Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Next Naked Project

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Next Naked Project
on: September 11, 2019, 08:19:47 PM
So I’m enjoying the ‘naked’ builds, where I replace the outside liners with 2mm aluminum and peen on the outside. Kind of a poor-man’s Alox...but really allows a little bit of creativity. I don’t mind the raw aluminum as this will get some usage wear over time.

I may look for someone who can anodize small jobs, or get some brass sheet as an alternative. Maybe later...

But back to the latest project. I noticed that without normal Cellidor scales the corkscrew sticks out the side a lot more. So I’ve moved it over one layer and it’s now almost flush with the outer scales.

I’m using the normal scissors backspring, but trimmed a little to allow the corkscrew to fold flat. I lose the hook, but that’s not an issue for me. I use a stub corkscrew pivot to space the blade layer.

From this base (blades/scissors/corkscrew) I can create quite a few different builds. Could switch the small blade for a combo tool and keep it an ultra-thin Compact. Add a file to this for a Trail Guide, or Phillips/magnifier for a Yeoman. Maybe even a Yeoman MS (metal file). I use the opener backspring with the file so I can keep the back awl.

Currently leaning towards the Trail Guide... :think:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Re: Next Naked Project
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 08:29:17 PM
Looks good Max  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 08:31:46 PM
I agree it looks good :tu:
 For years I used to keep a huntsman on my keys and it would not take long for them to shed their scales.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 10:05:13 PM
Thanks Wim, chip  :hatsoff:

Still to decide on final layers...  :popcorn:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 12:14:21 AM
So a naked Compact it is.  :salute:

Fabricated brass scales (2mm) and central liner (0.7mm).

Corkscrew moved over one layer to keep the SAK minimum thickness. Lose the hook but I accept that sacrifice.

Still busy test fitting. A lot more difficult working with brass compared to Aluminium. Hope to finish it tomorrow. Thinking of leaving the key ring off to keep the lines super-clean.

us Offline Sos24

Next Naked Project
Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 01:31:13 AM
Very nice job.  I like the brass.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 03:37:52 AM
Brass scales have been used for ages on knives, and I think they look great!  They have nice patina as they age, except on the knives I have with them, I keep polishing it off!   

I have seen old bartender's knives that are pretty much a rudimentary Waiter with brass handles. And a lot of them aren't even real brass. Cheap steel (or often pot metal) plated to look like brass.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 03:45:44 AM
Looks classy! :like:

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 03:49:25 AM
 :like:
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: September 22, 2019, 07:16:39 AM

That's very nice Max  :tu: :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #10 on: September 22, 2019, 07:20:25 AM
Thanks guys.  :hatsoff: will post some pics when done.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 22, 2019, 11:41:51 AM
Very Nice Max,

I'll pay good money for one of them!!! I like the brass, adds quite a classiness to the SAK

Piet

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #12 on: September 22, 2019, 12:56:03 PM
Very nice! You're doing some fantastic work there Max  :like:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: September 22, 2019, 01:56:27 PM
Nice scales Max  :like: :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #14 on: September 22, 2019, 03:17:17 PM
Thanks Wim, magentus, Piet.  :hatsoff:

All finished! A few comments on the build...polished inside scales but left a brushed finish on the outside. Fourth pin needed to retain the blade spring is ‘blind’, corkscrew tang cut back flush with spacer. Scissors spring cut down for corkscrew space, but angled to retain some metal. Full height liner is nice, but just catches the scissors so scissor’s pivot needed a little sanding/polishing to not catch and still close with a snap.

Combo from a waiter (hole enlarged), needed some adjustment to the pivot shape to get it to close at a higher position (84mm frame lower). Spacer needed some reshaping to keep tension on Combo. 0.4mm washer needed for main blade. Would prefer older, wider tang, but did not have any left with a good edge.

Shaped the 3 scales all sandwiched together (2.5mm bolt/nuts) on a belt sander. Decided to leave the sanding ‘marks’ and not polish or round the edges. Looks and feels better. Slight counter-sunk holes to drop the peened heads slightly. Originally was going to sand flush, but decided to leave them proud as it’s fun to see (and feel) the hand peening.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #15 on: September 22, 2019, 03:18:32 PM
Extra pics...

