Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help choosing a new Mora - Kansbol vs Buscraft Black

tom57 · 42 · 3658

Poll

What would you choose for a general purpose outdoors tool?

Mora Bushcraft Black
6 (31.6%)
Mora Kansbol
8 (42.1%)
Other
5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 18

00 Offline tom57

Help choosing a new Mora - Kansbol vs Buscraft Black
on: September 30, 2019, 07:21:11 PM
Hi guys,

Its my birthday coming up and I want to treat myself to a new knife. I've narrowed it down to the Kansbol and bushcraft black but am keen to hear what the consensus is.  I know one is carbon and one is stainless etc. Primary uses would be an all round camp craft knife, I usually carry a SAK huntsman for food prep etc and/or bahco laplander when required.

I already own the companion in stainless and a craftsman in carbon. I think im looking for the more robust option really.

Cheers,
Tom

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Help choosing a new Mora - Kansbol vs Buscraft Black
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 07:27:12 PM
Well, I voted for the Kansbol just because I like it better than the Bushcraft Black for no actual reason that I can readily explain. So far I'm the only one voting but others will chime in shortly.  In any case, you probably should just go ahead and get both. :pok:

edit, I see the vote is now a tie so you should definitely get both! It's the MTO way. :rofl:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 07:36:37 PM
I do own both, and voted for Mora Bushcraft black. 

I think with a thicker stock, Bushcraft Black will fit the bill for camp chores, such as carving, wood work or even light batoning better.  The handle of Bushcraft black does also fill my medium size hand better, which absorbs shock and apply force better than Kansbol as well.

Btw, happy bday in advance! :woohoo: :cheers:

se Offline RF52

Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 08:20:27 PM
I haven't tried or even held any of them so my vote is get both :pok:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

00 Offline tom57

Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 09:01:17 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I think im leaning towards the Bushcraft as i think the kansbol will be similar in terms of performance to my stainless companion. Keep the votes coming!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 09:02:14 PM
I voted Kansbol simply cause eventually you'll likely get the Bushcraft Black  :whistle:.  The Mora Bushcraft Black is a total winner in all areas you mention.  I figured why not try something a bit different than what you have ( Companion )?  The Kansbols handle is different enough and the blade profile is different enough to contrast with your Companion.  I like to try new things so between the two I'd choose the Kansbol.
Esse Quam Videri

se Offline RF52

Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 09:06:01 PM
I voted Kanbol also, as I remembered the blade is the same as my old Mora 2000 and that was a great knife until I misplaced it :tu:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 09:54:07 PM
The Bushcraft Black is a great all around knife! Great blade and ergonomic handle for long use. I enjoyed using mine.

That being said, I like my Garberg Carbon better....it's just gets everything "right" in every area IMO.  :tu:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 09:54:26 PM
You know, when you ask "should I get knife A or B?", there's always one idiot who says you should get knife C ...

Today I'm that idiot  :facepalm:.

Both the Kansbol and the Bushcraft Black have good things and, well, not bad, but not so good things about them:

I prefer the handle shape of the Kansbol, while the handle on the Bushcraft Black is the most comfortable, it is only comfortable in one position, while the handle on the Kansbol is comfortable in all positions, which is great when you do a lot of carving.

The Bushcraft Black is beefier and feels better for the more "heavy duty" stuff, while the Kansbol is more thin, and feels more like it was made more for the "precision" stuff.

The Bushcraft Black is made of Carbon steel, an awesome Carbon steel, but ... it needs more care.  The steel on the Kansbol is good, but it doesn't give the same feel as the Carbon steel, but ... Stainless, so no need to worry about it when you spend a couple of days in the outdoors.

So, if I were you I would go for the ...

Show content
Garberg  :D.

It has the most all round handle like the Kansbol (be it in a harder type of "plastic", but it feels even better in my opinion).  It has the beefy blade like the Bushcraft and... you get to choose between Carbon or Stainless (and the Stainless steel is more premium than the one on the Kansbol).

I know the Garberg is more pricey than the other two, but you can get some good deals on it these days (they've dropped quite a bit in price since they were launched, but they are still more expensive than the Kansbol, or even the Bushcraft Black).

