Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First Aid Kit

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: First Aid Kit
Reply #30 on: December 28, 2019, 11:37:49 PM
:like:

In my first aid kit I actually keep electrical tape instead of duct tape - The roll takes up less room in the bag that I have, and I assume its somewhat waterproof.
True true! A few times that electrical rolls come in handy, much easier to wrap things unlike duct tape where you have to take it off the roll first in order to use it,
So like wrapping a finger that has been sliced, rip off a piece of clothing, cover, then just go around and around with the electrical tape, vs, pulling a piece of duct tape off the roll then splitting it down the center, then possibly twisting the tape and going nuts..
only downer, is that the tape stretches, so if your not paying attention and you wrap your finger too tight in about 5min the end of it is going to be cold and change colors :whistle: lol, oh come on how many have done it,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: December 28, 2019, 11:46:16 PM
I have mine in an 8x6x4 pouch, its a bit large and goes in my backpack when I'm outdoors.

Contents (aside from bandaids and other obvious things)
hemostatic gauze
tweezers
small plastic container of saline solution
moleskin for blisters
a CPR mask

What I dont have but have considered:
a nasal airway (I didnt get one because I dont plan to carry the sort of mask that goes over the nose and mouth)
a tourniquet (its expensive)  :-\

Maybe consider getting a SWAT-Tourniquet.  It has not gone through or passed the stringent testing of the CoTCCC recommended TQs, but it is about 1/3 the cost.  The SWAT-T could also be used similar to an elastic bandage, to secure a splint, hold trauma dressing in place, or other uses.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: December 28, 2019, 11:59:45 PM
I keep a SWAT-T in my kits. Very hand piece of FAK gear.  :tu:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: December 29, 2019, 12:07:36 AM
True true! A few times that electrical rolls come in handy, much easier to wrap things unlike duct tape where you have to take it off the roll first in order to use it,
So like wrapping a finger that has been sliced, rip off a piece of clothing, cover, then just go around and around with the electrical tape, vs, pulling a piece of duct tape off the roll then splitting it down the center, then possibly twisting the tape and going nuts..
only downer, is that the tape stretches, so if your not paying attention and you wrap your finger too tight in about 5min the end of it is going to be cold and change colors :whistle: lol, oh come on how many have done it,,
JR

Precisely!  if you are careful about how much tangential tension you pull the roll with as you wrap round and round, it functions fairly safely as a pressure dressing. 

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: December 29, 2019, 12:34:42 AM
Maybe consider getting a SWAT-Tourniquet.  It has not gone through or passed the stringent testing of the CoTCCC recommended TQs, but it is about 1/3 the cost.  The SWAT-T could also be used similar to an elastic bandage, to secure a splint, hold trauma dressing in place, or other uses.

Interesting - and it seems like the print on it gives you an indication of how tight to pull, in a controlled manner.  I like that it can be used as a pressure dressing. 

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: December 29, 2019, 09:33:02 AM
:like:

In my first aid kit I actually keep electrical tape instead of duct tape - The roll takes up less room in the bag that I have, and I assume its somewhat waterproof.

To add on top of that, I took a Wilderness First Aid class long time ago, and one small tip I walked away was to give a small roll of medical tape to each of your friends in a group when hiking/camping together.  Those will come in very handy when anyone has a sprained ankle or when you need to fix something on the hike.

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #36 on: December 30, 2019, 03:44:54 AM
JR
I respectfully disagree.  Duct tape can be split on the roll and twisted round.  It's easier said than done and like every skill, it takes a bit of practice, but it's doable.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: December 30, 2019, 05:09:41 AM
I respectfully disagree.  Duct tape can be split on the roll and twisted round.  It's easier said than done and like every skill, it takes a bit of practice, but it's doable.
Oh I completely agree it is doable, and it’s not hard, but if two people had the same cut finger, one had duct tape and the other electrical, the one with the electrical tapes going to be done much quicker, that and the one with the duct tapes going to have blood all over it using two hands ripping the tape,,
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #38 on: December 31, 2019, 07:31:23 PM
Oh I completely agree it is doable, and it’s not hard, but if two people had the same cut finger, one had duct tape and the other electrical, the one with the electrical tapes going to be done much quicker, that and the one with the duct tapes going to have blood all over it using two hands ripping the tape,,
JR
Touche!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: December 31, 2019, 08:06:17 PM
I like the electrical tape idea, but I am a duct tape man. I have it in my FAKs and wrapped on my trekking poles/hiking staff.

Duct tape is the king of the first aid world. (I do have a Queen, though, see below.)

Duct tape is great for securing dressing, working in place of steri-strips or butterfly bandages, and (most important for me) dressing blisters. Plus, duct tape works in the field as 'first aid' for gear. Use it to repair a ripped jacket or tent.

ALWAYS HAVE DUCT TAPE!   :viking:

My 'Queen' of the FAK:

This stuff is fantastic. It sticks to skin better than any other tape I've tried. This makes it excellent as a blister/hot spot dressing. It does very well as a method of securing a wound dressing. It works very well in place of butterfly bandages to close a wound (same as duct tape, be sure to get the wound area clean and dry as possible).  I highly recommend a few feet of Leukotape in every FAK.   :tu:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: December 31, 2019, 08:33:43 PM
I find duct tape to stiff to do anything reasonable in a first aid situation with it. I seriously can't see any application where I would prefer it over medical tape that has more elasticity.

Band aid for small cuts
Thick gauze for more severe bleeding
Medical tape to secure gauze, stabilize fingers and stuff
Regular bandage to stabilize joints or secure the would gauze.

I think a lot of that stuff (menstrual pads as wound gauze, superglue, duct-tape, honey to disinfect etc) we see in those FAK guides/videos are clever plan B, but the FAK is Plan A and I don't think it belongs there.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: December 31, 2019, 08:46:59 PM
I find duct tape to stiff to do anything reasonable in a first aid situation with it. I seriously can't see any application where I would prefer it over medical tape that has more elasticity.

Band aid for small cuts
Thick gauze for more severe bleeding
Medical tape to secure gauze, stabilize fingers and stuff
Regular bandage to stabilize joints or secure the would gauze.

I think a lot of that stuff (menstrual pads as wound gauze, superglue, duct-tape, honey to disinfect etc) we see in those FAK guides/videos are clever plan B, but the FAK is Plan A and I don't think it belongs there.

True.  I have 2 kinds of actual medical tape as well.  but the electrical tape is a nice extra to have.  Its also good to fix equipment. 

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: December 31, 2019, 08:49:47 PM
My 'plan A' FAK contains both duct tape and superglue.

I also have some sterile sutures and the knowledge to use them, but that doesn't mean superglue and duct tape don't have a place.

Medical tape? 

I have some medical tape in some FAKs, but, having had some experience with medical tape, it doesn't come close to the performance of duct tape or leukotape. Medical tape is good for securing dressings or ace bandages in place. In dry conditions. That's about it. Medical tape is great for the hospital setting. In the woods, duct tape is the way to go.  :tu:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: December 31, 2019, 09:55:42 PM
True.  I have 2 kinds of actual medical tape as well.  but the electrical tape is a nice extra to have.  Its also good to fix equipment.
Nothing wrong with electrical- or duct tape. For me, it is just not something used in a FAK, but it does have broad range of application. Btw, so does superglue, I simply would not put that stuff on an open wound unless I have nothing else available. There is special super glue available for wounds (e.g. Dermabond or SurgiSeal) but honestly the application is rather limited (pretty much cleaned, clean small cuts). And unless you have medical superglue, it is too rigid and can create a larger wound. Shelf life is not great either.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: December 31, 2019, 10:06:11 PM
Nothing wrong with electrical- or duct tape. For me, it is just not something used in a FAK, but it does have broad range of application. Btw, so does superglue, I simply would not put that stuff on an open wound unless I have nothing else available. There is special super glue available for wounds (e.g. Dermabond or SurgiSeal) but honestly the application is rather limited (pretty much cleaned, clean small cuts). And unless you have medical superglue, it is too rigid and can create a larger wound. Shelf life is not great either.

Agree.  I wouldn't advocate using superglue for the same reason.  I would consider using Dermabond even then only on a small cut with a clean edge.  But for the most part, if a wound needs complex closure, its best to dress it and get to medical attention.  If you can't to medical attention, the wound will close as is (ugly but hopefully not dirty), or you will have bigger problems that superglue isn't going to fix. 

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: December 31, 2019, 10:21:31 PM
My 'plan A' FAK contains both duct tape and superglue.

I also have some sterile sutures and the knowledge to use them, but that doesn't mean superglue and duct tape don't have a place.

Medical tape? 

I have some medical tape in some FAKs, but, having had some experience with medical tape, it doesn't come close to the performance of duct tape or leukotape. Medical tape is good for securing dressings or ace bandages in place. In dry conditions. That's about it. Medical tape is great for the hospital setting. In the woods, duct tape is the way to go.  :tu:
Leukotape IS medical tape. Like with everything there is a ton of poor quality stuff around (I had "duct tape" that fell apart at the smallest tension, I had band-aids that pretty much didn't stick to anything after a while (really bad shelf life) and I have yet to find a purchased FAK with even decent medical tape). Test it out, buy what you like. If you like duct tape and it serves you, use duct tape...
If you want to look into medical tapes, I recommend 3M/Nexcare, great line of products.

Duct tape has a wide range of applications, but for me, I see no use for first-aid, certainly none where I would prefer it over medical tape. It is too rigid  and the body is not rigid and curved, so I prefer something stretchy. I rather have several variation of medical tape (waterproof, different degree of stiffness etc.)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #46 on: December 31, 2019, 10:50:44 PM
Nix is right, always have duct tape!
Thus why there’s a minimal amount on the keys, along with also a mini sak, and mini led flashlight, and with being on the keys you know your never leaving home without them!
JR

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: December 31, 2019, 11:32:59 PM
Nix is right, always have duct tape!
Thus why there’s a minimal amount on the keys, along with also a mini sak, and mini led flashlight, and with being on the keys you know your never leaving home without them!
JR
Duct tape sure is useful, so are USB-sticks and sunglasses. IMO, all of them make great EDC items, none of them belongs in a FAK (unless you have very limited space and mix FAK with EDC).

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #48 on: December 31, 2019, 11:42:00 PM
"Your FAK may vary"

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: December 31, 2019, 11:44:18 PM

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: December 31, 2019, 11:47:46 PM
Superglue for the win.....

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #51 on: December 31, 2019, 11:51:42 PM
  I highly recommend a few feet of Leukotape in every FAK.   :tu:

I have of heard of this mystical thing known as Leukotape, spoken of in hushed and reverent tones. 

And still there is word that there is yet another, ...

Gaffer's tape.  Not as much of a first aid but for other things, so useful.

Superglue vs. sutures.  In a perfect world do sutures.  I have super glue in my FAK's because I can't reliably do sutures especially on myself.  I can and have used superglue instead and got right back to work.   

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #52 on: January 01, 2020, 12:04:23 AM
Truth be told, I've Superglued myself many more times than I've sutured myself (x1). So the win goes to superglue, for me.

I like gaffer's tape, but.....always with a 'but'...... :dunno:.....it is not common....which is to say that my local hardware store doesn't carry it...and it tends to be oddly expensive.  So, again, for me, duct tape for the win.

I know for a fact that I can save lives with duct tape.  All other adhesive tapes remain to be tested. Volunteers are requested.  :D

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: January 01, 2020, 05:16:29 PM
I don't think I would have the guts to suture myself. So there's that. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%