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: September 22, 2019, 03:34:09 PM
Very nice work Max  :dd: :like: :like:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: September 23, 2019, 12:40:29 AM
Looks great, awesome job! :like:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #18 on: September 23, 2019, 06:06:52 AM
Thanks Wim, comis  :hatsoff:

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: September 23, 2019, 03:46:54 PM
Really beautiful work, Max.   As I said elsewhere, when you're ready to take my money please let me know.  :)

I may have missed it if you posted elsewhere, but could you describe how you made your scales and liner?   Are you using a milling machine?

Thanks,

Myron

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #20 on: September 23, 2019, 05:45:53 PM
Thanks Myron, will PM you when ready.

Old school fabrication...I bought the sheets from a local supplier (2mm and 0.7mm). Cut rough rectangular blanks with a good quality hacksaw (about 30x100mm). Coffee breaks between...

Used an existing aluminum full-size liner to mark the hole positions (with clearance for the whole scale), and drilled a 2mm blank with a Dremel on a drill press. 2.2mm on back pivot and 2.5mm on end pivots (only drilled the 2nd inner pin hole on the 0.7mm liner). Easy to be off by a tiny amount (messing the spring/pivot geometry, so looking at getting a steel jig made to guide the exact hole positions).

Used thin double-sided mounting tape to sandwich the 0.7mm between the two thicker blanks, using the top as a guide to then carefully drill through and have the holes line up.

I traced out the scale outline on the top blank with a Sharpie, matching the holes.

I then used 2.5mm hex screws and nuts through the end pivot holes to secure all 3 layers together. Screw heads on the bottom. Just finger-tight to not damage the brass (could have made up some nylon washers if necessary).

Then used the magic mounting tape to mount a short 2mm brass off-cut between the pivot holes on the bottom blank. This gives a stable/flat surface to slide the stack on the sander’s table, and not scratch the bottom plate. Had to sand the screw heads down a tiny amount as they stand just proud of 2mm.

Then used a course sanding belt (100 grit) on a small 1in bench sander (vertical belt with small flat table) to grind away all 3 blanks at the same time, making them identical. 100 grit makes short work of the brass, and leaves a nice vertical grain on the cut edge, which I’ve left.

Once shape was perfect, released the screws and I had three identically shaped scales. Then marked the 2nd inner pin hole in each of the 2mm scales and drilled a blind hole (only drilled 1mm deep), just enough to capture the short pin needed to retain the blade backspring.

Using an existing liner, traced the corkscrew cut out on one scale and the liner and again used the belt sander to cut away the shape (but each done individually).

Slight counter-sunk the pivot holes so the peened heads would be a little lower (still wanted them proud). Mirror polish on 0.7mm liner and inside of scales. Brushed finish on the outside of the scales.

That’s it!   :salute:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: September 23, 2019, 05:50:38 PM
Excellent work  :like: :like: :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: September 23, 2019, 06:00:36 PM
Your naked project is coming along great.   
Esse Quam Videri

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #23 on: September 23, 2019, 06:19:18 PM
Thanks Wim, Aloha  :hatsoff:

A friend on mine is looking at making a steel jig for me, to guide the hole placements. I can then build some small batches. I can then also build normal SAKs with cellidor scales, but brass liners. We’ll see.  :cheers:

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #24 on: September 24, 2019, 01:57:42 AM
Love it.
That brass is making me want to tear down a MiniChamp.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: September 24, 2019, 01:37:44 PM
Are you going to take orders then?

Can I be No 1 please!?!

Piet

Still loving the brass, will pair nicely with a brass / bronzo watch too

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #26 on: September 24, 2019, 03:02:07 PM
Great work, Max  :like: These brass SAKs look really awesome!

Let me know once you take orders, I will surely want one  :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: September 26, 2019, 12:16:21 PM
Very nice work on this project, Max :o Love the look of brass and such a compact SAK that you have with so much functionality :drool: :like:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #28 on: September 26, 2019, 01:22:22 PM
Thank you Poncho!  :hatsoff:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #29 on: September 26, 2019, 01:22:59 PM
Are you going to take orders then?

Can I be No 1 please!?!

Piet

Still loving the brass, will pair nicely with a brass / bronzo watch too

PM sent...  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%