Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Climber vs Explorer 734

Full Member Posts: 206
Climber vs Explorer
« on: February 25, 2021, 01:45:27 AM »
I just recently got a Climber and love it.  However it got me thinking about the Explorer.  For those of you that have the Explorer is the Phillips worth the extra layer?  I find that can opener works pretty well and the Climber is very pocketable.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,951
Re: Climber vs Explorer
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 02:15:22 AM »
I just recently got a Climber and love it.  However it got me thinking about the Explorer.  For those of you that have the Explorer is the Phillips worth the extra layer?  I find that can opener works pretty well and the Climber is very pocketable.
That's the problem with these little gems, too many choices.  But to answer your question, I do think the extra layer is worth it, for me, because I like an inline Phillips.  I would suggest the Explorer plus because you get a pen and a pin in the scales....maybe the pin is always there, can't remember, but it adds the writing pen that works very well.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,818
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 03:24:47 AM »
Depends on if you like to have a 3D Phillips on you, i guess. Just remember that the Explorer is noticeable thicker than other 4 layers, due to the thickness of the Phillips/Mag layer.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,041
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 04:05:52 AM »
Whether or not it is worth it really depends.

Three layers is such a sweet spot for SAKs, especially if just throwing in a pocket, but the inline Phillips is really nice.  So for you it probably comes down to how much you need a 3D phillips vs how much a thicker SAK would bother you.

Personally, I use the inline phillips a decent amount and I also think the mag glass is pretty useful too.   I normally carry my SAK in pocket organizer in a cargo pocket in which case 4 layers doesn’t phase me.  However, if carrying loose in a front pocket, I feel anything larger than 3 layers is just uncomfortable. 

No Life Club Posts: 1,313 Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 04:46:29 AM »
Whether or not it is worth it really depends.

Three layers is such a sweet spot for SAKs, especially if just throwing in a pocket, but the inline Phillips is really nice.  So for you it probably comes down to how much you need a 3D phillips vs how much a thicker SAK would bother you.

Personally, I use the inline phillips a decent amount and I also think the mag glass is pretty useful too.   I normally carry my SAK in pocket organizer in a cargo pocket in which case 4 layers doesn’t phase me.  However, if carrying loose in a front pocket, I feel anything larger than 3 layers is just uncomfortable.

Ok, not nit-picking, just asking for clarification. Are we saying that an inline Phillips is the same thing as a 3D Phillips? Why the two terms? To me, every phillips I've ever seen on a 91mm knife has been a 3d phillips, whether it's on the magnifying glass layer, or on the backspring.

This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?
No Life Club Posts: 2,074
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 04:54:12 AM »
Ok, not nit-picking, just asking for clarification. Are we saying that an inline Phillips is the same thing as a 3D Phillips? Why the two terms? To me, every phillips I've ever seen on a 91mm knife has been a 3d phillips, whether it's on the magnifying glass layer, or on the backspring.

The tip of the can opener would be considered by many to be a 2D Phillips.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 05:17:09 AM »
Exactly as nate j said.  The inline phillips is a 3D phillips, as is the backside phillips.  The can opener can be used for some phillips screws, so some consider it a phillips driver, but it is not 3D (cross shaped). 
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 06:14:27 AM »
Exactly as nate j said.  The inline phillips is a 3D phillips, as is the backside phillips.  The can opener can be used for some phillips screws, so some consider it a phillips driver, but it is not 3D (cross shaped).

Ok, I see. But I would never call that a phillips driver, I would call it a flat-head or slotted screwdriver, which could in some cases be used to drive phillips screws.

Now I have seen what might be called a "2D" phillips driver on some multi-tools. It looks like a phillips, and is intended to act as one, but is flat and only has fakish cross lines on it to remind you what it's for. I think I've seen it on a Gerber MT....can't recall for sure. I was confused thinking that some people thought the backside phillips was only 2D.

This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?
No Life Club Posts: 2,424
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 07:31:42 AM »

Totally worth it. But mostly if it’s an older version, for the longer shank and the ability to drive much smaller screws. Like found in small electronics.  Pre-‘02 if you want the hook. Pre-‘91 if you don’t.

The ‘02+ stubby does have the advantage in confined spaces especially when 90° use is required or helpful.

And the magnifier was always useful to me. Moreso after I turned 40. Good for more than burning ants.

