Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I don't want to appreciate them when they are gone.

Aloha · 43 · 5287

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Re: I don't want to appreciate them when they are gone.
Reply #30 on: May 21, 2020, 03:15:54 AM
my only regret for something that's gone is my Leatherman Supertool, which was sold to some rando instead of one of you who would appreciate it. 

I've misplaced some of my favorites.... Three of them come to mind. 

I wouldn't call myself a collector....  I'm more of an accumulator.   

I think I'd have it easier if I collected - every LM Juice, every SAK Soldier or Standard Issue, every Mr Pinchy.... If I did, I would have a goal, and I would know where to stop.  The acquisition would be fun too. 

But alas - I have two vices. a) I get what I think I'll use, and 2) I am a sucker for design.

And that makes it difficult for me to part with what I have.

It's been helpful in that I haven't been interested in too many Leatherman or Gerber tools  - on the design aspect... more as a work of art than a tool.   :dd:

At one point I knew I wanted a keychain size, scissor based tool, and with the Gerber Splice and the LM Style in the running, I went with the old school Micra, party because I thought it looked the best when closed.  Shallow, I know.  The preference in form of the Micra over the Style holds in that I wont get a Skeletool or a Signal either.  So thats the easy part.

The hard part is the other stuff....

I've given away more SAKs than I own... Some I bought in tentionally to gift, and a couple I bought to try out and give away.  I have a terrible habit of giving away SAKs because I think it will give pepole as much enjoyment out of them as I get.  I'm not sure that's the case. 

So back to the design aspect.  I generally prefer 2 or 3 layer SAKs... that's what I have had... and it means that's what I have given away. 

See the conundrum here?  I have a relatively limited number of items that fit the bill for what I like... and what I use.  Since I don't have a particular interest in collecting individual items I don't feel that my collection is complete because I have those things.  i don't feel like I want to hold on to something because losing it would leave an obvious void.

But once it's gone... man, oh man...  That's when the design junkie in me goes bonkers.  Suddenly I need to get the X with the Y or the X without the Y......  the Pioneer with the scissors... the Tinker small without backspring tools... the Spartan in 111mm... the Trailmaster in 91mm.

The tools that I like do use ... with a slight tweak in design... thats what appeals to me. 

Maybe I should just start being a collector.   :facepalm:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: May 21, 2020, 06:34:46 AM
When I go back and re-read what I first posted I am reminded how I felt that day.  It was several days and likely years leading up to it.  I don't always go thru what I have.  I cannot tell you exactly what I have. Some were easier to come by that others which makes those a little more special.  Gifts are even more special and trades are too. 

When I had a look at what I had that day it was thru a different lens.  My perspective was different.  I enjoy those ones I highlighted but I also really enjoy the ones I use and will use in certain scenarios.  My camping tools, my hike tools, my at home chores tools, my off day carry, etc.  When I acquire a new to me tool I enjoy the process of cleaning it and getting it ready for carry.  I don't have any preconceived notions I just carry it and see how it goes.  I do buy some items and realize they wont be carried. 

I am still enjoying what I have.  I've been having fun and while my goals have been all but forgotten having fun has come back to the forefront.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: October 23, 2020, 04:44:24 PM
Spent the afternoon going thru some tools.  This time it was my traditional folders.  I swear this journey never ends.  I was interested in them but at the time I was so engrosses with my MTs I didn't spend much time learning or carrying them.  I've made a few sheaths to carry the ones I had and I also bought a few to carry the newer ones.  I found myself looking at auction sites and even looking at buying new but.......  just like most of many of my tools I am having so much fun stumbling upon them at the fleamarket. 

I don't know if I'll find a GEC there but who knows.  I have found pretty cool ones so far.  I am having such a great time learning and then taking what I've learned into the field ( fleamarket ).  I've picked up a few really neat ones and suspect over time I'll find more.  I've also picked up a few fixed blades.  Its another area of this hobby that I enjoy.  I'm again having such a great time and enjoying them all. 

My MT collecting and buying is pretty much the same, slow.  I think when I see something interesting I'll pick it up.  I did saw a few cool tools but I passed on them.  Its a weird feeling since in times past I would have bought them.

I am enjoying carrying a traditional folder more than I thought I would.  While it wont replace a SAK that was never my intention.  Theres something about a traditional folder is all I can say. 

I did pick up a few SAKs.  I got a Champion back into my collection.  This one has been a user and its been great.  I also got a Fisherman because that scale looks so cool.  I've been meaning to clean it up and send it on its way. 

Spending time with my sharps was very relaxing.  I sat on my patio with a cup of coffee after finishing my chores and when thru each tool admiring them.  I spent about 2 hours in total which was great. 