To be honest, there's no such thing as a wrong choice when you have to pick one of the knives you suggested  ;).

Just my own humble opinion, as always  ;).

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 09:59:58 PM
You know, when you ask "should I get knife A or B?", there's always one idiot who says you should get knife C ...

Today I'm that idiot  :facepalm:.

Both the Kansbol and the Bushcraft Black have good things and, well, not bad, but not so good things about them:

I prefer the handle shape of the Kansbol, while the handle on the Bushcraft Black is the most comfortable, it is only comfortable in one position, while the handle on the Kansbol is comfortable in all positions, which is great when you do a lot of carving.

The Bushcraft Black is beefier and feels better for the more "heavy duty" stuff, while the Kansbol is more thin, and feels more like it was made more for the "precision" stuff.

The Bushcraft Black is made of Carbon steel, an awesome Carbon steel, but ... it needs more care.  The steel on the Kansbol is good, but it doesn't give the same feel as the Carbon steel, but ... Stainless, so no need to worry about it when you spend a couple of days in the outdoors.

So, if I were you I would go for the ...

Show content
Garberg  :D.

It has the most all round handle like the Kansbol (be it in a harder type of "plastic", but it feels even better in my opinion).  It has the beefy blade like the Bushcraft and... you get to choose between Carbon or Stainless (and the Stainless steel is more premium than the one on the Kansbol).

I know the Garberg is more pricey than the other two, but you can get some good deals on it these days (they've dropped quite a bit in price since they were launched, but they are still more expensive than the Kansbol, or even the Bushcraft Black).

To be honest, there's no such thing as a wrong choice when you have to pick one of the knives you suggested  ;).

Just my own humble opinion, as always  ;).

Very well and intelligently said TG-24!  :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 10:20:58 PM
To be honest, I can not help you since I do not or have handled either.  I do have a Companion HD and very happy with it. 

But, it is also my opinion, that if you are undecided and have to come here and create a poll, then you are not ready to select either knife.

Let your spouse or best friend select and surprise you on your birthday.  Then it will have sentimental value and you will always enjoy using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 02:54:26 AM
I voted Other.  I love my Mora Garberg in SS, and that's what I would recommend.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: October 01, 2019, 03:02:13 AM
I voted Other.  I love my Mora Garberg in SS, and that's what I would recommend.

:salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 03:18:36 AM
I voted Kansbol simply cause eventually you'll likely get the Bushcraft Black  :whistle: .  The Mora Bushcraft Black is a total winner in all areas you mention.  I figured why not try something a bit different than what you have ( Companion )?  The Kansbols handle is different enough and the blade profile is different enough to contrast with your Companion.  I like to try new things so between the two I'd choose the Kansbol.

Very interesting approach, is that the excuse to keep on searching for the perfect tool? >:D :pok: :D

In terms of Garberg, I have the stainless version, and unlike most others, it's one of my least favorite Mora.(I'll be the devil advocate here >:D [size=78%])  [/size]

Maybe I have grown too accustomed to their classic offerings, I have always like their tools for the great value and decent QC, and above all, lightweight while remaining functional.  Most of the Mora I have, they are either really lightweight or perfectly balanced.

But the second I pickup my Garberg, it was a minor let down to me.  Somehow, the handle just felt wrong(to me), and the balance is "off".  It also felt rather "heavy" relative to it's size, and "clunky" to use. 

In contrast, my Becker Kephart is a much larger knife, but due to it's clever design and construction, it actually feel 30% lighter than my Garberg in hand(they are actually the same weight), while retaining it's full tang construction.  I know it's much pricier knife, but this is properly one of my all time favorites, alongside with my Bushcraft black:

My writeup for Garberg in the 30 days challenge
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,81639.msg2007651.html#msg2007651

Write up for Becker Kephart in the same challenge
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,81639.msg2008075.html#msg2008075

Of course, another of my favorite, Bushcraft survival
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,81639.msg2002561.html#msg2002561

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 07:07:40 AM
I say yes,  This is a great way to keep searching for the "perfect" next tool  :whistle:.  I just keep saying I'm testing new stuff out  :rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: October 01, 2019, 07:18:16 AM
I say yes,  This is a great way to keep searching for the "perfect" next tool  :whistle:.  I just keep saying I'm testing new stuff out  :rofl:.

