Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

DIY Glow in the dark and Semi-transparent 91mm scales & Youtube tutorial 4845

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,607
DIY Glow in the dark and Semi-transparent 91mm scales & Youtube tutorial
« on: September 17, 2019, 02:03:49 PM »

DIY Glow in the dark and Semi-transparent 91mm scales & youtube tutorial

Part 1
Making Transparent scale from Victorinox 91mm Silvertech scale

Making a transparent scale from Victorinox 91mm silvertech scale is a waiting game.  Some of our modders have done it in past here and I will post relevant reference links at the end, and my process is rather similar.

Executive Summary: Strip the original paint off of Victorinox 91mm Silvertech scale, and apply a mixture of epoxy resin with Glow-in-the-dark(GITD or GID) powder to make it GID.

Day5
I started off by submerging the scales face-up in ~300ml of white vinegar(5% acidity) in a plastic container for the first month.
Checking on it from time to time, you will be able to see the silver paint coming off of the scales in flakes in the first few weeks.  Later on, some transparent paint might be floating around inside the container.

Day36
And at the end of the first month, most majority of the silver paint would have been stripped off.
I have read the process is correlated to temperature and acidity.  I think of the two sets I have tried, the temperature being around 24-28C for the most part, the two sets' results are consistent.

Day 41
After the first month, I dumped the old vinegar and poured in new vinegar to look for improvement, but the improvement is really slow and marginally noticeable.  Basically, I think the scales have turned completely transparent (with some haziness) after the first 1.5 months.

Day53
I tried adding in various degree of sea salt to the solution to increase it's acidity for the last two weeks.  But I really couldn't see another difference after that 1.5 months.
I stopped right before reaching two months of time.

I used Acrylic repair paste(you could find something similar in US Container store called "Novus", absolutely fantastic product to remove scratches and restore the SAK scales to its original state) to see whether I could reduce the haziness, but the effect is only nominal. YMMV.

Overlaying the 'transparent' scale over the SAK mod for the effect, I later proceed to use these scales to make them GID.

Part 2
Making GID 91mm scale

So while waiting for the scales to turn transparent, I ordered some glow in dark powder and the epoxy from the States.  I got my GID powder from Glow.inc.  I'm no GID expert, but from my flashlight modding days 10-15 years ago, I could tell these GID powder is of pretty good quality.

Epoxy wise, it is entirely up to you what to get.  I would advise against anything that cures within 1 hour simply because more cure time you have, more time to make it work.  Definitely do test it out before mixing in the powder/coloring, to familirize yourself with the cure time.  And in case you made too much, you could even use it for other applications.  Also, the epoxy cured color is important, if it is not transparent, it could be white/yellowish/grey which might not be suitable for the mod.  Personally, I have tested and used Art n Glow AB epoxy with pretty good results.

In my experience, 2g of AB epoxy and 2g total of GID powder is enough to fill in all the partitions of 1 pair(front and back) of Victorinox 91mm 'transparent' scale.

For accuracy, please use a scale to make sure all the proportions are 100% correct.  This is exceptional true for the epoxy curing, since we are making a very small batch and one or few drops less/more might affect how it cures(or it might not cure at all).  Also, once mixed throughly, I use a lighter to quickly flash/flame the epoxy to 'pop' any surface bubble before application.

For my Victorinox GID scale mod, I find a 50/50 mix of GID powder vs epoxy is a decent combination.  Ideally, you do want enough powder in the solution to achieve maximum GID effect, but too much powder might make it difficult to apply and trapped bubbles could be hard to escape.  It will take some time to fill in the partitions one by one(I recommend using a toothpick to 'drip' it in), and be prepared to use Q-tip to wipe clean the overflowing.  When you successfully filled in the mix, use the lighter again to quickly flash the epoxy to pop any bubble forming.

Once again, cure time and mix ratio are both crucial.  Too little cure time or too heavy the mix could both be counterproductive.

It might be beneficial to work in a semi-dust free environment, and once the epoxy starts to settle, I put them inside a 'leveled' box to keep it dust free to dry.