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going
No Life Club Posts: 2,552
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 08:24:19 AM »
If you don’t want the extra layer, and are happy with a combo tool and one blade only, then why not look at a Yeoman (with plus scales)? I had to mod one myself from an explorer and a compact, but it wasn’t that hard to do.... For me, it gives all the functions of an explorer in only 3 layers, but I know many miss the small blade and don’t get on with the combo tool preferring the opener layer.
No Life Club Posts: 1,342
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2021, 01:16:14 PM »

I guess the main thing is: what do or would you use a SAK's SD (phillips) for. That IMO would be the most important fact on wether you would be bothered to carry a 4 layer SAK just for the inline philips alone.
 For MY use i don't consider the inline phillips justifiable to carry a 4 layer SAK, even if i like that inline phillips. I rather carry my Deluxe Tinker that is the same thickness and gives me the pliers that's a lot more useful to me, and i also have the 3D phillips on the back, as well as the SD in the can opener. Anything more specific i can use the bottle opener with my SD bits. For more serious (non incidental) work i'll use an actual Philips SD. These days however, i get by with either a Rambler or Minichamp, it cover 90% of what i'd need. If i need a bigger blade i'll just grab the DT.

So from your two options i'd take the Climber (or the Super Tinker if you don't really need to have the CS...)  ;)

"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")
No Life Club Posts: 3,940
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2021, 01:45:29 PM »

In my view, the extra layer is definitely worth it to get the inline phillips.  The whole world is held together with phillips screws, and the inline driver gives you the reach and accessibility not available from the backside phillips or the 2D can opener.  As for the comfort of a 3-layer SAK vs. 4 layers, I cannot tell if either is in my pocket until I reach for it so for me that's a non-issue.  After a short while, one's brain becomes accustomed to your pocket toys and tends to forget about them.

No Life Club Posts: 1,396
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2021, 05:48:46 PM »
Depends on if you like to have a 3D Phillips on you, i guess. Just remember that the Explorer is noticeable thicker than other 4 layers, due to the thickness of the Phillips/Mag layer.

Do inline phillips drivers take more space than back-side ones?
No Life Club Posts: 1,364
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2021, 06:42:26 PM »
Do inline phillips drivers take more space than back-side ones?
They require an additional layer, so a Super Tinker is the same size as a Climber and an Explorer is thicker.

- Steve
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2021, 03:04:45 PM »
In my view, the extra layer is definitely worth it to get the inline phillips.  The whole world is held together with phillips screws, and the inline driver gives you the reach and accessibility not available from the backside phillips or the 2D can opener.  As for the comfort of a 3-layer SAK vs. 4 layers, I cannot tell if either is in my pocket until I reach for it so for me that's a non-issue.  After a short while, one's brain becomes accustomed to your pocket toys and tends to forget about them.[/i]

Yes, I agree. As has been said before, I suppose everybody eventually has their limit. I can carry a SwissChamp in my front pocket without it bothering me. I can carry 7 knives of different sizes (in the winter) and not notice. Not everybody can, and eventually summer comes and we shed layers..... at which point it becomes more critical.

I just sold my Swisschamp, though....time to buy another one. I hardly dared use it because I knew I was planning to resell it in nice condition.

But I agree, one's brain quickly adjusts to what you're carrying....may as well carry a lot more!

No Life Club Posts: 1,179 Queen's Venturer
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2021, 08:02:42 PM »
I can take or leave the inline Phillips. When I use the Explorer, it's so I can look at everything within 300km through the magnifying glass, like I'm an 8-year-old or something.
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2021, 08:22:40 PM »
When I use the Explorer, it's so I can look at everything within 300km through the magnifying glass, like I'm an 8-year-old or something.

They were funny an interesting as kids.  I’ll have to remember that.  So know when I need to use the magnifying glass to see small part or something, it isn’t because I’m getting old like an 80year old, it is because I’m Exploring like an 8 year old.
No Life Club Posts: 2,552
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2021, 09:06:22 PM »
 :iagree:I’m with you there, Sos24- I’m not blind, really...... :whistle:
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 25,839
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2021, 04:05:32 AM »
As someone who really likes the Explorer Plus I say YES.  The inline phillips is very nice and while I've used the can opener for phillips screws the inline is just so perfect.  I also appreciate the mag glass very much as well.  Its been clutch at the flea market for looking at tang stamps and other small print things.  I also like to look at a variety of other things just because I can.  The extra layer for me is non issue as I carry mine in a Skinth or Zermatt sheath. 

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
September Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: $194.10
PayPal Fees: $11.49
Net Balance: $182.61
Below Goal: $117.39
Site Currency: USD