:D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: October 01, 2019, 07:54:36 AM
I say yes,  This is a great way to keep searching for the "perfect" next tool  :whistle: .  I just keep saying I'm testing new stuff out  :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 01, 2019, 12:36:20 PM
I voted "other" despite the fact that my Bushcraft Black (survival edition  :drink:) is one of my favourite knives.

Funny that because it sucks at food prep and we don't have soft woods suitable to the grind, that's what I would change.

I prefer the Kansbol over the Garberg, the latter feels very heavy to me, and that thin front half of the blade on the Kansbol should be very practical.

Personally I'd scratch my itch by getting something else from the Companion range.

Of all the unused knives in my collection the Moras, excluding the Bushcraft Black, comes with the least guilt and buyers remorse due to the low prices.

:cheers:

00 Offline tom57

Reply #18 on: October 01, 2019, 04:38:38 PM
I didnt think the poll would be even across all options! But thank you to all who have voted and commented. It seems the Garberg as well as the others all are all pretty popular. I think the issue is Mora doesnt really make a bad knife!

I like LoopCutters idea of letting it be chosen for me then it has sentimental value. and Comis ill have a look through your reviews too.

@Aloha the problem is too many knives and not enough tests! I always feel guilty buying things i dont really need, saying that I actually have a Mora classic 2/0 on its way in the post (not affecting this poll btw)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: October 02, 2019, 06:11:31 AM
My recent purchase was totally want vs need...... well, I kinda feel like I needed a fixed blade in S30V since I didn't have one  :whistle:.  I really wanted to test out if S30V was chippy.   :facepalm: theres just no hope sometimes.  The force is strong and I'm weak  :gimme:.  I do carry and use them so that makes me feel a bit better.  My partner then has to hear me drone on as I retell my usages and thoughts  :D.  She's a good woman and partner.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: October 02, 2019, 02:10:28 PM
Want vs need...my dad loved this saying! He was very big on the need part. but when you come across something really good, he would buy a second one!   :rofl:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: October 02, 2019, 02:17:49 PM
Want vs need...my dad loved this saying! He was very big on the need part. but when you come across something really good, he would buy a second one!   :rofl:

:rofl:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: October 02, 2019, 04:17:31 PM
I had the same dilemma a while ago and opted for the Kansbol.  Like you I did it sight unseen but I don't regret my choice.  Has to be one of my favourite sheath knives I own of any price point. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: October 02, 2019, 07:44:45 PM
I'd say Garberg too.

Love mine... Absolutely love it!

All the fixed blade I need.

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: October 03, 2019, 02:44:47 PM
I would get the Bushcraft, I have that one and love it
Send In the spartans

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: October 03, 2019, 06:43:04 PM
Here's another one you might like. The Finn hawk. I would put up there with any mora for quality and coolness. love it as much as my buchcrafter
IMG_20191003_124237.jpg
* IMG_20191003_124237.jpg (Filesize: 411.69 KB)
Send In the spartans

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #26 on: October 03, 2019, 06:49:07 PM
Typical MTO poll results...

The two knives to choose from get the same amount of votes, and on top of that, you get other suggestions that are equally great...

:facepalm:

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: October 03, 2019, 09:23:20 PM

The two knives to choose from get the same amount of votes, and on top of that, you get other suggestions that are equally great...

:rofl: oops! :facepalm: I can always find more........ :whistle: :whistle: :D
Send In the spartans

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: October 03, 2019, 09:24:39 PM

One more other and we have a complete stalemate :D
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: October 03, 2019, 09:39:01 PM
I voted other, mostly because I don't get along with Moras so well, their grind just does not feel right for me.
No recommendation from me, I have neither use a fixed blade often enough nor do I have enough to compare. That said, my goto fixed blade is the Fällkniven WM1.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%