Before putting them onto the SAK, I used dremel to make two small divots for hosting the backside tool pin rivets.  Remember to wear a mask when doing this, I am not 100% sure GID epoxy resin is safe to breath in...
Also, due to all the partitions are now filled with epoxy and there is less flex in the scale, it will be a lot more difficult to put the scales on, vise with leather wrapped around the SAK will be helpful.

Thank you for reading!

If you are interested in my 91mm Mountaineer Mods, please do visit the following links on MTO or possibly my youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2FMClMqc4U

My other 91mm mod writeups:
91mm SAK mod 'Mountain Tinker'
Victorinox 91mm mod "Mountain Yeoman" with Transparent GID scale

Some references to other links:
Coloring SAK Scales
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,70071.msg1409145.html#msg1409145
Folks on MTO using the vinegar method to strip the paint and make it transparent
Btw Etherealicer, I'm a fan of your youtube channel, rich with SAK modding resources, highly recommended.

Making a transparent SAK
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,49287.msg822014.html#msg822014
Nhoj made a transparent scale from scratch, very interesting and completely different route!

Victorinox Silver Tech. Removable scales?
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,24988.msg453693.html#msg453693
Neil has a different approach to utilize the Silvertech scale, looks great and fun to do.

Slivertech Mod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uADQFmUmpKI
Boss made this video back in SOSAK days
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,133
Re: DIY Glow in the dark and Semi-transparent 91mm scales & Youtube tutorial
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 02:18:09 PM »
Very nice! Really like the glow and color :hatsoff:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 04:04:52 PM »
Very nice! Really like the glow and color :hatsoff:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

Thank you for reading!  :D :hatsoff:
No Life Club Posts: 1,245
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 04:36:01 PM »
Great job, Comis! And a very good video tutorial, I clicked right away when I saw it my subscribed feed.  :tu:
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 06:05:34 PM »
Great job, Comis! And a very good video tutorial, I clicked right away when I saw it my subscribed feed.  :tu:

Thank you for the firm support!  Much appreciated! :cheers:
Global Moderator No Life Club Posts: 3,832
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 11:43:16 PM »
Fantastic idea, explanation, pictures and thread Comis - Very well done - beautifully explained  - and fabulous result :salute:

Brilliant - Thank you  - Oh and thanks also for the MTo plug in the vid   :D

Can't believe two months though for the scale stripping! No quicker way?  ???  - Or would any other way damage the scales - No wonder this thread took a while to complete - That's patience!!

- I have added the thread to the mod guide stickie     :tu:
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 15,840
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 12:37:38 AM »
 :iagree: to what's been said already  :like:
Excellent tutorial and pictures.... even a vid!
Thank you  :salute:

Formerly known as MTMatt
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 24,490
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 02:34:28 AM »
Wow...I didn’t realize it took that long to make a set of GITD scales! Great video on YouTube. Great thread and photos.  :2tu:  :cheers:
Thanks for sharing with us!  :hatsoff:
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 03:26:39 AM »
Fantastic idea, explanation, pictures and thread Comis - Very well done - beautifully explained  - and fabulous result :salute:

Brilliant - Thank you  - Oh and thanks also for the MTo plug in the vid   :D

Can't believe two months though for the scale stripping! No quicker way?  ???  - Or would any other way damage the scales - No wonder this thread took a while to complete - That's patience!!

- I have added the thread to the mod guide stickie     :tu:

I guess one could say it is practically done by around 1.5 months(as shown in video), but I find some traces of transparent film kept peeling even afterwards.  I tried adding salt to the vinegar, but I think it only does it for the copper coin, not much difference for scales.  I heard warming up the vinegar may speed up the reaction, but I wonder how much faster vs risk of warping the scales, and the tradeoff may or may not worth it.  The only way I could think of maybe heating up the vinegar and vaporize some of the water to increase the concentration of the acid, but that is an exact science, and even doubling the acidity might be potentially harmful if get into eyes. :think:

Thanks a lot for the stickie!  What a pleasure! :hatsoff:
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 03:28:01 AM »
:iagree: to what's been said already  :like:
Excellent tutorial and pictures.... even a vid!
Thank you  :salute:

