Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Scissor's spring broken (classic alox)

kek · 8 · 623

it Offline kek

• New User
Scissor's spring broken (classic alox)
on: February 28, 2021, 07:08:27 PM
Hello, it's my first post on this interesting forum.
Some time ago, I broke the scissor's spring on my classic alox sd. Now I watched some youtube videos and i realized that it's possible to change the spring with a new one.
I don't understand if it's covered by warranty or not. I'd prefer to receive a new spring and mount it, instead of having to send my knife, waiting to receive it etc...
I found some springs on the victorinox official site (https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Accessories/6-Pack-Small-Replacement-Scissor-Springs/p/A.6257) , but unfortunately it's out of stock. I also found some springs on ebay and amazon, but they are more expensive.
How would you proceed? Also, is it common to break the spring?

de Offline Masel

Re: Scissor's spring broken (classic alox)
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 08:00:09 PM
Welcome to the Forum,

I have bought a whole set of springs in different sizes, so in case one breaks. I can take a new one and replace it. It takes about 5 minutes.
Here in Germany a springs costs about 50 cent.
I don't want to send it to Victorinox and wait for the repair.

Greetings  :cheers:

Offline joeMap

Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 08:59:17 PM
Welcome to the forum!  I always like to save a dollar but here lately my thoughts have been to spend my money on those shops that share my interests (and prevent buying fakes, in the case of knives).  That said, many online knife shops will sell these springs (usually in packs of 6!) for a reasonable amount but you will almost certainly have to spend more on shipping than the springs themselves.  Also, springs come in 3 different sizes as far as I know, so be careful there.

Case in point, I recently broke a spring on an old Woodsman as I was cleaning it up after purchase (used).  The springs themselves were $1.50 but had to pay $3.99 shipping (US).  Of course, if you can bundle several items together, you can get free shipping if your total approaches the $100 mark.

Don’t know if you have other SAK’s but if not, buying a pack of springs will just provide incentive to buy more, lol!

Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline joeMap

Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 09:03:56 PM
Don’t know where you live (US or overseas) but this is worth checking out (if prohibited, Mods will remove).

https://www.swissknifeshop.com/collections/full-line-of-victorinox-swiss-army-knives/products/swiss-army-replacement-scissor-spring

Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fr Offline guibur

• Guillaume
Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 09:10:47 PM
Welcome kek!
I haven't been here for long myself (3 months) but you'll see it's a really great forum.

I think for scissors durability it depends on the use. Someone using them really often maybe we'll tell you that the spring can break from time to time and someone not using them very often....
In my case I got one broken once but it was not in good condition (spring).

You can buy all sort of spare parts, springs aren't really expensive and doesn't take much time to replace, I don't send it to Victorinox for that, life is too short  :rofl:
I would advise you to buy a bunch of springs so you're good for a moment :hatsoff:  :tu:

Be careful with the size though there are several of them, check out item number.
My first name : Guillaume + my name Bur***** = guibur

"Soyez grands par les faits, et simples en paroles."

My YouTube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbyvNcXV7KGEfQVgnCcY4Yg

it Offline kek

• New User
Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 09:32:45 PM
Thank you for the replies.
So the simplest thing it's to order some replacement springs, i found some on ebay at 2eur/piece (i live in Italy, just added it to my profile), i think i'll buy those.
Btw, at the moment i have 2 classic alox (black and silver), and i ordered a fieldmaster that will arrive in the next days.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 10:11:28 PM
Hello, it's my first post on this interesting forum.

Welcome to the forum kek! :cheers:

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 10:54:12 PM
Welcome, Kek, and enjoy your first spring fix! :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69