I hope you all are still enjoying your sharps.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: October 23, 2020, 05:40:40 PM

Theres something about a traditional folder is all I can say. 

Spending time with my sharps was very relaxing.  I sat on my patio with a cup of coffee after finishing my chores and when thru each tool admiring them.  I spent about 2 hours in total which was great. 

I hope you all are still enjoying your sharps.   

One of us one of us !!!    :like:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #34 on: October 23, 2020, 07:26:39 PM
I hear you. I am back into collecting Leatherman tools a little these days, and I fear that I may buy a few more SAKs down the road once I saw and bought that 2020 Snow Magic beauty. My problem is one of storage space. That is the main limiting factor on me right now...and that is a good thing I suppose.

It absolutely shocks me to see the going prices for some of these older multi-tools and SAKs. I guess I got into collecting at the right time.  :think:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: October 24, 2020, 06:25:51 AM
You sure did  :tu:.  It continues to be so much fun and with this new interest its a great learning experience as well.   
Esse Quam Videri

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #36 on: October 24, 2020, 07:09:44 PM
The time to buy GEC from eBay was 10 years ago - go to a dealer unless you like spending 20% to 200% more on the same item.

Plenty of GECs there
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: October 25, 2020, 03:27:36 PM
 :iagree:

I'm pretty happy with the older Trads I am finding so far.  Before I spend GEC money I think I'll need to sort out what pattern first.  Since they release certain patterns I can wait.  Certainly not spending the asking prices on the second hand market.  The fun part of how I collect and accumulate is finding things at the flea market.  The bay of fleas was fun when I trolled there but it wore off rather quickly. 

I'm headed to the flea market today so we'll see.  It wouldn't surprise me to find a GEC there at some point. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: October 26, 2020, 03:13:45 PM
And as luck would have it  :whistle:.  Not that I'll carry all of these but the Sears and Easy Open Imperial will be carried and  its fun to find them.  I see a lot of trads some in very bad shape blade wise so I always pass on those.  If it were just covers then I'd try my hand at replacing. 

Its interesting at the flea market, some venders treat every trad likes its a one off and want 50 plus dollars for it.  The sellers I got these from ( 3 different sellers ) saw the rust and grime and were happy to sell at fair prices. 

The one thing I get excited about are the gems I had no clue about.  The first knife in the picture is an Imperial that was identified by Steve as a WW2 Navy knife.  Now I can search the auction sites and buy one easy enough but finding one randomly at the flea market is what excites me about this hobby.  The hunting was fun at one time.  The stumbling upon gems is very enjoyable. 

I'll carry the Navy knife and the bottom one ( Sears ) since they are more to my liking while the others are just neat. 

I am enjoying this hobby now rather than pack everything away and forgetting them.     
IMG_1557.jpg
* IMG_1557.jpg (Filesize: 124.94 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: October 27, 2020, 04:44:17 AM
 :like: :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: August 29, 2022, 07:32:05 PM
Had that feeling again but it passed rather quickly.  I've picked up some really nice trads since my last post here.  Traditional folders have really got me excited.  I sat down and went thru all I have ( traditional folders ) and am amazed how quickly I went from a couple to a LOT.   :D

I am not as quick to buy a trad just cause its available to me.  I think with any new direction a hobby takes we are quick to buy.  Buying at the flea market is easy.  Some deals are too hard to pass on.  I spied a Case 25 1/2 sitting with some other trads and asked how much.  The vender said hesitantly $2.  Its those deals that make it easy to amass so many items. 

I blame opportunity more than anything.  I've always called myself an opportunistic buyer.  I've traded some MTs for trads fairly recent.  Thats alway fun. 

I've tried to narrow down what I will and want to carry.  Its been a little difficult actually.  First world "problem".  I am enjoying my stuff more and more.

Heres a neat development.  I have a grandchild on the way.  Its even more exciting that I can hopefully get him into this hobby.  I was not fortunate to get passed down anything from my grandparent or parent. 

I'm looking forward to him getting something from me.   
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: September 09, 2022, 06:14:39 PM
Heres a neat development.  I have a grandchild on the way.  Its even more exciting that I can hopefully get him into this hobby.  I was not fortunate to get passed down anything from my grandparent or parent. 

I'm looking forward to him getting something from me.
That is wonderful, Aloha! Congratulations :tu:
My interest in tools started with my old man. I am sure he is going love spending time with you and bonding over folders/multitools.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: September 09, 2022, 06:18:09 PM
 :hatsoff:  Thank you for the kind words. 

I always appreciate hearing about hobbies being passed down from father or grandfather to sons.  As I said, I was not fortunate in that regard so I will most certainly do my best to present this hobby to him and many others. 

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD