Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bosch Pro 240

No Life Club Posts: 1,652

Ivo be

Bosch Pro
« on: September 26, 2019, 04:06:38 PM »
These are my favorite power tools, the Bosch Pro series. They are powerful light and very easy to handle. For me they are the best power tools available.

The Vikings say "when your battle axe is to short do one step forward"
No Life Club Posts: 1,352
Re: Bosch Pro
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 12:15:10 AM »
I haven't tried all the power tools out there, and there are various categories to be the best in, but the blue Bosch series is certainly good workhorses overall. I landed on Bosch many years ago after trying various others in the workhorse price segment. Their handheld machines are generally good. That said I'm a bit more dubious about some of their the larger stationary tools.

Over the years I've broken a straight grinder, an angle grinder, a bitdriver and a cutting saw. That actually isn't all that bad over an average tool lifetime of some 10-15 years or so. And while a few have died the large majority still keep chugging along nicely. My main gripe is that 14.4v batteries are hard to come by now.

Below is a picture of a well used old blue Bosch 14.4v "Brute" drill. Over the years I've come to understand the Brute nickname. First off because it is heavy and with lots of torque. Torque setting 5 on this one equals about a setting of 20 on the newer models.. It is a matter of troque over speed though as it is quite a bit slower too. Then there is the sheer refusal of this machine to break or die. Over the years it has survided the following - and it still works fine:
  • Forgot outside on the deck of a boat at sea. Salt water soaked - kept on chugging. Same with rain, snow and what not.
  • Dropped about 2m / 7 feet onto a concrete floor. No problem.
  • Dropped about 3.5m / 12 feet from a roof and down on some rocks. No problem.
  • Borrowed to relatives who managed to loose it into a bucket of concrete and submerge it. Found before the concrete hardened. Wiped off, still working, but with some concrete stains.
  • Dropped from about 3m /10 feet onto a concrete floor. Ventilation cover had to be glued back on. Otherwise fine.
I do believe that one is the exception though. Both the dead straight and angle grinder died after a simple fall on concrete from normal table height.

"If only simple wasn't so hard" - me
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 11,661
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 08:22:03 AM »
good choice

Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

Ivo be

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 05:33:30 PM »
I have some more of the small handheld tools from Bosch Pro and Bosch Green and also 2 hammer drills from Bosch Pro and never had problems with any of them.
I can't tell if the really big Bosch Pro tools are good of bad because I have other brands.  :hatsoff:

No Life Club Posts: 1,392
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 07:07:02 PM »
I have a set of the 12v Bosch stuff and it has been great.

I also have and use daily the Milwaukee M12 stuff and one thing that I have observed is that these both seem to me as though they are made in the same factory or at least with the same design and battery implementation for the small batteries at least?
The little Sawzalls are almost identical and I have been tempted more than once to find a way to adapt the tools/batteries to be able to be used across the brands.

I will get pics to show what I mean but they are a lot more alike than different is what I am saying. :whistle:
No Life Club Posts: 3,533
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 02:15:08 AM »
I have a set of the 12v Bosch stuff and it has been great.

I also have and use daily the Milwaukee M12 stuff and one thing that I have observed is that these both seem to me as though they are made in the same factory or at least with the same design and battery implementation for the small batteries at least?
The little Sawzalls are almost identical and I have been tempted more than once to find a way to adapt the tools/batteries to be able to be used across the brands.

I will get pics to show what I mean but they are a lot more alike than different is what I am saying. :whistle:

That's what I was thinking. A buddy of mine has the whole set, and I noticed how similar these Bosch are to it.   For my use, I really like the size of these tools. My friend of mine and I were working on a replumbing (rusted out steel and brittle PVC is failing) project in my folks' basement, and where his little Milwaukee mini Sawzall fit, I am sure the Dewalt my folks have would not.  Been considering getting the drill myself. Tired of dragging out an extension cord (I only personally own a vintage Millers Falls 2-A hand-crank drill, and 1/2 and 5/8 electric drills); or having to borrow my folks' tools.

Ivo be

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 11:49:55 PM »
I just bought another 12V set for only €99,99 in Germany.  :hatsoff:

-drill
-battery charger
-2 batteries
-complete bit-set
-carrying case

Donations