Thanks Stitchy!  I wish you would stay longer in your joint challenge with Fuzzy.  You two are fun to watch!
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 03:28:41 AM »
Wow...I didn’t realize it took that long to make a set of GITD scales! Great video on YouTube. Great thread and photos.  :2tu: :cheers:
Thanks for sharing with us!  :hatsoff:

Thanks again for your support!  Appreciate that! :hatsoff: :D
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 24,490
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 03:58:26 AM »
Not a problem!  :cheers:
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 26,439
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2019, 05:46:12 AM »
 :iagree: with all the great comments.  I thought you did a fantastic job very detailed.  Thank you for posting this to MTo and youtube.   :hatsoff:

Esse Quam Videri
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 15,840
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2019, 09:00:04 AM »
Thanks Stitchy!  I wish you would stay longer in your joint challenge with Fuzzy.  You two are fun to watch!

:hatsoff:

Formerly known as MTMatt
No Life Club Posts: 3,529
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2019, 09:53:12 AM »
Great job and excellent writeup!

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2019, 10:18:11 AM »
Great job and excellent writeup!

:cheers:  I know you were planning to make something similar, hope this is relevant!
No Life Club Posts: 3,529
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2019, 10:19:53 AM »
It really is! Now I just have to find the time

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 12,982
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2019, 08:23:15 AM »
Nice tutorial!

Great pictures and video Comis  :salute:

Everything’s adjustable
No Life Club Posts: 4,110
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2019, 08:34:54 AM »
Very nicely done Comis, and you must be a much more patient man than I am  :like:

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2019, 07:35:05 PM »
Nice tutorial!

Great pictures and video Comis  :salute:

Thanks Tony!  Always appreciate your kind support here and on YT! :cheers:
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,707 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2019, 07:36:08 PM »
Seen the vid the other day. Great work!

Nate

SEND IT!
Just Bananas Posts: 76,225
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2019, 07:36:56 PM »
Excellent work  :clap: :like: :like:

fail to prepare prepare to fail
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2019, 07:37:22 PM »
Very nicely done Comis, and you must be a much more patient man than I am  :like:

The best approach I found is to put the container out of the way, and pretend you'd forgotten it altogether... :facepalm: :D
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2019, 11:45:33 PM »
Seen the vid the other day. Great work!

Thank you to your support here and YouTube too! :like: :cheers:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,822
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2019, 05:40:42 AM »
Awesome work Comis!  :like:

I guess one could create custom scales with that method. Half wood, half glowing epoxy. Could look pretty cool  :think:

Or wood with glowing inlays. Darn it. Now I got my next project cut out for me. If only I had the time  :D
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2019, 05:43:04 PM »
Awesome work Comis!  :like:

I guess one could create custom scales with that method. Half wood, half glowing epoxy. Could look pretty cool  :think:

Or wood with glowing inlays. Darn it. Now I got my next project cut out for me. If only I had the time  :D

Those are some wonderful ideas!  I wish there is a way to make a mold to make that happen...that would be neat! :think: :D
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,822
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2019, 05:51:21 PM »
Should not be too hard. Even cardboard could work for that. The mold will be destroyed, but not a big deal.
Make the mold rectangular, then shape it to scale form.

I will definitely try the wood scales with glowing epoxy. I think that will be awesome. Some darker wood with some blue or green glowing inlay  :drool:

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2019, 05:55:34 PM »
Should not be too hard. Even cardboard could work for that. The mold will be destroyed, but not a big deal.
Make the mold rectangular, then shape it to scale form.

I will definitely try the wood scales with glowing epoxy. I think that will be awesome. Some darker wood with some blue or green glowing inlay  :drool:

I think making divots on wood scales or filling the voids with the resin should not be too difficult, the hard part is probably making artistic inlay...which probably involve some kind carving.  That's a skill I need to acquire before moving forward. :facepalm: :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
January Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: $62.47
PayPal Fees: $4.40
Net Balance: $58.07
Below Goal: $241.93
Site Currency: USD
19%