Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Serrated MT blade sharpening

Kev D · 18 · 1883

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Serrated MT blade sharpening
on: August 12, 2015, 05:21:54 PM
I leant my surge to someone at work today to cut a hose that turned out to be steel wire reinforced, and he has severely blunted the serrated blade  :facepalm:

Can any of you recommend a good sharpening system so I can sharpen it? I was looking at the spyderco sharpmaker, is that any good for serrated blades?

Cheers

Kev

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Re: Serrated MT blade sharpening
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 07:57:31 PM
Can any of you recommend a good sharpening system so I can sharpen it? I was looking at the spyderco sharpmaker, is that any good for serrated blades?

Not really. It has a way to orient the rods so that the tips of the triangles will (theoretically) reach into the serration gullies. In practice, it rounds off the pointy tips of the serrations.

Best thing is a tapered rod. Doesn't have to be expensive or particularly fine. I use this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-PP1-Pocket-Multifunction-Sharpener/dp/B000O8OTNC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439401863&sr=8-1&keywords=smith%27s+knife+sharpeners

I used that the other day; worked great. If you want the serrations to be honed as well as sharpened, you'll need to find something a little higher-end.

I use the carbide and ceramic rods to sharpen plain edge knives I really don't care much about, or that are really badly ground from the factory.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 08:16:40 PM

Not really. It has a way to orient the rods so that the tips of the triangles will (theoretically) reach into the serration gullies. In practice, it rounds off the pointy tips of the serrations.

Best thing is a tapered rod. Doesn't have to be expensive or particularly fine. I use this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-PP1-Pocket-Multifunction-Sharpener/dp/B000O8OTNC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439401863&sr=8-1&keywords=smith%27s+knife+sharpeners

I used that the other day; worked great. If you want the serrations to be honed as well as sharpened, you'll need to find something a little higher-end.

I use the carbide and ceramic rods to sharpen plain edge knives I really don't care much about, or that are really badly ground from the factory.

+1

Smith also has this diamond rod: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001910FOA.

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 08:56:58 PM
I use a KME guided diamond system for Plain edge blades and was using a ceramic rod for the serrated kitchen knives. The rod is to big for the rebar's serrated blade so I'm going to get one of these two.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 09:16:07 PM
I use a KME guided diamond system for Plain edge blades and was using a ceramic rod for the serrated kitchen knives. The rod is to big for the rebar's serrated blade so I'm going to get one of these two.

Get the balisong-style one. Matches the multi-tools. :)
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 01:15:13 AM
I love the spyderco sharpmaker and I have sharpened serrated blades with it.
I'm not a big fan of serrated blades, so I don't know how it works long term, or on a damaged blade.
- Steve

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 01:22:02 AM
I love the spyderco sharpmaker and I have sharpened serrated blades with it.
I'm not a big fan of serrated blades, so I don't know how it works long term, or on a damaged blade.

+1 for the Sharpmaker. If you go slowly and work the rod in the serrations, you can avoid blunting the tips. It's all in the technique, you can't go fast like with a plain edge.

I have also used rods with success, but have a full Sharpmaker setup sitting on my workbench.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 01:23:11 AM by Toolslinger »

us Offline TRUE LIBERTY

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 04:31:31 AM

Get the balisong-style one. Matches the multi-tools. :)

Why didn't I think of that.  :ahhh
400 vs 600 grit, the balisong looking one is 600, I think that'll be the one.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #9 on: March 22, 2021, 09:45:01 AM
Five and a half years later, does anyone else have any advice on a good serrated blade sharpener?  :pok:
Has anything else appeared on the market since?  :think:

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #10 on: March 22, 2021, 10:12:23 AM
Five and a half years later, does anyone else have any advice on a good serrated blade sharpener?  :pok:
Not really but this helps little, it has different size rods on 1

Only Tools Matters

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #11 on: March 22, 2021, 10:12:50 AM
Not really but this helps little, it has different size rods on 1 http://www.jokerknifestore.com.au/warthog-sharpeners-diamond-serrated-blade-sharpene

Only Tools Matters

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #12 on: March 22, 2021, 11:14:38 AM
Not really but this helps little, it has different size rods on 1 http://www.jokerknifestore.com.au/warthog-sharpeners-diamond-serrated-blade-sharpene
Oh that's cool.  :tu:
A little expensive though.  :-[

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #13 on: April 19, 2021, 06:32:40 AM
I'm going to give the Eze Lap Diamond Sharpener ST a try.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 04:35:00 PM
Should work pretty well. I've been looking at getting one or a DMT.  I've got a ton of work to correct some seriously borked serrations on a used Cold Steel Voyager I bought. Two larger serrations have chips, and a finer serration has completely been broken off.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #15 on: April 19, 2021, 11:48:46 PM
The diameter is smaller than the large serrations on the Wave and Surge so I'll have to employ some sort of sideways motion to sharpen those.

Since purchasing it I have noticed the Smith's sharpeners that Dean51 (RIP) showed for sale nearby.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: April 20, 2021, 12:15:49 AM
The diameter is smaller than the large serrations on the Wave and Surge so I'll have to employ some sort of sideways motion to sharpen those.

Since purchasing it I have noticed the Smith's sharpeners that Dean51 (RIP) showed for sale nearby.

Or wrap it in folds of sandpaper till it fits.

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 21, 2021, 03:44:27 AM
the most efficient way to sharpen a serrated blade is to remove material from the back by laying it completely flat onto a sharpening stone, it will take a little time but it will create a consistently sharp edge.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%