41:55 PM
The Mighty Mountaineer was my trusty companion for over ten years.
This SAK have the near perfect balance of size and tool load. Metal saw is one of my favorite tools. Very capable tool. I used to pair with a Gerber Flik.

But when I come across the Trail Guide I've found the perfect SAK.
It's sums all qualities of my two favorite SAKs in one! The Compact and Montaineer. Fit with perfection on my pocket.

Buy a new (Mighty )Mountaineer is in my "to do" list. It will take place on my urban backpack. The Ranger for the travel kit

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: September 20, 2019, 07:19:37 PM
The Mighty Mountaineer was my trusty companion for over ten years.
This SAK have the near perfect balance of size and tool load. Metal saw is one of my favorite tools. Very capable tool. I used to pair with a Gerber Flik.

But when I come across the Trail Guide I've found the perfect SAK.
It's sums all qualities of my two favorite SAKs in one! The Compact and Montaineer. Fit with perfection on my pocket.

Buy a new (Mighty )Mountaineer is in my "to do" list. It will take place on my urban backpack. The Ranger for the travel kit

:like:  I love Ranger too, it's like a Mini Champ :tu:

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: September 20, 2019, 11:48:27 PM
Thanks Comis!

The Ranger have all tools that I need and none that I don't!
Like most than the swisschamp

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

Offline stugumby

Reply #29 on: September 22, 2019, 05:40:04 PM
have 2 of them now, 1 older without the hook and a newer one with the hook. when i carry a swisstool RS it dosnt have a file so it fits the bill nicely. got both of them slightly used on the bay, will be work tools anyway. file for me not so much as a file but a flipee pokee for baggage checks, cant be reaching into the unknown, makes a good flip it tool to move things around etc, gotta love the security industry for improvisation daily. Ive worn out a deluxe tinker over the years with the pliers oh so handy to pick up discarded needles etc from parking lots.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%